No Paper Tigers!!!!: The Monk Handbook

1637 posts / 0 new
Last post
Weapon properties only apply to powers used with them.

Really? I thought the property/power in question had to say that (e.g. "with this weapon"). Prime Shot weapon doesn't say it.

I think I still prefer my Centered Breath Monk with Starblade Flurry + Unseen Hand PP (extra flurry within 10 w/hand crossbow) + Nusemnee's Atonement and allies with Agile Opportunist to slide 2-4 allies per turn and have them make MBAs as IRs.  I played him in an epic oneshot game, and it was fun.  Rushing Cleats + Centered Master for a slide 3, 1 extra target in 5, 1 extra target in 10.

The only issue I had was the targeting change from 11 to 21.  It went from any target (ally or enemy) to enemies only adjacent.  Can you downgrade level dependant "upgrades" lol?
Ours is a world where people don't know what they want, and are willing to go through hell to get it. -Don Marquis
Weapon properties only apply to powers used with them.

Really? I thought the property/power in question had to say that (e.g. "with this weapon"). Prime Shot weapon doesn't say it.

AV p 56.
Internalize the Basic Kata is basically Heavy Blade Opportunity on steroids except you don't need heavy blades. You also add your monk striker bonus and the effect of the flurry to all enemies adjacent to you when you took the oa. All this and you usually get to add about 5 damage to your mba unless you're a stonefist. May not be gold but it's pretty good. Lot of HBO users would love to have the oa do what monks can do.
You need to have a hand free (or drop and pick up a weapon constantly), and use ki focus. If the feat didn't require either of these things, it would be sky blue. As is, it's black for non ki focus users. Personally, I'm not willing to lower my defenses and damage, and lose a feat, on my level 18 lfr monk.
What do you guys think about Endless Quiver for Unseen Hand monks?  Would the wording eliminate the need for Fast Hands/Battle Harness/Etc to reload the crossbow for the extra flurry target?
Endless Quiver Level 9 Common
Show
When you attack with a bow or a crossbow, you can reach into the quiver, causing the quiver to produce a nonmagical arrow or bolt for the attack. Ammunition created by the quiver that is not used within 1 round of its creation disappears. For all other ammunition, the quiver works like a normal item of its type.

Ours is a world where people don't know what they want, and are willing to go through hell to get it. -Don Marquis
No.  The Endless Quiver only eliminates the need to buy mundane ammo, it doesn't eliminate the need to reload.

Though, strictly, I don't think the Crossbow Flurry actually uses ammunition, as it's an implement attack.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
I found it strange because the quiver's trigger is when you attack, not when you reload.  So I am reading it automatically reloads every time you fire.  Or rather, right before you fire.
Though, strictly, I don't think the Crossbow Flurry actually uses ammunition, as it's an implement attack.

Arms of the Unseen Way (11th level): You gain proficiency with the hand crossbow. When you use your Flurry of Blows power, you can target an additional creature within 10 squares of you with that power by firing a loaded hand crossbow that you are holding. This does not provoke opportunity attacks. 
Seems like you need a loaded crossbow... and you use the ammo to me.  Also, flurry is not an implement attack or a weapon attack.
Ah, yeah.  Was thinking of the wrong thing.

I was thinking of Starblade Flurry, for which you only need to be holding a dagger, you never actually throw it.  IIRC.

I'm not sure about the quiver now - but then, a Hand Crossbow loads free anyway, so it's pretty irrelevant.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Ah, yeah.  Was thinking of the wrong thing.

I was thinking of Starblade Flurry, for which you only need to be holding a dagger, you never actually throw it.  IIRC.

I'm not sure about the quiver now - but then, a Hand Crossbow loads free anyway, so it's pretty irrelevant.

You still need a free hand to load a hand crossbow, or any other load free weapon (like a sling).  It's the hand free specified in the definition of "load free" that is problematic, and the quiver does nothing to remove that criteria. 
Question can you use Monks Unarmed Strike with two weapon attacks?

