Worry Beads

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm sure I've posted this deck on here at some point before. No idea where the thread is, though, and it keeps coming up in discussion. So here 'tis. Actually very effective in multiplayer - the aim is not so much to be decking people (though it always goes close regardless), but to use it as a means of control while playing reanimation tricksies.
This is about the third iteration of this deck. The Cairn Wanderers are in  simply because I wound up with them, and they fit particularly well. I probably need more Vulturous Zombies and Body Doubles in here, that said.

It's A Worry v3.1
~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)

This deck looks interesting, but maybe it could be more focused; other than a bit of reanimation, you're not really taking much advantage of filling everyone's graveyard up with stuff.  (In that regard, btw, Beacon of Unrest could be a versatile way to return milled artifacts and creatures belonging either to you or others.)

With all of those lands, Life from the Loam or Tilling Treefolk?  Dakmor Salvage is a land that dredges itself back.  Eternal Witness is always strong, as is Genesis.  Then there are also the cards that recur themselves...  Bloodgast and Nether Traitor, Vengevine and Golgari Grave-Troll, they all come back from the grave.  Haakon, Stromgald Scourge brings back not only himself, but also your Cairn Wanderers!

There are also cards that just care about the quantity of cards in graveyards.  Threshold is one, and Mortal Combat, but with those Gaea's Blessings, you can't really count on them working.  Avatar of Woe may be cheap, though (especially handy if you're doing other stuff with your mana in the mid-game, like using Genesis).  Guiltfeeder is another card that could be very effective.  Lhurgoyf, Mortivore, Terravore, and Lord of Extinction can all be huge.

I'm sure there's more stuff that I'm forgetting.  Flashback spells?  Half the set of Weatherlight?

Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...

I think Eternal Witness and more Body Doubles are the first things you want to focus on obtaining. With the Witness, you can replace the Rootwater Divers and Reconstructions. And Body Double translates into more Witnesses, or whatever other tantalizing creature that may be in a grave. You could swap out the Zombify for one copy of Boudy Double, and then cut down on Cairn Wanderers from there. Swapping out these sorceries for creatures of similar function simplifies things; you only need to worry about regrowing a creature, and from there can grab whatever type of card you want in your grave.

Fallow Earth seems a little out-of-place: yes, it takes out a land, but you're not really playing LD. I think it would be best to swap it, and Time Ebb, out for three Temporal Springs. Those are much more versatile.

Another thing would be to look for more in your fatties. You have very little disruption for what's already on the battlefield, so maybe you could look for something that could serve double-duty? Wrexial, the Risen Deep looks synergistic, though situational. Tidespout Tyrant can be mean if he sticks around a few turns. Pestilence Demon is huge and can remove weenies. Kederekt Leviathan seems a good candidate with Unearth.

Dimir Doppelganger fits the colors, but is not true reanimation.

Dread and No Mercy make for nice defense, plus targets to reanimate.  Propaganda can work well with mill if you get all the opposing land and always in a MP environment.

Scumbling1 is correct, a Tidespout Tyrant that survives can be just brutal, especially if you play Fleeting Image alongside it.  Even without the recursion, his bouncing hurts people.

Cheers!
A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.
I think that the most glaring weakness of the deck is how little milling you actually have for a "mill" deck. You want to fill GYs fast so you can power out your creatures and make them huge. You need to add more mill, like Mesmeric Orb.

Otherwise, Lord of Extinction, Mortivore, and Avatar of Woe all love seeing GYs full of creatures. Could alsways consider adding some of them too.
My guide to Black multiplayer cards and strategies: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/18893722?sdb=1&post_num=1#322195706 My guide to Red multiplayer cards and strategies: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28999213/?sdb=1&post_num=1#517562879 My guide to White multiplayer cards and strategies http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29011349/?sdb=1&pg=last#517773211 My guide to Green multiplayer cards and strategies http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29034323/Tichs_Guide_to_Green_Multiplayer_Cards_and_Strategies
Nice replies, guys!
Of course, just when I'd given up on the Cairn Wanderers, I run the deck last night, and as luck would have it, I end up with a ProBlack, ProRed, Lifelink, Flying, Shroud, Deathouch one! Gah!
Firstly, a couple of things I'd like to make a point of. The mill is not really the focus of the deck - it's just enabling reanimation, and is a nice disruption and alt-win. Sticking fatties on the board fourth turn? That's different!
Also, I'm coming to the realization after last night that Animate Dead, cool as it is, is not the right reanimation spell for this deck. It cost me a second Wanderer last night (it would have fallen straight back off thanks to the Shroud and ProBlack it would have gained when it came in). And it can't bring back the Spirit of the Night either.
So, without further ado....

