No Paper Tigers!!!!: The Monk Handbook

1637 posts / 0 new
Last post

With that said, daggers as implements should be getting a feat update in the next couple of weeks as per the dragon article list.

Ooh, what's this?

EDIT: Figured it out myself. And I may have already known about this but forgot about it.

Weapon and Implement Expertise 

By James Auwaerter

Behold! Much-needed feats for characters that wield both weapons and implements.
I think you should also note, that all of those fallen needle move techniques with shift 1/move 3 let's you move 3 squares, even while slowed becuase it does not refer to your speed and can be used twice each turn, if the monk converts his move actiont to minor.

Edit: I also noticed, that many defender punishments now refer to "allies of you", instead of any creature (or attacks they don't include the defender). So you might re-rate drunken monkey, because it won't trigger mark punishments anymore and many enemies are resistent/immune to their own attacks, anyways.

Drunken  becauseMonkey

Want anime-style Power cards? Then try the Touhou Power Cards!

I think you should also note, that all of those fallen needle move techniques with shift 1/move 3 let's you move 3 squares, even while slowed becuase it does not refer to your speed and can be used twice each turn, if the monk converts his move actiont to minor.

Edit: I also noticed, that many defender punishments now refer to "allies of you", instead of any creature (or attacks they don't include the defender). So you might re-rate drunken monkey, because it won't trigger mark punishments anymore and many enemies are resistent/immune to their own attacks, anyways.

Drunken  becauseMonkey

Paladin, Knight, and Battlemind won't trigger on Drunken Monkey.  Fighter, Warden and Assault Swordmage punishment will trigger on Drunken Monkey. I don't think this has ever changed, other than the Knight and Cavalier got added into the bunch. 

I will note the Fallen Needle comments.

Drunken  becauseMonkey

So just how does Fallen Needle work though?  Its a triggered action (when an enemy ends its movement adjacent to you) which implies that it occurs on the enemies turn or at least at the end of its turn.  But can full discipline powers work this way (on multiple turns that is)?  Does it work only if the enemy previously moved next to you which just seems awkward (a sort of retroactive trigger)?

Drunken  becauseMonkey

So just how does Fallen Needle work though?  Its a triggered action (when an enemy ends its movement adjacent to you) which implies that it occurs on the enemies turn or at least at the end of its turn.  But can full discipline powers work this way (on multiple turns that is)?  Does it work only if the enemy previously moved next to you which just seems awkward (a sort of retroactive trigger)?

You are looking at the unerrataed early version of Fallen Needle that only was legal for a couple of weeks.  Check the online compendium or the compiled issue of dragon for the current version of Fallen Needle.  In short, the movement technique is now a minor action.

Might want to make a few changes to FoB becoming a "no action" instead of a "free one".

Are you planning to add anything on Themes? Pack Outcast pretty much the most amazing theme ever (auto CA? all the time? everything adjacent? who designed this??) for Monks, not to mention the very amusing polymorph (in case you needed MORE speed and movement options).

Might want to make a few changes to FoB becoming a "no action" instead of a "free one".

Are you planning to add anything on Themes? Pack Outcast pretty much the most amazing theme ever (auto CA? all the time? everything adjacent? who designed this??) for Monks, not to mention the very amusing polymorph (in case you needed MORE speed and movement options).

Yeah, I am planning.  I already added in the FoB no action stuff, but I still haven't caught everywhere it's mentionned. 

Themes are going to be coming, probably in the next week.  Pack outcast is awesome.  However, CB monks with deadly draw have pretty well constant CA from paragon on already.  With that said, Pack Outcast encourages enemies to move away from the monk just like players do in enemy auras, which is counter to what the monk wants.  Iron Soul can proclude shifting away, so they therefore seem to get the most out of Pack Outcast. Stone Fist gain a lot as well, as they have little mechanism to get CA.  In contrast, Centered Breath might not gain a whole lot from Pack Outcast over what could be gotten from other paths.

