Ask the Author (Fury of the Wastewalker)

261 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hello DDE fans,

I'm the author of the second season of D&D Encounters, Fury of the Wastewalker. It's been a pleasure and a challenge to put this season together. I've been lurking in the forums for Season 1 and i love what Erik has done to support his work. I hope to provide you all with something similar: design notes, tips, clarifications, etc. 

Overall, my design philosophy for Fury was really to highlight the tension and danger of Dark Sun. I tried to create a story that evokes the elemental energies that permeate the world, combined with the classic tropes of D&D. I take my inspiration from my favorite adventure yarns like Fritz Lieber's Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser series, Garth Nix's Abhorsen series and the Hobbit.  

My first tip, i guess, would be to remind all of you, but especially the DMs, that this story is yours to tell. The written portion of the adventure is just a framework for you to create something interesting, engaging, and most importantly, fun. If something doesn't work or doesn't seem quite right, please use your imagination to inspire something better. 

Players, this campaign presents a new opportunity to embrace a set of pre-generated characters and bring them to life as part of an ongoing story. We've given you a little seed, now it's up to you to provide the nutrients to grow these characters over the course of the next few months. It's a little different trajectory than the trend toward player-generated characters in organized play, but one that i strongly believe in. Call me "old school" or whatever, but i've always loved the challenge of taking a character handed to me, adding my own flavor, and bringing it to life. I guess it's the drama major in me that i never really pursued. 

I'm really excited to hear your tales of adventure, both players and Dungeon Masters, and how you brought the story i framed to life. To me, that's what separates this experience from writing a novel or short story. We get to share the experience of creating this story together. 

Thanks for playing. I hope you all enjoy Fury of the Wastewalker. Please feel free to use this thread to ask questions or provide feedback to me.

Yours truly,

Nicholas Tulach

mudbunny here:
I am going to be going through the thread and sblocking the posts that are not questions to Nicholas. At the same time, I would also encourage people to use the other threads in the forum.

Reviews/comments about a session should be placed in the thread for that week. (Week 1 is here.)

Questions/comments about the errata should go here (for characters).

Please keep this thread directed towards questions to Nicholas.
Great to see you here, Nicholas!

And here's a wad of stick-um for your post as a welcoming gift.   
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Y'all can call me Nick (or whatever else you come up with after the first session). It's easier to type and less formal sounding.

Some hidden DM info: 
Show

Let me add another general comment about this adventure: In true Dark Sun fashion, this is a very deadly adventure. As DMs you will have to manage this carefully to keep the tension high, but not to frustrate the players too much. This is not an easy job and i don't have a lot of tips on how to accomplish this other than the usual - give the players a punch in the mouth (not literally) and then another (it is Dark Sun after all) and then start to back off
I guess I will start then with asking the 1st question...

What are the official erratas for the pre-gen characters?

**This information is vital so that the players aren't completely confused by invalid (or incomplete) information on the characters we give them to choose from.
Links that I find very useful, will be added here. http://community.wizards.com/vinciente/blog/2010/02/24/useful_damp;d_pageslinks
I highly doubt that the author of the adventure is also the one who created the pre-gen characters.
Sorry, just like Erik last season, i do not have any official information to give. Only my thoughts as a writer and encounter designer. 
FWIW, I made Chris aware of the (player-made) Character Errata thread, when I asked about having Character Cards on the site.

His response was that the errata is fairly minor and doesn't make the characters in any way unplayable.  To that end, I personally doubt we'll see an *official* errata, though I suggested he review the thread before uploading the Character Cards.

Speaking of Character Cards, he's going to aim for getting those posted on Monday. 
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Nick,

I have some questions about the skill challenge:

Show

It says the following in the Fleeing Across the Wastes section:
At the beginning of Sessions 2 through 5, each character makes one skill check for this ongoing skill challenge.

