Dragon 388 - FR Channel Divinity: Tymora

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
DnDi_Large.png FR  Dragon 388
Channel Divinity: Tymora
Tymora's Luck

By Erik Scott de Bie and Matthew Sernett

In today's Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting Channel Divinity article, we look at a history of the deity, a bit of description of her priesthood, and adventures and their relationship with Tymora, made most explicit with a couple of backgrounds.  These are followed by four heroic feats, one feat that may be epic or may be paragon (the article's final printing has an error in it), and two magic items – Tools of the Bright Lady herself.

Tymorans are born with a love of testing their luck (some call it a death wish). They take ridiculous risks, which they see as an opportunity to prove their love and trust in the goddess. This is not to suggest that they are foolish or suicidal, only that given the choice between a practical, tried-and-true solution and a glorious charge with a much slimmer margin for error, the choice is obvious.

Talk about this article here.
388-cd-tymora.jpg

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

I think there are a few issues with this article. None of the heroic tier feats have any requirements, which while that may have been intended certainly doesn't seem in line with the other CD feats. And the paragon tier feat has the requirement of being level 21, so either the requirement is wrong or it's supposed to be an epic feat. Do you guys have anyone proof reading the articles?
I had such high hopes for this article, but when I saw it I was extremely disappointed.  Mechanically, this article is very poorly written, and nothing but the fluff pertains just to worshippers of Tymora.

This article needs some significant changes.
Gamma World Origins Half-Sheets: Horizontal (FiFG) Vertical (GW) FiFG coming soon
I had such high hopes for this article, but when I saw it I was extremely disappointed.  Mechanically, this article is very poorly written, and nothing but the fluff pertains just to worshippers of Tymora.

What other type of fluff did you except to see? It is an article about a luck goddess and anyone praying to her.  And what type of ‘significant’ changes needs to be made?  For example, one change I would like to see concerns the feat called Beshaba’s Boon.  The name should be “Tymora’s Boon”  This is an Channel Divinity article about Tymora and her worshippers.  I think it is odd to have a feat named after her nemesis in the article.  Especially if can be selected by any of Tymora’s followers.  

Remember, no matter where ever you go, there you are. --Shaundakul
Well I for one enjoyed the article. Had lots of Realmslore fluff in it. I would like to see alot more of that. If writers are limited by wordcount, then I would like to see alot more lore and less game mechanics. More fluff please.
I survived Section 4 and all I got was this lousy sig Off-topic and going downhill from there
The page headers all refer to Channel Divinity: Kord's Fury.

What other type of fluff did you except to see? It is an article about a luck goddess and anyone praying to her.  And what type of ‘significant’ changes needs to be made?  For example, one change I would like to see concerns the feat called Beshaba’s Boon.  The name should be “Tymora’s Boon”  This is an Channel Divinity article about Tymora and her worshippers.  I think it is odd to have a feat named after her nemesis in the article.  Especially if can be selected by any of Tymora’s followers.  

It would be nice if the feats were restricted to worshippers of Tymora. Or had any requirements at all. Or if there were some neat Tymora class-restricted feats. Compared to most of the other Channel Divinity articles, this one is seriously lacking.

Gamma World Origins Half-Sheets: Horizontal (FiFG) Vertical (GW) FiFG coming soon
It would be nice if the feats were restricted to worshippers of Tymora. Or had any requirements at all. Or if there were some neat Tymora class-restricted feats. Compared to most of the other Channel Divinity articles, this one is seriously lacking.

I almost felt that was part of the point - Tymora, as a luck goddess, is regularly called upon by many in their time of need, whether they worship her directly or not. Her boon is available for the asking, without the commitment of full devotion found with most gods.

Why does this stuff need to be specific to a niche god in a non core setting? Seems a little too limiting if you ask me. I'd much rather have general mechanics that are related to the god's domains.

The Holy Symbol's ability should be NO Action rather then free action.
A couple notes from the author:

1) If you haven't already, you should redownload the article, as there were a couple fixes that got made yesterday (such as the headers).

