Impact of [M11 spoiler] on standard

601 posts / 0 new
Last post
well like with RoE I'm starting this discussion now, we have 4 new spoilers and birds of paradise currently confirmed at mtgsalvation.com.

I'm thinking about plumet right now, a 1g removal spell, awesome. (instant-destroy target creature with flying.) it really only hits one creature in any deck it does, so it won't make too much of an impact (unless some green deck is hapily using its creatures to outclass all the openent's creatures-as long as they don't  have flying)
I think right now windstorm's lack of play does well to show how popular plumet will be, but the 2cc (instead of 5 or more) might mean something.

chandra's outrage (2rr, 4 d to creature, 2 d to controller)
reminds me of staggershock, searing blaze, and comet storm - cards that are really playing well for me (though not so popular currently outside of block.) I feel the 4 cc is a prohibitive cost, however the 4 damage is pretty interesting. good against vampires and relevant more or less against other decks, but I feel it should do more damage or cost less to be any playable.

reassembling skeleton: only interesting because it's how I used to think regeneration worked, back in the day. if they tack this onto a bigger creature, oh man will it be big, but as a 1/1 it seems like it's only as bad as drudge skeletons is.

sorcerer's winbox - 4 (no colors) for an artifact, 2 (again no colors) T: flip a coin, if you win you win ( mean sac it and draw three cards)
tidings for any color? I'm game. (but seriously, what's with changing the color wheel on us, blue draws cards, not white)
I don't know, though, it's prohibitively manacostly and only really good in a deck with counters, where you just play jace anyway.

so, nothing too exciting now except the flavortext IMO, what's yours?
No impact yet.

And the draw cards artifact isn't Tidings. Tidings draws 4 cards. 
Team GFG: Great Flatbread Gangsters
Accomplishments
Top 8 Charlotte Regionals 2011- Qualified for Nationals 1st place TCG Player Qualifier- Qualified for TCG Player Championship 2nd place SCG Invitational Qualifier Top 32 SCG Charlotte Open 2011 (7-2, stupid tiebreakers)
MTGO name: Battle7
concentrate is what was being referred to

anyways, i'd love to see tidings come back and replace mind spring.

i'd also love to see the return of Ambition's Cost

do you think a new planeswalker would happen in the core set... ya know cuz they're pushing new cards in the core set and all?  i doubt it, but you never know these days

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

All bad cards except the draw 3 is interesting.
Photobucket Team GFG - Glux's Fine Gents
Plummet could be good, and I like the burn spell - if they print a solid, agressive, red 1-drop in M11, I'll drop the Summons package in RDW and definitely test out Outrage as a 2-of.
Photobucket Banner by zpikduM - typo also by zpikduM. =) Skide Fuld - Problem of Evil by frontsession Currently playing Standard: TurboJund Legacy: Zoo Block: Hahaha, good one! 1000th post on August 28, 2009 at 6:08PM
glux, mind saying something meaningful? your words, while true, do not add to the discussion,

also the draw 3 is interesting because it's colorless, while it might not be well-costed. It's doubtfully any more playable then jayamdae tome, but yeah...
if it gets interesting, it will be after bloodbraid leaves the format.

do you think a new planeswalker would happen in the core set... ya know cuz they're pushing new cards in the core set and all?  i doubt it, but you never know these days

Random_Miser claims they're coming out with a new chandra

but he has no sources
All bad cards except the draw 3 is interesting.

its only playable as you don't sac it as part of the cost (i think anyways, otherwise it would be terrible)

still... i'm not totally sold on leaving my draw spells up to a coin flip

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

Photobucket

what exactly do you want me to say? this thread is a complete dead end, it's clear the cards are all crap and the only one worth discussing is the Recall-in-a-box.
Photobucket Team GFG - Glux's Fine Gents
(but seriously, what's with changing the color wheel on us, blue draws cards, not white)

Each color does what the designers of the game say it does. They shift and expand the focus of the various colors over time, it would be boring if every set featured slight variations on the same cards doing the same thing in each color. So once in a while green gets direct damage or haste, and once in a while white draws cards or counters spells.

As for the cards themselves, the green Terror looks like a good sideboard card, it is cheap enough to cast when you really need it, even if you cast something else that turn.