I am making a fighter brawler that will take the Shock Trooper PP but people are saying you can and

can't used Monks unarmed strike with two weapon powers.  Since you literally wrote the book on

Monk I thought you should know.

If you are wondering how i got monks unarmed strike on a fighter I took the monastic Disciple feat.

I am making a fighter brawler that will take the Shock Trooper PP but people are saying you can and

can't used Monks unarmed strike with two weapon powers.  Since you literally wrote the book on

If you are wondering how i got monks unarmed strike on a fighter I took the monastic Disciple feat.

The monk unarmed rules and the ki focus rules were written badly and are, at best, unclear.   As a result, the only person's opinion that should matter is your DM's, as is the case with all unclear and/or non-sensical rules. 

To give you a clear ruling, you need a clear defintion of "wield" which WoTC has never provided.  In addition, you would need Monk Unarmed Strike clarified.  The most common definitions of "wield"  that WoTC uses is "are able to attack with."  By this defintion, you can simultaneously wield the Monk Unarmed Strike in each hand, as you are able to attack with the Monk Unarmed Strike with either hand.   

Does wielding the Monk Unarmed Strike in both hands mean you are wielding two weapons?  The whole question is sort of stupid IMO.   RAW COULD be read as saying the monk unarmed strike is a single weapon.  I mean how crazy is it that you are wielding a weapon in the main hand and the off hand, but then oops sorry they could be construed as the same weapon so you can't use the attack power.  However, RAW COULD also be interpreted as you wielding infinite monk unarmed strikes if you have one hand free, as you could elbow, kick, toe jab, punch, head butt, pinky jab, etc.  Which of these interpretations is correct, well that's up to your DM.

Honestly, the only time I would worry about this sort of thing is if you're playing LFR or some other living campaign.  In that case, you may have some table variation from time to time, but 99% of DMs won't even ask what weapons you are wielding.
I currently DM for a group of fairly new players, we first started playing with third edition rules since I was more familiar with those rules. When I got a handle handle on Fourth Edition we started a new campaign. One player wanted to convert his third edition monk character so I've been helping him out and he wanted to be an unarmed monk wearing no armor.

So I did the following...

The character just turned Level 2
Race: Human
Monk / Centered Breath / Stone Fist
Abilities: Str 14, Con 13, Dex 18, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 8
Powers: Five Storms, Fallen Needle, Steel Wind, Open the Gate of Battle, Masterful Spiral, Supreme Flurry
Feats: Unarmored Agility, Improved Monk Unarmed Strike, Implement Focus (Ki Fucuses) *but wondering if Superior Implement Training (Mighty Ki Focus) should have been used sooner*
AC: 19, Fort 15, Ref 17, Will 16
Wears a Brooch of no Regrets (+1 to Fort, Ref, & Will)

Hopefully I did ok on helping him build his monk character, but wanted to see if anyone here had some suggestions that could make it better and keep the unarmored unarmed attack build.

As a DM I'm open to any of the rules interpretations, keep in mind the player is fairly new to the game and using the online character builder to make the character with.

Is it possible to give this player's Monk cold/frost based attacks with his unarmed strike?

Should his next feat choice be Superior Impolement Training (Mighty Ki Focus)?

What kind of Ki Focus or Superior Implement Mighty Ki Focus should the character be using? I Noticed that the online character builder is a little limited on its choices on these, unless I'm not using it correctly.

Thanks.
I currently DM for a group of fairly new players, we first started playing with third edition rules since I was more familiar with those rules. When I got a handle handle on Fourth Edition we started a new campaign. One player wanted to convert his third edition monk character so I've been helping him out and he wanted to be an unarmed monk wearing no armor.

