What minis ya using? (A thread for DMs)

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
Show
Dark Sun Encounters is driving my OCD nuts, as there's no way to match up minis.

I know, I know - and I played back in the day before minis too.

For session one, I think I'm using kobolds, since they're small and reptillian - warriors for the ragers (they have spears), champions for the inciter (swords), and archers for the darters (to show they're artillery).

But I dunno what I'm going to do for session 2.  What are ya'll doing?  Don't tell me you're going to use tokens!

For that matter, what are you using for the PCs?  Only one of them is an obvious match, and that mini's getting harder to find on the singles market.
Rule Zero: Save vs. Hivemind http://rulezeroblog.wordpress.com
I'm sticking with tokens for the monsters. However, I'm painting up a bunch of minis for the PCs since I hated the generic "PC1" "PC2" etc tokens. I'll update with pictures when I'm done
I'm sticking with tokens for the monsters. However, I'm painting up a bunch of minis for the PCs since I hated the generic "PC1" "PC2" etc tokens. I'll update with pictures when I'm done

For the NPC's, I am using illustrated cardboard mini's. I plan on sharing them tonight, after collecting some feedback.
Show
For the silt runners, I'm going to use the greenspawn sneaks as the brutes, poison dusk lizardfolk as the skirmishers, and probably the kobold sorcerer as the leader.  It'll provide different visuals to represent the different monsters.

Session 2 is goblins, so I'll be using a mix of whatever I have.

For the bug mount monsters (krank?) I'll be using Kruthik hive lords and various kruthik.

Not sure what else, yet.

I'm using various D&D minis to represent the heroes.
For the monsters:

Show

I'll be using a Celestial Giant Stag Beetle for the large bugs in encounter 2 and Blood Scarabs for the medium bugs.

Will be using random halflings for the goblins in encounter 3, as Athas doesn't have goblins!!   Plus, the players will like the idea of crazy, cannibalistic, barbarian halflings.

For encounter four I'm using Shardstorm Vortex's for the Dust Devils and Half-Illithid Lizardfolk for the Poisonscale Magus.  I thought about using the small Kobold caster mini, but I'm probably already going to use it for the first encounter.

For encounter five I'm going with an Ankheg and Troglodytes for the Poisonscale Slitherers. Ssuran Shaman is being played by a Goblin Adept.

PC's are random PC minis, whatever the players pick.
Encounters, I have yet to make my final choices but this is what I've got so far.

Show

Silt Runners— I'm using Poison Scale Dusk Lizardfolk from WotDQ. They're small as the encounter specifies and I number my plastic mini's so it's easy for me to keep track of which one pertains to which class/role. I did consider using Greenspawn Sneaks from Bloodwar cause they're the right size too.

Kank Soldiers — Celestial Giant Stag Beetles from Bloodwar. Blood Scarabs (Dangerous Delves) or Rune Spiral Demons (Demonweb)for the spiiters ... but I do like the idea of using Kruthiks as Ktulu suggested.

Spiretop Drake — if I can get my hands on the mini from the Demon Web set, I'll use it. Otherwise I've got a Pseudodragon from Unhallowed that can fit the bill.

Goblin Cutters — There's one in the Legendary Evils set, but before they showed up I always used the Goblin Blackblade from War Drums.

Goblin Archer — Greypeak goblin Archer from Unhallowed.

Goblin Cursespewer — Goblin Adept from Death Knell, or just use a Cutter or Blackblade since the Cursespewer wields a dagger.

Ralo — Dwarf Brawler from Desert of Desolation.

Poisonscale Magus — Cleric of Laogzed (WotDQ)

Dust Devils — nothing matches size-wise. So I'm either going to use the medium-sized Air Elemental from Dragoneye (which has been re-released in a Heroscape set) or make a paper mini printed to scale. Then again, I'm warming up to that Shardstorm Vortex. Maybe I can snag some of them in time.

Poisonscale Slitherers — Troglodyte Thug from War Drums.

Ankheg — Underdark set.

Ssuran Shaman — Troglodyte Barbarian from Underdark.

The Player Characters — nothing to spoil here. Where I run the game, it fluctuates between 1-2 tables. I've got a few new players, some who don't own any miniatures. So I tend to bring minis for two tables, just in case. If players bring their own, then they will use them. I also like players to have options, so I'm bringing a few sculpts to choose from. After eyeballing my collection I plan on bringing these:

Barcan:
Bonded Fire Summoner/Male Human Wizard (War of the Dragon Queen/Arcane Heroes 2)
Wizard Tactician (Underdark)
Earth Shugenja (Underdark)
Wild Mage (Night Below)

Castri:
Valenar Commander (Aberrations)
Wood Elf Ranger (War Drums)
Wild Elf Ranger (Angelfire)
Wild Elf Warsinger (Unhallowed)

Jarvix:
Tiefling Warlock (Dungeons of Dread)
Tiefling Warlock (Unhallowed)
Tiefling Warlock (Arcane Heroes 1)

Phye:
Greyhawk City Militia Sergeant (Night Below)
Xeph Warrior (Angelfire)

Shikirr:
Thri-Kreen Ranger (Harbringer)
Thri-Kree Barbarian (Angelfire)

Yuka:
Dragon Totem Hero (War Drums)
Dark Traveler (Deathknell)

For those of you who remember the old "Cardboard Heroes" from Steve Jackson Games, Xav Mihelic has illustrated a sheet of cardboard miniatures for the NPC's for Encounter 1-1.  She intends to do a set of NPC's for each session in Season 2, although we might not have the HP and ability trackers for the subsequent sessions.

