Storyteller - speed contest - Jace, the Mind Sculptor sight seeing

29 posts / 0 new
Last post
A while back before the new Jace was released, WotC thought it'd be cool to bring Jace to "our plane". And they did.

So the question is: Where did he visit? What on Earth would attracts Jace's attention?

Criteria: Create a card (probably land?) that features a place, a location, a city, a country, a landmark, or anything thing that actually existed on "our plane" and give it MtG properties.

Contest will end in 2 days (3 if I was not available Friday or so).

[Spoiler Something about me:]
I'm a first time judge on this forum.
I'm big on mechanics.
I hate complicated things.
I like references or callouts to old magic cards but I try not to incorporate that into grading.
I read a lot of Maro's article. And I like to follow changes to color-pie like clothing trend LOL.
[/spoiler]

[Spoiler Judging (not final yet):]
I like to keep it simple. Sometimes, ranking from 1 to 10 just doesn't mean much.
0 - Failed
1 - Not original/interesting enough
2 - Something's missing/not right but overall good
3 - Perfect (minor flaws that does not affect the design are acceptable as we're only human)

Playability - I'm ok with weak cards as long as they are flavorful as they will always be part of magic (One with Nothing anyone?). OP cards will get a minus. I am not looking for obvious format staples like BSA or Jace here.

Mechanics - As I said i'm big on this. Mix and match sometimes works wonder and other time just feels mixed and matched. I am still not sure where the fine line lays on that. Brand new mechanic/effect is always a plus BUT a new keyword that doesn't do something new is definitely a minus.

Correctness - Please utilize gatherer.wizards.com to find your official wording. If you don't take your design seriously, I won't.

Flavor - No, I don't need you to write an essay in your flavor text. Just make sure the rule text matches the card name is a good starting guideline.

Fun - last but not least. This wraps up everything else. How well the card is perceived. Is it too difficult to read? Does your passion of the design shine through? The fun you had making the cards should feel explicit when reading your design

[/spoiler]

This is called the Storyteller contest because criteria will attempt to come with a background story. Please try to stay true to what's going on in magic and their many different Planes.
But Don't Worry!
I'm not that knowledgable in Magic story either. I try to keep track as much as I could for things that I'm interested in. Like I would know the scores for World Cup but not the Star players in each team. 
There may or may not be a second round depending if I can think of something else and/or how well the contest is received. Thanks for reading this far.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Gulf of Mexico
Land - Island Swamp
(: Add or to your mana pool)
~ enters the battlefield tapped unless you sacrifice a creature.
Sacrifice a land: Tap target creature, then put two -1/-1 counters on it.
"Lord, what fools these mortals be."
Contest Winners
Random Words
Round 1: Maraxas-of-Keld, Cryos_Icy_Manipulator Round 2: Dr_Demento, UltraMaximum Round 3: Dr_Demento, Keino Round 4: KunouNoHana Round 5: Maraxas-of-Keld, Stigma_Lasher Round 6: royinator Round 7: forty2j Round 8: Qazior Round 9: Qazior Round 10: Could be you link
Split Cards
Winner: dberry02
Pac-Man
Round 1: Fallingman
Worldprism
Quotes
57051078 wrote:
I just love how focused the YMtC community is.
56901828 wrote:
That's what I love about posting on these forums. Everyone's an expert(except for me).
57031358 wrote:
really no need to be so bitchy.
58021268 wrote:
@Edacade: Awright kid you go on ahead and do your thing and don't let anyone tell you different y'hear
58335208 wrote:
City of Asymmetrical Beings Land :T:, sacrifice a creature: Destroy target creature with the same converted mana cost as the sacrificed creature.
56957928 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
Might I just interject that making this a meme is the worst idea in magic in my opinion. It is too overpowered. It encourages cheating it in play. Essentially 99/100 times it is cheated in play instead of hardcast. Not only that, but you essentially win when it comes into play.
74943291 wrote:
82512575 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
Make five-color hybrid tribal instant with buyback, kicker, cycling, card draw, token production, a steal effect, alternate casting cost and landfall that embodies the love that your mom and I share.
I think you just killed all chances of my card being elegant. Ardency :1mana::symwu::symbr: Tribal Instant - Soldier You may have target opponent gain control of 3 permanents you control rather than pay ~'s mana cost. As an additional cost to cast ~, choose two creatures you control, and sacrifice the rest. If you control a soldier, you can't sacrifice permanents this turn. Landfall - If you had a land enter the battlefield under your control this turn, instead choose 4 creatures. Kicker You get an emblem with "As long as you control both chosen creatures, they have protection from everything." If ~ was kicked, creatures you control get +1/+1 for each creature card in your graveyard until end of turn. Cycling :2mana: When you cycle ~, put two 2/2 Soldier creatures onto the battlefield. Would this EVER fit on a card?~
Aside from a few wording mishaps (should say "each chosen creature" because it's not necessarily two) this is nice. Very simple and elegant. I like the alternate cost a lot, and the kicker goes nicely with the sacrifice. However, the cycling seems a bit powerful (4 power and a card for 3? Cycling is supposed be bad. 8/10 EDIT: Just looked up "ardency". Lol.
58347268 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
58325628 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
I'm immortalized too as long as no one deletes this post!
But in the shadow of the great one lurked many who sought to partake of his eternal glory.
Since when am I "many"?
You're a whole damn city.
74943291 wrote:
83237429 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
83237429 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
Ahem.
58021268 wrote:
Vivisect Sorcery As an additional cost to cast Vivisect, sacrifice a creature. Draw three cards. "For the sake of humanity," the surgeon whispered. The knife had never felt heavier in his hand.
I don't think a world that sacrifices so much would want to stop the making of children .
Vivisect =/= vasectomy
Now I just feel silly.
56287226 wrote:
I read over two hundred webcomics on a regular basis. "Terrible" doesn't even begin to describe me.
70246459 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
I think that this is the first wizards-community thread that actually made me laugh out loud. Maraxas, I love you.
IMAGE(http://www.free-smiley-faces.de/free-animated-smileys_Smileys-animiert-kostenlos/free-animated-smiley-love_smiley-herz-animiert-kostenlos_250x250.gif)
58347268 wrote:
batman is a jerk in all of my dreams
mafia is fun so play it
Gulf of Mexico
Land - Island Swamp
(: Add or to your mana pool)
~ enters the battlefield tapped unless you sacrifice a creature.
Sacrifice a land: Tap target creature, then put two -1/-1 counters on it.
"Lord, what fools these mortals be."