Guardian and Harper are also very good for monks.  For example, the Rat Dastard 10 utility of Harper Agent for a Ghostwalker or Unseen Hand is a gross +4 to defenses if you have concealment....and you can manufacture concealment.     
Kender - Thanks for pointing out the lvl 10 Harper Agent utility.  I was struggling with matching my lvl 12 elf CB/Ghostwalker with a theme (I play LFR) and that lvl 10 power made up my mind.  I already have a +1 Master's Blade Dagger in my off-hand so I can use two stances at once when the need arises, once per day of course.  The Resourceful Dastard stance (+4 power bonus to all defenses when I have cover or concealment) and Soul Dance stance (gain Concealment) is a "I think I wanna tank this encounter" combo
Has anyone read the new weapliments article from Dragon #402?  The link doesn't seem to be working for me, and I'm dying to get in and check out the new feats.  Is there anything really useful for monks?
Has anyone read the new weapliments article from Dragon #402?  The link doesn't seem to be working for me, and I'm dying to get in and check out the new feats.  Is there anything really useful for monks?

It's not posted yet.  It should be posted sometime over the next few days.
I've been wondering how the article is going to work.

One option would be to just make 1 or more improved versions of versatile expertise. "Gish expertise" might give the bonus to weapon and implement attack with any one weapon, but with the faster progression, and maybe some other bonus (no OAs for ranged/area?) This option might work ok, but could be a little annoying due to the variety of weaplement builds. Of course, they could just make a light blade gish expertise, a spear gish expertise, ad nauseum, but that seems a little bloaty.

Another option would be to make an extra non-expertise feat, essentially a feat tax. Something along the lines of "You gain the full benefit of any feat that grants a feat bonus to attack rolls to both weapon and implement attacks made with the weapon or implement referred to in the feat. You also get some extra nifty perk X" - this way you get a meaningful choice between light blade and spear expertise, without annoying bloat. That said, it's a bit of a feat tax, and hence X had better be useful :P Maybe roll weapon+implement focus into it?
What do you guys think about the Pack Outcast theme in the Neverwinter CS? The level 5 feature lets all adjacent enemies grant CA. I think it's better than Deadly Draw in most cases, and would free up a feat slot. For Ghostwalkers, Deadly Draw still has some benefits.

Deadly Draw

• Doesn't work on your first attack against an enemy

• Works against enemies who aren't adjacent, provided you slid them adjacent the previous turn

• (Ghostwalker) Works against ranged enemies you slide adjacent. Even if they shift away, you still have concealment

Pack Outcast

• Works even on the first attack against an enemy 

• Doesn't work on the non-adjacent enemies in the larger blasts/bursts

• (Ghostwalker) You'll always get the +2 defenses against melee enemies

• (Ghostwalker) Doesn't work against ranged enemies. Of course, you can just use Dragon's Tail to knock them prone. This will force them to either (1) stand up and make a melee attack, (2) stand up, make a ranged attack and eat an OA, or (3) crawl away, provoke an OA, and make a ranged attack with a -2 penalty

What do you guys think about the Pack Outcast theme in the Neverwinter CS? The level 5 feature lets all adjacent enemies grant CA. I think it's better than Deadly Draw in most cases, and would free up a feat slot. For Ghostwalkers, Deadly Draw still has some benefits.

Deadly Draw

• Doesn't work on your first attack against an enemy

• Works against enemies who aren't adjacent, provided you slid them adjacent the previous turn

• (Ghostwalker) Works against ranged enemies you slide adjacent. Even if they shift away, you still have concealment

Pack Outcast

• Works even on the first attack against an enemy 

• Doesn't work on the non-adjacent enemies in the larger blasts/bursts

• (Ghostwalker) You'll always get the +2 defenses against melee enemies

• (Ghostwalker) Doesn't work against ranged enemies. Of course, you can just use Dragon's Tail to knock them prone. This will force them to either (1) stand up and make a melee attack, (2) stand up, make a ranged attack and eat an OA, or (3) crawl away, provoke an OA, and make a ranged attack with a -2 penalty

I like Pack Outcast.  However, it creates an aura that gives enemies a reason to move away from the monk.  This means that in practice Pack Outcast will be weaker than it appears on paper, as enemies won't cluster up on the monk as much as they otherwise would.  For monks that have no way to get CA, such as most non-CB monks, then Pack Outcast is probably the best they're going to do. 