This deck looks interesting, but maybe it could be more focused; other than a bit of reanimation, you're not really taking much advantage of filling everyone's graveyard up with stuff.  (In that regard, btw, Beacon of Unrest could be a versatile way to return milled artifacts and creatures belonging either to you or others.)

With all of those lands, Life from the Loam or Tilling Treefolk?  Dakmor Salvage is a land that dredges itself back.  Eternal Witness is always strong, as is Genesis.  Then there are also the cards that recur themselves...  Bloodgast and Nether Traitor, Vengevine and Golgari Grave-Troll, they all come back from the grave.  Haakon, Stromgald Scourge brings back not only himself, but also your Cairn Wanderers!

There are also cards that just care about the quantity of cards in graveyards.  Threshold is one, and Mortal Combat, but with those Gaea's Blessings, you can't really count on them working.  Avatar of Woe may be cheap, though (especially handy if you're doing other stuff with your mana in the mid-game, like using Genesis).  Guiltfeeder is another card that could be very effective.  Lhurgoyf, Mortivore, Terravore, and Lord of Extinction can all be huge.

I'm sure there's more stuff that I'm forgetting.  Flashback spells?  Half the set of Weatherlight?

I agree - this deck wins by yoinking things out of yards and buffing things that are already out, and yet it could do that better, absolutely (hence the comment on Animate Dead). Beacon of Unrest is a great idea, and I might need to spring for some. I've also got a copy of Haakon sitting about, and he's doubly awesome with Nameless Inversion. Coupled with him hoiking back the Wanderers, he's worth a long look at going in.

I think Eternal Witness and more Body Doubles are the first things you want to focus on obtaining. With the Witness, you can replace the Rootwater Divers and Reconstructions. And Body Double translates into more Witnesses, or whatever other tantalizing creature that may be in a grave. You could swap out the Zombify for one copy of Boudy Double, and then cut down on Cairn Wanderers from there. Swapping out these sorceries for creatures of similar function simplifies things; you only need to worry about regrowing a creature, and from there can grab whatever type of card you want in your grave.

Fallow Earth seems a little out-of-place: yes, it takes out a land, but you're not really playing LD. I think it would be best to swap it, and Time Ebb, out for three Temporal Springs. Those are much more versatile.

Another thing would be to look for more in your fatties. You have very little disruption for what's already on the battlefield, so maybe you could look for something that could serve double-duty? Wrexial, the Risen Deep looks synergistic, though situational. Tidespout Tyrant can be mean if he sticks around a few turns. Pestilence Demon is huge and can remove weenies. Kederekt Leviathan seems a good candidate with Unearth.

Oh goodness yes Temporal Spring! Nice work!
This deck's weakness has always been enchantments that sneak out before I can Memory Lapse them. If they're out already, this deck currently has no answers. A good example of this is the powered-up Beastmaster Ascension that took this deck's head last night. Once it was out, there was no way of preventing it from gaining the seven counters it needed. End game. You're dead right that Temporal Spring needs to replace the Time Ebbs, Fallow Earth, Rebuking Ceremony and other assorted jank that is filling these slots.

In terms of returning needed things, the Gaea's Blessings are currently filling this slot, much as they do things slowly. I do have a couple of Eternal Witnesses in other decks, but I also have a Recurring Nightmare that is tempting me greatly. I had it in here early on in this deck's iterations, but at the time the creature base was much weaker, and it wasn't too hot. Now, things could be different. I agree on more Body Doubles, too - I've surprised people with the singelton a couple of times as it is. Wrexial is already on my wish list, too - I was tempted to try and build a Quest for Ula's Temple deck, but this ironically might be a better spot for the big guy - it's not like he's going to lack copy targets when he connects.

Dimir Doppelganger fits the colors, but is not true reanimation.

Dread and No Mercy make for nice defense, plus targets to reanimate.  Propaganda can work well with mill if you get all the opposing land and always in a MP environment.

Scumbling1 is correct, a Tidespout Tyrant that survives can be just brutal, especially if you play Fleeting Image alongside it.  Even without the recursion, his bouncing hurts people.

Cheers!