Can you burn it to produce ?
Goblin Artisans - A Magic Design Blog by GDS2 Contestants and Collaborators

My favorite part is the fact that it is a noncreature artifact that, for some reason, has all these creature abilities on it.  AND it has no p/t :P.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out" -Bill Hicks
My favorite part is the fact that it is a noncreature artifact that, for some reason, has all these creature abilities on it.  AND it has no p/t :P.

THAT'S THE JOKE
Jace stumbled along the sidewalk, his mind wandering. An entire plane where magic didn't exist, everything achieved through the twin wonders of artifice and knowledge? How did it happen? How could he take advantage of this? And more importantly: with such a fantastic repository of information at his fingertips, would anything ever be able to persuade him to leave?

The Internet

Legendary Enchantment

Each player plays with his or her hand revealed.
At the beginning of each player's draw step, each player draws a card.
: Draw a card. Any player may activate this ability.

"The Internet is made of words and enthusiasm."
–Erin McKean

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

The Lost City of Atlanta
Legendary Land
~ comes into play tapped
:  Add to your mana pool
:  Flip a coin.  If you win, draw a card.  Otherwise, ~ does not untap during your next untap step.
Objection! Many people say that no power can bring the mountains low. Many people are fools. I have one of those dragon thingies. IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/V6Fr.gif)
Round ends tmr.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Four entries. I guess I wasn't trying hard to push this. Can we get maybe 3 to 4 more submission? Round extended.

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Fog Machine :3mana:
Artifact
Put a 2/1 illusion creature token onto the battlefield. Active this ablity only three times a turn.

"Illusion is simple here, with many mediums to make it stronger." Jace
Are you scared?
The City That Never Sleeps
Legendary Land
: Add :1: to your mana pool.
, Pay 2 life: Draw a card.
"Something tells me Lilianna would get a kick out of this place..."

I have some results and I had a guest judge to help me with the judging. He will be revealed along with the result. Don't know why I can't really satisfied on the "end-product". I will do a bit more editing and post the results tomorrow. In the mean time, new entries are still welcome.

Show some love to our Earth : ) ([Discovery channel music] I love the whole world, and all its craziness. Boom-di-ya-da Boomdiyada....)