It's quite possible for a party of 6 to complete the skill challenge in 2 sessions. Do you keep having them make checks after they have succeeded or failed on the next 2 sessions?

If they rack up 3 failures, since you can erase one, you don't count the success or failures until the final session, correct?

Technically, you could reach 12+ sucesses and 3+ failures by session 5. How do you determine which is the correct outcome. Do you count the one you reach first if both are true by Session 5?

Thanks,

Bryan Blumklotz
GotG Organizer
Thanks for posting here Nick!  Be prepared for a few irate people.  But by and large I expect the community to use you as a valuable resource.  Personally I love Dark Sun and am thrilled to get to run your adventure!  Now, a few questions:

Show

1)  Its not entirely clear, but I'm going to assume the storm is following the PC's and thus they can't just ask "Can we make a B-line for Tyr?  I mean it almost as close as the Ringing Mountains!"

2)  The Silt Runner Rages each have the potential for three attacks that each do 4d6+4 damage, in addition to a 2d6+5 regular attack.  Thats butal brute brutality!  I know we want danger, but those seem a bit tough, right?  (I'm going to watch damage closely, and perhapse make those a 3d6+4 attack or so...)

3)  In session 1-4 Ralo is a target.  I'm going to assume even if he is 'knocked unconsious', he's up at the end of the combat (with PC's help).  Does he continue with the PC's after 1-4?  If not how can he survive the Obsidian Storm?  And I take it the "Mystery of the Hidden Veil" is a boon and not a head slot or other solid magic item?

4)  Are the Pregen's hardwired to the adventure.  The store I am running with has really been pushing for more PC options and the organizer might force the option to allow other Dark Sun 4E characters in.  Are there specific plot threads for the pre-gens that we should know of to 'lock them in'?

I of course have a few ideas of my own, but would love to hear from the author!  Thanks in advance!

Am I correct in thinking that:

Show
1) survival days don't get marked off til the end of chapter one... and

2) sun sickness doesn't come into play until chapters 2 & 3 - where characters that were here for session one and didn't pick up supplies will pay for not doing so?

'preciate it.
Rule Zero: Save vs. Hivemind http://rulezeroblog.wordpress.com
Yo yo, Nick--glad to see you on the boards!

[electronic fist bump]

Cheers
Am I correct in thinking that:

Show
1) survival days don't get marked off til the end of chapter one... and

2) sun sickness doesn't come into play until chapters 2 & 3 - where characters that were here for session one and didn't pick up supplies will pay for not doing so?

I also want to know the answer to this one.
Show
Since it looked like chapter 2 takes place inside, I don't quite see the immediate relevance.  Unless there are multiple days between some of the encounters, and I didn't see anything that stated that clearly.  Nor did I see any clear statement expressing how someone would catch sun sickness

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

Here are some answers to Dreamdarwin's questions. I hope i formatted these right since preview doesn't seem to work too well in my browser. 

Show

1)  Its not entirely clear, but I'm going to assume the storm is following the PC's and thus they can't just ask "Can we make a B-line for Tyr?  I mean it almost as close as the Ringing Mountains!"

Their path is blocked by the Wastewalker. The only opening they have is to make a run for the mountains. Each time, through the course of the first five encounters, they are pushed deeper and deeper into the foothills by the Wastewalker and his allies. 

2)  The Silt Runner Rages each have the potential for three attacks that each do 4d6+4 damage, in addition to a 2d6+5 regular attack.  Thats butal brute brutality!  I know we want danger, but those seem a bit tough, right?  (I'm going to watch damage closely, and perhapse make those a 3d6+4 attack or so...)

Yes, that's some serious brutality. You should feel free to tone it down based on the nature of your players. As i've said before, hit them in the mouth hard, then scale it back. In my opinion, that's how Dark Sun should feel. The first encounter was designed to be brutal and something where your best option is to run (after grabbing just enough stuff to survive the wilds of Athas). By no means are the PCs supposed to be able to stand toe-to-toe with the silt runners in their own environment, let alone being pelted by a shard storm.

