No Paper Tigers!!!!: The Monk Handbook

1637 posts / 0 new
Last post
Question are you considered weilding a weapon with the unarmed strike class feature?

Im making a fighter/monk hybrid using the brawler style to have a +6 profiency with my fist.
I was hoping im considered weilding a weapon so i get other benefits of the brawler style.

Wield is never defined in a clear consistent manner.  Sometimes it means "holding" or "able to attack with."  Othertimes it means "attacking with"

My guess is that you are counted as wielding a weapon when you have access to the unarmed strike class feature, as unarmed is a weapon group.  Spiked gauntlets also would do it however.   

I present Enc. Finally a way to get multiple fey steps on a eladrin. I got the idea from a wizard using hellfire staff. I adapted it to the monk. Enc can switch to fire burst and recharge fey step or opt to use thunder and have a larger burst. Unfortunately I can't figure how to do both. Thank to the theme I can fey step as a minor and take an ally

Dragon4e-
I always enjoy your builds.  I'm not doubting that it works, but I'm not seeing how you're recharging Fey Step.  I'm guessing it's some sort of item synergy, but if you could explain how it works, I'd appreciate it.
Certainly, hellfire staff has a property. On crit, regain an encounter power with the fear or fire keyword that you have expended in this encounter. Also the at will power of the staff is fire keyword on melee and close attacks dealt by the staff. The wizard build was using this and archmage to change pristmatic spray to an encounter power and using the staff to recharge it. It was so awesome I swiped it for the monk. Ok Enc is not gonna work as it is since no way to add keywords to fey step. Monk encounters powers yes, fey step no. I'll remove Enc.
The teleport handbook presents a messy andexpensive way to recharge feystep. That might work for you if you are playing in the upper levels.
I recasted Enc to take full advantage of hellfire staff with monk encounter powers. I picked a variety of burst encounter powers. Note: the staff will recharge any fire encounter powers that you have expended on a crit. The staff make melee and close powers to fire keyword it attack with. I picked Radiant Fist just for the Divine Sun encounter power. Epic Resurgence help me to recharge two encounter powers. The main encounter power I want to use? Celestial Drunken Boxer. At +8 to hit and damage on enemies' mba, I'm swinging the enemies at each other. I could use Diamond Soul as an epic destiny but that cost me -1 to wis, -2 to saves, and -1 attack roll. On the other hand Diamond Perfection let you reroll a monk power that missed.
CB

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Enc, level 30
Revenant, Monk, Radiant Fist, Destined Scion
Build: Centered Breath Monk
Monastic Tradition: Centered Breath
Epic Heroism: Epic Heroism (Dexterity)
Epic Heroism: Epic Heroism (Wisdom)
Choose your Race in Life: Tiefling
Background: Akanûl (Akanûl Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 13, Con 17, Dex 28, Int 12, Wis 26, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 13, Dex 16, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 8.

AC: 45 Fort: 46 Reflex: 47 Will: 46
HP: 174 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 43

TRAINED SKILLS
Perception +34, Religion +21, Acrobatics +29, Athletics +21

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +16, Bluff +15, Diplomacy +15, Dungeoneering +23, Endurance +20, Heal +23, History +16, Insight +23, Intimidate +17, Nature +23, Stealth +24, Streetwise +15, Thievery +24

FEATS
Radiant Fist: Death Knell
Level 1: Implement Focus (Staff)
Level 2: Restless Dead
Level 4: Superior Fortitude
Level 6: Weapon Ki Technique
Level 8: Deadly Draw
Level 10: Melee Training (Dexterity)
Level 11: Superior Implement Training (Accurate staff)
Level 12: Stormhawk's Vengeance
Level 14: Superior Reflexes
Level 16: Hellfire Blood
Level 18: Unarmored Agility
Level 20: Superior Will
Level 21: Ghostly Vitality
Level 22: Epic Fortitude
Level 24: Epic Resurgence
Level 26: Hellfire Teleport
Level 28: Repel Charge
Level 30: Eyes in the Back of Your Head