Powers: Five Storms, Fallen Needle, Steel Wind, Open the Gate of Battle, Masterful Spiral, Supreme Flurry
Feats: Unarmored Agility, Improved Monk Unarmed Strike, Implement Focus (Ki Fucuses) *but wondering if Superior Implement Training (Mighty Ki Focus) should have been used sooner*

Hopefully I did ok on helping him build his monk character, but wanted to see if anyone here had some suggestions that could make it better and keep the unarmored unarmed attack build.

As a DM I'm open to any of the rules interpretations, keep in mind the player is fairly new to the game and using the online character builder to make the character with.

Is it possible to give this player's Monk cold/frost based attacks with his unarmed strike?

What kind of Ki Focus or Superior Implement Mighty Ki Focus should the character be using? I Noticed that the online character builder is a little limited on its choices on these, unless I'm not using it correctly.

Thanks.

A few notes:

You need to start with a dex of 20 as a monk.  It controls damage, AC and attack bonus, so it needs to be as high as possible. 

You have him listed as both a Centered Breath and Stone fist.  Those traditions are mutually exclusive, so you need to pick one or the other.  Similarly, you need to change around his stats as he currently has two secondary stats.   

Improved Monk Unarmed Strike doesn't do anything for monks, as monks only make implement attacks that don't benefit from the [w] damage.

Accurate ki focus is the best one for DPR unless you primarily make reflex attacks in which the Mighty Ki Focus would be slightly better.  I would take the Superior implement istead of Improved Monk Unarmed Strike. 

Ki focus Expertise also will give more damage than implement focus, as +1 to hit is more important than +1 damage.

Frost damage actually is a hinderance for monks before paragon tier (and Frost Cheese become viable), as cold damage is more likely to be  resisted than untyped damage.

As for house rules, I would allow him to count as attacking with unarmed strikes when he's using the ki focus.  If you do this, he might like Fighting Fury more than Supreme Flurry. 
Not sure if this will help the discussion much, since CS is hilariously unreliable and not a rule source, but here's my interaction regarding the MUS question:

Can you dual wield Monk Unarmed Strike? Would you be able to use MUA for Twin Strike?

Thank you for your great questions. You can definitely dual wield the Unarmed Strike. It would fall under the Unarmed attacks and Off -hand attack rules found on page 216 (Unarmed) and 217 (off-hand) of the Players Handbook. As such, this would then meet the requirement of Twin Strike to be wielding two melee weapons. A simple unarmed attack is treated as an improvised weapon.

Thanks.

A few notes:

You need to start with a dex of 20 as a monk.  It controls damage, AC and attack bonus, so it needs to be as high as possible. 

You have him listed as both a Centered Breath and Stone fist.  Those traditions are mutually exclusive, so you need to pick one or the other.  Similarly, you need to change around his stats as he currently has two secondary stats.   

Improved Monk Unarmed Strike doesn't do anything for monks, as monks only make implement attacks that don't benefit from the [w] damage.

Accurate ki focus is the best one for DPR unless you primarily make reflex attacks in which the Mighty Ki Focus would be slightly better.  I would take the Superior implement istead of Improved Monk Unarmed Strike. 

Ki focus Expertise also will give more damage than implement focus, as +1 to hit is more important than +1 damage.

Frost damage actually is a hinderance for monks before paragon tier (and Frost Cheese become viable), as cold damage is more likely to be  resisted than untyped damage.

As for house rules, I would allow him to count as attacking with unarmed strikes when he's using the ki focus.  If you do this, he might like Fighting Fury more than Supreme Flurry. 

I fixed the character so that he's now only the Centered Breath build.

I changed his Dexterity from 18 up to 20 (18 and using the human's +2 = 20), are these stats better STR 11, CON 10, DEX 20, INT 10, WIS 14, CHA 8?

For the Powers I changed Supreme Flurry to Fighting Furry since I'm fine with allowing the character to attack with unarmed strikes using hi ki focus, it makes sense to me.

I removed the Improved Unarmed Strike Feat and changed it to Superior Implement Training (Mighty ki focus) since many of his attacks target Reflex.