I could see the red burn spell being in some sideboards too. There's a lot of Walls and other high-toughness creatures in ROE, stuff that is outside of Bolt range and can hold off aggressive red decks. Shocking the opponent at the same time is a bonus.

The skeleton is an interesting idea, and great for decks that sacrifice creatures a lot. A poor man's Bloodghast. The artifact is meh, coin flip cards don't usually work well outside of just for fun casual play, although the fact that it sticks around until you win the flip helps.
yeah I'm interested in if the skeleton is at all abusable as some sort of lategame engine, I don't thing there's anything currently and it'd have to be really worth it to have to spend :1B: on each use at least.

I think a better answer to walls would be Grotag Siege-Runner, although Chandra's Outrage is relevant against other creature threats.

what exactly do you want me to say? this thread is a complete dead end, it's clear the cards are all crap and the only one worth discussing is the Recall-in-a-box.

:shrug:
it'll get more relevant as time passes, and I want to hear people's interests and oppinions as known info changes.
also lol @ both me and BF misunderstanding your last post, you're saying the artifact is the only interesting one, what you said read like they're all bad but the three that aren't the artifact are still somewhat interesting.
The skeleton could be easily abusable depending on worthwhile sac engines.
My trade thread http://community.wizards.com/marketplace/go/thread/view/94957/22369033?sdb=1&post_num=1#389455421

why, oh why did they have to wait for my Archdemon of Unx to rotaite out??? :'(

To me, there is no such thing as an evil personality trait or spiritual condition. There is only sin, concrete and deliberate action that is simply wrong. It is what happens when one goes against one's nature. It germinates in the shadow of risks untaken. It ripens in power exorcised. Beings like us can take risks no one else can, and exorcise power no one else has. We have the greatest capacity for sin, through action, or inaction.

57183108 wrote:
56783528 wrote:
Meh, not sure whether this is entirely accurate, at least for concept decks. Sometimes an unrefined idea cannot beat the top dogs at first, but with a few suggestions and heavy playtesting, they might get there. Islands' diamond in the rough lists are a good rebuttal to your statement.
Islands' decks are more gazing into the abyss of madness and madness staring back at you. With Manamorphose.
they'll be simulateously legal for 3 months
well like with RoE I'm starting this discussion now, we have 4 new spoilers and birds of paradise currently confirmed at mtgsalvation.com.

I'm thinking about plumet right now, a 1g removal spell, awesome. (instant-destroy target creature with flying.) it really only hits one creature in any deck it does, so it won't make too much of an impact (unless some green deck is hapily using its creatures to outclass all the openent's creatures-as long as they don't  have flying)...

Slingbow Trap:
officially obsolete?

Awesome.

If we get the transient facts, then we'll feel the Info-High!
can only hit attacking creatures = big drawback
I'm thinking the new one might be viable since it hits BSA before they have a chance to block, efficiently
can only hit attacking creatures = big drawback
I'm thinking the new one might be viable since it hits BSA before they have a chance to block, efficiently

...I meant that the Trap was obsolete...

Gotta work on making more coherent messages...

I'd actually pay the 2cmc to kill a flier on the spot rather than try and get Slingbow Trap to go off.

Hell, for laughs:
Jump + Plummet.

why, oh why did they have to wait for my Archdemon of Unx to rotaite out??? :'(

There's better ways to abuse the skelly. I'm more concerned about seeing answers to SuperFriends-style decks. With Jund rotating out, it will be interesting to see what kind of creature-based decks manage to make the grade.

Photobucket
but consider this superfriends looses two plainswalkers unless they print 1 in M11, in october
"Some have said there is no subtlety to destruction. You know what? They're dead." —Jaya Ballard, task mage
But it will most likely gain some planeswalkery goodness when Scars comes in.

They need more vampire reprints.  I've been checking out the old cards, and geez... some of them are bonkers.

