RPGA Reporting: Is It Still Absolutely Necessary?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hi,

Personally, I report every single game I DM.  However, I’m wondering is it still necessary to report if the DM doesn’t care about DM rewards?  The system doesn’t track character progress anymore and the admins are even proposing starting a character at higher level…  So, does the DM absolutely need to report their games if they don’t care about DM rewards?

Thanks

We could still use the answers to the questions.
If you want to keep having free adventures to run, it's a good idea.

If WotC sees fewer reported games, they can only conclude that people are not playing as much LFR as they were.  LFR, and the RPGA, are a marketing expense for WotC; if WotC decides that that expenditure is no longer worth it, they'll cut it.

So, every time you report a game, you're letting WotC know that you're playing LFR, and making use of the materials they've spent money upon.
"Of course [Richard] has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives. It's 1183, and we're barbarians!" - Eleanor of Aquitaine, "The Lion in Winter"
yeah we should report them.

If they hadn't stopped the good rewards (and the link to number of games run) or they actually had a reporting system that was easy/quick to use I'd be much more inclined to do so.

We could still use the answers to the questions.

One of our local convention coordinators uses the automatic reporting system.  He says that the program does not allow him to report the answers to the questions.  Can you confirm whether it is true, and if so when it will be fixed to allow question reporting?  He refuses to use the standard reporting form on the website.

One of our local convention coordinators uses the automatic reporting system.  He says that the program does not allow him to report the answers to the questions.  Can you confirm whether it is true, and if so when it will be fixed to allow question reporting?  He refuses to use the standard reporting form on the website.

My understanding is that this is accurate...you can now use the Wizards Event Reporter tool (originally developed for Magic) to report events, but, alas, it doesn't allow you to answer the adventure questions as part of the report.  I have no idea if or when that'll be added.
"Of course [Richard] has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives. It's 1183, and we're barbarians!" - Eleanor of Aquitaine, "The Lion in Winter"
If WotC sees fewer reported games, they can only conclude that people are not playing as much LFR as they were. LFR, and the RPGA, are a marketing expense for WotC; if WotC decides that that expenditure is no longer worth it, they'll cut it.

That is definitely not the only thing that they can conclude. They can conclude that they removed the only incentive to use an outdated, unnecessary and hard-to-use system, and that their players have chosen the path of least resistance, as humans are wont to do.
If WotC sees fewer reported games, they can only conclude that people are not playing as much LFR as they were. LFR, and the RPGA, are a marketing expense for WotC; if WotC decides that that expenditure is no longer worth it, they'll cut it.

That is definitely not the only thing that they can conclude. They can conclude that they removed the only incentive to use an outdated, unnecessary and hard-to-use system, and that their players have chosen the path of least resistance, as humans are wont to do.

Sure. But anyone coming to that conclusion is likely to be faced with this conversation:

Q: Can we correct that without spending any more money or taking people off other projects?
A: No
Q: So can we get play statistics in any other way?
Q: So the best play statistics you can give us are flawed?
A: Yes
Questioner: OK. We'll use those statistics, then, since they're all we've got.

If people decide that measuring something is important, the only thing they can do is base their decisions on the measurement gathered. They may know that the measurement is flawed, and that therefore some of their conclusions are flawed, but that's almost an irrelevance: they need to base decisions on 'x', they have a number for 'x', so the decisions can be made, and justified. 

In short? Please report your games. At the moment, it's best to use the online system as you can then send in adventure questions - and for a small event it's not really that time-consuming. It's not the best system in the world, but it works, and it's a small price to pay for free adventures! If you have a large event which you think would be a nightmare to report online, use the Wizards Event Reporter which works very well*, and lets you keep a local database of players so you don't have to enter RPGA numbers over and over again. I think I'd be tempted to collate the adventure question answers and email them to the various regional WDs/PoCs if you can, unless they tell you not to, so at least that data's getting to them.

You can even use WER to sanction WPN/Public Play RPGA games (though not private play)

* WER doesn't currently work for Private Play at all, I don't think - but then with one or two tables, I honestly don't see the problems people are reporting with the online system, which takes probably 2 minutes per table.  

Running D&D Adventurers League events in Sheffield, UK from August. Contact me for more details.

Q: Can we correct that without spending any more money or taking people off other projects?
Q: So can we get play statistics in any other way?
Q: So the best play statistics you can give us are flawed?
A: Yes
Questioner: OK. We'll use those statistics, then, since they're all we've got. 

Exactly so, pedr.  I have clients who do this all the time.  Even if they recognize that the data are flawed, they'd rather make a data-driven decision than make a decision using no data at all.
You're missing (or only implying) the bit where the Q-organisation (in)conveniently forgets that the numbers are only a (unknown) fraction fraction of the total and makes decisions based on the assumption thaqt they are total figures  (and/or totally fails to grasp that the error bars are all upwards).
I know someone personally who ordered adventures form the database but didn't report the results for quite sometime now.

He got a letter in his mail by Hasbro/WotC that since he didn't report his WPN/RPGA/DCI account has been cancelled.
Sign In to post comments