Tide of Iron with Battering Shield and Gauntlets of Ram

6 posts / 0 new
Last post

This came up in a game last time, I can now push 3 when I hit with Tide of Iron but some folks say I can shift up to the enemy while others say just one square. If an enemy is pushed through a square, did they occupy it? I looked through the errata but couldn't find anything.

Thanks.

Hit: 1[W] + Strength modifier damage, and you push the target 1 square if it is your size, smaller than you, or one size category larger. You can shift into the space that the target occupied.

The key part is the last line. You can shift into the space that the target occupied, past tense. This means you move into the space the creature was in prior to your attack. Take a look at some of the other powers that allow massive movement. When you are allowed to follow the target all the way to its new square it includes nomenclature about shifting or moving longer distances. This at-will power was not meant to do that.

So while you are pushing the target three squares you can still only move the one square into the space where the creature occupied originally.
Ore is correct. I have a Dwarf Fighter that does the exact same thing, although I use Gauntlets of the Ram and Rushing Cleats (haven't decided if I want the feat yet to make it 4 squares, 5 if I add a Ring of the Ram). But, yeah, you have to shift into the square the creature was occupying at the time you hit him. Of course, you always get to decide if you push someone the max distance, so you can always push him 1 (or none) squares if you want to stay adjacent.

P.S. One really good trick I use is comboing this with Shield Push. That way when a creature I have marked makes an attack that does not include me, I push them so far away from the target when I interrupt their attack that they can't finish the attack they started.
Writing Director - Returned Abeir
I disagree, actually.  When you push the target 3 squares, it occupies three different squares at different times duing the push.  By the time you make the shift, those have all become "past tense."  You should be able to shift into any of them.

"Edison didn't succeed the first time he invented Benjamin Franklin, either." Albert the Alligator, Walt Kelly's Pogo Sunday Book  
The Core Coliseum: test out your 4e builds and fight to the death.

I reckon it's debatable, and could go either way.

At my table, you're only getting a shift into the square the guy was in at the start, not any of the others.  I would not argue (or even raise the issue) if I was at another table where the DM ruled the other way though.  I'd never build a character counting on this ability.

I disagree, actually.  When you push the target 3 squares, it occupies three different squares at different times duing the push.  By the time you make the shift, those have all become "past tense."  You should be able to shift into any of them.

Yeah, I'd be shocked if my fighter sat a table with a DM that allowed it to work, so I'd never plan on it.

Being able to push 2+ squares is cool all on its own, though. Especially if you can slow at the same time
Keith Richmond Living Forgotten Realms Epic Writing Director
Sign In to post comments