Rewards Cards and Points to carry into Dark Sun??

8 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hey all,

From the main Encounters anouncement:
"Rewards and Renown Points
As you raid dungeons, you’ll earn Renown Points that you can use to get exclusive rewards, like bonus cards, that will give your character an in-game advantage. (And those will carry over from season to season.) DMs get exclusive game aids you can’t get anywhere else."

Having read the DM info and preparing for the first week, the question of the cards from S1 came up, and there appears to be no answer in the DM info.
So, does anyone know if player can use there cards in S2 that they got from S1, are renown pts carrying over? The Statement seems to imply yes, but i havnt found anything to difinativly say "YES" or "NO"??

??

I took it to mean that the players can choose 1 card (from any season) to use in each session, but the renown points start fresh.  Once a player hits 10 renown points in this season, they could have up to three cards to choose from (the 10 point card from season 1, either the 30 or 50 point card from season 1, and the 10 point card from season 2).
What makes me sad - no more compiled magazines: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/27580349/Dungeon_and_Dragon_Magazine_PDFs&post_num=24#495423645
I took it to mean that the players can choose 1 card (from any season) to use in each session, but the renown points start fresh.  Once a player hits 10 renown points in this season, they could have up to three cards to choose from (the 10 point card from season 1, either the 30 or 50 point card from season 1, and the 10 point card from season 2).

So you're saying that it isn't possible for someone to have all 3 of the season 1 cards?

If so, then one of us misunderstood how the rewarding of cards works.
Links that I find very useful, will be added here. http://community.wizards.com/vinciente/blog/2010/02/24/useful_damp;d_pageslinks
I believe the intention was that players would get either a 50 or 30 point card, but this seems to assume that you would have more players over 50 point than cards and possibly more players over 30 points than the combined total of both, so not everyone would get one.  

In my case I'm going to have more 30 point cards than 30 point players, so one or two (50+) players will get all three.  I think this is fine.  I'd rather give out the double awards to the players who where there for every session, than give out 30 points cards to those who didn't reach 30 points (and no sense keeping them really).   Since players can only choose one each session to use this isn't a big deal.

I'd recommend offering the extra's to the DM's.

Always a GM, never a player (not really but sometimes feels like it).

Hex Grid UserPopcorn InitiativeAndroid UserD&DMapTools

DungeonScape

I thought reward points carry over, too. Is it just the awards?
My understanding is as follows:

Renown Points do NOT carry forward.  Each season is a fresh start.  This I'm positive on.

Rewards Cards DO carry forward.  At a given session you can have any ONE (and only one) card you've earned ready for use at that session.  Once that card is used it goes back into your bag/backpack/binder/whatever and can be re-used again the following session - or you can use a different card, whatever you prefer.

Earning Multiple Cards: I don't have my booklet in front of me, but my impression was that WotC Intends for people who QUALIFY for the 50-point mark to get their choice of a 50 or 30 point card.  This could easily be open to interpretation and Organizer choice, however, based on supply and demand in your local store.

If there were enough cards leftover at the end of the night to give the 50-pointers both cards?  I wouldn't say "no" (though, my DMs will get dibs before the players can go back for seconds). 
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

My understanding is as follows:

Renown Points do NOT carry forward.  Each season is a fresh start.  This I'm positive on.

Rewards Cards DO carry forward.  At a given session you can have any ONE (and only one) card you've earned ready for use at that session.  Once that card is used it goes back into your bag/backpack/binder/whatever and can be re-used again the following session - or you can use a different card, whatever you prefer.

Earning Multiple Cards: I don't have my booklet in front of me, but my impression was that WotC Intends for people who QUALIFY for the 50-point mark to get their choice of a 50 or 30 point card.  This could easily be open to interpretation and Organizer choice, however, based on supply and demand in your local store.

If there were enough cards leftover at the end of the night to give the 50-pointers both cards?  I wouldn't say "no" (though, my DMs will get dibs before the players can go back for seconds). 

Agreed. You can use one per session. At the end of any one season (we just ended season 1, Undermountain), the players may qualify for either the 30 or 50-point card depending on their renown. The 10-point cards are awarded whenever that amount is reached. If there are extras, so be it, but I would also agree with giving them to DMs.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

Sign In to post comments