DM Tools - Season 2 Treasure Cards

29 posts / 0 new
Last post
I made up these treasure cards to use for when I run Season 2 and I figured I'd make them available to everyone else as well.

The .zip file contains a 4 files: 2 .pdfs (Black & White and Colour) and 2 Open Office .odt files (Black & White and Colour).
I supplied the Open Office files in case you wanted to edit anything I've done, or make your own following my 'template'.

All 4 files in one zip
www.4shared.com/file/Y9-91N84/DDE_S2_Ch1...

Black & White PDF
www.4shared.com/document/oTt6_SBl/DDE_S2...

Colour PDF
www.4shared.com/document/QUlj_AFR/DDE_S2...

Note: This is for DM's only - don't spoil this for yourself if you're a player for Season 2.

Let me know if you like the idea of the added items or not and if you're thinking of using them. If there's little interest in them, then I won't bother adding any for the other chapters. (I mostly added them to fill out the page.)

I'm also in the process of making Monster Knowledge Check Cards to hand out to players should they succeed on their knowledge checks. If people seem interested in those too, I'll post them as well when I'm done.

----------------------------------------------
Update: Chapter 2 Treasure Cards can be downloaded here!

www.4shared.com/file/I-fAIw6J/DDE_S2_Ch2...

Colour & Black & White in one file and the Open Office master file supplied as usual for your own editing needs. Enjoy.

Update: Chapter 3 Treasure Cards can be downloaded here!

www.4shared.com/file/qP78RrJv/DDE_S2_Ch3...

PS: I'm also in the process of making Monster Knowledge Check Cards to hand out to players should they succeed on their knowledge checks. If people seem interested in those too, I'll post them as well when I'm done.

Count me as one interested!  I think this is one thing that should always be part of an adventure - the three levels of information to give out based on knowledge checks.

What makes me sad - no more compiled magazines: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/27580349/Dungeon_and_Dragon_Magazine_PDFs&post_num=24#495423645
Don't suppose you could just post individual PDF links, since many of us don't trust ZIP files from people we don't know...

**Not to mention that this is the first post you have made with that account, which incidently was just created. All signs for us to be cautious of downloads you send us to.
Links that I find very useful, will be added here. http://community.wizards.com/vinciente/blog/2010/02/24/useful_damp;d_pageslinks
These are great.  I'm definitely going to utilize them in my game.   The monster knowledge cards sound awesome!  I've been typing up the info in Word and hand out slivers of paper to people.  It's not the most attractive way to go but I don't know how to make cards like the ones you have.
Thanks for these... definitely plan to have them at the table for my first time DMing Encounters.

Founding member of the Star Wars Adventure Writers Guild Organizer of the NorCal Star Wars Gaming League Avatar image by artist Steve Criado of Fandom Comics PST (GMT-8) Evening and Weekend Gamer VTT: Fantasy Grounds

Thanks for adding the alt orb instead of the one provided in the mod...cuz...ya know, when only 1 PC can use an orb and none of their attacks can trigger the daily, it's sort of silly...especially considering they were pre-gens...you figure they'd at least TRY and have things work together.

Not sure if I'll use the one provided though. I'll probably stick with an equivalent exchange lvl<->lvl, since the one you suggested is a level higher.
There weren't that many good options for orbs round those levels if I recall and that one looked like it would be entertaining for a player to use. (Maybe it's just me but from the few LFR games I've played and the first season of DDE, most treasures have seemed either bland or not that useful to the adventure overall (barring the apprentice set). And it almost seemed as if we were getting bottom of the barrel items just so they would see use. : P

I chose the items I did cause they would be fun to use and have benefits in chapter 1 sessions specifically (and presumably the next 2 chapters).

I didn't really worry about matching the item levels as it was only the one item and one level difference. It's not gonna throw the whole game outta whack.
TDN is correct: there are exactly two level 2 orbs. I might look into a staff instead, so that either Barcan or Jarvix can use it. There are several good level 2 staffs that would not change much if anything mechanically (the Aversion Staff is a great example: the user gets a +2 to defenses against creatures who are affected by one of their abilities).

One small concern however, is this:

Show

In Session 1-4, Rolo gives the Mystery of the Hidden Veil to both VA members, but you only have one. 

Wisakedjak - I think you're misreading it though I can see where it could lead to the confusion.
I couldn't find gold listed anywhere for treasure.. I know it's a prescripted series of adventures of survival, but my players saw a gold entry on their tracking sheet and want something filled in there.. ;)

Any advice? I'm thinking of just dribbling out some scraps to give them numbers to count..
I expect its been skipped because, being a survival series in the wastelands with no civilization around, there won't be a chance to spend it.

That said, if you feel like giving out gold for the heck of it, drop 1d10*Players gold each session. 
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

It isn't clear if Dark Sun in 4E will use the same universal coin system. Metal being rare on Athas, some editions had different ideas for some of the coins. Avoiding coins seems fine given the concept of this adventure.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

It isn't clear if Dark Sun in 4E will use the same universal coin system. Metal being rare on Athas, some editions had different ideas for some of the coins. Avoiding coins seems fine given the concept of this adventure.