2) This article is mostly about Tymora, but you can't discuss Tymora without discussing her dark twin, Beshaba. Also, a significant paragraph of the article discusses a heresy whereby worshippers follow the force of luck, rather than Tymora specifically--they believe all luck deities are one and the same.

3) The point of the feats is specified in the first paragraph in the section: They aren't specifically Tymoran feats, but rather appropriate to servants of any luck deity, or any PC who wants to add a shade of luck to his/her adventures. "Beshaba's Boon" is about taking advantage of someone else's bad luck, while "Tymora's Smile" is about getting a benefit out of your good luck--flavor-wise, they represent being of particular interest to either/both of those Ladies Luck. The feats are similar in this respect to the luck feats in the 3.5 Complete Scoundrel.

4) On prereqs: Quite along the lines of what DrNick is saying, one of the criticisms the Channel Divinity series has received in the past is that the feats are *too restricted*, for instance, for players using Character Builder in campaigns that don't have a particular deity (such as Torm, Tymora, etc). In this case, I decided to err on the side of making them open to a large number of adventurers--that way, at least you can select them in the character builder without the hassle of them showing up as house-ruled.

If you're playing a strict Realms campaign and you want to restrict them to followers of a luck deity, divine characters of a luck deity, or specifically priests of Tymora, that's up to you.

I'm sorry the article didn't work better for you, battles14. I would be happy if you wanted to offer me specific feedback on the fluff.

Cheers
ESdB -

Thanks for commenting on the thread. It's good to see some of the motivations behind the article.

1) I never had a problem with the fluff.  I think my previous post got misinterpreted.  In fact, I think the fluff is great.

2) My initial problem was that none of the mechanics were restricted to worshippers of Tymora. I completely understand your rationale, and I don't disagree with your approach, but it would have been nice to also see a few things specifically reserved for "true believers." Particularly becuase the other articles have taken that approach. And particularly because my Tymora-worshipping Swordmage wanted something shiny just for himself (I mean, you could just add a swordmage feat for the compiled version... Wink)

3) Other than some of the more basic feats from the PHB series, I'm wary of character options that are open to everyone, because they run the risk of being so useful that everyone takes them, removing the PC individuality that (I believe) is inherent in 4e design. We've seen this with some of the skill powers—in my LFR group, most characters have either Mighty Sprint or Nature Sense, and it's starting to make the characters a little blah. I don't think any of the feats in your article run this risk, but it's just a philosophical thing.
Oh I completely understand your perspective. Keeping the feats open just kinda fits better with the way the character builder works, and with the design philosophy of 4e.

If I'd had more space to play around with building feats, then I certainly would have made some that are a little more specific. As it is, what I did was toss out stuff you can give to your, say, elf cleric of Erevan Ilesere, and rightly say they're luck oriented--or to your swashbuckler who has no religious background to speak of, but always seems to get out of a scrape on his natural luck.

As I said, if you want to limit them in your own game, feel absolutely free! In my campaigns, players often need to justify what feats they're going to take--i.e., "how did your character get the training for that feat, exactly?"

Cheers

Just a quick Mechanical question regarding this article and Beshaba's Boon...

The text says:
Heroic Tier
Benefit: Each time an enemy fails a saving throw against an effect you imposed, you gain 5 temporary hit points.

It sounds like if a wizard casts sleep on 10 minions who all fail the initial save then the wizard would get 50 temporary hit points.  Is this correct or is there another limiting factor I am not seeing? 

The rule for temporary hit points does mention not adding together temp hps from different sources but this would be the same source and from what I can see should add.

Wow, it's been a long time since I posted anything in this thread!

Yeah, temp hit points don't stack, regardless of source (and particularly not from the same source). See Rules Compendium p 258-9.

You always take the larger number of temp hit points. For instance, if you have 5 temp hit points and another effect gives you 7 temp hit points, you now have 7 temp hit points. Conversely, if you have 10 temp hit points and gain 5 temp hit points, you still have 10 temp hit points.

Cheers