POWERS
Monk at-will 1: Steel Wind
Monk at-will 1: Five Storms
Monk encounter 1: Drunken Monkey
Monk daily 1: Harmonious Thunder
Monk encounter 3: Eternal Mountain
Monk encounter 7: Arc of the Flashing Storm
Monk utility 10: Spider Technique
Monk encounter 13: Furious Bull (replaces Arc of the Flashing Storm)
Monk utility 16: Stance of the Still Sword
Monk encounter 17: Whirlwind Kick (replaces Drunken Monkey)
Monk utility 22: Thousand World Stride
Monk encounter 23: Legion of One (replaces Whirlwind Kick)
Monk encounter 27: Celestial Drunken Boxer (replaces Legion of One)
Monk daily 29: Falling Star Strike (replaces Harmonious Thunder)

ITEMS
Siberys Shard of the Mage (epic tier), Eberron Shard of Lightning (epic tier), Ring of Free Time (epic tier), Belt of Sonnlinor Righteousness (epic tier), Shadow Band (epic tier), Gauntlets of Blood (epic tier), Bracers of Tactical Blows (epic tier), Iron of Spite (epic tier), Tattoo of Vengeance (epic tier), Rain of Hammers Ki Focus +6, Robe of Eyes Mindpatterned Armor +6, Many-Fingered Gloves (paragon tier), Ring of Circling Fangs (paragon tier), Mummified Hand (epic tier), Everlasting Provisions (heroic tier), Bag of Holding (heroic tier), Shroud of Revival (heroic tier), Jade Horse, Battle Standard of the Hungry Blade (heroic tier), Endless Canteen (heroic tier), Map of Orienteering (heroic tier), Handy Haversack (heroic tier), Rope of Climbing (heroic tier), Spymaster's Quill (heroic tier), Unfettered Thieves' Tools (paragon tier), Foe Stone (paragon tier), Immovable Shaft (paragon tier), Stone of Earth (paragon tier), Stone of Flame (paragon tier), Stone of Light (paragon tier), Stone of Shadow (paragon tier), Stone of Spirit (paragon tier), Stone of Storms (paragon tier), Stone of Wind (paragon tier), Watchful Eye (paragon tier), Feather Boat (paragon tier), Loadstone Statue (paragon tier), Flying Hook (paragon tier), Folding Sand Skiff (paragon tier), Invulnerable Case (paragon tier), Dimensional Anchor (paragon tier), Folding Astral Skiff (paragon tier), Gem of Auditory Recollection (paragon tier), Solitaire (Aquamarine) (paragon tier), Portable Hole (paragon tier), All-Seeing Eye (epic tier), Solitaire (Violet) (epic tier), Charm of Abundant Action (epic tier), Sandals of Avandra (epic tier), Life Charm +6, Khyber Shard of the Fiery Depth (epic tier), Boots of Caiphon (epic tier), Staff of the Traveler +1, Hellfire Accurate staff +6, Firebird (epic tier)
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

A question about Unseen Hand PP.   You rated it as black due to issues with reloading the hand crossbow.  As it gives you the equivalent of Starblade Flurry without needing to take a feat for it, and the range of the Unseen Hand PP is twice that of SBF, plus it gives you proficiency in a bow with associated Screaming Bow/Resounding Thunder goodness, I'd say it was a good PP...

A question about Unseen Hand PP.   You rated it as black due to issues with reloading the hand crossbow.  As it gives you the equivalent of Starblade Flurry without needing to take a feat for it, and the range of the Unseen Hand PP is twice that of SBF, plus it gives you proficiency in a bow with associated Screaming Bow/Resounding Thunder goodness, I'd say it was a good PP...