3)  In session 1-4 Ralo is a target.  I'm going to assume even if he is 'knocked unconsious', he's up at the end of the combat (with PC's help).  Does he continue with the PC's after 1-4?  If not how can he survive the Obsidian Storm?  And I take it the "Mystery of the Hidden Veil" is a boon and not a head slot or other solid magic item?

Good question. I conceived of Ralo as a wandering desert mystic. Because of this, he is probably known to the Wastewalker and likely in for a deadly (off camera) encounter with Wastewalker if he escapes 1-4 alive. You can choose whether he survives 1-4 (if he drops) or not; whatever you feel fits your telling of the story best.

4)  Are the Pregen's hardwired to the adventure.  The store I am running with has really been pushing for more PC options and the organizer might force the option to allow other Dark Sun 4E characters in.  Are there specific plot threads for the pre-gens that we should know of to 'lock them in'?

There are some minor ways that they are wired into the adventure. The original story had them moreso, but limitations had me axe a lot of those details. Feel free to add your own subplots for the characters or, better yet, encourage the players to work on their own ideas for the pregens. 

I'm not sure what the "official" word is on adding more character options, but i do think that the characters provided give a good flavor of Dark Sun and a nice range of abilities. The pre-gen concept is something very dear to me and i'm really excited to see how the players enjoy the challenge of bringing a pre-gen character to life. I'm not sure that answers your question, but those are my thoughts.

A few questions :

question

What the heck is the difficult terrain?  I've been treating it as small sand dunes with soft sand in my head. Am I close?

Map 1-2 has some interesting bits going on, it stats 3 A's and 2 S's in the creature blocks, yet the map has the numbers the other way around (with a difference of +50XP as the map presents it). Also the picture shows a rider on what one assumes is a "S" and even the traits mention if someone is riding on top there is a CA thing going on, but they don't state for sure if this is the case. (My feeling, loose bugs, no riders) [not that it matters in the whole XP thing, but the top states 725XP, and yet, even if you go with the 3 S and 2 A setup it only is 675XP]

Map 1-3 the same thing about the XP, not a big deal, but it totals 600XP for all elements encountered. (and not a question)

Map for 1-5 is oriented one way with where the creatures go, and yet in the inside flap it is inverted the other way (turn 180 degrees). It also states that the top and left of the map is basically a 100 foot sheer cliff. Am I correct in assuming that the map of p23 is the correct orientation? (it seems to make the most sense)

Also with map 1-5, are the lizardfolk scared of the entire dotted line area? And another XP issue, but there are weird ways to make the fight easier, 825XP total for all elements.
[sblock]Well, in the bit about the skill challenge, it says "This skill challenge simulates two days of excruciating travel and survival."  So I'd assume that they'd need to be using 2 survival days per character (12 total for 6 characters) over the course of Chapter 1.  If they didn't get that many, they could start feeling the Sun Sickness by the end of the Chapter, or the start of the next one.
Some additional comments (addressing points by Perithoth and Sans_Serif):

Show

The skill challenge as i submitted it is separate from Sun Sickness presented in the sidebar. I'm not sure if the final version includes changes to either of these elements as i wrote them.

At the conclusion of the skill challenge, the PCs either regain a healing surge (success), regain nothing (partial success), or lose a healing surge (failure). As per usual, the condition that is first met is the only one applied. For example, if the PCs get really good results and achieve 12 successes by Week 4, they succeed at the skill challenge and survive the desert.

Though i wrote the skill challenge to apply the bonus healing surge at the beginning of Encounter 1-5, you may award it to them at the beginning of an earlier encounter if they achieve success earlier. That was an oversight on my part, but i think it's a fair reward for good luck.

In the failure case, do not apply the lost healing surge (or damage) until the beginning of Encounter 1-5. 