Point taken on the frost damage, I'll have to go back and look your book again, don't remember if you had magic items listed that work well, are there some magic items that you would recommend that would work well for this character? Could come from any book.

I appreciate the help and insight and I think these changes will make a better character to play.

Thanks.

A few notes:

I fixed the character so that he's now only the Centered Breath build.

I changed his Dexterity from 18 up to 20 (18 and using the human's +2 = 20), are these stats better STR 11, CON 10, DEX 20, INT 10, WIS 14, CHA 8?

For the Powers I changed Supreme Flurry to Fighting Furry since I'm fine with allowing the character to attack with unarmed strikes using hi ki focus, it makes sense to me.

I removed the Improved Unarmed Strike Feat and changed it to Superior Implement Training (Mighty ki focus) since many of his attacks target Reflex.

Point taken on the frost damage, I'll have to go back and look your book again, don't remember if you had magic items listed that work well, are there some magic items that you would recommend that would work well for this character? Could come from any book.

I appreciate the help and insight and I think these changes will make a better character to play.

There are a variety of ok ki focus.  Nothing really that stands out in my opinion unless you're making multiple attacks per turn, which the build isn't aiming toward from what I can tell.  Dragonshards are out by RAW, but houseruling them to work as fist wraps or something would allow the unarmed monk up into the same ballpark as weapon users.  The weapon users have access to feats that unarmed don't get access to, so even with dragonshard being allowed, unarmed still is weaker than using a weapon.   

Rushing Cleats are the only really good item for a CB monk, and you don't get those until level 7, but they don't really shine until paragon.  Also refluffing wrist razors into bracers or something might be helpful, so he can enchant the arms slot with something defensive or offensive, but that isn't necessary per se for an effective monk.       
In the few times we've played and the encounters the group (Cleric, Ranger, & Monk) have fought in, I've been trying to watch everyone's style of play. The player that has the Monk likes using the burst and blast powers the most. In the meantime I might look into some powers that the player might like and possibly modify the character for getting multiple attacks per turn. Then I could hand out a magical ki focus as a treasure reward and it would be more useful.

We'll have to see if the player continues to go unarmed or if at some point he decides to pick up a weapon. If he just doesn't want the character to use a weapon ever, then I might houserule something to help him out.

I find myself and the players tweaking the characters every so often as they find out what they enjoy playing. As a DM I've always been open to minor character adjustments as the game goes on. I've played a character in a long term campaign and found that occasionally I would find something in the rules that I didn't notice or take into account when I made the character and wanted to make change because it fit the character and play style better.

DM and players are both after the same goal, to be involved in fun game where both sides contribute to an enjoyable story that everyone likes to be a part of.
In the few times we've played and the encounters the group (Cleric, Ranger, & Monk) have fought in, I've been trying to watch everyone's style of play. The player that has the Monk likes using the burst and blast powers the most.

It's indeed the absolute best way to play the Monk: they're built as multi-target closerange fighters, and their Flurry of Blows and tremendous amount of burst/blast powers reflect that (notice that Flurry of Blows gives better benefits on targets that were never hit, discouraging focus-fire).

We'll have to see if the player continues to go unarmed or if at some point he decides to pick up a weapon. If he just doesn't want the character to use a weapon ever, then I might houserule something to help him out.

His best weapon option, if he ever decides to do so, would be a Spear - Pointed Step Style can make Centered Breath Flurry of Blows into something quite hilarious, as he can drag enemies that're two squares away closer to him for future burst attacks, and otherwise just monstrously good Control utility.  He doesn't even really have to attack with it, just kinda hold it.
DM and players are both after the same goal, to be involved in fun game where both sides contribute to an enjoyable story that everyone likes to be a part of.

Indeed. :3

The monk unarmed rules and the ki focus rules were written badly and are, at best, unclear.   As a result, the only person's opinion that should matter is your DM's, as is the case with all unclear and/or non-sensical rules. 