In my experience (high heroic, almost paragon), the enemies also try to move away. I guess you have more experience at higher levels.
In my experience (high heroic, almost paragon), the enemies also try to move away. I guess you have more experience at higher levels.

Have you already played with Pack Outcast, or are you just stating your experience with a "normal" monk?

Proning and Dazing Powers (e.g., Furious Bull) are great at keeping enemies adjacent to the monk, as they can't move and attack. 

CB monks with Rushing Cleats tend to slide most enemies 2 to the far side of them (away from the rest of the party) each and every time.  This encourages the enemies to stay on the monk, as they have a harder time getting to the other party members.  That is, unless they want to shift and charge, and even then it is hard to keep the monsters from provoking from the monk.  In my experience, eventually the monsters get tired of moving away and stay put.   It also helps if the monk is pretty far away from the rest of the party. 

Iron Soul have an advantage here, as they keep the enemy from shifting.  However, they have a harder time rounding up the enemy if they do get out of position.  

Stone fist pretty much just have to suck it up and deal with whatever the monsters do.  

I think I need to add a section on keeping enemies in your kill zone.

Have you already played with Pack Outcast, or are you just stating your experience with a "normal" monk?

My experience is without themes; we're thinking about adding them to out characters now.
I dislike the "charge in a zig zag as long as you get closer to your target" rule. If you have to move in a straight line, the enemies' charging options are somewhat restricted (unless they don't care about provoking an OA from the monk).

Aug 29, 2011 -- 2:54PM, rhuarch wrote:

In my opinion, the only feat in the article generally worth bothering with is Weapon Ki Technique, which requires you to use a ki focus and a weapon, but applies to attacks made with either, and gives you +1/tier damage vs. bloodied enemies. At worst you pay 5 gp for an unenchanted ki focus.

One might be useful as a corner case, but created more problems than it solves: Dwarven Rod Expertise. It requires you already have proficiency with rods. The feat allows you to treat a rod as a club when making weapon attacks; it gives the enhancement bonus and critical dice of the rod when making weapon attacks or damage rolls with it, but not its properties or powers. Me, I'd just stop with the hybrid or MC feat used to get rod proficiency. There are enough arguments about weapon-as-implement usage without adding implement-as-weapon-as-implement confusion to the mix. Seriously, if you want to use Crashing Tempest that badly, just get a club.

Two others might be useful to the right multiclass/hybrid combinations (assuming a workable build exists): Hex Expertise (warlock) or Mighty Crusader Expertise (divine w/ weapon in two hands). The remaining feats either apply only to basic attacks, attacks of a particular power source (arcane or divine), weapon attacks, or some combination of the above, making them useless to the monk side of any multi or hybrid combination. 

Aug 29, 2011 -- 2:54PM, rhuarch wrote:

In my opinion, the only feat in the article generally worth bothering with is Weapon Ki Technique, which requires you to use a ki focus and a weapon, but applies to attacks made with either, and gives you +1/tier damage vs. bloodied enemies. At worst you pay 5 gp for an unenchanted ki focus.

Doesn't it also give you +1 to attack rolls with said weapon?  Unless I'm reading it wrong, and I probably am, I think it even works when the weapon's used as an implement.  That seems decent enough, no?
Has anyone read the new weapliments article from Dragon #402?  The link doesn't seem to be working for me, and I'm dying to get in and check out the new feats.  Is there anything really useful for monks?

In my opinion, the only feat in the article generally worth bothering with is Weapon Ki Technique, which requires you to use a ki focus and a weapon, but applies to attacks made with either, and gives you +1/tier damage vs. bloodied enemies. At worst you pay 5 gp for an unenchanted ki focus.

