6/08/2010 LI: "Totem? Damn Near Killed Him!"

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Limited Information, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Bounce doesn't 2 for 1 you. And you got the Eel Umbra wrong, it's there to protect your creatures from removal at instant speed.
You also got the crab umbra wrong.  If you have creatures with tap abilities (like enclave cryptologist) its good.  I wouldn't play it otherwise.  But if I had 3 or more cards like enclave cryptologist, brimstone mage, tuskcaller or grul draz assassin its a verygood card.
You also got the crab umbra wrong.  If you have creatures with tap abilities (like enclave cryptologist) its good.  I wouldn't play it otherwise.  But if I had 3 or more cards like enclave cryptologist, brimstone mage, tuskcaller or grul draz assassin its a verygood card.

The only creatures with tap abilities that you care about are high pick uncommons and rares.  You'll almost never get three or more of them.  Hence barely playable.
If Lust for War was uncommon, R/G Auras might actually be a strong and consistent performer in draft.  I've successfully obtained two Lust for War along with 8 other auras and 3 Aura Gnarlids, but it's still tough to win any matchup vs. Regress unless they play a Halimar Wavewatch.

I had fun putting a Lust for War on it Turn 3 and passing the turn.  A second Lust for War Turn 4 was just icing.
To quote this article, "But if your opponent is ready with a ..."OpenTip(event, "Regress")" class="nodec">Regress, a ..."OpenTip(event, "Vendetta")" class="nodec">Vendetta, or a ..."OpenTip(event, "Heat Ray")" class="nodec">Heat Ray, then that creature-enhancing Aura will cause you to get seriously set back as your opponent two-for-ones you and develops a large tempo advantage in the process."

Say what?
I thought that a heat ray (or a vendetta for that matter) wouldn't two-for-one a creature with totem armor, since it just deals damage (would destroy) and isn't a -X effect to the creature's toughness.  I agree that the regress would be a two-for-one, but if you vendetta or heat ray a creature with a totem armor, that creature survives, does it not, and the umbra just goes away?

for example, see hyena umbra; how else do you explain "would be destroyed, instead remove all damage from it" ?????
To quote this article, "But if your opponent is ready with a ..."OpenTip(event, "Regress")" class="nodec">Regress, a ..."OpenTip(event, "Vendetta")" class="nodec">Vendetta, or a ..."OpenTip(event, "Heat Ray")" class="nodec">Heat Ray, then that creature-enhancing Aura will cause you to get seriously set back as your opponent two-for-ones you and develops a large tempo advantage in the process."

Say what?
I thought that a heat ray (or a vendetta for that matter) wouldn't two-for-one a creature with totem armor, since it just deals damage (would destroy) and isn't a -X effect to the creature's toughness.  I agree that the regress would be a two-for-one, but if you vendetta or heat ray a creature with a totem armor, that creature survives, does it not, and the umbra just goes away?

for example, see hyena umbra; how else do you explain "would be destroyed, instead remove all damage from it" ?????

He means if your opponent Vendettas your creature in response to the Totem Aura being cast, you have just been 2 for 1'ed.  The casting of the totem aura puts the spell on the stack and your opponent can kill your targetted creature before the totem aura resolves.
It would be interesting to see a guide on how to draft the Aura Gnarlid deck. Is G/W or G/U the better combination? Does the pick order of Totem Armors change when you're evaluating them for Aura Gnarlid?
I drafted a very successful G/U Aura deck.  I went 2-0, 2-0, 2-0 in a Modo 8-4 draft.

This was my list:

Creatures
x2 Aura Gnarlid
x2 Kolzilek's Predator
x1 Ondu Giant
x1 Kazandu Tuskcaller
x1 Sporecap Spider
x1 Overgrown Battlement
x1 Stomper Cub
x1 Pelakka Wurm
x2 Frostwind Invoker
x1 Hada Spy Patrol
Auras
x1 Spider Umbra
x2 Boar Umbra
x1 Snake Umbra
x1 Eel Umbra
x3 Narcolepsy
x1 Drake Umbra
x1 Eldrazi Conscription

x9 Forest
x8 Island

Pack one, my first 3 picks were Narcolepsy.  Pack two I got a Eldrazi Conscription.  Eldrazi Conscription is so rediculous in limited.  

I didn't really need this article to know how good aura gnarlid can be.  I think pretty much everyone knows.

I think this would have been a good time to discuss a more controversial card: Totem-guide hartebeest.  Some people consider it underrated, others completely ignore it.

I didn't really need this article to know how good aura gnarlid can be.  I think pretty much everyone knows.

I think this would have been a good time to discuss a more controversial card: Totem-guide hartebeest.  Some people consider it underrated, others completely ignore it.

It's in white, which is a pretty weak colour outside W/U.

I'd say if you run a heavy G/W auras deck, it deserves a spot, but unless you have a conscription I wouldn't consider running it in to many other decks.

I rate it higher now than I did weeks ago, but I still wont pick it unless (a) I'm aura flooded or (b) the rest of the pack isn't as useful to my current pool. That said, it won me at least three games in a recent draft, though the multiple Guard Duty, Narcolepsy, and Domestication might have helped as well.

It's in white, which is a pretty weak colour outside W/U.

I'd say if you run a heavy G/W auras deck, it deserves a spot, but unless you have a conscription I wouldn't consider running it in to many other decks.

Thing is, if you have say, 2+ removal aura (narcolepsy, guard duty, domestication), it's a removal on legs.  If in addition you have a drake umbra, mammoth umbra or boar umbra, it becomes pretty versatile.

(b) the rest of the pack isn't as useful to my current pool.

Isn't that the case for pretty much all cards?  How often do you pick a card when there's another card in the rest of the pack that would be more useful to your pool? :P  (baring signaling)
That said, I never pick it very high either, but if I have 2 auras I'm hoping to play with at least one of them being a removal, I'll probably want at least one, especially if it's early in the draft.
I heart hartebeast, but clearly if you'v got no Auras worth searching up then the body is quite simple, holding off weenies then becoming Eldrazi snacks.
Thought the same re Crab Umbra, if you've got tappers he's great, but if not then please don't pick it up, you don't know where it's been.
Sign In to post comments