6/02/2010 BoaB: "Enter the Beastmaster"

47 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Building on a Budget, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

"Zvi cast Beastmaster Ascension and attacked with four creatures. Suddenly, I couldn't win."

NASTY.  Zvi is the man.

+++++++++

*bow Brad* Well done, man.

Hard work pays off!:-)  

Has anyone tested this type of deck w Coat of Arms and more Eldrazi makers? I know it doesn't make them indestructible, but K. Pred. (You know, Britney's ex.) would become 6/6 and his friends 3/4. Awakening Zone? Brood Birthing? Emrakul's Hatcher perhaps? Seems workable and a sudden kill.

Or is thing inherently bad and I'm just not seeing it?

Thanks.

You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Perhaps hybridize with the Devastating Summons/Goblin Bushwhacker bit? Might go counter to the main plan of the deck, plus provide at least one probably useless flip for Bloodbraid Elf, but having an extra win condition as well as a way to put out way more attacking creatures than your opponent expects. With four creatures and a Beastmaster Ascension out... An absolutely nutty amount of damage coming your way. Good game.

Edit: I just realized that combo is almost certainly too red-heavy to be playable in a mostly-green deck. The Bushwhacker alone might be a possibility, though.
Rules Nut Advisor
This is much better than the version I've been playing for a while, focused on a variety of token generators (Conqueror's Pledge, usually).  On the other hand, it's also a lot more expensive. I won't have a chance to check until later, but I'd be shocked if thus deck cost less than 40 or 50 tickets.   Even the Bloodbraid Elf has a non-trivial price (in fact, probably more than the Ascensions themselves).

Is it just me, or have the budget decks been a lot less budget recently?
All is forgotten in the stone halls of the dead. These are the rooms of ruin where the spiders spin and the great circuits fall quiet, one by one.
Artifice101, I think your math is wrong for Kozilek's Predator, as each would get +2/+2 (assuming they are the only eldrazi in play on the battlefield).  I think that would be a fun mirror match, though, as whoever gets the most spawn tokens wins...

I think that Beastmaster Ascension is better because it is faster and allows for some top-decked Arbor Elf to become a must kill threat, making Day of Judgement less effective against your agro plan.  Your Coat of Arms plan also requires your creatures to be relatively homogenous eldrazi, which means you are unable to play more diverse threats with relevant abilities, such as River Boa.  Finally, Coat of Arms also bonuses your opponent's creatures (I think), so If they are playing something such as Allies, you probably do not want to play your game winner.
Yea, monument/ascension is much better than coat of arms.

And I'm loving this deck too.  What do people think of Scute Mob?  It seems that the Ascension hits a little before you get 5 lands, so he could quickly become ridiculously large.  But he is also pretty "win moar", so I think my inner timmy is just trying to screw me over again.
A nice week for BoaB!

A fun deck, 2 versions of it, really taking budget into consideration... great!

Strangely enough, i was thinking about such a deck lately (the goblin assault/ascension version), and i'm building this tonight, it's gonna be a blast to play! Tongue out

I'm usually not a fan of Jacob's column, but i loved this one!
Thanks JVL.

EDIT: Faisjdas, as much as i love scute mob, i think it definitely doesn't go in the direction this deck wants to follow: spreading the threat over several bodies at once. So, probably not a good idea.
Keep the red in and add Raid Bombardment. Have been playing this in standard recently with a friend playing a similar deck and currently our combined record is 12-5-2. The losses have come to Vamps (Nighthawk is a problem) and U/W control (Man-Land issues).
Another painfully tempting deck from BoaB, and one that most people will actually be able to build with paper! Neato!

If you want to make this thing really cheap, though, and I mean dirt cheap, consider swapping out the Monument for Pennon Blade or the obvious Overrun.  Coat of Arms is indeed symmetrical, so not a very good idea.  Why was there no Rapacious One in the green-red list? Granted, it's slower than Siege-Gang, but it only requires one red mana, and it's completely insane with Sarkhan Vol in play. 