I used a set similar to these for one of the Season 1 sessions, and everyone seemed to get a big kick out of it.  Just print the image out on the heaviest card stock you can get your hands on, a little scissors and paste, and your done.  (If you have a Kinko's nearby, a box cutter, a glue stick and a couple sheets of card stock runs you about $5.)

Please let me know how they work out, Xav's eager for feedback.  Apologies in advance for the file size (1.5MB), I set the DPI for "abusive" when I was pulling the sheet together.

Show

This image is just one big spoiler; players beware!
Encounter 1-1 Paper Miniatures
Cool stuff. I linked to this from the DM Tools thread. You can always find images (and prices) here.

For 1-1:

I am using Greenspawn Sneak for Ds, Slaad Spawn for the brutes, and a Poison Dusk Lizardfolk for the I.

For PCs:
I am having a bunch of my old Dark Sun minis painted (I wish I had the time to do it myself). However, for the first week, here are some ideas. In most cases I am bringing 2-3 so the person can choose. There is often a big difference between the card image and the description.

Barcan: Bonded Fire Summoner or Male Human Invoker
Castri: Wild Elf Raider seems perfect
Jarvix: Male Tiefling Warlock (D&D Heroes) seems ok, except for the description... no one-horned cowled dagger-wielding tielfings, but you could use Half-Orc Spy or Githzerai Cenobite since the cowl would hide most features. The Cenobite even looks like it has a tail because of the cloak.
Phye: Redhead with pole-arm? Um, not in my collection. But, Dragonmark Heir of Deneith has red hear and looks plausibly DS-ish. Female Human Avenger has red hair and a very long sword held in front. Inspired Lieutenant has a long spear.
Shikirr: something like Bauriar Ranger can cover you in a pinch.
Yuka: I have a few metal minis that work well. I don't really find any of the bald minis to fit, let alone have the right skin color/weaponry. There is a mini with rope and grappling hook that works by Ral Partha, as well as a monk that I happened to have painted a very reddish brown.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

I was thinking of using the Goliath Barbarian for the Mul. I presume the color is off but it may be the best fit for the race.

I have no insectoid races for the Thrikreen
I added these from KJordan, PC mini stand-ins! A nice solution for DMs that want a bit more 3D than the tokens and don't have suitable minis.

Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

Very cool; I'm hoping Xav will have the remaining NPCs for chapter one ready for cardboard miniatures in the next week or so.  For people using these, I highly recommend little plastic bases, like the ones sold by Politically Incorrect.  It gives more weight and friction so they won't slide around the map so much.

Show

She is looking forwards to trying to give the Goblins in 1-3 a serious Athasian spin since, in the old 2nd ed materials they were an extinct race.  My suggestion of demented jawa's was rejected right out.
For those of you who remember the old "Cardboard Heroes" from Steve Jackson Games, Xav Mihelic has illustrated a sheet of cardboard miniatures for the NPC's for Encounter 1-1.  She intends to do a set of NPC's for each session in Season 2, although we might not have the HP and ability trackers for the subsequent sessions.

I used a set similar to these for one of the Season 1 sessions, and everyone seemed to get a big kick out of it.  Just print the image out on the heaviest card stock you can get your hands on, a little scissors and paste, and your done.  (If you have a Kinko's nearby, a box cutter, a glue stick and a couple sheets of card stock runs you about $5.)

Please let me know how they work out, Xav's eager for feedback.  Apologies in advance for the file size (1.5MB), I set the DPI for "abusive" when I was pulling the sheet together.

Show

This image is just one big spoiler; players beware!
Encounter 1-1 Paper Miniatures

I like it but it only prints out the I and part of a D tracking card and none of the standie tents.
I'm second from the left in the picture.

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

If you are using Internet Explorer, it does not respect the DPI of images for the purposes of printing -- it just prints at a fixed 90 DPI, and lops off any part of the image that doesn't fit on the page.  I recommend saving the PNG to a file, either by right-clicking on the link to the image, or on the image itself, and using "Save (link or image) As.."

Open the file directly using "Windows Image Viewer" or "Image Preview" and print it from there -- Windows Image Viewer is a bit brighter about pictures and such.  (Speaking Windows 7 and Vista, here -- don't have an XP virtual machine handy.)  

Sorry for the hassle, normally I wrap these things in PDF's to ensure Internet Explorer can't get confused, but some PDF viewers have their own fun bugs involving high DPI images.  

