Apps for the Android

40 posts / 0 new
Last post
I just got myself an Android, and I made my first app for the android. Here's a little video of my die roller: www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1-b5xq64kE. I'm going to make an Initiative/HP tracker too. Before I make anything more complex than that, I want to know something.

How many of you have an android, and would be interested in more apps like this?

Small things like this die roller or an initiative tracker would be fully free, but a more complex app, like an encounter manager, would probably be pay or ad-supported. It would depend on how long it took to make.
Android user here.

Personally I do not have much use for dice rllers but I am always on the lookout for other apps.

Good Luck! 

Play whatever the **** you want. Never Point a loaded party at a plot you are not willing to shoot. Arcane Rhetoric. My Blog.

Im an Android user (Rooted Moto Droid) but im not sure what kind of App you could make that I would want to run on my phone for gaming.  Pretty much I have a laptop for Masterplan and use an iPad for pulling up online characters.  I love the fact that you develop though.

If you have time make an app that deletes everything in my deleted mail folder.  I would pay for that.  lol...

I'd love to see some apps for Android.  (Nexus One user)

Particularly a Compendium app, and Dungeon and Dragon Magazine viewers (reading them on the browser is painful).

I know it's a lot to ask, but a character sheet viewer would be awesome as well.

I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
Android G1"Dream" 2.1 User here.
I really should begin to develop too!

Im an Android user (Rooted Moto Droid) but im not sure what kind of App you could make that I would want to run on my phone for gaming.  Pretty much I have a laptop for Masterplan and use an iPad for pulling up online characters.  I love the fact that you develop though.

Pretty much that, I'd be willing to donate time on the side. I've made some android apps for other pen and paper games I play. (Have you tried keeping track of all your combat modifiers in L5R? >.>) But my concern would just be finding something to make that's really value added over what already exists.

Kudos, man, I'm also planning on picking up Java in order to start working on Android apps as well.

I'd be interested in your app Pizzini, let me know when it becomes available.
I'd love to see some apps for Android.  (Nexus One user)

Particularly a Compendium app, and Dungeon and Dragon Magazine viewers (reading them on the browser is painful).

I know it's a lot to ask, but a character sheet viewer would be awesome as well.

There's actually one Compendium app out there right now, "Sylloge D&D Compendium Search". It's $0.99, and it's a bit primitive (no sortation of the results, only shows the Name on the result screen, etc) but if you know exactly what you're looking for, it does the job.
EnWorld.org has a page dedicated to iPod/iPhone & Android apps for roleplaying.
At the bottom is the list for Andriod.

www.enworld.org/forum/news/274552-iphone...
I got an Android phone a little over a month ago and thought, hey there's no dnd apps so I made these:

www.kerpow.net/kmonster - view monsters out of the compendium
www.kerpow.net/ksheet - character sheet app
big fan of the kerpow products in the driod world! good job, and keep on updates! great job.
Hey guys, I just published an app on the Market called Power Organizer.  I noticed that all my power cards got a bit unweildy and took up too much table space, so I wrote up this app to help out with that.  The premise is you input the powers you have, take a photo of your power card (or just the power's description from your PHB) and then you don't have to have them out on the table while you play.  The app also keeps track of which powers you've used, and you can choose to hide your used powers to keep your list uncluttered.

The app supports multiple characters.

Here's a QR code to download it, or just search for "Power Organizer" on the market.  Please try it out and give me some feedback, I really want to make this app as useful and intuitive as possible!

QR code for Power Organizer
Hey guys, I just published an app on the Market called Power Organizer.  I noticed that all my power cards got a bit unweildy and took up too much table space, so I wrote up this app to help out with that.  The premise is you input the powers you have, take a photo of your power card (or just the power's description from your PHB) and then you don't have to have them out on the table while you play.  The app also keeps track of which powers you've used, and you can choose to hide your used powers to keep your list uncluttered.

Here's a QR code to download it, or just search for "Power Organizer" on the market.  Please try it out and give me some feedback, I really want to make this app as useful and intuitive as possible!

I'm not having any luck finding this, but it sounds cool.