Agreed that Tidespout is awesome in many ways - whether he fits here, I'm not sure. The permanents this deck usually puts on the table are Worry Beads + threats. Unfortunately, not too many things that I'd want to be bouncing, apart from the Nekrataal and other potentials.
But I do have a Dread sitting around. He's good value.

I think that the most glaring weakness of the deck is how little milling you actually have for a "mill" deck. You want to fill GYs fast so you can power out your creatures and make them huge. You need to add more mill, like Mesmeric Orb.

Otherwise, Lord of Extinction, Mortivore, and Avatar of Woe all love seeing GYs full of creatures. Could alsways consider adding some of them too.

In my meta, adding more blanket mill will get me hated on like I'm a BP executive right now. ;)
The Worry Beads currently tread the fine line of "I'll put up with it for now". I've considered adding Crumbling Sanctuary, but I suspect even that will soon end up with the "threat" tag.

Time to necro this thread, as I've finally got a hold of the Temporal Springs. And I had two Sphinx of the Steel Wind fall out of another deck... the fun they have with Cairn Wanderer has pretty much ensured that the Wanderers have stayed in (4/4 flying, lifelink, vigliance, ProRed, ProGreen Wanderers FTW)!
-2 Time Ebb
-1 Rebuking Ceremony
-1 Fallow Earth
-1 Inkwell Leviathan (unfortunately claimed by my Ula's Temple deck)
-1 Grave-Shell Scarab (too expensive for what it did)

+4 Temporal Spring
+2 Sphinx of the Steel Wind
Plus a tinkered manabase to help get the Sphinxes out incase of hardcasting.

Now we just need a couple more Body Doubles and Vulturous Zombies, and we have one hell of a deck.

Hooray for sourcing some Lords of Extinction!

+2 Lord of Extinction
-1 Spirit of the Night
-1 Herald of Leshrac

Seems to me like Bonehoard would be a perfect fit. If they idea is to mill GYs and create an unstoppable Cairn Wanderer, he may as well hit for 20. I'd prefer this route over creating some 50/50+ LoE simply because he has no evasion and you don't have a great way to clear the field. He could easily get chumped for a long time. Your only real removal is single target, which isn't ideal at combatting this. If you were to keep the LoEs, I would add Black Sun's Zenith or something to instagib the entire field except for them.

I'm also not a fan of your artifact revival. It feels incredibly limited since it only has 1 target, the beads. After all, you're playing Black and Green which gives you access to cards like Beacon of Unrest, Geth, Lord of the Vault, Eternal Witness, and more. The former 2 are perfect fits in mass mill decks, and will have tons of juicy targets to choose from. I feel like limiting yourself to artifacts in your graveyard is silly.

Finally, I always feel that if you're going to build a deck around one card, you better be able to get it. 4 Beads with no draw/tutors seem like a big no-no, I don't see how you plan to consistently get one into play quickly. I would kill the Gaea's Blessings and maybe a few other cards to get some tutor/draw action going. I hate the Blessing because it kills your plan of reviving creatures and giving your Cairn's some juicy abilities. IMO if you can't kill the other players before you mill yourself then you're doing something terribly wrong. I really don't care what tutors/draw you use, but you definitely need some.
My guide to Black multiplayer cards and strategies: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/18893722?sdb=1&post_num=1#322195706 My guide to Red multiplayer cards and strategies: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28999213/?sdb=1&post_num=1#517562879 My guide to White multiplayer cards and strategies http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29011349/?sdb=1&pg=last#517773211 My guide to Green multiplayer cards and strategies http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29034323/Tichs_Guide_to_Green_Multiplayer_Cards_and_Strategies
Agreed, Tich - this build isn't perfect yet. A playset of Beacon of Unrest is definitely the next thing on the list.
From there, it's figuring out what to replace the janky stuff with (hi there, Rootwater Diver!) - it's got the right pieces, but just needs some solid early defense that plays nice with Cairn Wanderer (hmmm, Glissa, the Traitor might fit here OK...).
And yes, tutors. And a Bonehoard or two (nice suggestion)!

Of course, with all that said, I must add that this deck is fun to play. No-one in my playgroup is prepared for the mill*, and the vast majority are power players, so I have always had fun reanimation or Body Double targets. It's like playing one gloriously fun raffle.

* Which I've never understood, as they've been facing this deck in its various incarnations for years now. I guess Worry Beads must do a very good job of walking the tightrope - good enough to be effective, not good enough to be piffed on sight. In other words, it has the perfect threat level.