Supernal Script

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
A thread about this has been bouncing in the errata forum for Plane Above. It was advised that we would not get an answer there, so I'm bringing this here.

With the release of "Plane Above" I expected to see the Supernal Script. Plane Below had the Barazhad  Script, so this was logical. It was a bit dissapointing when it was not part of this book.

Anyway, the question being, will we be seeing the Supernal Script in an upcoming release from WOTC anytime soon?
Does Supernal even have a written form? It is the language of gods and, when spoken, everyone can understand it in their own native tongue. If written down, how would this work unless it magically appears in a language the reader already understands; like a permanent Comprehend Languages enchantment. If it always appears in a language the ready already understands then it, probably, has no natural form so there is no point to a Supernal script.
I was under the impression that the Runes that Runepriests work with are the written form of Supernal.

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

Nah...they're more like the written form of the words of power that malediction invokers use.  Supernal itself probably has a script because only angels, gods, and devas with the proper feats can use it speak with everyone.  Otherwise it's just another language.
Some of the backgrounds in the teifling race book list supernal as an associated language despite lv1 characters not being able to learn it.
The sea looks at the stabillity of the mountian and sighs. The mountian watches the freedom of the sea and cries.
Specific overules generic. Those backgrounds that specifically mention Supernal allow you to learn Supernal at 1st level.... but you can't use it as a God would, though I think that, depending on the DM, it would allow you to speak to any creature with a language (not that good since telepathy is now on two races).

Does Supernal even have a written form? It is the language of gods and, when spoken, everyone can understand it in their own native tongue. If written down, how would this work unless it magically appears in a language the reader already understands; like a permanent Comprehend Languages enchantment. If it always appears in a language the ready already understands then it, probably, has no natural form so there is no point to a Supernal script.

it would allow you to speak to any creature with a language (not that good since telepathy is now on two races).

Supernal only works that way when spoken by deities and angels. All other creatures speaking supernal don't gain this effect. A character learning supernal only has a language that no one else understands (maybe it could be useful to eavesdrop on a deity speaking with her angels, switching the "anyone understands" button off and then thinking the foolish mortals won't understand, but that's a corner case)

Specific overules generic. Those backgrounds that specifically mention Supernal allow you to learn Supernal at 1st level.... but you can't use it as a God would, though I think that, depending on the DM, it would allow you to speak to any creature with a language (not that good since telepathy is now on two races).

Telepathy isn't all that good anyway...great for holding silent conversations, but doesn't give you any more ability to communicate than just speaking whatever languages you know.  
Languages are entirely fluff anyway. If the DM wants you to be able to communicate with a given NPC, he'll make sure the NPC speaks a language one or more of the PCs knows (and most NPCs can be assumed to know Common anyway). If the DM wants to make it impossible for you to communicate with a given NPC, he'll make sure that NPC doesn't know any of the languages the PCs know.

Other than having (for example) the drow villain shouting insults only the eladrin PC can understand*, there's not much point to taking languages (or telepathy) too seriously in-game.

"What did she say? None of us speak Elven, you know!"
"It's not important."
"No, really, what's she saying?"
"She... she's insulting my race, my courage, my fighting abilities, my dress sense and... my sexual prowess."
"Oh... OK, then. Sorry we asked, buddy..."

"My flying carpet is full of elves."

Languages are entirely fluff anyway. If the DM wants you to be able to communicate with a given NPC, he'll make sure the NPC speaks a language one or more of the PCs knows (and most NPCs can be assumed to know Common anyway). If the DM wants to make it impossible for you to communicate with a given NPC, he'll make sure that NPC doesn't know any of the languages the PCs know.

Other than having (for example) the drow villain shouting insults only the eladrin PC can understand*, there's not much point to taking languages (or telepathy) too seriously in-game.

"What did she say? None of us speak Elven, you know!"
"It's not important."
"No, really, what's she saying?"
"She... she's insulting my race, my courage, my fighting abilities, my dress sense and... my sexual prowess."
"Oh... OK, then. Sorry we asked, buddy..."

One possible exception I have thought of is the changeling taking goblin and giant.
The DM may never requier it to advance the plot but with out it your default schtick of infiltrating the bad guys will crash and burn fast.

The sea looks at the stabillity of the mountian and sighs. The mountian watches the freedom of the sea and cries.
In the players handbook page 25, it says supernal is a system of hiroglyphics.  Come on now, there is no way hiroglyphics are going to have a system similar to common or english so the point is moot, get over it.
http://pandamanslair.blogspot.com/
One possible exception I have thought of is the changeling taking goblin and giant.
The DM may never requier it to advance the plot but with out it your default schtick of infiltrating the bad guys will crash and burn fast.

And if the DM wants to not let it work, he'll just put you up against drow or fomorians or any of the many other 'evil' races that don't use either of those two languages. Conversely, if the DM wants to give your changeling the opportunity to do his infiltration thing, he'll make sure to put you up against enemies who do speak whatever languages your changeling has picked. So, again, it's 100% down to DM discretion whether the languages you picked are useful. So this isn't an exception at all.

In the players handbook page 25, it says supernal is a system of hiroglyphics.

I can't help wondering if the pseudo-Egyptian script on some of the tiles from the Dire Tombs set is supposed to be Supernal.

There are LFR adventures that go drastically differently depending on the languages available to the party. And with the recent announcement to concentrate more on the story and fluff of the setting, I expect their number to increase
Yeah, I tend to forget that not every DM custom-builds his own campaigns for his own group of players. I suppose if you take pre-written adventures as your paradigm, then languages are potentially quite important.

No well-written adventure is going to require a specific language for the PCs to succeed, though.

And there's always the Comprehend Languages ritual (or a handy scroll thereof).

No well-written adventure is going to require a specific language for the PCs to succeed, though.

I disagree strongly. Not every adventure needs to be a 100% success for the PCs and having it depend on multiple setting specific factors (like languages) greatly increases the richness of the adventures.

"No matter what we're capable of, we'll get a way to gain 100% success" is anything but well written

I meant "succeed at the adventure or campaign as a whole", not one specific part.

If I discovered the campaign I was playing in was outright unwinnable just because none of us picked the right language at level 1, I'd be strongly inclined to beat the DM unconscious with his own DMG.

"OK, none of us speak Goblin, so we'll have to find another way to get the key from the hobgoblin chieftain." is fine.

"OK, none of us speak Goblin, so we have no way to find out where the ritual is going to take place. The world is now inevitably doomed. Campaign over." is not fine.

"OK, none of us speak Goblin, so we have no way to find out where the ritual is going to take place. The world is now inevitably doomed. Campaign over." is not fine.

Meh. That just forces the party to go find a translator. Maybe there's a skill challenge to get one to work with you. If your DM shuts you down over wanting to try that, *then* you beat them with the DMG.

Sign In to post comments