I'm not having any luck finding this, but it sounds cool.

That's strange that you can't find the app on the Market.  You can install it manually via this link: Power Organizer
Awesome, thanks.  Now to just figure out how to install ("For security, your phone is set to block installation of applications not sourced in Android Market.")
Awesome, thanks.  Now to just figure out how to install ("For security, your phone is set to block installation of applications not sourced in Android Market.")

Just go to Settings -> Applications, and check 'Unknown sources' to enable your phone to install Android apps manually.
Just go to Settings -> Applications, and check 'Unknown sources' to enable your phone to install Android apps manually.

That doesn't seem to be an option... if it changes anything I have an Xperia X10 running Android 2.1.  Just got the phone yesterday, hence why I'm unfamiliar with all the options.

That doesn't seem to be an option... if it changes anything I have an Xperia X10 running Android 2.1.  Just got the phone yesterday, hence why I'm unfamiliar with all the options.

If you got your phone from AT&T, that carrier restricts their customers from installing applications onto their Android phones manually.  Unfortunately, your only option is to try searching the Android Market again for "Power Organizer".
I guess I'll keep looking from time to time and hope it shows up eventually, because it sounds useful.
Since the character builder is online now, i guess it's not possible to port over the file like Kerpow said. Is there any way to have a character sheet app with powers that maybe you can fill in and save onto your phone?
Since the character builder is online now, i guess it's not possible to port over the file like Kerpow said. Is there any way to have a character sheet app with powers that maybe you can fill in and save onto your phone?

There is an unoficial way to export a character using an undocumented/development way, and supposedly there will be an export feature to the wCB that will alllow this.

I got an Android phone a little over a month ago and thought, hey there's no dnd apps so I made these:

Also a big fan of the kmonster app (even to the point of donation), its that good.

If possible to work an itens app as well, would be great (and would also support it too).

Suggest you add those links to your signature.

I've been messing around with Power Organizer for a few days now and I really like it. I posted a comment in the market about what I'd like to see in the app (sorting hierarchies). Keep up the good work.

I've also used Ksheet and I thought it was done very well.

The main feature I would like to see out of any program like these would be collapsible, sortable power menus for powers. I would love to have all my powers sorted into groups of 'attack and utility', then under those have sub-groups of 'standard, move, minor, immediate, opportunity and free', then within those have sub-sub-groups for 'at-will, encounter, daily, recharge and special'; to have the ability to expand and collapse any group or subgroup withing the entire menu, and to change the overall sorting hierarchy and individual subgroup content sorting to 'level, alphabetical, etc.'. That would just be perfection in my eyes. Makes me wish I could program.

There is an unoficial way to export a character using an undocumented/development way, and supposedly there will be an export feature to the wCB that will alllow this.

You can get a dnd4e file from that unofficial page, but it is not compatible with KSheet. The file is different in a number of significant ways... The online builder will import old-style (offline character builder) files but will not export to the older file format. Kerpow is working on updating KSheet to support the new format, but that might take a while, and also if Wizards keeps changing the format, it could be a wild goose chase. Kerpow might be waiting for Wizards to settle on an Export format. What would be even better is if Wizards would create an API for apps to directly access online characters.

Kerpow! I use those both of those apps on my android and they are very helpful! so..thanks!
Kerpow might be waiting for Wizards to settle on an Export format.

Which will come, hopefully in 12/21.

I was reading about the upcoming updates to the CB and they are going to put an "export" button down with the import button so you can export your character to your computer. Then you should be able to import that into the KSheet app just like with the other character files you have from the old CB.

On another note, I absolutely love the KSheet app.  So easy to use and very user friendly.  There are some things about it that I would love added..... But I can't seem to remember them because we haven't played in a couple weeks   But still a great app!!  Thank you for creating it
I was reading about the upcoming updates to the CB and they are going to put an "export" button down with the import button so you can export your character to your computer. Then you should be able to import that into the KSheet app just like with the other character files you have from the old CB.

