Bradaman's Weapon & Divine Challenge

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've been wondering about what happens if I use Bradaman's Weapon to Divine Challenge two creatures.

The relevant bit of Bradaman's Weapon:
Power (Encounter * Weapon): Minor. Until the end of the encounter, your divine challenge power targets two creatures in the burst instead of one.

The relevant bit of Divine Challenge:
On your turn, you must engage the target you challenged or challenge a different target. To engage the target, you must either attack it or end your turn adjacent to it. If none of these events occur by the end of your turn, the marked condition ends and you can’t use divine challenge on your next turn.

1. After using the encounter power of Bradaman's, can I choose to target one or two creatures every time I use it, or must I always target two creatures?

I think I do get to choose, but I wanted to get other opinions on this one -- I'm not sure where to point to to back this opinion up.

2. Presuming I don't wish to challenge a different creature, am I required to engage both of them to prevent my challenge from becoming unusable on the next round, or is engaging only one sufficient?

I could see this either way. The Divine Challenge must be mentally re-phrased to grammatically apply to any situation wherein multiple targets are challenged, and depending on how it's re-phrased, it could produce different outcomes. For example, if "target" is simply changed to plural, e.g. "On your turn, you must engage the targets you challenged or challenge different targets," then it seems to indicate I must engage both, which may be supremely difficult, especially if they move apart from each other.

On the other hand, if it's rephrased to be either-or, e.g. "On your turn, you must engage one of the targets you challenged or challenge a different target," then engaging only one is sufficient.

Also this phrasing: "If none of these events occur by the end of your turn," seems to me to suggest the latter. If I have engaged one target, then "none of these events occur" is not true, therefore the end of the sentence, "you can’t use divine challenge on your next turn," does not become true.

(I think it's reasonably fair to say that if I only engage one, the challenge on the other one 'falls off', so to speak, at least.)
The world is a mess, I just need to... rule it.
I would assume that if you fail to engage a give target, the mark ends on that target.  However, if you engage one of them, the "none of these events occured" clause should not be triggered, so you should be able to use it again.

Alternatively, the weapon is just lousy becuase the creator didn't really think about the fact that you have to actively engage the target of Divine Challenge.
Heroes Don't Need Special Gear to Be Heroic - A guide to removing magic item dependency and smoothing out advancement. Reinventing the Workday: A Shift Towards Encounter-Based Resources - A guide to abandoning daily resources
its actually a very solid but odd to use ability and you need to look at it in micro steps....

say it like this ....

round 1 , minor - power , move - engage , standard - attack
round 2 , minor - DC adjacent target "A" and non-adjacent target "B", standard - hit A , move - to B
round 2 , minor - LoH , standard - hit B , move - to A

now if for some reason you fail to hit or engage target A ...
then target A is no longer DC'd , but target B still is
on the following round you CANNOT use DC , however , target B is still DC'd
next roound refresh DC on targets A and B

yes target A 2 rounds of you not having him marked

remember that to maintain it you only need to smack it OR move adjacent to it.

many paladins use this with at wills that mark or DS target A , then move adjacent to and DC target B
Sign In to post comments