I'm surprised Leatherback Baloth didn't make the cut.  With eight one-mana rampers and Treespeakers, it seems pretty decent.  Then again, Wolfbriar=nutso in this, or any, heavy green deck, so it'd be kinda redundant.  One budget replacement that makes more sense would be Snake Umbras for the Monuments (I'm only suggesting it because I don't own any myself, it's just an idea).  It's not a completely equal swapout, but I've gone up against a friend who uses Keen Sense on Silhana Ledgewalker...it hurts, a lot.  Of course, you'd have to add more boas to really abuse that thing.   Or maybe Aura Gnarlid.  It won't get boosted that much in an Aura-light deck, but along with the Ascension ramping it could work. 
Likewise, Master of the Wild Hunt sounds good against utility creatures, but then what creatures do you want to ping that you can't just overwhelm with your horde?

Also, kudos for sneaking Dread Statuary into the deck.  That kind of thing will get overlooked a lot, and many annoyed grunts will follow, I'm sure.  Is there a sideboard for this deck? I vote for Mold Shambler and Oran-Rief Recluse.  They worked in that rogue mana-ramp deck a while back, they can work for this thing.  Also, Kazandu Tuskmaster against removal-light decks.  Chucking out 3/3's is nice, it's even better when they can turn 8/8 in the late game. 

Just throwing some ideas around, as per usual.
Leatherback baloth is in the board, though ironically against the decks that kill your 1 mana elves so it won't come down turn 2 very often, but it can still block just fine when it comes down on turn 3.
I played virtually this exact R/G deck at GP DC, with the following changes:
Awakening Zone instead of Goblin Assault
Dragon Fodder + Violent Outburst instead of Llanowar Elves + River Boa
2 Garruk and 2 Dread Statuary
The deck was way above my expectations, although I am a poor player so I made a lot of mistakes and didn't do very well.

One downside is that this deck is incredibly weak vs Mythic Conscription. They accelerate just as fast as you do, their combo trumps Eldrazi Monument, and they can even slow down your Beastmaster by blocking with a big creature and attacking with Exalted. Post-board, their Negates handle all your win conditions, and you have to side out threats for stuff like Lightning Bolt.

On the plus side, this deck is better than it looks against planeswalkers. After sideboard, you go up to 4 each of Awakening Zone, Eldrazi Monument, and Vengevine, so Day of Judgment is unimpressive against you. The correct play is often to let your threats sit in hand and force them to waste Path to Exile on your man lands, or to bait out an O-Ring.
In the casual rooms online I've been pairing Beastmaster Ascension with Howl of the Nightpack.  They virtually go hand in hand together (though that means you will have to cut back on Oran-Rief/Khalni Garden/Dread Statuary, but even Oran-Rief wouldn't hurt).
This deck is a mixed bag for me. It seems like it will be a great budget deck however, it looks to me that the lotus cobra + fetchlands and vengevine + noble hierarch will usually be the better choice. So even though I know I could build this deck on a budget the idea that it will be a watered down version of the deck is unappealing. I'd much rather play with the best version of a deck that might be slightly worse than this deck than play with this deck knowing that I'm not making the best deckbuilding choices.
Don't be too smart to have fun
@ morticianjohn

Are you serious? Is it Jacob's fault that Wizards prints staple cards as mythics so they can't be used in this column?

So Jacob can't build green decks for this column because vengevine or lotus cobras are probably needed for the deck to be optimized. He can't build blue decks because Jace 2.0 is needed for optimal play. No white because of baneslayer.

What happens if they print another jitte? No more column since no deck will be optimized? Jacob does a great job of showing how to win without chase cards. It isn't his fault that Wizards prints the vast majority of tournament playable cards in the rare and mythic slots. He can't make affordable commons and uncommons suddenly not suck so they can be used to win at FNM.
I think this is a cool deck, but I don't really play standard anymore (card prices nowadays -- see post before me). In my casual version of this deck, fyndhorn elves replace the arbor elves (the arbor doesn't do much with a khalni garden in play). River boa definitely seems to be a 4-of to me, and awakening zone is one I'd also like to include. What do you guys think about rites of flourishing in there?