STI - Standard Tier 1 Infect IMAGE(http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/2500/infect.png)Credit goes to zpikduM for the image.
I'm interested in the Skeletons as a sac engine along with World Queller, right now I think that Bloodghast is a better pick, but It's god to know that budgeted people have potions.
I would have killed, literally ended someones life, to NOT have Arrogant Bloodlord riding a giant ant... Good times:
Show
but where DID the other fork come from?
Show
Lord_Zed: I was at my friends house when this happened. He's married and his wife was an excellent baker. She had baked a homemade apple pie the night before. I was hungry, and my friend convinced me to try those low carb monster drinks. Before this day, I had never triend energy drinks before. Boy was I in for a treat. When I tried that first monster, I really enjoyed the flavor, but the taste that it left in my mouth wasn't so good. What was my solution? Drink another! before I could finish drinking that 2nd monster, I felt it already kicking in(these drinks were not very far apart, we're talking minutes here) my friend decided that it was a good idea to whip out that fresh pie his wife made the night before. I didn't know what to do, since I felt incredibly invigorated, and at the same time, freaked out by the rush I was feeling, but I was also hungry, and my friend have me an entire plate with a fork and said "help yourself." He extended his saucer to me, and I cut him a piece of the pie and handed it to him, then I looked at the pie, noticed that the pie was in an aluminum holder, and dumped the entire pie onto my plate and started eating it with 2 forks. I don't know where I found that other fork, it probably came from my friend. Anyhow, his wife wasn't happy, and I was already in magical christmas land. 2 days later, I was in my friends bed and I slept for 14 hours. His wife outlawed my from having any of her baked goods for a while(which sucked because I could just show up at there house, steal some sweets, and leave) and said I couldn't have any energy drinks at her house, unless under close watch. My friend, on the other hand, had to take me out to a steak dinner, because apparently I won a bet where I climbed a tree and didn't die.
The great land debate:
Show
97563441 wrote:
Zendikar had fetchlands, and Worldwake had manlands. What are the new Scars duals called?
61325265 wrote:
Explosive Peanut Lightning lands. Well, that's just what I call them.
61325265 wrote:
58232598 wrote:
i'm just trying to figure out what the point of saying this is. it's just really random.
And so the pot met the kettle.
But it will most likely gain some planeswalkery goodness when Scars comes in.

Doubtful. There's already been discussion among the judges I've talked to about planeswalkers over-saturating the field. It's likely we will see a Tezz 2.0, but I wouldn't count on ever seeing more than 2-3 walkers per color available to standard players.

@Jakethelate - Honestly, I would use Queller as a way to smash wierd threats more than opposing creatures, since most aggro decks currently make creature sac-effects crappy right now. Mythic only needs a single creature to conscript, Jund **** out tokens like it's going out of style, Eldrazi green swarms, etc.

Photobucket
I look forward to more PW, I don't know why judges are complaining about saturation. if there weren't enough planeswalkers,  it would really off-balance the color pie and potentially metagame. and more planeswalkers would just lower the prices of individual ones, allowing for competetive uses of planeswalkers to be done for cheaper.
I look forward to more PW, I don't know why judges are complaining about saturation. if there weren't enough planeswalkers,  it would really off-balance the color pie and potentially metagame. and more planeswalkers would just lower the prices of individual ones, allowing for competetive uses of planeswalkers to be done for cheaper.

More then one type of PW deck would be good in a vacuum, but Judges hate watching more then one match go into time.
PW heavy matchups go into turns a lot, seeing as they tend to lack wincons that aren't a slow crawl to victory, and play like lock decks.

They're a strain on event morale, especially if you're playing at a bigger box hobby shop like an A1, which tend to be full of kids or more casual players.

Effective PW answers are probably for the best, with them in format Haste is almost a necessity,  and hit creature & player burn 2 for 1s are the good sort of swing to keep players in the game.
i think green ought to get a destroy target non-creature permanent for 4cmc.  sort of like a better than a creeping mold, to get better with the times and a more accessible answer to planeswalkers.

Photobucket

i think green ought to get a destroy target non-creature permanent for 4cmc.  sort of like a better than a creeping mold, to get better with the times and a more accessible answer to planeswalkers.

Mold Shambler?
Except kicker isn't a core set mechanic, right?

Mold Shambler?
Except kicker isn't a core set mechanic, right?

yea, just not on a stick.  i mean, molder shambler at basically 6 isn't coming out fast enough to impact the board i always felt.  but i think a functional creeping mold to include hitting planeswalkers would be a good card, something to maybe help out green decks (especially with the soon-to-be rotation of maelstrom pulse).

that and of course the printing in a core set of oblivion ring.  i firmly believe that as long as planeswalkers are in a format, a card like oblivion ring MUST be available, or else there will be an inbalance.

