Characters

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
The characters for Season 2 provided by Dungeon's Master.

dungeonsmaster.com/2010/05/dark-sun-char...

Who do you want to play?

Personally I'm wanting either one of the defender's or the psion. 

Always a GM, never a player (not really but sometimes feels like it).

Hex Grid UserPopcorn InitiativeAndroid UserD&DMapTools

DungeonScape

I have been wanting to play an Ardent. Battleminds are very fun and I used to love playing a thri-kreen. The kid in me always likes mul as well - is there a better DS hero than the Conan-look-alike type? I do love the psion class. Yeah, I'm not good at choosing. Guess I better DM again. Cool

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

I have been wanting to play an Ardent. Battleminds are very fun and I used to love playing a thri-kreen. The kid in me always likes mul as well - is there a better DS hero than the Conan-look-alike type? I do love the psion class. Yeah, I'm not good at choosing. Guess I better DM again.

Just out of curiousity, how does one pronounce "Mul"? I'm going throught "Mule" "Myule" "Mull" "Mool"
I don't know.. I dislike the "Mule" pronunciation, so I was going by "Mull".  But my wife brought up the "Mool" pronunciation, and know it is my favorite one....

As to officially.. I hope it's not "Mule"

DungeonScape

"(pronounced: mül)" according to the AD&D Boxed Set. I do not know how to pronounce umlauts. I think it is a long sound, prounounced similarly to the French rue
Ok, if that's the actual pronunciation (mül), then the u makes a sound like in "food", a sound sample is here for a Close front rounded vowel.

DungeonScape

I believe in one of the podcasts Mike Mearls said it was similar to "mull things over". The original boxed set makes it fairly clear that it was like mule by spelling it "mule" several times in a table. I believe Troy Denning on ye old ancient Dark Sun listserver said it was mule as well.

Most people I know (me too) dislike "mule". However, it is completely what the concept of the mul is (real-life male mules are sterile donkey-horse hybrids and muls are also sterile hybrids).

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

"(pronounced: mül)" according to the AD&D Boxed Set. I do not know how to pronounce umlauts. I think it is a long sound, prounounced similarly to the French rue

Most common pronunciation of the umlaut seems to come from German (which IIRC uses the umlaut more than other languages).  If we go by the German pronunciation it would be more akin to Mool.  Much like the German pronunciation of Munich (spelled München) is close to Moon-chen.  To spell out a word with an umlaut you'd put an e after it (Muel or Muenchen).

At least I learned something after 3 years of German in highschool.
Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf
Additionally, mul could be taken from the slightly insensitive term mulatto.  Given that a mul is the child of a human and a dwarf, it certainly lends credence to the "mül" pronunciation.
Sign In to post comments