Anyways, great article.
I like the article, but I hate that its only a 5 minute read!  I love reading the post-game reports!  Could we start getting like 4-5 games per coloumn, instead of 1 game??  Kinda dissapointing!
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
I like the article, but I hate that its only a 5 minute read!  I love reading the post-game reports!  Could we start getting like 4-5 games per coloumn, instead of 1 game??  Kinda dissapointing!

I have to agree with this, the reports are what make the column interesting.
I would love to see a budget deck talked about in this article.  Maybe some details for those new players out there ( mostly for whom this article is written ) on what cards are CHEAP and VIABLE. 

You're suggesting that Sarkan is cheap ?  4 copies of that is minimum running you 16 tickets.  thats how much an entire budget deck should cost. 

I agree that with no game reports, this article is useless. 

Here is my suggestion for this deck, I have played out 15 games and gone 13-2 , most of my games are won off the back of the 2 budget red cards included in the deck :

4 x treespeaker @ .25 tickets = 1
4 x lanowar elves @ .05 tickets = .2
4 x nest invader @ .1 tickets = .4
2 x river boa @ .1 tickets = .2
2 x naturalize ( just one helps us win the onslaught of similar type decks / pyromancer combo being played in the casual room ) @ .1 tickets = .2
4 x beastermaster ( rawr ) @ 1.25 tickets = 5
1 x awakening zone   @ 2 tickets = 2
2 x raid bombardment @ .1 tickets = .2 ( this makes a true impact in this kind of deck, making all your tokens double up in purpose, aside from the ramping ability's of "manabots" - Ive won 5 of the 15 games on the back of this little doozy )
4 x kozileks predator @ .2 tickets ( workhorse 2 for this deck ) = .8
4 x wolfbriar elemental @ 1.25 tickets ( workhorse 1 for this deck ) = 5
1 x strength of taraju @ .3 tickets = .3 ( wins an extra turn against the mirror / wins games on its own )
2 x beastial menace @ .35 tickets = .7
2 x world at war @ .2 tickets = .4 ( another back breaker once your board is full )

4 x kahlni garden @ .15 = .6
4 x evolving wilds @ .1 = .4
3 x terramorphic expanse @ .1 = .4
5 x forest
5 x mountains
2 x rootbound crag @ 2 = 4
1 x jungle shrine @ .25 = .25

21.65 tickets

Instaid of having 4 Arbor Elves, why not have 2 Elves and 2 Scythe Tigers? There is already enough acceleration in the deck, plus it can't be pathed, bolted, or o-ringed.

2 x naturalize ( just one helps us win the onslaught of similar type decks / pyromancer combo being played in the casual room ) @ .1 tickets = .2
2 x raid bombardment @ .1 tickets = .2 ( this makes a true impact in this kind of deck, making all your tokens double up in purpose, aside from the ramping ability's of "manabots" - Ive won 5 of the 15 games on the back of this little doozy )
1 x strength of taraju @ .3 tickets = .3 ( wins an extra turn against the mirror / wins games on its own )
2 x world at war @ .2 tickets = .4 ( another back breaker once your board is full )

5 x forest
5 x mountains

21.65 tickets

Also as a heads up to new players, this guy has no idea where to find cards, you can easily build the same deck for like ten tix cheaper.
And these new players are going to know where to find the best deals ?  Its called conservative pricing pal.  Great feedback ;?  Feel free to be specific on which cards need price adjustment ...
Well, considering at least half of the decks in competitive standard are over 900 dollars, I'd call anything under 50 "budget".

Building decks around  rares, and especially ultra rares, is hardly building a deck on a budget.
Try this "Ally Terrain" Deck. It is 98% common and uncommon - mostly commons!