Photobucket

I had a dream once that there was a green oblivion ring, non-creature instead of non-land, that came out in Rise.

a week later after building multiple decks in my head, I was like, "wait....." and checked gatherer, and had the most disappointing realization I imagine I'll have my entire life...
I look forward to more PW, I don't know why judges are complaining about saturation.

Well, it can go both ways. On the one hand, I can say, "You know there are too many PWs available when you can cram a few of 'Walkers in a deck, throw in some spells and lands and you have a Tier One deck."

Or I can say, "Planeswalkers aren't the problem. The real problem is that Land Enchantment Aura cards are oversaturating the field."
Point is, you can say that about almost any card type that sees heavy play.

Orzhova Witness

Restarting Quotes Block
58086748 wrote:
58335208 wrote:
Disregard women acquire chase rares.
There are a lot of dudes for whom this is not optional.
97820278 wrote:
144532521 wrote:
How;s a 2 drop 1/2, Flying broken? What am I missing?
You're missing it because *turns Storm Crows sideways* all your base are belong to Chuck Norris and every other overused meme ever.
i still maintain that planeswalker (and mythic rarity) are a big part of the problem with the direction this game is going in.  they're just way too overpowered in general, and players are punished for not playing them (by which i mean using them or playing to beat them, like the new jund decks).

this is an extremely loose comparison, but its like an affinity vs. big red meta or something, where you either are playing planeswalkers, or you trying to beat planeswalkers.  to me, that just doesn't seem right.

but i'm sure there are plenty who'll disagree

Photobucket

To be fair, Planeswalkers are in every standard, tournament level deck... It's because of the massive card advantage they offer. They are like insanely good creatures or enchantments... just BONKERS with the right support... and the fact they support each other doesn't hurt either.

Okay the best news to come out so far:

Baneslayer is in
the cycle of M10 duals is still in.

sad news: Twincast is out
old quotes from the Worldwake talk: Mike Turian: While Mark Rosewater made Tarmogoyf, I made Tarmogoyf what he is today Mark Rosewater: Would we ever reprint Tarmogoyf? Maybe.

I am Blue/Green

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

174 How many of your friendships have lasted more than ten years? Which of your current friendships do you still feel will be important to you ten years from now?
To be fair, Planeswalkers are in every standard, tournament level deck... It's because of the massive card advantage they offer. They are like insanely good creatures or enchantments... just BONKERS with the right support... and the fact they support each other doesn't hurt either.

Baneslayer is in

Source?

Photobucket

Baneslayer is in

Source?

*snaps fingers*
Keep up man, the Magic main page updates at midnight eastern standard... which is 11 central, 10 mountain, 9 pacific.

Core samples
old quotes from the Worldwake talk: Mike Turian: While Mark Rosewater made Tarmogoyf, I made Tarmogoyf what he is today Mark Rosewater: Would we ever reprint Tarmogoyf? Maybe.

I am Blue/Green

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

174 How many of your friendships have lasted more than ten years? Which of your current friendships do you still feel will be important to you ten years from now?
I'm just guessing blind here, but my money's on Annul replacing Essence Scatter (because of Scars of Mirrodin) and Day of Judgment replacing Planar Cleansing (being closer functionally to Wrath of God).
"Do not concern yourself with my origin, my race, or my ancestry. Seek my record in the pits, and then make your wager." --Arcanis the Omnipotent
Who Am I?
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png)
Before they banned the format out of existence, I was a proud supporter of Modern.

I'm just guessing blind here, but my money's on Annul replacing Essence Scatter (because of Scars of Mirrodin) and Day of Judgment replacing Planar Cleansing (being closer functionally to Wrath of God).

Personally, I want Damnation to be reprinted. Black can't deal with non-creature, non-planeswalker permanents so it's definitely more balanced than Day Of Judgment or Wrath Of God.