Regarding sun sickness/survival days accounting, i originally wrote that players/characters joining the party after Session 1 should be given two survival days for use later in the adventure.

I hope this helps.

Ooooh, I like that latter idea, tirianmal.

I might very well steal that.  (Though I suppose I sort of hinted at that in my own description - but, we all know how well players sometimes take hints. . . ) 

I find that players often miss hints. You have to club them over the head with the clue-by-four sometimes.
Agreed, some good thoughts there Tirianmal, my plan for running the encounter was as follows

Show

Letting the PC's with trained Nature "take 10" and realize those supplies are important. Also to have the silt runners obviously signal other hunters that they've found their quarry right at the start of the fight, this should let the PC's know that more could arrive at any moment. Lastly, to have the silt runners flee after 2-3 are dead and the offer the following:

"Silt Runners are easily startled, but they will be back soon and in greater numbers"
*in his best Sir Alec Guiness voice* 

Just my two coppers worth
The Alphadork
Show
Actually, I think the brutes are not the most dangerous monster on the field.  Granted attacks are nasty.

But yeah, the clue-by-four to run will be important.  Or it will be a short adventure.

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

I will likely explain special encounter rules as an aside.  I will then try and obliquely make it clear to them that there is a time factor by explaining that there are more creatures in the distance that will arrive if they tarry too long, as well as the fact that they will need supplies to survive.

I will likely have a pile of tokens to represent Survival Days and let the players accrue small hoards of them as they like.  This gives a visual concept that is better than hashmarks on a paper.  Also it will be easily visible to the entire table.

I expect that the ranged characters will be able to hang back and gather supplies while the melee characters meet the monsters head on.  But its all for naught if the people carrying the supplies don't make it off the board :-p
My thoughts on "running"
Show
  I was planning on using a variant of tirianmal's idea to convince the PC's to run. On the first round I was going to explain as the character look around that to the south that they vaguely thru the dimminsihing storm  see shadowy shapes moving amongst the destroyed caravan finishing off survivors and looting.
 On round two I was going to tell the PCs that the shapes seem to be getting closer but thier arrival is not immenent.
 On round three I was going to tell them that the see many Slitrunners approaching but again they shouldnt arrive by the next turn.
 On round four I would tell them that they think the first of the additional siltrunners arrival on the map is imment and that there are many more behind them and now the PC's can make out larger creatures in the remanents of the storm the see the outlines of large creatures are approaching from the west and while perhaps the first wave may not be overwhelming that the creatures will be fresh and relentles and that with the Silt on the east the only viable escape route is North.  Im not going to mention running till round four but then Im going to make it into a strong hint that the time to go is very soon.

I'm second from the left in the picture.

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

Spoilers Kedrith ...
I haven't a question yet as I will be picking up my kit tonight at the store to start reading it, but I wanted to chime in and say THANK YOU for being here to answer questions about the adventure.  I found with Erik's adventure that it was helpful when things were a little unclear (usually an editing thing).

So a big thank you in advance Nick!  (I'll post questions tomorrow if I have any) 
I was wondering this about the "Omen"
Show
 In The Adventure Begins! section (page 8) its states "The first night out in the wastes, the psion, Jarvix, noticed a subtle shower of meteors..."    Im guessing that was a printers error and it meant Barcan in place of Jarvix?

Even if not I think Ill describe it as Barcan witnessing the Meteor shower as it fits his background so well.  Since Barcan doesnt seem like a real people person, who would be comfortable going to strangers, I think Ill describe him taking the warning to Jarvix and Jarvix, not a real people person either.  Then Jarvix approaches the Caravan guide and attempting the warning and failing.