Doesn't it also give you +1 to attack rolls with said weapon?  Unless I'm reading it wrong, and I probably am, I think it even works when the weapon's used as an implement.  That seems decent enough, no?

Well, yes. But since we're discussing Expertise feats, I had figured that was implicit in the discussion... I was only expressing my opinion that Weapon ki Focus was the only worthwhile feat for monks in the article. Otherwise, there's nothing to recommend the feats in the article mentioned over taking the appropriate Implement Expertise feat.

Also, please note that last qualification. Most of those feats are pretty good in their own idiom; I can definitely see one or two I'll poach for my swordmage. But Weapon Ki Focus is the only one which really seems useful for monks, at least to me.
Has anyone read the new weapliments article from Dragon #402?  The link doesn't seem to be working for me, and I'm dying to get in and check out the new feats.  Is there anything really useful for monks?

In my opinion, the only feat in the article generally worth bothering with is Weapon Ki Technique, which requires you to use a ki focus and a weapon, but applies to attacks made with either, and gives you +1/tier damage vs. bloodied enemies. At worst you pay 5 gp for an unenchanted ki focus.

Well, yes. But since we're discussing Expertise feats, I had figured that was implicit in the discussion... I was only expressing my opinion that Weapon ki Focus was the only worthwhile feat for monks in the article. Otherwise, there's nothing to recommend the feats in the article mentioned over taking the appropriate Implement Expertise feat.

Also, please note that last qualification. Most of those feats are pretty good in their own idiom; I can definitely see one or two I'll poach for my swordmage. But Weapon Ki Focus is the only one which really seems useful for monks, at least to me.

Haha, well that'll teach me to open my mouth...  =) Back to lurking it is.  Carry on!
Interestingly, the damge boosts for ki weapon technique and ki focus expertise stack. I don't think it generally makes it worth taking both, unless there's a way to treat your enemies as bloodied all the time?
I have a rules question regarding monks. If I'm playing a Genasi Monk/Lyrandar Wind-Rider can I, using the feat Shocking Flame, add that damage to FoB? And in that case, can I add the Storm Adept bonus damage from Lyranadar Wind-Rider as well? As I understand it, FoB counts as a melee attack nowadays, so I don't se any reason that this shouldn't work. But it does seem a bit overpowered...
Based on a quick read, this would indeed work to add Con mod+2 extra damage to your FoB, along with the Lightning keyword.
Looking for ideas for a quarterstaff monk, I found the Staff of the Serpent in Adventurer's Vault 1:

Property
: Any melee attack made with this staff deals +1d6 poison damage.

Note that it only says "melee attack", not "weapon attack", so the damage applies to all of the Monk's melee implement powers (as well as MBAs). The damage doesn't scale at all unfortunately, but not a bad boost at lower levels. I could see mixing this in with a hybrid or MC Assassin and building up a poison-focused striker.
I have a rules question regarding monks. If I'm playing a Genasi Monk/Lyrandar Wind-Rider can I, using the feat Shocking Flame, add that damage to FoB? And in that case, can I add the Storm Adept bonus damage from Lyranadar Wind-Rider as well? As I understand it, FoB counts as a melee attack nowadays, so I don't se any reason that this shouldn't work. But it does seem a bit overpowered...

Based on a quick read, this would indeed work to add Con mod+2 extra damage to your FoB, along with the Lightning keyword.

Yes, Shocking Flame and Lyrander wind rider should both add to FoB.  Neither require a hit to funtion, so they both apply to FoB.   

It's strong, but it's all about Genasi in Eberron with the mark of storms.....which is a highly unusual combination that is subject to DM approval I believe (on two counts?).  Then this highly unusual combination is combined with monk, which is another highly unusual combination as Genasi have no dex mod.   

Battleminds abuse this combo MUCH more than monks ever could. 
[...]Then this highly unusual combination is combined with monk, which is another highly unusual combination as Genasi have no dex mod.[...]

What about Revenant (Genasi)?
[...]Then this highly unusual combination is combined with monk, which is another highly unusual combination as Genasi have no dex mod.[...]