On another note, I absolutely love the KSheet app.  So easy to use and very user friendly.  There are some things about it that I would love added..... But I can't seem to remember them because we haven't played in a couple weeks   But still a great app!!  Thank you for creating it

Just tried importing from dnd4e files exported from OCB to KSheet:

- CBC files imported to OCB and exported back
 - classic PCs created with OCB (Forgotten Realms theme)
 - Essentials PCs created with OCB

It all seem to work fine, at least as good as with the CBC; found a couple of bug, most of which were already there (confirmed from loading an older CBC file):

- cant process Feat powers

- has some "P"s in front of Perception and Insight labels.

- an Essentials PC had a language option missing, and the app just froze while parsing the character     sheet; after adding the optional language in the OCB, the import went fine. 

There are a couple of requests i would like to make, one in particular: allow ordering powers by types, not only alphabetically.

To the author, i would recommend creating a thread in this forum for its own set of apps.
I'm planning on making a character manager program.  I'd like some help in developing it.  e-mail me at 'borg286'  then the 'at' symbol then gmail  then a dot and then com (just to try and fool those e-mail searching bots).
Some features I have envisioned are the following:

Compendium search
--From anywhere you can hit the search button and search the compendium
--You can put items in the workbench for later use

Shop
--You can set a min/max level of items you want
--You can put items in the workbench for later use(feat/power/item selection)
--When selecting armor a dialogue pops up letting you check armor types for filtering
--When selecting weapons a dialogue pops up letting you check weapon types for filtering 
--There's the obvious search field so you can find items quickly.
--Your PC has gold, so you can purchase things

Build
--You can choose your class from a dropdown and the description is pulled in so you can select text from it and import it into a power card.  I've always wanted warlord AP benefits to be on a power card.  You can also select PP and ED.
--You can set the attributes, points allocated, and 4th, 8th, 14th... level attribute boosts and level so your attributes(and bonuses) can be correctly calculated
--You can set item slots, and pull things from the workbench, and see powers of items
--You can reorder and add in feats, as well as pull feats from the workbench.  Each element(feat, item, power, class....) will have a unique ID so a list of pair that's created for one's list of feats.  The user will be able to change the text of the feat so it matches what they want.  if they want to reset the text, they will have to remove the feat, then re-add it so the String is refreshed with the original content.  
--You can select powers just like in CB.
--You can level up (+1 to your level, not have the program request the next power, or "you qualify for another feat, please select one")

Play
--this is the main feature of the program
--The user has pages he creates.  Each page consists of either 4x4 slots for large phones(evo, Droid X), or 3x3 for smaller screens(hero).  These slots can be taken up by widgets, just like in android.  This way the player can customize his screen to his needs.  Here are some widgets I thought would be helpful

• Init(1x1).  It has a button ("Init") and below it is his bonus.  When the user presses the button a rand(1,20) is added to his bonus and the result is shown below his bonus with a line seperating the 2.  This number is reset when a new encounter(in the menu) is done

• HP, healing surges(1x1).  The HP button looks like a fraction and goes red when bloodied.  When the HP button is pushed a context menu lets the user add a healing surge value and thus spend a healing surge, subtract an arbitrary amount, or whatever.  Below the button is "Surges:" with some Bullets indicating how many surges he has left.

• Dice Widget(1x1).  The user can select 2 dice{d20, d12...) that he can roll.  Each widget has a non-editable textbox that keeps the non-d20 rolls totaled up.  Whenever the d20 is rolled this total is reset.  Whenever a power is used, if there is an attack a dot hovers above all d20's available.  If damage is needed dots hover above all needed dice.  I don't know where the static modifiers are going to be shown.  This widget lets the player only see the dice he'll actually use, instead of crowding his real-estate with non-needed dice (d4, and d12s for example)

• stat widget(1x1 and 1x2).   Simply shows the stats, or in the case of the 1x2 shows the mods and + 1/2 level values.

• Defenses Widget(1x1). Simply AC, Fort...

• Text field Widget(NxM).  The character object will have on the order of 5 text fields that these text boxes can peer into and edit.  Many times I just want to type in some notes, items I picked up, gold i have, or just make my own custom power with text.  