Actually, yes, it will use the same coinage scale.  However, it is stated as follows where appropriate in some of the material I've seen: "...gives the party 200 gp (in ceramic coins, the currency of Athas)."

Thus, everything will follow the same overall scale, but will likely have the same wording as above.  So, for example, 20 sp (in ceramic bits), or 10 pp (in iron pieces), etc, etc.
Most of us look at 100 gp as an actual numerical count of the actual Gold Pieces a character has/owns...

Wealth is a bit more abstract... The GP values represent a mix of Coins and Valuable Items...

In Athas the 'vaule' remains the same, the materials change...

Remember, most fantasy settings are actually using more of a barter economy then currency...
BTW my tables loved the player handout "healing fruits" from session 1.
I'm second from the left in the picture.

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

PS: I'm also in the process of making Monster Knowledge Check Cards to hand out to players should they succeed on their knowledge checks. If people seem interested in those too, I'll post them as well when I'm done.

count me in to love the idea
Golgol - you can find the link for the Monster Knowledge Check Cards in my other DM Tools thread or in Alphastreams big list in his thread. So far, I have encounters 1-3 covered, just waiting on info from Nick to finish up chapter 1 and put up a finalized document.
Great cards... Printed them out on a medium weight cardstock so they will last.

One of the problems that I do see:

Show

Since both the Sorcerer and the Psion both get the Mystery, it seems to be favoritism to provide an implement that only the Psion can use. Even if you make it a staff, that still makes certain one character gets 2 permanent magic items while several players get none. Although I like the Orb of Unlucky Exchanges (better than the provided Orb whose Daily Power is useless to the characters provided), I think I am going to switch that orb out for one of the other items suggested (probably the Bracers of Resite since is provides any player with the ability to heal himself or another party member for a little damage, given the right circumstances, and healing is obviously one of the things the party can use the most).
Show

Looking over the characters and the treasure rewards for this first chapter, I was a little confused as to why some were chosen - that's partly the reason I included a few extra treasures in the card set.

It sounds like the original orb's abilities were overlooked during selection/editing and it seems a little too likely that the daily on the acidic spear will get wasted. (It's reasonable to assume that, given that it's a daily ability, and dailies tend to get used in desperate situations, that a good selection of players will use it on the BIG baddy in encounter 5 - the one that's immune to its daily.)

Anyway, if you got the download with the open office files you can just make up your own treasure to put in if you don't like my selection.

Not sure yet what I'm going to do yet at my table regarding Jarvix double dipping magic items by default. I didn't know that the Mystery of the Veil was a boon until Nick mentioned it in a thread somewhere here, and I understood it as 1 item he gives to the 2 Veiled Alliance characters. (The text read ambiguously to me given what I thought it intended.)

Simplest solution would be to just give another item from my cards to spread out the loots, but given I have a table of 4 and no Jarvix in play, my decision may be made for me beforehand. : )

Shame I didn't think to give out the Poison resistant armor earlier - that'd be handy for them in the next couple sessions.

I gave out the bracers in session 2 - after conversing with the players a bit, the fire spirit offered some 'assistance' by revealing an old corpse nearby with a pair of shiny obsidian bracers. Of course, that's when the Kanks attacked.

Chapter 2 cards are done. You can find the link in the original post.

And if you're a player, stop peeking, you're spoiling it for yourself.

By the way, I quite like what I've read for chapter 2.

If you've got anyone who's given up on DDE for whatever reason, entice them back for chapter 2. I suspect it'll need less 'tweaking' than chapter 1.
same here.  i looked chapter 2 over night before last and i was really excited by it.  i really like the change of scenery.  i'm also excited about how the finale starts chapter 3 off.
If you ain't DMing, don't read this.

Show

Honestly, considering the direction the PC's are heading since Session 1, I kinda assumed that was where Nick was going with it. When discussing 'reskinning' critters in chapter 3, he confirmed it for me.

One thing that DOES bother me about chapter 2 though, is that it seems the players end up rather far considering the relatively short distance traveled through chapter 2.

I'm likely going to narrate a long distance traveled in a generally 'upward' trajectory between sessions 5 and 6. I think that was intended, but maybe didn't come across as clear as it could have.

I could just be misremembering too, I haven't had time to read through it again.

Hey TDN I was kinda hoping you would use your "mad" PDF skillz to make the Boon of the Ancients(Baldric of Time) treasure cards for enc 2-5....Please?

Erm... check the original post - at the bottom - I made the Chapter 2 cards a while back and let everyone know about 3 posts back or so. : P

Ooops thanks TDN you the man.

Chapter 3 Treasure Cards are finished.

You can download them from the link below or in the original post of this thread.

www.4shared.com/file/qP78RrJv/DDE_S2_Ch3...

Sorry I was a little late - too much stuff to do, too little sleep. 
exellent work on the cards again just one question?

Show

isn't the bonus on the third item wrong?the item should be +2 so poison damage on a crit should be +2D8

feel free to correct me if i'm reading it wrong
Oops. I was working quick and it figures something slipped through. I'll try to have a new version up tonight.
Fixed and updated.
Sign In to post comments