What about Revenant (Genasi)?

Again, you're compounding weirdness and cheese, as this is a genasi (an FR race) monk (not popular for genasi) in eberron with the mark of storm (typically is race restricted to half-elves I believe) who died and came back.  However, it seems to work by RAW via the Past Soul feat.

As this is the CharOp forum, I try to stick to RAW.
I personally find the whole Revenant business with its sub-zero fighting and twin strike poaching a bit too extreme for my taste. Genasi with Mark of Storms is still weird, but nothing cheesy IMO.
Again, RAW you can make some monstrous characters. At the real table, it's not much fun to play one for more than one session...
As this is the CharOp forum, I try to stick to RAW. I personally find the whole Revenant business with its sub-zero fighting and twin strike poaching a bit too extreme for my taste. Genasi with Mark of Storms is still weird, but nothing cheesy IMO. Again, RAW you can make some monstrous characters. At the real table, it's not much fun to play one for more than one session...

I agree, but as a handbook author I also need to keep my eye both on the RAW and making fun playable characters. 
I agree, but as a handbook author I also need to keep my eye both on the RAW and making fun playable characters. 

Point! And you're doing a fine job at it, sir! 
Question. For the monk hybrid feature monastic tradition. Where monks can only use flurry of blows on monk powers. If I take expanded tradition can I use flurry of blows with any attack?
Question. For the monk hybrid feature monastic tradition. Where monks can only use flurry of blows on monk powers. If I take expanded tradition can I use flurry of blows with any attack?

No - it just means you're able to gain the NAD bonus that Stone Fist or Centered Breath would give you (or the AC bonus that Iron Soul would give you).
Hi all,

I've been playing a CB monk from 1st to 7th level in a party which is mostly ranged.  Our fighter has started to be a bit absent occasionally and we play "No player, no character" so if he's not there I'm the only melee guy in a party of 5.  That was the case last week.  And even when he's there we're 2:4 melee:ranged.   So I was thinking of refactoring my monk to be more defender oriented.  Although I have excellent defenses as a CB monk (the best in the party) I have no stickiness to speak of.   The DM is a kind soul and lets us refactor utterly when we feel we want/need to - as long as we're having fun, and we're not refactoring to take advantage of knowledge we have about what is coming up in the campaign.   So I've built this Fighter/Monk.   Any comments?

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Shinobi, level 7
Half-Orc, Fighter/Monk
Monastic Tradition (Hybrid) Option: Stone Fist (Hybrid)
Hybrid Monk Option: Hybrid Monk Will
Hybrid Talent Option: Unarmored Defense
Born Under a Bad Sign (Born Under a Bad Sign Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 17, CON 10, DEX 21, INT 8, WIS 11, CHA 10

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 14, CON 10, DEX 18, INT 8, WIS 11, CHA 10

AC: 26 Fort: 19 Ref: 21 Will: 16
HP: 64 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 16

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +13, Stealth +15, Thievery +13

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +2, Athletics +6, Bluff +3, Diplomacy +3, Dungeoneering +3, Endurance +5, Heal +3, History +2, Insight +3, Intimidate +5, Nature +3, Perception +3, Religion +2, Streetwise +3

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Half-Orc Racial Power: Furious Assault
Fighter Attack: Combat Challenge
Monk Feature: Stone Fist Flurry of Blows
Fighter Attack 1: Threatening Rush
Monk Attack 1: Five Storms
Fighter Attack 1: Funneling Flurry
Monk Attack 1: Masterful Spiral
Acrobatics Utility 2: Agile Recovery
Monk Attack 3: Eternal Mountain
Fighter Attack 5: Dancing Defense
Fighter Utility 6: Kirre's Roar
Fighter Attack 7: Come and Get It

FEATS
Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 2: Unarmored Agility
Level 4: Crashing Tempest Style
Level 6: Weapon Proficiency (Parrying dagger)