I responded on the other thread.  Basically I lowered Unseen Hand and removed all references to the Screaming Bow sometime ago when it became clear that the Screaming Bow changed damage to thunder at a point that is too late to work with Resounding Thunder.

I wish it would have worked, but it doesn't appear to. 
Hi!

My monk was fighting a lamia who has vulnerability to close and area attacks, which suited my monk fine.  Now, FoB is a separate attack, as per the rules compendium, yes?  Is FoB a close or area attack if it was triggered by a close or area attack?  I am trying to see if I should have doubled up the Vulnerability of the lamia like a radiant fist gets to double up radiant vulnerability if he has radiant attacks (his FoB already being radiant).
Hi!

My monk was fighting a lamia who has vulnerability to close and area attacks, which suited my monk fine.  Now, FoB is a separate attack, as per the rules compendium, yes?  Is FoB a close or area attack if it was triggered by a close or area attack?  I am trying to see if I should have doubled up the Vulnerability of the lamia like a radiant fist gets to double up radiant vulnerability if he has radiant attacks (his FoB already being radiant).

Yes, FoB is a close attack.  So yes, you would get double vulnerabilities.
Is it always a close attack, or is it a close attack when used after a close attack and a touch attack when used after a touch attack?
Is it always a close attack, or is it a close attack when used after a close attack and a touch attack when used after a touch attack?

Sorry, I was responding while home sick...and apparently my brain is sicker. 

FoB is never a close attack. 

FoB is always a melee attack because it has the melee 1 range, it's targetted and does damage. 
Surprisingly perhaps, FoB is not a close attack. Unless the compendium is in error (which is certainly a possibility). It is listed in the compendium as being melee 1. Thus, it never triggers vulnerability to close attacks (and is in fact halved when used against swarms).
Surprisingly perhaps, FoB is not a close attack. Unless the compendium is in error (which is certainly a possibility). It is listed in the compendium as being melee 1. Thus, it never triggers vulnerability to close attacks (and is in fact halved when used against swarms).

At level 21 it's "melee 1 against all adjacent enemies", which probably triggers the confusion.
My DM has said that he's happy for Screaming Bow and Resounding Thunder to work together (woot!).  So with that in mind the Unseen Hand PP becomes a lot more interesting.

Can you point me to any information on how to optimise that PP given that I'd almost certainly pick up a Scream Hand Xbow?

Is it possible to use SBF with this PP?  If so what gear/feats would you need to invest in?  What about Two Fisted Shooter?

Any help appreciated!
Blakey
My DM has said that he's happy for Screaming Bow and Resounding Thunder to work together (woot!).  So with that in mind the Unseen Hand PP becomes a lot more interesting.

Can you point me to any information on how to optimise that PP given that I'd almost certainly pick up a Scream Hand Xbow?

Is it possible to use SBF with this PP?  If so what gear/feats would you need to invest in?  What about Two Fisted Shooter?

Any help appreciated!
Blakey

Responding to my own queries I think this would work:

1.  Screaming Hand crossbow (for thunder damage).
2.  Resounding Thunder feat (for extending my close attacks) - DM has agreed this.
3.  Sneak of Shadows MC feat - to get Rogue MC.
4.  Two Fisted Shooter - this appears to mean I can reload a hand corossbow with one hand, meaning its always going to be reloaded for the Unseen Hand PP 11th level PP feature bonus flurry.
5.  Ki dagger in main hand - this adds to my FoB damagge and allows me to throw it for SBF.
6. SBF feat.
7. Bracers of Archery (for added damage on all attacks).

Quite a lot of gear and feats needed but I reckon this could be a very potent combination.  It assumes that my DM is happy with the Screaming Bow and Resounding Thunder and that as Two Fisted Shooter doesn't mention anything about actions used to make the bonus attack I can also do that.

I like it - any comments?
Grab Echoes of Thunder (after Imp. Focus of course) for more damage.  Also grab Solid Sound (after Imp. Defenses) for more defense.  If allowed, Mark of Storm for more control.

