Porting Characters over from D&D encounters. We need those rules

10 posts / 0 new
Last post

We currently have a bunch of people who want to jump into LFR once Encounters is over with thier characters. I am curious if anyone knows the rules for porting over characters as many of us would like to take them from the 2nd that many are now to 4ths so they can play in the higher mods at Gencon.

Thanks, I hope WOTC does not drop the ball with this one as you have an awesome gateway drug unto LFR with encounters.

About the only official things we know is that 1) your characters must conform to LFR rules ... so dragonmarks and such are out and 2) re: Number of Magic Items we have post #10 over at community.wizards.com/dungeonsanddragons...

Other than that, I don't really know what else you'd need. If the issue is you need something official saying you -can- port a character over to LFR, we have the DDE intro material and since that came from WotC that is about as official as it gets.
Other than that, I don't really know what else you'd need.

Not all of the items a PC can come out of D&DE with are from player-legal resources.  Besides the special items in the module itself, it's likely that many DMs allowed players receiving open-ended bundles (e.g., any 3rd level magic item) free selection from the items listed in the CB, which includes items which are usually inaccessible (e.g., boons).

Beyond that, there's also the issue of how much gold a PC might come out of D&DE with, since there's always the possibility of a DM who was overly generous because they thought of it as a one-shot and didn't think it mattered.

None of these things would make a PC illegal (since LFR allows such items, as long as they're legitimately given out in a module), but it would be nice to have a clear rule of "Yes, your character enters LFR with everything they received in D&DE" or "No, here's how you convert the character".
Other than that, I don't really know what else you'd need.

Not all of the items a PC can come out of D&DE with are from player-legal resources.  Besides the special items in the module itself, it's likely that many DMs allowed players receiving open-ended bundles (e.g., any 3rd level magic item) free selection from the items listed in the CB, which includes items which are usually inaccessible (e.g., boons).

Beyond that, there's also the issue of how much gold a PC might come out of D&DE with, since there's always the possibility of a DM who was overly generous because they thought of it as a one-shot and didn't think it mattered.

None of these things would make a PC illegal (since LFR allows such items, as long as they're legitimately given out in a module), but it would be nice to have a clear rule of "Yes, your character enters LFR with everything they received in D&DE" or "No, here's how you convert the character".

Open ended bundles seems to have been explicitly allowed by the module. Hence, I don't see any need to correct or change that. If the module is considered to be a gateway to LFR, and the bundles were allowed, I say, let them keep their boons.

Gold: Again, unless there was a DM handing out hundreds more gold than was in the module, I don't see this as an issue. A few GP here or there is not going to make these characters overly powerful in LFR. Even a few hundred more gold wouldn't. If a character shows up with infinite gold, the DMs in their groups can easily correct them. At worst, this is not an LFR issue or a DDE issue and the "conversion" is, "No, you may not have infinite gold no matter what your DDE GM said".

I think that for once, DMs and organizers should be willing to use common sense (which isn't common, I know) and deal with those few issues that will come up. Good players will be able to find a viable solution with their LFR groups and problem players are going to be problem players regardless.

. . .  as many of us would like to take them from the 2nd that many are now to 4ths so they can play in the higher mods at Gencon.

Note that to play the higher mods at GenCon, you'll need to be Level 11.

(There are no GenCon adventures targeting characters levels 5-10.)

Specifically, you want to remain level 3 to play the MINI series at Gencon (Levels 1-4, you don't want to hit 5 before the third adventure.)

Good luck! 

Dan Anderson @EpicUthrac
Total Confusion www.totalcon.com
LFR Calimshan Writing Director
LFR Epic Writing Director

LFR Myth Drannor Writing Director

Open ended bundles seems to have been explicitly allowed by the module. Hence, I don't see any need to correct or change that.

And if that's the way campaign staff want to go, I'm fine with that (for a definition of fine that means "I'm not sure I'd make the same decision, but it's not the end of the world").

My main concern is that I don't want to have to go back a month from now, after campaign staff come out with different instructions, and play cleanup.
D&DE had nothing to do with most of the deities so why would they give out boons?

PCs should be able to keep one of the unique items that were specifically created for D&DI but not any overpowered items such as artifacts, boons (Pelor's), etc. that their DMs gave out "for fun".  There should be a rewards list like a LFR mod where they can choose a single item to bring with them into LFR. The list would be something like:

1. A single "X of the Apprentice" item
2. A single level 1-5 magic item from any player legal source
3. Potion plus gold
4. More gold

Anything else they got in D&DE would not be transferred to LFR.

PCs should be required to be LFR legal with all of their character choices.  That means no Dragonmarks or illegal races.

My main concern is that I don't want to have to go back a month from now, after campaign staff come out with different instructions, and play cleanup.

Fair enough, so let's hope they provide some updates sooner than later.
I don't know what your GM was doing, but, according to the rules for DDE: Undermountain, the only thing that would possibly need to be done is get rid of the DragonMarks.

Character race choices, per the official DDE character creation rules are among races that are legal for LFR.

PC background choice would actually require adding an FR background, although they would be able to retain the mechanical benefit they are already using.

PC magic items found in DDE: Undermountain are limited to the three Apprentice items, which I expect to be included in next month's update for the CB, and would be legal in LFR, as they are regular treasure bundle items, and other items that follow the normal "player resource" source for items found.

The only irregularity there, indeed, is that a DDE PC can come out with 3 magic items, which would leave them with one (or more) found item slots pre-used.

From what I can see, as loing as the DM is running DDE: Undermountain according to the module, the gold, if anything, is going to be on the low side, compared to an LFR-played PC at teh same experience. The gold makes LFR look generous...
PC magic items found in DDE: Undermountain are limited to the three Apprentice items, which I expect to be included in next month's update for the CB, and would be legal in LFR, as they are regular treasure bundle items, and other items that follow the normal "player resource" source for items found.

Not true.

You're given either a "2nd Level Magic Item", a "5th Level Magic Item" and at least one other specific item (that's session 12 so I won't spoil it). The open ended items can be chosen by the GM or selected by the player at least as far I can interpret. Some GMs have simply been letting the players choose and since there's no specification in the DDE that it needs to be LFR legal items, as bgibbons points out, players might choose things like boons.