Spoilers Kedrith ...

doh oops how do I insert spoilers?

thanks editing now

Show

I get the feeling I don't have the same concept of "challenge" that the writers of these encounters do.
A couple points:
  • It is not a natural thing for the PCs to run. Sure, running seems like a good idea. I'm sure a great many things seem like good ideas - there is no guarantee a single one of them will occur unless there is something specifically pointing out the course of action intended by the person who devised the adventure. In fact, I suspect without such a hint, the assumption by the PCs is that the encounter should be overcomeable. I've played with a DM who made this mistake. We all died.
  • 2d6+5 damage + 3 atks each at 4d6+4. Is "encourage the players to run away" being made the same thing as "kill the players and have them woken up somewhere else?"

As others said, you have to be really clear. Subtle doesn't overcome ingrained behavior. Also, try to make it their decision by allowing them to uncover the information. Others wrote about this, but it bears emphasizing that players react best when they discovered the optimal tactic.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

Ok, now for my question to the author.

First, thank you. This is an adventure I am really looking forward to running. Haven written a smidgeon of LFR, I understand very well how hard it is to avoid errors and confusion. I can only imagine what it must be like for a project like this.

Now for my question:

Is the decision to include goblins based on something you decided - either that goblins should exist or an oversight? Or is this from up high that DS now has goblins?

Previous lore had them gone for thousands of years after the champion Daskinor "Goblin Death" cleansed Athas of all goblins in 822 years. As I would assume cleansing to be confirmed via Rajaat, I was surprised to see them in the adventure.

I would like to know if it is official, so as to think about what change (if any) I want to do on my end. If official, I might leave it here and just change it away for my home campaigns. If unofficial, I will likely reskin them as halfling raiders.

Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

Alphastream - If the decision is not from on high and you DO decide to reskin like you mention, shoot me the stats yer gonna use and I can make up some alternate Monster knowledge check cards for that session. : )

Oh yeah and check yer inbox. 

First, thank you. This is an adventure I am really looking forward to running. Haven written a smidgeon of LFR, I understand very well how hard it is to avoid errors and confusion. I can only imagine what it must be like for a project like this.

Now for my question:

Is the decision to include goblins based on something you decided - either that goblins should exist or an oversight? Or is this from up high that DS now has goblins?

Previous lore had them gone for thousands of years after the champion Daskinor "Goblin Death" cleansed Athas of all goblins in 822 years. As I would assume cleansing to be confirmed via Rajaat, I was surprised to see them in the adventure.

I would like to know if it is official, so as to think about what change (if any) I want to do on my end. If official, I might leave it here and just change it away for my home campaigns. If unofficial, I will likely reskin them as halfling raiders.

Im not the the aurthor of course but I have heard that in the new edition of 4e that the crusades may have left a few scattered surviviors in the waste.

Im not the the aurthor of course but I have heard that in the new edition of 4e that the crusades may have left a few scattered surviviors in the waste.

Can you share the source? I can see a lot of fun in having a few cases, but it also seems a long shot due to the incredible powers and the length of time involved.

Can you share the source? I can see a lot of fun in having a few cases, but it also seems a long shot due to the incredible powers and the length of time involved.

various WotC guys at uncle's games where we do encounters at.

you may be able to aslo consider upon Rich Baker's comments regarding missing races during a podcast. without directly quoting, 'if you really want to pull it into Dark Sun, you can. the material is a greate framework, but doesn't have to be a straight jacket.'

Show
i agree that the fiction material and older material may have given clear guidelines that there are races that simply don't exist in this setting, but as the concepts of core material are placing a desire to have greater exchange of monsters, races, classes, and such, the DM will ultimately make their own thing of the setting.

my understanding is that the halflings might not respond in quite the same tactics as these goblins are taking with the party; it is much more foolish and prone to failure. I'm not sure that is a risk that the halflings would be willing to make, particularly if their own settlements are nearby. it could be that halflings don't like the other races, but still wouldn't want to attract that much attention.

i'm going to be using the goblins, but i'm certainly not using green-skinned and smelly; i'm going to be using my yellow goblin minis and considering these to be yellowed and tan goblinoids of some kind beaten by sand and wind to look like the desert basins, regardless of former lore. when i actually get the books and start a campaign, then i'll decide if and how goblins integrate.

i would suggest using elven raiders, or possibly ssurans--more siltrunners--if the goblins are that much of an immersion breaker. even if there are players that could recite the lore from earlier material, things simply change some over time.

another consideration is that if you do go on to play the setting, but allow halflings as a PC race, you've possibly got some players with a chip on their shoulder about halflings. momentarily, it might be better to offer a different antagonist.