Edit: And it's really sad that deafened at-will cannot be optimised.  At least to my knowledge.

Any help appreciated!
Blakey

2.  Resounding Thunder feat (for extending my close attacks) - DM has agreed this.
3.  Sneak of Shadows MC feat - to get Rogue MC.
4.  Two Fisted Shooter - this appears to mean I can reload a hand corossbow with one hand, meaning its always going to be reloaded for the Unseen Hand PP 11th level PP feature bonus flurry.
5.  Ki dagger in main hand - this adds to my FoB damagge and allows me to throw it for SBF.
6. SBF feat.
7. Bracers of Archery (for added damage on all attacks).

Quite a lot of gear and feats needed but I reckon this could be a very potent combination.  It assumes that my DM is happy with the Screaming Bow and Resounding Thunder and that as Two Fisted Shooter doesn't mention anything about actions used to make the bonus attack I can also do that.

I like it - any comments?

It looks pretty good to me Blakey. 

Edit: And it's really sad that deafened at-will cannot be optimised.  At least to my knowledge.

If you can find any way at all to blind the target after it's been deafened, Team Ally are all considered hidden from the target, as the target cannot see (blind) or hear (deafened) you - therefore it no longer knows your exact location

If you can find any way at all to blind the target after it's been deafened, Team Ally are all considered hidden from the target, as the target cannot see (blind) or hear (deafened) you - therefore it no longer knows your exact location

Even a blind and deaf enemy knows your exact location unless you succeed on a stealth check against it. Of course the enemy is at like -20 to perception with the stacking penalties from the two conditions....
I have some questions about Steps of Grasping Fire.  The write-up for it says:

Steps of Grasping Fire (Centered Breath) (PHB3) - This is a non-party friendly close blast 3 versus reflex.  It does a decent amount of fire damage, which is commonly resisted.   The Movement Technique allows you to create a mini wall of fire that does 5+wisdom damage, which is cool.  Centered Breath can use the slide of Flurry of Blows to do 10+double wisdom damage to multiple opponents, which is very cool.  Just remember to create the wall before you attack.  If you have a party with a lot of forced movement, this could be awesome. Probably the best pick for Centered Breath.

1.) What's the best pattern for movement to maximize damage with the wall assuming you have a decent number of creatures in the blast 3?

2.) Do the creatures I slide into the wall get a saving throw before entering it?

Thanks!
I have some questions about Steps of Grasping Fire.  The write-up for it says:

Steps of Grasping Fire (Centered Breath) (PHB3) - This is a non-party friendly close blast 3 versus reflex.  It does a decent amount of fire damage, which is commonly resisted.   The Movement Technique allows you to create a mini wall of fire that does 5+wisdom damage, which is cool.  Centered Breath can use the slide of Flurry of Blows to do 10+double wisdom damage to multiple opponents, which is very cool.  Just remember to create the wall before you attack.  If you have a party with a lot of forced movement, this could be awesome. Probably the best pick for Centered Breath.

1.) What's the best pattern for movement to maximize damage with the wall assuming you have a decent number of creatures in the blast 3?

2.) Do the creatures I slide into the wall get a saving throw before entering it?

Thanks!

The best pattern is one in which the enemies end up adjacent to you, in fire, which I find tend to be a L shape.  It's hard to list the best pattern overall as monster positioning changes the pattern dramatically, being small sized also is a huge game changer here  The one potential danger to this power in my experience is that it can lead you to take OAs, so make sure to take that into account.  Having fire resist yourself also allows you to stand in your own wall, which can have some benefit in positioning as well, as you can begin and end in the same square. 