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
i bet the guest judge is niklor.

please post cards in my threads they are special places to me

All restraints upon man's natural liberty, not necessary for the simple maintenance of justice, are of the nature of slavery, and differ from each other only in degree. -Lysander Spooner - "Trial by Jury" (19th century)

If you are unhappy with the recent update, especially if you are leaving or are thinking of leaving, please email me at gameostasis@gmail.com so we can talk about a solution. 

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

i bet the guest judge is niklor.

I bet five of your Rag dollars it's not if you'll bet five. Could use an extra five rag dollars. (I have absolutely no idea what your currency is good for, but it could be beneficial to have more of it.)
#pony chat
58325628 wrote:
I, Niklor, in the event of a situation where I am placed at L-1, in other words 1 vote away from being lynched, will bring the hammer vote down upon myself unless it is a known Lylo situation by either announcement or general consensus. Note, if the general consensus is that it's Lylo on days when it clearly isn't, I will ignore them. Please respect the self-hammer by not hammering Niklor in non-Lylo scenarios.
unfortunately, i have no rag dollars to wager, but if you'll lend me 5 rag dollars i'll be glad to take that bet.

All restraints upon man's natural liberty, not necessary for the simple maintenance of justice, are of the nature of slavery, and differ from each other only in degree. -Lysander Spooner - "Trial by Jury" (19th century)

If you are unhappy with the recent update, especially if you are leaving or are thinking of leaving, please email me at gameostasis@gmail.com so we can talk about a solution. 

[spoiler psst]Can't you make more. I assume you are the source of this currency.[/spoiler]

I'd lend you the money, but since I would just make it back I don't really see the reason.

#pony chat
58325628 wrote:
I, Niklor, in the event of a situation where I am placed at L-1, in other words 1 vote away from being lynched, will bring the hammer vote down upon myself unless it is a known Lylo situation by either announcement or general consensus. Note, if the general consensus is that it's Lylo on days when it clearly isn't, I will ignore them. Please respect the self-hammer by not hammering Niklor in non-Lylo scenarios.
printing more money would lead to inflation, bad idea.

So what are Rag dollars? Just something random in your signature?

By the way, good contest Theatog. This post is totally on topic.

#pony chat
58325628 wrote:
Everyone starts with 10 rag dollars.

They can give anyone else rag dollars as they wish. I must witness the transaction for it to be official.

You can theoretically trade rag dollars for anything people will take them for. 

Sounds dirty.
Contest Winners
Random Words
Round 1: Maraxas-of-Keld, Cryos_Icy_Manipulator Round 2: Dr_Demento, UltraMaximum Round 3: Dr_Demento, Keino Round 4: KunouNoHana Round 5: Maraxas-of-Keld, Stigma_Lasher Round 6: royinator Round 7: forty2j Round 8: Qazior Round 9: Qazior Round 10: Could be you link
Split Cards
Pac-Man
Worldprism
Quotes
57051078 wrote:
56901828 wrote:
That's what I love about posting on these forums. Everyone's an expert(except for me).
57031358 wrote:
58021268 wrote:
@Edacade: Awright kid you go on ahead and do your thing and don't let anyone tell you different y'hear
58335208 wrote:
City of Asymmetrical Beings Land :T:, sacrifice a creature: Destroy target creature with the same converted mana cost as the sacrificed creature.
56957928 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
Might I just interject that making this a meme is the worst idea in magic in my opinion. It is too overpowered. It encourages cheating it in play. Essentially 99/100 times it is cheated in play instead of hardcast. Not only that, but you essentially win when it comes into play.
74943291 wrote:
82512575 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
Make five-color hybrid tribal instant with buyback, kicker, cycling, card draw, token production, a steal effect, alternate casting cost and landfall that embodies the love that your mom and I share.
I think you just killed all chances of my card being elegant. Ardency :1mana::symwu::symbr: Tribal Instant - Soldier You may have target opponent gain control of 3 permanents you control rather than pay ~'s mana cost. As an additional cost to cast ~, choose two creatures you control, and sacrifice the rest. If you control a soldier, you can't sacrifice permanents this turn. Landfall - If you had a land enter the battlefield under your control this turn, instead choose 4 creatures. Kicker You get an emblem with "As long as you control both chosen creatures, they have protection from everything." If ~ was kicked, creatures you control get +1/+1 for each creature card in your graveyard until end of turn. Cycling :2mana: When you cycle ~, put two 2/2 Soldier creatures onto the battlefield. Would this EVER fit on a card?~
Aside from a few wording mishaps (should say "each chosen creature" because it's not necessarily two) this is nice. Very simple and elegant. I like the alternate cost a lot, and the kicker goes nicely with the sacrifice. However, the cycling seems a bit powerful (4 power and a card for 3? Cycling is supposed be bad. 8/10 EDIT: Just looked up "ardency". Lol.
58347268 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
58325628 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
But in the shadow of the great one lurked many who sought to partake of his eternal glory.
Since when am I "many"?
74943291 wrote:
83237429 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
83237429 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
Ahem.
58021268 wrote:
Vivisect Sorcery As an additional cost to cast Vivisect, sacrifice a creature. Draw three cards. "For the sake of humanity," the surgeon whispered. The knife had never felt heavier in his hand.
I don't think a world that sacrifices so much would want to stop the making of children .
Vivisect =/= vasectomy
Now I just feel silly.
56287226 wrote:
I read over two hundred webcomics on a regular basis. "Terrible" doesn't even begin to describe me.
70246459 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
I think that this is the first wizards-community thread that actually made me laugh out loud. Maraxas, I love you.
IMAGE(http://www.free-smiley-faces.de/free-animated-smileys_Smileys-animiert-kostenlos/free-animated-smiley-love_smiley-herz-animiert-kostenlos_250x250.gif)
58347268 wrote:
mafia is fun so play it