To give you a clear ruling, you need a clear defintion of "wield" which WoTC has never provided.  In addition, you would need Monk Unarmed Strike clarified.  The most common definitions of "wield"  that WoTC uses is "are able to attack with."  By this defintion, you can simultaneously wield the Monk Unarmed Strike in each hand, as you are able to attack with the Monk Unarmed Strike with either hand.   

Does wielding the Monk Unarmed Strike in both hands mean you are wielding two weapons?  The whole question is sort of stupid IMO.   RAW COULD be read as saying the monk unarmed strike is a single weapon.  I mean how crazy is it that you are wielding a weapon in the main hand and the off hand, but then oops sorry they could be construed as the same weapon so you can't use the attack power.  However, RAW COULD also be interpreted as you wielding infinite monk unarmed strikes if you have one hand free, as you could elbow, kick, toe jab, punch, head butt, pinky jab, etc.  Which of these interpretations is correct, well that's up to your DM.

Honestly, the only time I would worry about this sort of thing is if you're playing LFR or some other living campaign.  In that case, you may have some table variation from time to time, but 99% of DMs won't even ask what weapons you are wielding.

Thank you very much.  For the sake of the build I will stick with two weapon attacks.

So messing around with a build concept. How well does a Elf spiked chain monk work out? Any great flail feats I can use? Also would any of the other Elf racial traits be a better idea then the standard Elf? Wood Elf doesn't look to bad, you have ridicoulous Intiative for one plus they get a nice stealth feature. So any suggestions?
Spiked chain does nothing for a monk.  It doesn't give you reach with your monk powers, it doesn't improve your accuracy, there is no monk feat support for it, it costs a feat (while other 1-H flails can be gotten with a backgrond if you really want flail feats), and it takes two hands, which means no starblade flurry.

If you want spiked chain monk pick a class like fighter, ranger, or cleric and then mc monk and maybe take one of the new martial arts type themes.  I have a cleric spiked chain build that does that in my cleric build handbook that has a good monk feel to it, but is not a monk class.
Spiked chain does nothing for a monk.  It doesn't give you reach with your monk powers, it doesn't improve your accuracy, there is no monk feat support for it, it costs a feat (while other 1-H flails can be gotten with a backgrond if you really want flail feats), and it takes two hands, which means no starblade flurry.

If you want spiked chain monk pick a class like fighter, ranger, or cleric and then mc monk and maybe take one of the new martial arts type themes.  I have a cleric spiked chain build that does that in my cleric build handbook that has a good monk feel to it, but is not a monk class.

Yeah I sort of realizied that.....darn I really like the concept to. Maybe Rogue-Monk..oh well.
Wood Elf doesn't look to bad, you have ridicoulous Intiative for one plus they get a nice stealth feature. So any suggestions?

If your build is really tight on feats and you want the benefit of improved/superior initiative without having to spend a feat on it, the Wood Elf isn't a bad option, but losing the attack reroll from Elven Accuracy hurts. Plus, being a Dex primary class, your initiative is going to be good to begin with.

Wood Elf doesn't look to bad, you have ridicoulous Intiative for one plus they get a nice stealth feature. So any suggestions?

If your build is really tight on feats and you want the benefit of improved/superior initiative without having to spend a feat on it, the Wood Elf isn't a bad option, but losing the attack reroll from Elven Accuracy hurts. Plus, being a Dex primary class, your initiative is going to be good to begin with.

Yeah it was more "Hmm I have a  elf mini that has a spiked chain, hmm I should make a character for that". Then I loaded up the builder and saw the new elf features. I was just wondering if they were any good.
Then I loaded up the builder and saw the new elf features. I was just wondering if they were any good.

I like them for Wisdom primary characters, since it effectively gives you the benefit of Battlewise and Improved/Superior Initiative at the same time. For anyone else, I wouldn't bother unless you really need more initiative but can't free up any room in your feat build.