Typically though I'd like to do something like this, which probably only requires 0-1 OA, but you can target 3 enemies and get them into the wall adjacent to you (with a slide 2 FoB and starblade flurry)
E
 E EW 
    MW

By RAW, you only get a save against entering Damaging Terrain, which is terrain the DM places on the map, such as cooking fires or lava pits.  Zones aren't Damaging Terrain as defined in RAW.  However, a lot of DMs houserule it and allow a save without even realize that they are doing so.  If your DM does this, as many do, ideally you'd want them to fall prone adjacent to you, so you can catch them in a burst next turn. 

I like the synergy and agree with the interpretation that powers affected by screaming bow 'weapliment' property can benefit from resounding thunder, but there's one problem.

There are no screaming hand crossbows.  Hand crossbow is part of the crossbow weapon group.  A screaming bow is exclusively from the bow weapon group comprising shortbow, longbow, or greatbow. 

---

On a separate topic, similar to the monk-barbarian with 'hurl weapon' feat, I think a monk-warden First Hunter PP could have fun visuals too.  (PP feature that allows you to 'throw' the monk's unarmed strike as a ranged basic attack... I'd visualize it as ki-force like in Street Fighter/Dragonball or other anime).

Flurry of blows does full damage to swarms as it is not an attack power, it is a feature power.

It's range is melee 1 but it is not an attack. Go look at the power in the compendium.
You're mistaking. Flurry of Blows *is* an attack power. As described in the Rules Compendium (p89-90), there are only attack powers or utility powers. The criteria for being an attack power:

• It uses an attack roll: FoB doesn't qualify

• It deals damage: Fob clearly qualifies.

Hence, FoB is an attack power.

I like the synergy and agree with the interpretation that powers affected by screaming bow 'weapliment' property can benefit from resounding thunder, but there's one problem.

There are no screaming hand crossbows.  Hand crossbow is part of the crossbow weapon group.  A screaming bow is exclusively from the bow weapon group comprising shortbow, longbow, or greatbow. 

Really?   Pants.   I'll need to confirm that in the CB as we play that anything which works in the CB is valid at our table (it might mean we're not 100% RAI/RAW but at least it's consistent and we let the CB fix our rules for us).   If so then that screws my cunning plan somewhat!

EDIT:  Just tried it in the CB and you're right.   Damn!   Drawing board here I come.    

Thanks for pointing this out though - saves me spending feats and items trying to get ready to do something which won't work!
Valenar Weapon Training (for elves) should be blue, if not sky-blue. It doesn't just grant proficiency with scimitars, it grants proficiency with DOUBLE scimitars, a defensive weapon. +2 damage and +1 AC is pretty awesome for a heroic feat.
Check out my blog--now REACTIVATED with DnDnext feedback!
Valenar Weapon Training (for elves) should be blue, if not sky-blue. It doesn't just grant proficiency with scimitars, it grants proficiency with DOUBLE scimitars, a defensive weapon. +2 damage and +1 AC is pretty awesome for a heroic feat.

Well, at level 1 that's right.  But at say level 4 or so, you could have a shielding blade dagger or something similar in the other hand, which gives you +1 ac without any feat cost.    You could spend the feat on weapon focus, a parrying dagger, or even better, get an accurate implement dagger or ki focus.  As a result, in most cases, Valenar Weapon Training leads to less DPR, due to reduced accuracy, and the same or lower  AC as you could have had without a feat.   

Valenar Weapon training is ok at very  low levels, but past that it tends to give the same or less than someone could get without it.  The +1 damage over weapon focus doesn't make up for the +1 to hit you lose from not getting a superior implement. If your DM lets you use ki focused weapons as implements, which is questionable, then it's simply a +1 to damage over weapon focus.   +1 to damage isn't enough to recommend the feat as good or excellent. 
I added in the unratable Green.  I pretty much only used it for Ki focus and unarmed things right now.  I also updated the Ki Focus rules and ratings, as looking at the new rules and running across yet another Ki focus interpretation seemed to require a reorganization.   I'll sum up the new reorganization: "ask your DM." 