Sounds dirty.

I'll bet you 5 rag dollars I'm not judging this contest.
#pony chat
58325628 wrote:

Sounds dirty.

I'll bet you 5 rag dollars I'm not judging this contest.

I'll give you five to get in my van...
Contest Winners
Random Words
Split Cards
Pac-Man
Worldprism
Quotes
57051078 wrote:
56901828 wrote:
57031358 wrote:
58021268 wrote:
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
82512575 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
58325628 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
Since when am I "many"?
74943291 wrote:
83237429 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
83237429 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
Ahem.
58021268 wrote:
Vivisect =/= vasectomy
Now I just feel silly.
56287226 wrote:
70246459 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
mafia is fun so play it
Sometimes i forget this is actually a forum LOL (coz' whenever i'm on, my brain is firing hard on designing)

thanks guys. had a good laugh. Also thanking for the free pumps LOL

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]

Guest Judge: Cooties

There is no scores or points since I didn't list any judging criteria in the first place.

Winner: 

Colossus of the Free Heart

Cooties said:
jace flavour: as far as interesting artifacts in our plane, this would probably be one of them. I'm not sure it sizes up to artifacts seen in other worlds though

general flavour: huge statue with attributes that could cause serious destruction, if only it could move. this one lands better than I first thought, I like it more each time I read it

mechanics: looking at the artifact animators, this guy is gonna be huge. either from tezzeret as a 5/5 or based on CMC for a 6/6, he gets +7/+7 to become either a 12/12 trample vig anni2 or a 13/13 and he's indestructible! if that thing gets animated the competition is toast, and between etherium sculptors and the low cost of march of the machines, he becomes one of the fastest "eldrazi"fun points though, colossus gets big points haha

theatog says:
6+ cost, 2 cards combo that's still vulnerable to disenchant (the march, not the artifact) and/or bounce are reasonable. So i'm not worried about the power level.  it's like a second turn Leatherback baloth or a third turn tinker->darksteel colossus (banned tho)

one thing i don't like is the annihilator 2. that to me is somwhat exclusive to the eldrazis. And the statue just doesn't seem That destructive to me.
Big points to the evil grin tho. 

Runner up:
The Internet
cooties said:
jace flavour: he lead into it really nicely, jace might be interested in how such a magicless species could flourish so maginifcantly with technology and ingenuity alone

general flavour: all the knowledge in the world at every player's fingertips, expressed nicely through the telepathy effect and the card drawing for all

mechanics: howling mine for 2, telepathy for U, funky continuous card draw for another U. not exlusive to the caster so makes it a little more budget friendly on casting cost I guess. not sure why it's legendary because I think it'd be fine for the internet to be all over and give more howling mine effects. redundant for the other effects though

theatog said:
I was hoping for something more actual than virtual to be created. Some colors snapped on to countries. but his embodies well what it's trying to be. 

Other comments will be thrown in gradually. Thanks for the patiance and sorry for the delay.

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Thanks! It was fun heaping ridiculous abilities on the artifact. The image of a Statue of Liberty with an evil grin going on rampage and annihilating things makes me chuckle every time I think about it for some reason.

I got the inspiration from an old film:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQj3LIH-DqM&feat...
Are we closing this thread?
Are you scared?
Sign In to post comments