Thanks very much for the work around Fuligin keep up the great work.

For PCs:
I am having a bunch of my old Dark Sun minis painted (I wish I had the time to do it myself). However, for the first week, here are some ideas. In most cases I am bringing 2-3 so the person can choose. There is often a big difference between the card image and the description.

I considered using my old Dark Sun metal minis but it's so much easier to throw a bunch of plasticos into a ziplock bag and go. But if I was running this game at my house, then it would be metal all the way.
Show
 Ok i noticed a couple of good mini's the human male invoker from divine heros set for Barcan and a easy kit bash for Siltrunner darters.  I had several of the Kobold archer (not even an offifial monster anymore) minis from Comicon I carefully removed the upper and lower limbs of the bow and was left with a small humanoid lizard with a blow gun looks pretty good.

I made my final chices and changed things up a bit - sizes be damned. Not sure this really helps anyone now but ...

Show

Ragers — Greenspawn sneaks
Inciter — Lizardfolk rogue
Darters — Poison Dusk Lizardfolk
Ok, I don't have these minis but its the ones I would use for the PC if I had the choice.

Jarvix: Tiefling Necromancer (Savage Encounters #37)
Phye: Greyhawk City Militia sergeant (Night Below #13)
Barcan: Male Human Druid (Players Handbook Heroes series 2 #17)
Shikirr: Ettercap Webspinner (Desert of Desolation #48)
Yuka: Longtooth Barbarian (Aberations #19)
Castri: Scorpion Clan Drow Fighter (Angelfire #34) 

For Jarvix I'd probably cut one of the horns off just to make it fit a little better. Yuka and Castri were the hardest to match, but these figures are acceptable replacements. I didn't care for the thri-kreen models already presented by the D&D minis but the Webspinner fits nicely. 
A few quick suggestions to everyone:

If you don't have a Thri-Kreen, either of the two mezzodemon minis can work quite well:

Also, my choices for the heroes:

Phye: Greyhawk city militia seargent

Castri: Elf Ranger (harbinger)

Yuka:  Dragon Totem Hero (not bald, but looks like a wild nomad)

Jarvix:  Tiefling Necromancer

Barcan:  Raistlin 

Shikirr:  Thri-Kreen Ranger

Why put the pics under spoiler tags?

I took similar choices, though I have a Stonechild for Yuka, used an Elf Barbarian for Castri, and the Wizard Tactician for Jarvix (I could have used the tiefling warlock but ...)

I was so happy to find my Thri-kreen Ranger mini. I thought I'd lost him.
Why put the pics under spoiler tags?

Just to allow the page to load easier.  I always hate when a thread has 40 pictures opening at once messing up formatting and such. 
I resurrect this thread for Chapter 2!

For 2-1 I am using the following:

C: Any zombie or skeleton, but I like the Orc Zombie.
G: Flameskull works nicely.
O: Ochre Jelly from Against the Giants works fine. There is one in gray-green as a promo. There is also the Archfiends version.
P: no need.

For 2-2 I am using the following:

C: Blade Spider is a good choice, or the one from Dragoneye. The Phaseweb Spider is very cool, especially the promo version. There are a number of nice Ral Partha and similar metal minis (which is what I will be using, since I like how I painted them a lot).
G: I have no idea, outside of cutting up some toys... anyone have an idea?
S: Any of many skeletons works fine.

Mini choices for Encounter 2-1—
[spoiler] Corruption Corpse - Demonweb / Grey Ooze - Ochre Jelly, Against the Giants / Griefmote - Air Mephit, Unhallowed
Kerry Jordan has created some very nice paper stand-ins for Chapter 2, which I have hosted and linked in the DM's Tools thread.

Here was my Quick take on 2-1 encounter Griefmotes, and I left room to place minis
 on the base.

and for encounter 2-2 Crawling Gauntlets

nothing spectatcular but it works
Ok, for 2-2:
Show

For the gauntlets I used the yellow hands from Legos. It worked fine and was pretty funny. You can easily put three in one PC's square, which is a plus!

For 2-3 I am using:

• Earth Archon Rumbler captures most of the flavor and just reskins the crystal to be more "earth with embedded crystals"

• I will use 3 Arbalesters to show the location of the three dart throwers once spotted.

• I will be decorating this and future encounters with additional terrain bits from the Mage Knight dungeon artifacts series (there are two sets and both are excellent - no longer in production but found on E-Bay for reasonable prices). The terrain has plants wrapped around columns and idols, which I will use to describe Green Age aspects.

For 2-4 I am using:

I really could not find any good Hejkin substitutes. Even with the variance between the picture in the mod and the original monster image, there isn't much like that. Some ideas:
  • Dekanter Goblin may work as a brute

• Dark Creeper as a brute or soldier (these actually fit pretty well, I think)

• Blue as casters

• Some metal kobolds I have that look generic enough

For 2-5 I am using:

Sign In to post comments