Now for my question:

And my responses: 
Show

Goblins: My decision to include "goblins" was purely technical. I meant to describe them as desert sand people rather than straight-up D&D-style goblins, but i missed this in the final round of editing. Feel free to reskin them as small desert sand people instead of goblins if that makes you more comfortable.

I would refrain from reskining them as halflings. You'll see why.
Some of the monsters included in this season's D&D Encounters campaign might not have traditionally been Dark Sun monsters, but more will be explained in the books when they are released.

Certainly, if you see a monster in Fury of the Wastewalker, it's not completely disappeared from the world. They might be much more rare than on a standard D&D world, though. 

Chris Tulach

D&D Program Manager

Wizards of the Coast  

Chris on Twitter

On the above topic of reskinning:

Cool, sand people works well.

DanTracker, keep in mind halflings are cannibalistic towards other sentient races. They really should be feared. PCs with a thri-kreen in their party, and especially with a halfling, should really be looking over their shoulder. That doesn't mean PC-vs-PC, just RPing the reaction. Halfling raiders can work - if they are hungry enough then they will be desperate and their feral side and yet wise side can be the shiftyness of goblins. Any race has good and evil, to some extent.

Some of the monsters included in this season's D&D Encounters campaign might not have traditionally been Dark Sun monsters, but more will be explained in the books when they are released.

Certainly, if you see a monster in Fury of the Wastewalker, it's not completely disappeared from the world. They might be much more rare than on a standard D&D world, though. 

(Reposted from a different thread)
I'm always a big fan of "what is" as opposed to "what was" in terms of a new, or re-newed, campaign settings.  That said there are some ways a DM can work a particular monster to make it feel more Dark Sun -ish

Show
  Don't call the goblins goblins at all!  Make up a cool decription of something else, or at least flavor them differently.

"A tribe of small dusty skinned creatures emerge from atop the badlands.  Their skin looks dried and scaley, giving them the appearance of wind beaten rock.  Their beady black eyes peer out at you hidden behind bone armor arranged to make them appear as skeletons.  Their trappings seemingly more ceremonial than practical.  Two creatures have odd fins attacked to their legs."

You could easily call the race Sandlings and give historic details similar to the goblin race, but time in the sun blasted wastes of Athas have changed them.  These are the poor surviving species of a once far more numerous race.

That all being said, I always hate retconning history of the books.  Normally I'd say, "Hey, its a new D&D.  Why exclude something?  Goblins are fun!"
However in this case Dark Sun has taken the 1st step and its a big one:  No Divine Classes!  If we can overlook that as world flavor so to can we abide by the races Champions erradiation of several races.
Show

An alternative take is that some mad wizard out there is toying with the decesed races... Plot Hooks!  Wooohoooo!

This...

DanTracker, keep in mind halflings are cannibalistic towards other sentient races. They really should be feared. PCs with a thri-kreen in their party, and especially with a halfling, should really be looking over their shoulder. That doesn't mean PC-vs-PC, just RPing the reaction. Halfling raiders can work - if they are hungry enough then they will be desperate and their feral side and yet wise side can be the shiftyness of goblins. Any race has good and evil, to some extent.

...is what I'll be doing as well. Mostly for shock value :P
This...

...is what I'll be doing as well. Mostly for shock value :P

Again, I would strongly encourage you NOT to do this. All will be revealed in time.
Oh oh oh!  Fun stuffs!  Now I have to use regular goblins.   I'm trusting you!!!
Sign In to post comments