Blue/Red
Blue Creatures (16)
Hedron Crab 4x (Uncommon)
Halimar Excavator 4x (Common) - ally
Umara Raptor 4x (Common) - ally
Sea Gate Oracle 4x (Common)
Red Creatures (9)
Akoum Battlesinger 4x (Common) - ally
Highland Berserker 4x (Common) - ally
Kazuul Warlord 1x (Rare) - ally
Artifact Creatures (3)
Stonework Puma 3x (Common) - ally
Blue Spells (2)
Deprive 2x (Common)
Red Spells (5)
Rolling Terrain 4x (Common)
Slaughter Cry 1x (Common)
Artifact - Equipment (1) 
Explorer's Scope 1x (Common)
Lands (24)
Basic Islands 11x
Basic Mountains 11x
Non-Basic Evolving Wilds 1x (Common)
Non-Basic Halimar depths 1x (Common)

There is only one card that is rare. But if you open a pack and get a Planes walker, example Chandra Nalaar or another ultra rare that fits the deck change Kazuul Warlord for it.

This is a burn deck disguised as a mill deck. Milling your opponent's deck into her graveyard serves three purposes. 1) It allows you to see what kind of deck your opponent has & some of their key cards 2) It may deprive your opponent of some key cards and is one less threat you have to face - maybe a planeswalker or a Day of Judgement gets milled! 3) This is the main purpose and don't let on - do not count the number of your opponent's lands you have milled, but make a mental note.
Once you mill 6 or more lands into their graveyard you will want to be ready to play Rolling
Terrain - an overlooked, but powerful common!
With all the "expensive decks" running fetch lands they will even help by placing their lands in the graveyard for you. Make sure when you play Rolling Terrain that you do not target a land your opponent can sacrifice. If you can destroy a creature land when playing rolling Terrain that is a bonus! After your opponent taps out to cast their Day of Judgement or Planes Walker or other key spell then you can cast your Rolling Terrain to finish your opponent.
A Hedron Crab generally mills 6 cards before being destroyed or removed from the game.  Your Halimar Excavator in tandem with your other allys coming into play generally gets 6 more cards. If they fetch, then that will add one or two more cards (lands) into the graveyard. 
You will want to trade some early damage with your allys to set-up your Rolling Terrain.
Side board can be flexible in this deck, but pick cards that help you stay around against the popular standard decks where you play MtG without impacting the deck's focus too much - mill/early creature damage/final burn.
Sea Gate Oracle and Halimar Depths help you get to a key card. Tip: If you need your Rolling Terrain and your next three cards aren't it - then you can alway mill yourself with your crab to dig through your deck or to get to another card you need! Experiment with a second Halimar Depths. Use your counterspell -  Deprive to counter a key spell while returning Halimar Depths to your hand so you can look at and order your next three draws and to trigger the hedron Crab again!
This a truly a budget deck that has even beaten expensive Fetch/Planeswalker's decks. 
All I am concerned with is keeping the price low / having a semi-competitive deck / having a fun play experience / making it difficult for those 900 dollar decks. 

The problem is Van L. : Great guy , great player , great ideas ; the problem is inherently within a truely competitive mindset , how do you truely acknowledge the needs of players who love and want to play on a budget.  This is a challenge to Van L. , who is obviously able , but maybe doesnt have the right focus ? 

I guess thats the vice though : A business pushing a budget on its customers ?  =  bad buisness.

As for the allies deck suggestions , their is almost no fun playing a deck that plays itself, and allies is just that.  BORING.

5 x forest
5 x mountains

21.65 tickets

Also as a heads up to new players, this guy has no idea where to find cards, you can easily build the same deck for like ten tix cheaper.

Way back when I used to spend money on MtGO I used to search around and try to find everything at the cheapest possible price however, there are quite a few problems with this.

1st you end up with partial tickets in multiple bots/vendors and you have to keep track of those.
2nd it takes forever. Sure if I'm playing MtGO every day I'll probably spend enough time to know where to look whenever I need something but if I play 3 hours per week I'm not going to spend an hour searching vendors.
3rd some people just don't have the know how. Like how to use the buyers area to their advantage etc... and like emurs said you should use conservative pricing what that means is going to one of the mass vendors and picking out all of the cards then seeing the bottom line because you know that is what any noob is going to do.

@ morticianjohn

Are you serious? Is it Jacob's fault that Wizards prints staple cards as mythics so they can't be used in this column?