I am Blue/Green

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

I absolutely love Damnation (easily my favorite Wrath effect).  I thought that it would appear in Zendikar after some of the art was spoiled for the set.  But with Consume the Meek as an instant speed black sweeper, I doubt we'll see Damnation in M11 (slim as the chances were for a reprint anyway).
"Do not concern yourself with my origin, my race, or my ancestry. Seek my record in the pits, and then make your wager." --Arcanis the Omnipotent
Who Am I?
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png)
Before they banned the format out of existence, I was a proud supporter of Modern.

Well well, we have a vampire lord... and we have quite the twist on the tribe...

attachment.php?attachmentid=105997&d=1275627862

For those of you who haven't stretched your janapese muscles, allow me. (from salvation)

Captivating Vampire image.png

1bb
Creature - VampireRare
Other Vampire Creatures you control get +1/+1.
Tap 5 untapped Vampires you control: Gain control of target creature. It becomes a Vampire in addition to its other types. (This effect doesn't end at end of turn)

with this, and a bunch of little guys... vamps certainly has my attention now
scrubnextdoor blog
Notable Stuffs
Champion of Niv's 1st Block Constructed Tournament
1000 posts & !-year anniversary 2/17/10 BOOYAH

Siggables
Neruka's Boyfriend
Kor Firewalker is SO HOT. He is the fire in my pants. I want his firewalking babies.

Oops
75932913 wrote:
57689138 wrote:
I just realized how large a pain in the ass it's going to be to break down regionals like this
but look on the bright side, [b]Ding Dong jund is dead[b], it's not the boogyman anymore XD

Razorgore
61325265 wrote:
57689138 wrote:
Near Death Experience?
Gideon is not impressed by your triple white, incredibly difficult-to-manlipulate jank card.
Poor Niche
57860688 wrote:
MaRo keeps stabbing me in the face with cards like Phyrexian Rebirth. It's a black card.. with black art... in a white layer with white costs. Up yours, design team.
Cryptic Command can go munch on a bowl of my nuts
This thing is terrible.

- It's activated ability is slow, in a format currently defined by a turn 3 lotus cobra/KotR getting conscripted to beat your face for 14+ damage, or a Turn 4 DoJ followed by superfriends locking you out of the game.

- The passive ability is meh, and he's got a grizzly bear body.

- Nothing in the current card pool lets you explode out of the gate with enough vampires to get the activated ability going quickly.

He's a black nullmage mentor.

Photobucket
@Razorgore At first glance sure, but in a deck with crypt of agadeem for example and a bunch of cheapo guys, you can rebound pretty quick, not to mention grim discovery. abusing crypt to get out an early mind sludge punishes UW very nicely. With all UW's first choice token engines leaving at rotation, I can see this making an impact post rotation.

I never said pre-rotation he'd get my love... but I can see some applications post rotation that intrigue me. if nothing else he's an auto add for my Kalitas EDH deck
scrubnextdoor blog
Notable Stuffs
Champion of Niv's 1st Block Constructed Tournament
1000 posts & !-year anniversary 2/17/10 BOOYAH

Siggables
Neruka's Boyfriend
Kor Firewalker is SO HOT. He is the fire in my pants. I want his firewalking babies.

Oops
75932913 wrote:
57689138 wrote:
I just realized how large a pain in the ass it's going to be to break down regionals like this
but look on the bright side, [b]Ding Dong jund is dead[b], it's not the boogyman anymore XD

Razorgore
61325265 wrote:
57689138 wrote:
Near Death Experience?
Gideon is not impressed by your triple white, incredibly difficult-to-manlipulate jank card.
Poor Niche
57860688 wrote:
MaRo keeps stabbing me in the face with cards like Phyrexian Rebirth. It's a black card.. with black art... in a white layer with white costs. Up yours, design team.
Cryptic Command can go munch on a bowl of my nuts
Nocturnus is much more scary than that little guy.

I'm really happy BSA is back.  
Team GFG: Great Flatbread Gangsters
Accomplishments
Top 8 Charlotte Regionals 2011- Qualified for Nationals 1st place TCG Player Qualifier- Qualified for TCG Player Championship 2nd place SCG Invitational Qualifier Top 32 SCG Charlotte Open 2011 (7-2, stupid tiebreakers)
MTGO name: Battle7
i like this new vamp lord even more than nocturnus.  sure, you don't get the flying, but its a faster lord, which i appreciate.... holy crap, am i considering vamps for next season?

Photobucket

Sign In to post comments