6/03/2010 TD: "All Over the Place"

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Top Decks, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Simple answer: Tog.
Tog was probably not the absolute 'objectively best' deck in Invasion/Odyssey Standard but it had the twin benefits of being cheap and effective.  Why spend a grand or two on the pinnacle of awesome, when a deck that costs roughly weekend-lawnmowing money can still win often enough to be very competitvely viable?
I was always more of a G/U man, running the Mongrel and Circular Logic.

My problem with tog is that you never really did anything until you cast tog and upheaval at the same time.   I just don't have the patience for control. 
Mythic Conscription—still quite a monster; close on both counts. It is possible the raw numbers that Jund is putting up compared to Mythic is based on the relative costs of the decks (one of them is pretty cheap, one of them is about as expensive as they get).

If I understand correctly, the cost of the cards is influencing the top 8 results a lot more than before. So the conclusion of what is the "best" deck of a given tournament is not accurate to make? Or less accurate?  Waw, great.  More randomness to this game. Tongue out
That's because there is no "best" deck.

Conscription, UW/UWr, and Jund are the 3 to beat.  They all have pretty even match ups against each other, so none are "the best".

The next tier down is most likely RDWs/Boros, Vengevine Naya, Grixis, Polymorph.  

Next tier down is Open the Vaults, Time Sieve, Turbo-Fog, and whatnot.

Twelve tiers further down you have Vamps, still sucking. 
Twelve tiers further down you have Vamps, still sucking. 

I can't help but find this humorous, even with the terrible pun.
The first decklist showcased was Michael Lampert's Naya...

3 x Gideon @ £40
3 x Elspeth @ £35
4 x Baneslayer @ £40
4 x Vengevine @ £30
3 x Ajani @ £10

Total Mythic Cards: £535 (average £31 per card)

4 x Knight @ £15
4 x Hierarch @ £15
7 x Fetchlands @ £11
3 x Day of Judgment @ £9
2 x Manlands @ £5
2 x Dual Lands @ £7
4 x Birds @ £5

Total Rare Cards: £268 (average £10 per card)

4 x Path @ £6
4 x Elf @ £5

Total Uncommons: £44 (average £5 per card)

Total for deck (excluding commons): £847 (about $1,250)

Are you freaking kidding me???
The first decklist showcased was Michael Lampert's Naya...

3 x Gideon @ £40
3 x Elspeth @ £35
4 x Baneslayer @ £40
4 x Vengevine @ £30
3 x Ajani @ £10

Total Mythic Cards: £535 (average £31 per card)

4 x Knight @ £15
4 x Hierarch @ £15
7 x Fetchlands @ £11
3 x Day of Judgment @ £9
2 x Manlands @ £5
2 x Dual Lands @ £7
4 x Birds @ £5

Total Rare Cards: £268 (average £10 per card)

4 x Path @ £6
4 x Elf @ £5

Total Uncommons: £44 (average £5 per card)

Total for deck (excluding commons): £847 (about $1,250)

Are you freaking kidding me???

Those rare and uncommon prices sound a little exaggerated, even for dollar values.  I'd guess more like $900-$1000 total for the deck.

Yes, that's still ridiculous.

Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...
I guess it's a good thing I bought/traded for most of those cards when they were undervalued.

P.S. Highwayman - I ran 3 Manlands (2 Stirring, 1 Raging), so you're estimate is off by several dollars ;P