Btw, I haven't forgotten about themes.  I just only seem to have time when I don't have my books.  I will try to get them up soon.

I updated the tactics section some to give a better overview of monk tactics.   I also upgraded Eternal Mountain to sky blue and Furious Bull to gold, as these powers are the best heroic and paragon tier encounter powers for ensuring enemies stay adjacent to you. 
Here's my take on Screaming Bows and resounding thunder. If you are wondering when you have a orginal burst like five storms or a enlarged five storms, you check to see if any attacks hit in the 3 by 3 five storms. If any does then you got a 5 by 5 five storms. If none hit then you have no enlarged five storms and yes it mean there are potentially enemies one square away not hit by the power. I based this on you got to roll all your attacks but once on damage. community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... has a discussion but it isn't canon.
Here's my take on Screaming Bows and resounding thunder. If you are wondering when you have a orginal burst like five storms or a enlarged five storms, you check to see if any attacks hit in the 3 by 3 five storms. If any does then you got a 5 by 5 five storms. If none hit then you have no enlarged five storms and yes it mean there are potentially enemies one square away not hit by the power. I based this on you got to roll all your attacks but once on damage. community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... has a discussion but it isn't canon.

The thread you quote is back during the time that people didn't notice that the Screaming Bow worked differently than other elemental changing weapons, and I had it in the guide.  However, it's been discussed several times in Q/A forums since then and there is pretty much total agreement that it doesn't work with Resounding Thunder.  The argument goes something like this: Screaming Bow providers a change to thunder damage IF you hit.  To hit something, you must already have attacked. To attack, you must already have determined the targets.  I.e., no retroactively changing the burst size of the attack based on the results of the attack.  Search for Screaming Bow in the Q/A forum to pull up the threads.
Hey Furious, at 5, 7, and 9 I keep finding myself wanting to go back and stock up on level 1 and 3 encounter and dailies. Is this problematic do you think (my monk is Centered breath, using Deadly Draw, Crashing Tempest, an accurate Ki Dagger and a club)?

edit: Also, when using Deadly Draw + Ghostwalker, what stealth possibilities are there? You can't become hidden from concealment alone, right?

I'm not very well-versed in monks, but the new Internalize the Basic Kata feat seems to make defender-monk a possibility. Iron Souls now have a real MBA on top of their defender AC (about the same as a swordmage) and a class feature that other defenders would kill for in Iron Soul FoB.

If you want to make this even more fun, you play a (Revenant) Wilden and take the new Slashing Kama Style feat + Briar Thorns + World Serpent's Grasp at paragon for OA's that slow, or prone if they're already slowed. Talk about a Catch-22! Combine this with your burst powers, and you're one dangerous defender.

Something like this?

Show

Iron Soul Defender, level 12
Wilden, Monk
Build: Iron Soul Monk
Monastic Tradition Option: Iron Soul
Paragon Path: Ghostwalker

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 12, CON 18, DEX 23, INT 9, WIS 14, CHA 11

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 13, DEX 18, INT 8, WIS 13, CHA 10

AC: 29 Fort: 25 Ref: 25 Will: 22
HP: 88 Surges: 12 Surge Value: 22

FEATS
Level 1: Internalize the Basic Kata
Level 2: Unarmored Agility
Level 4: Ki Focus Expertise
Level 6: Iron Parry
Level 8: Slashing Kama Style
Level 11: Briar Thorns
Level 11: World Serpent's Grasp
Level 12: Whirling Iron Defense

ITEMS
Monk unarmed strike x1
Sickle x1
Magic Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +3 x1
Magic Ki Focus +3 x1
Amulet of Protection +3 x1
Bloodhound Bracers x1
====== End ======

Defenses are on par with a swordmage, and only get better when you take Ghostwalker's concealment stance in account. I haven't looked at powers yet, what works well with a build like this?
The new dragon article has been added to the guide.  Please let me know if I forgot to change something, or if you disagree with a rating or otherwise have input.