ITEMS
Rhythm Blade Parrying dagger +1 x1
Rain of Hammers Ki Focus +1 x1
Amulet of Protection +2 x1
Adventurer's Kit
Everburning Torch
Thieves' Tools
Camouflaged Clothing
Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) of Sudden Recovery +2 x1
Lesser Elixir of Invisibility (heroic tier)
Potion of Healing (heroic tier)
Elixir of Speed (paragon tier)
Ki Club +2 x1
Boots of Stealth (heroic tier) x1
====== End ======

He has 2 encounter powers to mark at close burst 3 (including Come and Get It which is excellent for dragging foes into my range).  He uses Five Storms as his go to power.  Masterful Spiral is his close burst 2 major daily.  Dancing Defense gives me a DPR or defense boost when the chips are down.   2 encounter powers (Eternal Mountain and Kirre's Roar) give me damage resist for a round.

Any suggestions or comments?
Blakey
Hi all,

I've been playing a CB monk from 1st to 7th level in a party which is mostly ranged.  Our fighter has started to be a bit absent occasionally and we play "No player, no character" so if he's not there I'm the only melee guy in a party of 5.  That was the case last week.  And even when he's there we're 2:4 melee:ranged.   So I was thinking of refactoring my monk to be more defender oriented.  Although I have excellent defenses as a CB monk (the best in the party) I have no stickiness to speak of.   The DM is a kind soul and lets us refactor utterly when we feel we want/need to - as long as we're having fun, and we're not refactoring to take advantage of knowledge we have about what is coming up in the campaign.   So I've built this Fighter/Monk.   Any comments?

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Shinobi, level 7
Half-Orc, Fighter/Monk
Monastic Tradition (Hybrid) Option: Stone Fist (Hybrid)
Hybrid Monk Option: Hybrid Monk Will
Hybrid Talent Option: Unarmored Defense
Born Under a Bad Sign (Born Under a Bad Sign Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 17, CON 10, DEX 21, INT 8, WIS 11, CHA 10

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 14, CON 10, DEX 18, INT 8, WIS 11, CHA 10

AC: 26 Fort: 19 Ref: 21 Will: 16
HP: 64 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 16

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +13, Stealth +15, Thievery +13

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +2, Athletics +6, Bluff +3, Diplomacy +3, Dungeoneering +3, Endurance +5, Heal +3, History +2, Insight +3, Intimidate +5, Nature +3, Perception +3, Religion +2, Streetwise +3

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Half-Orc Racial Power: Furious Assault
Fighter Attack: Combat Challenge
Monk Feature: Stone Fist Flurry of Blows
Fighter Attack 1: Threatening Rush
Monk Attack 1: Five Storms
Fighter Attack 1: Funneling Flurry
Monk Attack 1: Masterful Spiral
Acrobatics Utility 2: Agile Recovery
Monk Attack 3: Eternal Mountain
Fighter Attack 5: Dancing Defense
Fighter Utility 6: Kirre's Roar
Fighter Attack 7: Come and Get It

FEATS
Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 2: Unarmored Agility
Level 4: Crashing Tempest Style
Level 6: Weapon Proficiency (Parrying dagger)

ITEMS
Rhythm Blade Parrying dagger +1 x1
Rain of Hammers Ki Focus +1 x1
Amulet of Protection +2 x1
Adventurer's Kit
Everburning Torch
Thieves' Tools
Camouflaged Clothing
Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) of Sudden Recovery +2 x1
Lesser Elixir of Invisibility (heroic tier)
Potion of Healing (heroic tier)
Elixir of Speed (paragon tier)
Ki Club +2 x1
Boots of Stealth (heroic tier) x1
====== End ======

He has 2 encounter powers to mark at close burst 3 (including Come and Get It which is excellent for dragging foes into my range).  He uses Five Storms as his go to power.  Masterful Spiral is his close burst 2 major daily.  Dancing Defense gives me a DPR or defense boost when the chips are down.   2 encounter powers (Eternal Mountain and Kirre's Roar) give me damage resist for a round.