• List box Widget(NxM).  These lists are like the item list I described above.  There may be a feat list that a character object may have.  This is a list of pairs, which is initially populated with the feat description.  The user may then want to change the text as he sees fit.  He may not want the convoluted text of White Lotus Reposte.  He may want to rearrange or delete some feats.  This unique ID lets us remove the right one.  Other lists he may want to see are his items, rituals, powers, power folders(described later), or whatever

• Selected Power Viewer(2x3).  This widget is an Internet View that simply zooms to the section of HTML where that power is described.  All the powers' HTML (pulled from the compendium) are organized into a page.  The order is defined by the user by folders of powers.  

• Calc Widget(1x1).  This pulls up the default calculator, cause you know sometimes you just need a calculator.

• Action point and Death saves widget(1x1).  This has an "AP" button that shows how many Action points he has left, and upon being pressed, decrements that by 1.  Going through 2 encounters increments that by 1.  Refreshing the day resets that to 1.  There are 3 checkboxes for the death saves, which also reset when a new day is done

• Language, Sight, and Speed widget.  These are kinds of information that some people like to be able to see on their character.  I don't, but I'll support them.  It simply shows the languages, Sight mechanics, and their speed.  no buttons, nothing fancy, just information.

• Skill Widget(1x2 or 1x3).  Each skill has a button with the skill name as its text, and the bonus you have.  When the button is pressed a dialog pops up with a d20 rolled and his bonus added, as well as the skill description for reference.

• Power Point Widget.  Its simply a button that decrements your PP total when pressed

• A menu allows you to go between these activities(Compendium, Shop, Build, Play) as well as let you refresh the encounter stuff(PP, Encounter powers) and daily stuff(Death saves, Daily and encounter stuff, HP, Healing surges...), and create a new page.  

All these widgets can be moved around like icons on the android homepage.
I want to be able to parse a dnd4 file and extract out the necessary information, but this implies that the syncing is only 1 way, and we would have to make a judgement call when a new character sheet is input.
I was thinking of a simple way of calculating the attack bonus would be to first derive it from their power, subtracting off 1/2 level, then adding it back in as they increase in level. 
DPR King Candidates 3.0
How much damage should I shoot for?
You're fired : 1 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .2 KPR Fair Striker : 2 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .4 KPR Highly Optimized : 3 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .6 KPR Nerfbat please : 4 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .8 KPR It's OVER 9000!!!!!: 5 Kills Per 5 Rounds = 1+ KPR
DPR? KPR? KP4R? Bless you
DPR = Damage Per round ~= Chance to hit * damage on a hit KPR = Kills Per Round. 1 Kill = 8*Level+24 damage = DPR/(8*level+24) KPNR = Kills Per N Rounds. How many standards can you kill in N rounds?
Woah.. That is a pretty ambitious project there Borg...

The front end is pretty easy, the back end, nigh nightmarish. You would need to generate and maintain a database of pretty much everything (Might be easy with the compendium API, might not. I haven't looked into it). Then again, given recent legal action by Wizards (against Masterplan), might be treading on some toes.

Probably the best way to do it it have it parse a dnd4 file (though I am not sure how much information is stored here, might have to do compendium lookups for power descriptions...). Then work from there. I would concentrate on the Play section first, and worry about the builder down the track (preferably once you work out a good way to store power and item information).

Actually, it might be easiest if you parse a generated character sheet... That way you have full text that you can use a regular string parse to get all the information you need.

Might be neat to provide a few buttons at the bottom of the screen to swap between displaying information which tends to be used at the same time. For instance, a Skill Challenge screen, which displays the player's skills, languages, mundane equipment, etc. Or an Encounter screen, which displays HPs, Defenses, APs, etc.

Bear in mind I am not an Android developer, just a run of the mill Software Dev...

Laz 
There's a new dice roller in the App Market called Diceshaker D&D. It is by far the best 3D dice roller for Android, with physics and graphics on par with iPod rollers like Machdice. It's the first release, so it doesn't have a whole lot of features just yet; but after an e-mail exchange with the developer, I am very confident that this app is going to be the best D&D dice app ever. As it stands, the app is totally worth the $1.38 price tag, if just for the awesome physics and realistic sounds. Just rolling the dice around can be quite addictive. 