Hey Furious, at 5, 7, and 9 I keep finding myself wanting to go back and stock up on level 1 and 3 encounter and dailies. Is this problematic do you think (my monk is Centered breath, using Deadly Draw, Crashing Tempest, an accurate Ki Dagger and a club)?

edit: Also, when using Deadly Draw + Ghostwalker, what stealth possibilities are there? You can't become hidden from concealment alone, right?

You experience is common.  I know that is what I did.  Although monks now have a decent level 5 daily. 

Stealth options are primarily hiding before combat start, which allows you to gain CA in your first round.  however, you need to see the enemy before they see you to have CA on them, and therefore concealment and maintain stealth.  

I'm not very well-versed in monks, but the new Internalize the Basic Kata feat seems to make defender-monk a possibility. Iron Souls now have a real MBA on top of their defender AC (about the same as a swordmage) and a class feature that other defenders would kill for in Iron Soul FoB.

If you want to make this even more fun, you play a (Revenant) Wilden and take the new Slashing Kama Style feat + Briar Thorns + World Serpent's Grasp at paragon for OA's that slow, or prone if they're already slowed. Talk about a Catch-22! Combine this with your burst powers, and you're one dangerous defender.

Something like this?

Show

Iron Soul Defender, level 12
Wilden, Monk
Build: Iron Soul Monk
Monastic Tradition Option: Iron Soul
Paragon Path: Ghostwalker

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 12, CON 18, DEX 23, INT 9, WIS 14, CHA 11

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 13, DEX 18, INT 8, WIS 13, CHA 10

AC: 29 Fort: 25 Ref: 25 Will: 22
HP: 88 Surges: 12 Surge Value: 22

FEATS
Level 1: Internalize the Basic Kata
Level 2: Unarmored Agility
Level 4: Ki Focus Expertise
Level 6: Iron Parry
Level 8: Slashing Kama Style
Level 11: Briar Thorns
Level 11: World Serpent's Grasp
Level 12: Whirling Iron Defense

ITEMS
Monk unarmed strike x1
Sickle x1
Magic Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +3 x1
Magic Ki Focus +3 x1
Amulet of Protection +3 x1
Bloodhound Bracers x1
====== End ======

Defenses are on par with a swordmage, and only get better when you take Ghostwalker's concealment stance in account. I haven't looked at powers yet, what works well with a build like this?

Good find on the wilden.  I will add that in once I get a chance.  I will try to comment on the build later tonight when I have more time.  

Although monks now have a decent level 5 daily. 

I also really like the new level 3 encounter. Blast vs Reflex with good damage. Just have to point it away from allies.
For slashing kama style, can't you do it and crashing tempest style in heroic?  You can wield the sickle off hand and then retrain for starblade flurry in paragon.
Ki sickle + Prime Shot dagger would be a good combo for slashing kama, paragon onwards.
I guess in late heroic some would have room for slashing kama before starblade flurry takes up their hand
I guess in late heroic some would have room for slashing kama before starblade flurry takes up their hand

Why not use a ki kama and a prime shot dagger?

Why not use a ki kama and a prime shot dagger?

Weapon properties only apply to powers used with them.  As FoB lacks any keywords, prime shot doesn't apply.  As for the ongoing versus more damage debate, ongoing damage has a 50% chance (assuming no save bonuses) of persisting each round.  So over three rounds, with one FoB target, the damage is roughly equal between crashing tempest and slashing kama.  However, the ongoing damage is going to be happening later in the round, so there is less chance of it to actually be helpful.  Once there are three targets per round, crashing tempest becomes clearly better. 
 As for the ongoing versus more damage debate, ongoing damage has a 50% chance (assuming no save bonuses) of persisting each round.

Save on 10, so 45% chance of not saving.
Ours is a world where people don't know what they want, and are willing to go through hell to get it. -Don Marquis
Sign In to post comments