If I use Starblade Flurry at a foe 5 squares from me, and I am a Centred Breath monk, does the foe slide adjacent to me from 5 squares away?
If I use Starblade Flurry at a foe 5 squares from me, and I am a Centred Breath monk, does the foe slide adjacent to me from 5 squares away?

No.  They're slid 1 square in any direction, as they cannot be originally targeted by Flurry of Blows.

If you cannot slide the target of the monk power and flurry of blows adjacent to you, you cannot slide them at all.

Want anime-style Power cards? Then try the Touhou Power Cards!

If you cannot slide the target of the monk power and flurry of blows adjacent to you, you cannot slide them at all.

That is only true if the target of the FoB was also a target of the triggering attack.  If the FoB target wasn't a target of the triggering attack, you can slide the enemy in any direction 1 square.
Can you check your formatting?  Some of the sblocks don't seem to work right...
Whether they work or not depend on your browser. I've tried numerous times to fix it, but the forum isn't coded well. Especially given that on my ie, it looks fine.

I've leveled Master Pai Mei, my Iron Soul monk build, to level 20. Might be interesting to link in the Builds section? See sig for link.

I got a chance to play a monk in a one-shot! It was basically the Sparrow build, which I've been wanting to try for awhile. So many games are Essentials-only these days.

I have a sinking feeling that when 5e rolls around, 60 to 70% of the playerbase will migrate onwards completely oblivious to the awesomeness of the 4e monk. Essentials (and Encounters) came out fairly close on PHB3's heels. Furthermore, Monks are purportedly Psionic (despite 0 power points) and Psionics is hated at many tables. It's not all the fault of restrictive DMs, though; players often opt to play a nice simple Rogue or Sorcerer after trying to figure out whether the monk's "role" is tank, striker, or controller.

Low-level Iron Soul play is tons of fun - I'd call it a highly durable, mobile, melee-range controller with near-striker damage. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try out Centered Breath if I can find a decent gang playing less restrictive 4e.

Thanks so much for the guide! Now to build and fantasize my next monk, which I hopefully get a chance to play sometime this year.
FK, Is there a reason you left off Shade from your list of races?

J
Because it is that bad? 

I would pick almost any other dex boosting race over a shade if making a monk.  About the only thing it gives you is a free skill training, dark vision, and dex bonus at the cost of a surge.  I would make it an iron soul build partly to make up for the healing surge loss if I was going to build one.

Kenku is the only race that competes with Shade for that spot and its not a supported race.  Even changeling brings more.
Because it is that bad? 

I would pick almost any other dex boosting race over a shade if making a monk.  About the only thing it gives you is a free skill training, dark vision, and dex bonus at the cost of a surge.  I would make it an iron soul build partly to make up for the healing surge loss if I was going to build one.

Kenku is the only race that competes with Shade for that spot and its not a supported race.  Even changeling brings more.

Hell, Kenku has some decent Striker support in its Combat Advantage bonuses.  Shade just has nothing going for it.

How about this combo of feats:

1. Slashing Kama Style from Dragon 404: "When you use your flurry of blows power while you are wielding a sickle, choose one target of the power that is adjacent to you. The target instead takes ongoing damage equal to the damage that you would have dealt to it with the power."

2. Pernicious Onslaught: "When a creature fails a saving throw against ongoing damage from one of your attacks, one creature adjacent to it takes fire and necrotic damage equal to the ongoing damage. If you have the Student of the Plague feat, the damage is equal to the ongoing damage plus 5"

3. Student of the Plague: See above.

4. Beshaba's Boon: "Each time an enemy fails a saving throw against an effect you imposed, you gain 5 temporary hit points."

Now if you could just find something to penalize their saves!.

Keep in mind that Beshaba's Boon also compliments other monk AOE's where you stun, slow, daze etc.

I did something pretty similar in my Stone Fist Mantis Style build, but I decided against the Spellscarred stuff.
Add in the Wilden's Briar Thorns feat and a pair of Bloodhound Bracers, and you've got Master Pai Mei, the defender monk build in my sig. 
Sign In to post comments