Any suggestions or comments?
Blakey

Fighter marks only occur when you use fighter powers, which means you're going to be primarily a fighter after your two rounds of marks go away.  If you want to be primarily a monk, I would recommend getting a hybrid that allows marks independent of actually attacking.  Battlemind|iron soul and warden|stone fist I believe are the primary candidates, as swordmage doesn't have good stat match up.  I guess you could also go a half orc straladin|monk with both the strength instead of charisma for divine challenge and sanction feats, but then all 4 feats on a level 7 build would be feat taxes and feats just to make the build funtion.   

If you want to go hybrid Monk|Defender, then battlemind|iron soul monk built as a monk is how I would do it. Iron soul blocks shifting, which plugs a hole in the heroic battlemind defender style. I am playing halfling one in living dark sun and it's effective. Of course, the darksun campaign doesn't allow magical items, so using hide armor and a shield is a bonus when you're fighting surrrounded and you lack access to even common magical items.  I use battlemind abilities (mainly the marks) to augment my monk abilities, so I started 20 dex and 16 con and have never regretted it.  It is a lot of five storms spam, but that's how a lot of hybrids play.     

Thanks FK.  

Another question:   you frequently mention wrist razors as a useful item and in your drunken boxer thread recommend "ki weapon wrist razors".  I like the idea - however the online Character Builder (a) reckons they are something I'm not proficient in - had to work hard to let me add them and they show up in red, and (b) cannot be equipped - they should go into the arms slot I believe.   What gives?
Thanks FK.  

Another question:   you frequently mention wrist razors as a useful item and in your drunken boxer thread recommend "ki weapon wrist razors".  I like the idea - however the online Character Builder (a) reckons they are something I'm not proficient in - had to work hard to let me add them and they show up in red, and (b) cannot be equipped - they should go into the arms slot I believe.   What gives?

The CB has some clear bugs, typically with weird, non-standard items.  For example, spiked shields (and the other shield + weapon items) don't work at all as shields on the CB.  Spiked Gauntlets should take up the hands slot, and in the CB they take up the hands slot as well as one of the weapon slots despite being gauntlets (and hence a pair).  Wrist razors are just one the many weird, non-standard items that need specific coding, which they haven't gotten yet.  

Hell, on my bard it tells me that I'm not proficient with light shields, but I equip it anyway and it works just fine.

With the CB, you always have to be aware that it could be a bug.  Ask your DM if you have any questions, so that they are aware (and agree) that your CB sheet isn't 100% accurate. 

Okay - thanks again.

One thing though:  wrist razors are simple one handed melee weapons (according to the compendium).  Whereas monk profs are listed as:

"Weapon Proficiencies: Club, dagger, monk unarmed strike, quarterstaff, shuriken, sling, spear."

So why are they proficient in wrist razors?   Or is it that they're not but that actually doesn't matter as they are not using them, just equipping them which is enough to get the +2 bonus?
Okay - thanks again.

One thing though:  wrist razors are simple one handed melee weapons (according to the compendium).  Whereas monk profs are listed as:

"Weapon Proficiencies: Club, dagger, monk unarmed strike, quarterstaff, shuriken, sling, spear."

So why are they proficient in wrist razors?   Or is it that they're not but that actually doesn't matter as they are not using them, just equipping them which is enough to get the +2 bonus?

You can use any weapon.  You just don't get the +2 prof bonus if you attack with it.  That is all prof does for weapons.  In other words, monks only need to equip it. The wrist razor is good for monks only because it allows you to gain access to useful magical properties in the arms slot, as existing arms slot items aren't all that great unless you want a climb speed (which is really fun) or boost damage on your few good melee attacks. 
Thanks again!!!

So, I have a choice of Dragonshard (+1 to all implement damage) or Ki Wrist razors (+2 to one FOB per round).   I think the shard is best - because I often attack multiple opponents - agree?   Or is +2 damage per round better?    I will get the other item when I have the money of course!

Question are you considered weilding a weapon with the unarmed strike class feature?

Im making a fighter/monk hybrid using the brawler style to have a +6 profiency with my fist.
I was hoping im considered weilding a weapon so i get other benefits of the brawler style.