LFR CCG 1.99 ... draft copy has been released

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
Skerrit has just posted the draft of the new Character Creation Guide:
community.wizards.com/lfr/blog/?pref_tab...

There is a thread for discussion of the draft guide here:
community.wizards.com/lfr/go/thread/view...

Please post any comments in *that* thread, and not here.
"Of course [Richard] has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives. It's 1183, and we're barbarians!" - Eleanor of Aquitaine, "The Lion in Winter"
PS -- I'm going to ask the board admins to sticky this thread, at least for the time being, so that it will stay at the top of the board here.
"Of course [Richard] has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives. It's 1183, and we're barbarians!" - Eleanor of Aquitaine, "The Lion in Winter"

The finished CCG v.1.99 has been released:

community.wizards.com/lfr/blog/2010/06/1...!

I have a question about the rules for creating high level characters.

At the moment I have a 10th level fighter, but no paragon level characters. I'm tempted to stat out an 11th level invoker, just because I can. I presume that would be completely legal.

Suppose I put this invoker in my folder with my other characters, and continue playing the fighter. In six months time my fighter is 14th level, and I find myself playing at a table in a convention where there are 4 defenders on the table. Could I legally then pull out my invoker and offer to play that character instead, in order to balance the table? It feels a bit odd to me. What if the DM then turns around to me and says "You already have a 14th level character, you are not allowed to generate a character at 11th". What could I do? Would my character still be legal? Would it come down to a trust issue?
I have a question about the rules for creating high level characters.

At the moment I have a 10th level fighter, but no paragon level characters. I'm tempted to stat out an 11th level invoker, just because I can. I presume that would be completely legal.

Suppose I put this invoker in my folder with my other characters, and continue playing the fighter. In six months time my fighter is 14th level, and I find myself playing at a table in a convention where there are 4 defenders on the table. Could I legally then pull out my invoker and offer to play that character instead, in order to balance the table? It feels a bit odd to me. What if the DM then turns around to me and says "You already have a 14th level character, you are not allowed to generate a character at 11th". What could I do? Would my character still be legal? Would it come down to a trust issue?

The rules limiting the number of higher level PCs you could create were removed from the final draft, so your example would be certainly legal regardless of whether you made your Invoker now or at your hypothetical table.
What are the rules for buying mundane items for starting characters at higher level?  The DMG says you can take any mundane items for free but in LFR are you supposed to buy all your mundane gear with your starting gold?
I'm tempted to start out an 11th level invoker, just because I can.

Note that "just because I can" is not in the spirit of the CCG 1.99.  

Dan Anderson @EpicUthrac
Total Confusion www.totalcon.com
LFR Calimshan Writing Director
LFR Epic Writing Director

LFR Myth Drannor Writing Director

What are the rules for buying mundane items for starting characters at higher level?  The DMG says you can take any mundane items for free but in LFR are you supposed to buy all your mundane gear with your starting gold?

That is the intent.
That is the intent.

Then the CCG probably shouldn't tell you to follow the rules found on page 143 of the DMG, since those rules include allowing you to take any mundane equipment you want for free, and then spending your starting gold on rituals, potions and magic items.
Ya, that's my fault. I honestly didn't even think about it till it was just brought up. In a home campaign, the DM would be able to keep you reasonable. We don't have that option in this case. Technically the DMG rules could allow you to take 50 billion normal longswords for free, which you then might try to trade for favors or whatever during adventures. Or you could concievably buy 100 quadrillion galleons of lamp oil, which you use to set the world on fire in your first adventure killing the entire world (except for creatures with fire resistance).

I will have to talk this over with the other Globals and decide how we want to handle this. I'm actually fine with people taking whatever mundane gear they wish for free, but if I was DMing I would probably take away their fleet of mundane sailing ships filled with longswords and lamp oil.
I will have to talk this over with the other Globals and decide how we want to handle this. I'm actually fine with people taking whatever mundane gear they wish for free, but if I was DMing I would probably take away their fleet of mundane sailing ships filled with longswords and lamp oil.

Considering that mundane equipment includes mounts, I think we're better off making people buy their mundane gear.  Perhaps add an extra 100 gp to the starting gold, to account for the change.

It's not too late for a version 1.99a, to make any minor changes you've only noticed after the initial release, and still get a final version out in time for June 22nd.

Plus, that'd give me a few more days to try to convince you to add "You may not create a new character above 11th level.  Because of the complexity of higher-level characters, 11th level is the highest starting point allowed for new characters, and is it not planned that this starting point will be increased in the future." at the end of the high-level character creation section.
So if I read this correctly, Cannith Goggles are still technically legal, because it is neither a playtest class, nor is it updated in the Dragon Annual. Tongue out

I think it's an improvement that the CCG recommends against higher level characters for novice players. I don't think it's an improvement that starting at higher level lets you pick your items from any player resource. I'm glad to hear the printed adventure log is a sample, this prevents people from arguing about that. It's funny that the document needs a specific clause against Rust Monster abuse.

I still feel the document as a whole is too verbose.

But, wait... I was all ready to buy my infinite oregano. And maybe load it into infinite 10,000g sailing ships, since those are mundane. ;)
Keith Richmond Living Forgotten Realms Epic Writing Director
I'm tempted to start out an 11th level invoker, just because I can.

Note that "just because I can" is not in the spirit of the CCG 1.99.  

Well I presume you imagine that the spirit of the rules is that these characters are made at the moment they're needed in order for a game to take place. However, not everyone is confident enough to stat out a decent 11th level character at 10 minutes notice, and some people like to be prepared.

I don't really see anything wrong in creating a character in advance just on the off-chance it will be useful, although I'd personally much prefer to play the characters I've started at first - you do get emotionally attached to them after a while Smile
But, wait... I was all ready to buy my infinite oregano. And maybe load it into infinite 10,000g sailing ships, since those are mundane. ;)

"Infinite oregano." Is that anything like an infinite bag o'rats?

"Infinite oregano." Is that anything like an infinite bag o'rats?

It's a reference to this article: www.wired.com/culture/lifestyle/commenta...

Sadly, I know and have gamed with people who would make comments like the ones found there.

If the rules allow it there is nothing wrong with making a bunch of level 5 8 11 characters and having them around "just in case"
Blah blah blah
Off-topic: I love that article. I had not read it in a while, then needed to point to it within hours, as I knew I would.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

Off-topic: I love that article. I had not read it in a while, then needed to point to it within hours, as I knew I would.

Yeah, I reposted it on Facebook just like I did last time it came up, to great response.

Great link, thanks Potmos. 
Caffeine...
Is 1.99 still the current version?

If I go to the official WOTC page, they link 1.95 and show that as the most recent version which I'm pretty sure is wrong...

Thanks!
Is 1.99 still the current version?

If I go to the official WOTC page, they link 1.95 and show that as the most recent version which I'm pretty sure is wrong...

No; version 2.0 has been out since January.  You can download it from livingforgottenrealms.com, which is where the campaign staff has been placing all relevant campaign files (including many of the adventure files).

This is another good reason to go over to the Official LFR Community here on the Wizards.community boards; information there is kept up to date.  The WotC page itself doesn't seem to be getting updated regularly.  For that matter, this forum, itself, is a "legacy" forum from before WotC restructured the boards last year -- it receives very little traffic now (all the traffic is on the LFR Community forums), and isn't regularly viewed by the campaign staff (the campaign staff are the moderators of those forums)
Sign In to post comments