D&D Encounters Information

31 posts / 0 new
Last post

8b53cd8204f2717f63a71e89928510a4.jpg?v=133200

Welcome to the Dungeone & Dragons Encounters Forums! This is the place to share your stories for from your D&D Encounters games and ask questions or share feedback about the program.

We will continuously update this sticky with information from the D&D group blog posts and website.

Here's a link to the D&D Encounters webpage, which will be updated with new information as it becomes available.

Chris Tulach will also be provoding weekly development updates for D&D Encounters. We'll keep a running list of those here:

D&D Encounters is Coming! (Chris Tulach) Posted January 28th, 2010

Things you'll want to know about D&D Encounters

• Weekly in-store mini-campaign

• One encounter per session every Wednesday

• Renown Points rewarded each week for in game and out of game accomplishments

• Players use Renown Points to purchase special in game benefits

• Dungeon Masters earn valuable game aids

• Live content updates through twitter (@Wizards_DnD)

• D&D Encounters seasons rotate every few months

• First season takes the players to Undermountain in the Forgotten Realms, March 17th - June 2nd

• Second season is planned for Dark Sun and Athas

We will continue to update this sticky as information becomes available. If you have any questions or feedback, please post them in a thread and we'll be sure to get back to you!

Update 2/15: D&D Encounters can only be run on Wednesday. If you're trying to sanction it for a different day, you will not see the D&D Encounters option.

Mudbunny SVCL for DDI Before you post, think of the Monkeysphere
If you have simple questions about D&D Enounters in general (not season 2 specifically), post them in this thread.

Specific questions about Season 2 should go in their own thread.

As always, remember your spoiler tags!!

[_sblock=blahblahblah]blahblahblah [/sblock_]

becomes
blahblahblah
blahblahblah

once you remove the underscores.
Mudbunny SVCL for DDI Before you post, think of the Monkeysphere
What is the official rule wording for the "Reckless Breakage" rule?
Found it on pages 8-9 of the module:

Reckless Breakage – When you roll a natural 1 on an attack roll, your weapon has a chance to break.  You can accept the result, automatically missing the attack as usual, but keeping your weapon intact.  Alternatively, you can reroll.  Regardless of the reroll result, a nonmetal weapon breaks once the attack is complete.  A metal weapon breaks only if you roll a natural 5 or lower on the reroll.  This rule gives you say in whether a weapon breaks.  You can play it safe and accept the errant attack, or you can attempt to avoid a miss by risking your weapon.

I don't see a way for a venue to Sign up for the Encounters events. Even if I choose Wednesday for the event as mentioned above, the Encounters doesn't appear as an option. Is it too late for a venue to sign up for the Encounters: Dark Sun event campaign? =*(
I don't see a way for a venue to Sign up for the Encounters events. Even if I choose Wednesday for the event as mentioned above, the Encounters doesn't appear as an option. Is it too late for a venue to sign up for the Encounters: Dark Sun event campaign? =*(

Yes it is too late to order. I think the last day you could order was like 3 or 4 weeks ago.
it's still there in my list of sanctionable events under D&D Public Play.  and according to this page from wizards, sanctioning is available until august 9th.
Is there any way to get the D&D Seasons 1 (or 2) modules other then sanctioned play at a store? I'd like to run some of the season 1 encounters for a group of friends. PDF form would be sufficient for my needs Thanks.
I'm afraid not.
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Is there a reason Season 1 isn't available in some format? Since the season was over I assumed there wouldn't be an issue.
Probably kinda like how a movie isn't available on dvd as soon as it leaves the theatre.  If they ever were to release the Encounters seasons for home play, they don't want people to skip Encounters at the store knowing they'll be able to play it at home soon.

It may be available for home play in the distant future, but I wouldn't count on seeing it anytime soon; not in any official capacity, anyway.
I can understand that viewpoint, and honestly I wouldn't mind paying for a print or digital version of season 1 (within reason). I wouldn't think WoTC would care where people play as long as they are playing. The format of DnD encounters seemed perfect for my group of friends that have new kids/jobs/etc. However, there is no way I'd be able to drag them to a game store, even for an afternoon. 
the reason wizards cares where people play for this particular program is because they are supplying it for free.  the way they look at it is as advertising for their products.  instead of spending advertising money on commercials or billboards, like most other companies do, wizards creates free to play programs, like Encounters, D&D Game Days, etc.

just like a McDonald's TV commercial or billboard is meant to get you into a McDonald's to buy some food, wizards' "advertising" programs are meant to get you into a game shop and while you're there they hope you'll buy some of their new material to add to your collection.

basically, with this season of Encounters (Dark Sun), they are paying to advertise the soon-to-be released, 4th Edition version of their Dark Sun world to you.  if you love playing in it, you'll probably buy the player's guide when it comes out.  if you love DMing the Encounters, you'll probably buy the campain setting and a module or two.
I suppose...I just don't see a reason not to offer it out to everyone after its over. Part of the draw of the DnD Encounters is the Renown system and the community building. Would people who go to DnD encounters really not go because it will be available after the season is over. My gut says no. I think the people who are going to these events would do so anyway for the community aspects. Anyway I'm not trying to cause problems I was just interested in DnD encounters but really do not have the ability to attend the game days right now. I think it still could provide  a way to hook gamers on DnD that have left or have never played. The cost of getting into DnD can be a bit of a barrier to some people. Think of it as a video game demo or free trial. 