So Jacob can't build green decks for this column because vengevine or lotus cobras are probably needed for the deck to be optimized. He can't build blue decks because Jace 2.0 is needed for optimal play. No white because of baneslayer.

What happens if they print another jitte? No more column since no deck will be optimized? Jacob does a great job of showing how to win without chase cards. It isn't his fault that Wizards prints the vast majority of tournament playable cards in the rare and mythic slots. He can't make affordable commons and uncommons suddenly not suck so they can be used to win at FNM.

You're right they're making it really hard for him to do a building on a budget collumn however, MaRo says that restrictions breed creativity. The allies deck is a budget deck that is competitive. There are more out there. I actually preferred it more when BoaB wasn't as worried about winning FNM. Ben used to go out and test the deck in the casual rooms online then if it was really good he'd take it to the tournament rooms.

Or maybe they should just stop locking out colors with cards like malakir bloodwitch, jace, the mind sculptor, goblin guide, baneslayer angel, and vengevine
I think it would be in the best interest of both mtgo and paper noob communities to have a highlight on the subject in this column.  I spend a great deal of time explaining the in's and out's of online trading with bots to new players.  I know that before I go to an FNM its good to construct your deck online, test it in the casual room and then move to the tourney practice room with a 2.0 kinda of list.  For budget minded players, this is a great opportunity to learn about the community, learn about a  more diverse meta-game than their regular store ( learn about what a meta-game is for example ;) ) and especially to learn phases before you get into a mind lock with a RL opponent.  That being said, this is my favorite column, I check it every tuesday night before bed and get my mind churning for the next day.  I would like to say that its the johnny in me, finding combo's that work, at a cheap price .. I think alot more people would be interested in this game if they werent disgruntled by their obsessive friends and their massively costed decks ( 2 monument will run you a minimum of 26 tickets ) ... Ill dub myself a Jimmy in that case.  In a time of Eldrazi,  a Jimmy feels at home ;)
And on the winning FNM's concept , I agree; it is fun to participate, its fun to learn about the higher end decks, its fun to trouble them with your budget genius, but when all is said and done, its having the unbiased opinions about how match-ups work through posting reports ... yes, it is time consuming to write those out ... but thats your job.  Build cheap decks, play with them, explain how they work in theory, and then put them to a test/record your results, learn from the results and augment the deck accordingly.

I like your ideas and your guile Jacob, but Ben had it right, as Im sure the responses from the articles you've written in similar fashion have been well recieved. 

Keep up the good work regardless !
I think there are 3 key concepts here (as far as I see it)

1. Mana accel (elves + spawn)
2. Immortal creatures (Vengevines and River Boa)
3. Buckets o' creatures to finish the game (for Beastmaster Ascension or Eldrazi Monument)

Scythe Tiger is pretty good, but I just don't see it fitting in here. It would mostly just hinder #1 on my little list.

(Also what's with the MTGO talk on here? No one takes it seriously; it's not at all like real magic.)
They're both the same thing.  Despite what your eyes may be telling you.
This is truly an argument for another thread but playing anonymously against a faceless foe, being forced to strictly follow sanctioned rules... that's not quite the same as gathering around the kitchen table and slinging some carboard. Hate to break it to you.
This guy's interpretation of "budget" clearly is not the norm. I feel it shows a real lack of imagination as he can't build a winning deck without 3 copies of $15 cards. Wizards needs to find a new author for this column and soon. This dude builds good decks, but there is nothing "budget" about them. Send him on his way.
I agree that "budget" was a little abused in this article... nothing there really came close to it... but previous articles in BoaB have been very good at keeping the prices resonable. I don't neccessarily blame the author completely for this article... card prices are skyrocketing and standard is literally a battle to see who throws more money at it now (as is basically every other sanctioned form of magic).

Perhaps Jacob Van Lunen could have come up with better cards for the budget version of the beastmaster deck, but just playing the pro tour might have gone to his head a little. I expect in the next article it'll be back to the usual.

And it could be worse. Remember the last article... the one about Surreal Memoir? That card is trash, nuff said.