Here's a helpful tip the developer gave me when I asked about a missing feature: if you press the back button, it will freeze the table so you can pick up the phone without accidentally rolling the dice again. Pressing back again will unfreeze the table. In the e-mail, I was also told that upcoming features will include different colors, swiping to different screens where you can have several dice sets loaded, different totals for groups of dice, modifiers, and all the other necessary D&D stuff.

It probably sounds like I work for the dev or something; but I've just been waiting for an awesome 3D dice roller for D&D on Android for so long. Hope you all like it as much as I do! 
I am Gazra. This is my DDI account. Gazra is my forum account. Sometimes I get lazy and post with this account.
Fairly new application to search the DnD Compendium: market.android.com/details?id=com.ryatzi...

No frills, just searches and displays data.
Nice looking character sheet creator/importer for Android 
DnD Buddy

market.android.com/details?id=com.droidy...

i know the android has a spellbook for D&D spells but does anyone know if theres a spellbook for Psionic powers? if not that would be a cool thing to have

New app on the market for keeping track of initiative, hp, healing surges, status effects, etc. during a combat.

market.android.com/details?id=org.vision...

The free version is more of a trial version really as it doesn't save anything, but the paid version is pretty cheap and incredibly useful. 
I know that the lastest DnD is 4th, but I really am not into it.  I'm a huge fan of 2nd edition and somewhat of 3.5.  I've been looking for apps for both, mainly Character Sheet/Viewer for these editions.  It'd be nice to have the compendium for them but not needed, there's just some sort of allure for me in flipping through the books.  However I've used the computer for my character sheets often and would love to see android apps too.  Any chance of someone putting some out, as I unfortunately am totally illiterate when it comes to programming.  Or is this a lost cause?
I tried DnD Buddy but quickly got myself a refund. Just didn't like the UI and it was lacking too many features yet. I am very fond of D&D 4 Android. The developer is quick to respond and has implemented a few ideas I have suggested. I am surprised more people haven't installed this app, as, in my opinion, nothing else quite comes close to it's UI and ability to be customized. I guess my needs are maybe different than other people's, as I do not have an online subscription to the compendium.

You do have to type everything in, but I found this akin to filling out a paper sheet by pencil - it gets you more in tune with your character. And writing things in a way that made sense to me was nice.

market.android.com/details?id=com.thomas...

There are still a few features I wish it had, but I've been able to supplement them with other android apps. I also keep a PDF copy of the character on my android device, as well as a printout in case something weird happens.

Other apps I've found useful are Maple Paint (a vector based drawing app), and Springpad, which is a free syncing note-taking app.

Anyone else have any apps that they've started using for D&D night? The only thing I haven't really gotten into is dice-rollers. It seems like rolling a live dice is more fun, personally. And quicker. Maybe that's just me.
I have not been able to find on the Wizards' site a way to directly download the Magic The Gathering Toolbox app for Android. I own two Android devices that do not have the Google Market. Am I missing something? If anyone has a link for direct download outside of the Google Market, would you be so kind as to post it here?

Thank you,

Abdros
I have not been able to find on the Wizards' site a way to directly download the Magic The Gathering Toolbox app for Android. I own two Android devices that do not have the Google Market. Am I missing something? If anyone has a link for direct download outside of the Google Market, would you be so kind as to post it here?

Thank you,

Abdros

Google Market is no longer. It is now called "Play Store" So if you do a search in there you should be able to find the Apps you are looking for.

Now the App I use links directly with the DDI account and syncs with any character on there. It is an awesome program and cheap.
It is call Ksheet. It costs 1.99

Some features I'd like to see on a e4 app:

• Import characters from DDI with ability cards similar to those that you can print out.

• Initiative Tracker for players and monsters

• Affect/HP tracker for all players/monsters

• Importable Loot Table (I'd be willing to help with the data entry for something like this)

• Importable Monster Table (Still willing to help)

• Random Loot Generation available

• Random Monster Generation available

And last but DEFINATELY not least:

• A networking ability that makes it so that you can have this information display to everyone at your table so they know what's going on.