I'd see releasing the old seasons material as PDF download for free/digital purchase/dndinsider or whatever as a way to get more mileage out of content thats otherwise going to sit in the WoTC vault collecting dusting. 
They want it to be an exclusive experience for people participating in the program. I think Wizards stopped providing PDF copies of their books because of online piracy, and Encounters would not be immune to that.
Vendetta, if you really want to just run an Encounters-style program for your friends, it would be really easy to do so.  See my post explaining how here.
Thanks for the link
I know season 2 is still going on.  Has there been any thoughts of doing Gamma World for season 3 or later?  I started a Gamma World group when I heard it was coming back.

Identical Games

D&D Published World foums at The Piazza (Dark Sun, Mystara, Spelljammer, Planescape, and more); Core Coliseum; D&D Material including my Master/Expert DM Competition entries

I know Gamma world wont be season three thats essentials. Maybe a later season but dont know.
I know season 2 is still going on.  Has there been any thoughts of doing Gamma World for season 3 or later?  I started a Gamma World group when I heard it was coming back.

I'm second from the left in the picture.

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

the next locale-specific tile-set (dungeon tiles) looks like it's going to be icewind dale, so i was wondering if there was going to be an icewind dale season to correspond with that, like how the Desert of Athas tile set came out to correspond with this season.
I've been asked to DM an Encounters game at my FLGS, which hasn't been running encounters. But I've never been part of this program before... I've done all the WPN/DCI stuff I can do, and the Encounter is now sanctioned... but how does this work, starting in the middle of the campaign arc?

Am I allowed to start at Encounter 1, or do I have to play a specific encounter this week? Do characters that start this week begin with the items and experience they should have gained from previous encounters?

Do you actually have the physical packs from Wizards? They're highly unlikely to send out any more mid-season I would have thought.

If you don't, I would have thought that you will have to wait until season 3 (some time in September I estimate) before you can begin.

If you do have the kit; well supposedly you should be starting with the specific encounter for the Wednesday you begin (encounter 7 on July 21 for instance), but many locations run catch-up days, so there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with starting at encounter 1, running multiple encounters each session, and doing your best to catch up with the "correct" date,

Apparently, stores can sign up for the program until August 9th... that suggests they'll still send the kit until then, doesn't it? Is it possible that the organizer can download the materials, like with LFR stuff?

The organizing store has already advertised the event will start next Wednesday. I've tried to speak to my contact at the store, hoping to make sure he had the materials - although I'm not entirely sure what materials there are - but haven't heard back yet.  If not, I sure hope he already had stuff or is having it shipped in a hurry!
The 1st level versions of the characters are available for download from the main D&D site, but unfortunately there are no (official) electronic copies of the adventure.

The kits contain the adventure, poster maps of the encounter locations, and the reward cards to be given out at various points during the story.

Getting a straight answer from the store before Wednesday looks to be a must. If they've advertised it before knowing for certain that they can run it then they've taken one hell of a risk...
I have a question in regards to season 3... is encounters going to allow original characters for season 3+?

For season 1 we had 12-16 people playing Encounters. But as soon as Dark Sun came around we dropped down to about 5-6 players. Everyone was upset about being forced to use the pre-gen characters. (I realize the forced pre-gen was likely because of the lack of Dark Sun books out)

Pre-gen should be an option, good for helping those new to D&D or for someone who just does not have the time do make up a character. If season 3 forces pre-gens again I think we will just have to replace it with a custom campaign, because players want to roll their own characters and I want our players and customers to be happy when they play ANY game in our store or at home.
Feel Free to add me as a friend. I am always looking for more of those around here The Pathfinder Archives: A WotC community dedicated to Pathfinder and the conversion/creation of new Feats, Races, Classes, Prestige Classes, Equipment and more. Haynz Designs: T-Shirts and more Designed by Fallensbane. Roleplaying Inspired merchandise available. Fallensbane on Deviant Art: My Deviant art page. I upload Photography, Photo-shop work and sometimes RPG Maps and Resources
I have a question in regards to season 3... is encounters going to allow original characters for season 3+?

Yes, Season 3+ will allow players to bring their own characters. 

As i've said before, if players are so upset about the pregens in Season 2 that they would rather not play, i would suggest relaxing the rules and allowing them to bring their own characters to the table. That's not an official Wizards policy, but if i were running a game store, that's what i'd do. I agree with Fallensbane: keep your customers happy and having fun. 
Wizards didn't send the level up info for chapter 3. Is there any way I can download it. Can some one scan it on here or link me to it.
if you are an organizer, you can find the download link in your scheduled events.  just log into your DCI account, click My Events, click D&D Public Play, click search button, and then click on the sanctioning number of any of your upcoming Dark Sun Encounters.  then you will see the zip file link.
I'm not am organizer. The store where I play is but I don't think he really cares that much about it. I've hustled him before and he gave me season 2 stuff. Can you email me the zip thin? My email is dayminkaynin at me dot com.
I have a question about getting access to these packs, I am from Miami, but currently live in UK there are no stores near me that are of any real convenience, more than two hours aways. I do however belong to two established gaming clubs, 60 members between the two, and would love to run these encounters, any suggestions on how to get hold of them. Thanks
I have a question about getting access to these packs, I am from Miami, but currently live in UK there are no stores near me that are of any real convenience, more than two hours aways. I do however belong to two established gaming clubs, 60 members between the two, and would love to run these encounters, any suggestions on how to get hold of them. Thanks

Here is a link to a trade/swap forum for DDE:

community.wizards.com/dnd_swap_trade_baz...

Or try your luck at eeeebay.

lordofmasks