On a completely different note, I'd just like to say how much I like the layout of BoaB over all the other columns. Explaining the card selections and giving actual game testing to us is pure gold, and it's a structure I've simply fallen in love with.
This is truly an argument for another thread but playing anonymously against a faceless foe, being forced to strictly follow sanctioned rules... that's not quite the same as gathering around the kitchen table and slinging some carboard. Hate to break it to you.

MTGO sucks guys, I hate having to follow the rules Yell

On topic: Jacob, come on; Raging Ravine and Rootbound Crag?

The rest of the deck is not bad for budget, but the cost of the mana base is ridiculous (at least for the budget that people are used to from this column, which is what really matters -- your 4 colour spectre deck's mana base cost something like 5% of the price of this deck's) considering that there actually are budget alternatives (Kazandu Refuge, Terramorphic Expanse, Borderposts and jund/naya alara-tri lands and panoramas all could fit).

EDIT: Even if you left the mana base in the decklist as it was, but then made a note of cheaper alternatives afterwards for new players or people who are unfamiliar with standard, that would have been great.

EDIT 2: Yea just saw how much Eldrazi monument costs -- ignore the comments about the deck being fine for budget besides the lands -- this just doesn't fit BotB.
Yesterday I built the mono-green version, swapping 3x Overrun for the Monuments (I'm on very low budget; good call, Moon_Bei).  Tons of fun!!!  Dominated the table in my casual circle!!!

After about a dozen games I'd say there was a bit too much mana-ramp and not enough threats.  I tossed two Arbor Elves and added 1x Gigantomancer and 1x various-other-things, and it went smoothly.  I think a fourth Overrun would be excellent.  I won every game where I cast Gigantomancer.  Ant Queens would seem like a good fit, too.

Great job, Jacob!  This deck was totally adaptable to my budget and very powerful per dollar.  The whole thing probably cost me $15 or less.

Anyone have sideboard suggestions for going up against red? (Pyroclasms, Earthquakes, bolts, etc.)
That is an excellent question. I've been brainstorming green sideboard cards that are anti-red... I haven't come up with anything yet. I'll try scouring the internet.

The best thing to do, I think, is to get awakening zone so that board wipes don't mean game over.
Okay, what do you think of this deck list? No mythics to be found.

Creatures

Llanowar Elves x4
Fyndhorn Elves x4
Nest Invader x4
River Boa x4
Kozilek's Predator x4

Spells

Harmonize x4
Overrun x4

Enchantments

Awakening Zone x4
Beastmaster Ascension x4

Lands

Khalni Garden x4
Forest x20

Creatures

Llanowar Elves x4
Fyndhorn Elves x4
Nest Invader x4
River Boa x4
Kozilek's Predator x4

Spells

Harmonize x4
Overrun x4

Enchantments

Awakening Zone x4
Beastmaster Ascension x4

Lands

Khalni Garden x4
Forest x20

in this version since you're going extended with harmonize you have a ton of better options to you. Maybe take out the harmonize for elvish visionary to keep things standard. In extended I don't think this deck has as much potential as it does in standard.

Creatures

Llanowar Elves x4
Fyndhorn Elves x4
Nest Invader x4
River Boa x4
Kozilek's Predator x4

Spells

Harmonize x4
Overrun x4

Enchantments

Awakening Zone x4
Beastmaster Ascension x4

Lands

Khalni Garden x4
Forest x20

in this version since you're going extended with harmonize you have a ton of better options to you. Maybe take out the harmonize for elvish visionary to keep things standard. In extended I don't think this deck has as much potential as it does in standard.

Extended? I'm going casual. I haven't played sanctioned magic in years.
I also play casually. I think that the decklist seems really fun in that regard.

Mono green has always been one of my favorite strategies with or without overrun types of cards. However, my casual decks tend to include cards that deal with multiple types of strategies so including cards like mold shambler or acidic slime is a must because you don't generally use sideboards on the kitchen table and there never seems to be enough artifact and enchantment destruction in multiplayer games. (of course I don't know if you use sideboards and play multiplayer or not).
I don't use sideboards and my group plays multiplayer all the time. Those cards would be excellent for this list.