Anyone's store get their kit, yet?

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
For season 2, I mean.

Probably not, eh?
The documentation .pdfs I received after sanctioning said they'll arrive on or around June 1.
My store received theirs today.  But I am needing someone else to confirm what was in the package:

2 Character Card Packs (2 x 6 Characters per pack)

2 Character Table Tents Packs (didnt open them but its probably 6 or 12 per pack as above)

12 Coozies

2 Modules with Maps

2 Packs of Status Cards

1 Pack of Rewards Cards

They sent the package to the store instead of me and they opened it up without realizing what it was.  Am I missing anything?

mine was there at the store when i arrived last night for the Encounters session.  looks like the only thing you didn't mention was the renown tracking poster.

also, the bag of coozies they gave me only had 11 in it, which means someone took one and didn't tell me.
I am so itchin' to get my hands on this. Twitter for #darksun had a poster from the UK sharing some tidbits. I am looking forward to getting the call from our store...

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

Coozies?

According to the store owner who let me know mine had arrived today, there were no promotional materials with this season.

Mind you, the UK didn't get anything in the package beyond the store banner last time either. Still, Charles and Esdevium have been doing their best to make up for that...
I am so itchin' to get my hands on this. Twitter for #darksun had a poster from the UK sharing some tidbits. I am looking forward to getting the call from our store...

I checked out the pre-gen characters here are the ones I can remember:

Elf Marauder
Some kind of ant-like creature Psion (I'm new and don't know DarkSun)
Human Sorceror (CHA based star)

I want to say there was an Ardent also but I don't quite remember that many. 
Coozies?

According to the store owner who let me know mine had arrived today, there were no promotional materials with this season.

Mind you, the UK didn't get anything in the package beyond the store banner last time either. Still, Charles and Esdevium have been doing their best to make up for that...

Well it may take a while for the coozies to reach the UK because they need to have special ordered coozies that fit cans oriented to the right side which is different than the American versions.
I will check for the poster.  Thanks
The info I have seen I have added over here in the Dark Sun forums.

Thea_bomb, the ant-like creature would be a thri-kreen, a mantis-like sentient PC race.

Given the info on PCs, it seems like I should cover the background of these themes in a future blog.

• Pregens with the PC themes in parentheses: pregens: elf marauder ranger  (gladiator), human  cosmic sorcerer (veiled alliance), thrikeen quick battlemind (wilder),

• teifling telepathic psion  (veiled alliance), mul brawling fighter (wasteland nomad), human  enlightened ardent (noble adept)

The quick low-down on the new stuff:
A Thri-Kreen is an six-armed insect that looks like a praying mantis. They value their pack and the thrill of the hunt. They eat meat, but generally avoid sentient races if they can...

A Mul is a dwarf-human crossbreed, generally bred for slave labor, gladiatorial combat, or war. They tend to be tough and gruff, the grunts of civilization. They are hairless and as tall as humans, with huge muscles.

Gladiatorial combat is the main form of entertainment in Athas (think Roman Coliseum). Thus, any gladiator theme shows training in this type of combat.

The Veiled Aliance is a secret society of preserver (non-destroying) arcane casters. They are illegal in the city-states and basically rebel enemies of the sorcerer kings. They go through elaborate means to guard against templar (sorcerer-king priests/justicars) spies.

Psionics is common in Athas. A Wilder probably has psionic capabilities, beyond any from a psionic class.

A Wasteland Nomad is probably someone very comfortable with living in the deadly wilds of Athas. This may include knowing about the land, fighting techniques used against slave and raiding tribes, etc.

The nobility serves the sorcerer king, and can be very powerful in some city-states. They have estates (no one else can hold land) and wealth and usually have been trained from birth to be better than anyone else. Noble houses often engage in intrigue against each other, doing things like hiring assassin bards to "entertain" another house.

Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

hoping my kit shows up in the next few days.

anyone have suggestions for mul minis?

and just to throw this out there; the troy denning dark sun novels are a great source of info on the dark sun world. they are in print, and a quick, fun read.
Kits are here!!
I have yet to receive mine...hope it gets here soon.Surprised
It's better to burn out than fade away!
Just so everyone knows it appears WOTC shipped the kits directly to the retail outlets.
sat down to look things over at the FLGS. It all looks pretty awesome. I'm fairly excited.
sat down to look things over at the FLGS. It all looks pretty awesome. I'm fairly excited.

I like the koozies.
i like the koozies, but only because of the magic item description on the side. Otherwise it would have been a bit cheap. Considering that the first season has drink coasters from 'The Yawning Portal', this koozie is even more humorous.
Any images? Any tokens?
Shaman: "Why doesn't the squirrel shoot the wizard?" DM: "Because the last squirrel who tried to shoot the wizard missed, then was pulled out of his tree and incinerated." Wizard: "He has a point."
Token sheets are the same generic token sheets from the previous events.

I haven't looked at the adventure (hoping to play this season) but I've been told there's no monster descriptions, just stat blocks.  Fortunately one of my DMs is an old school D&D player and has old Dark Sun stuff to get the other DMs up to speed on the critters.
I can keep making the table tents if that would be of use to others. Some of us owning the original stuff could also post descriptions on each monster. Most monsters should have an image somewhere in the old products, but some do not.

I would suggests DMs post in the appropriate thread for each session (as we have been doing for Undermountain).

I am kicking myself for not using your table tents earlier.  I finally got around to printing them out for this past week and they went over really well.

On the "appropriate thread" note, Trevor made a new forum subgroup for Encounters Season 2.
What makes me sad - no more compiled magazines: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/27580349/Dungeon_and_Dragon_Magazine_PDFs&post_num=24#495423645
Some of us owning the original stuff could also post descriptions on each monster. Most monsters should have an image somewhere in the old products, but some do not.

i have the dark sun paperback appendix for the AD&D 2nd edition monstrous compendium.  i'll be happy to scan in and upload pages for any monsters that are found within that are also in the dark sun encounters.
Please do so! When I played DS "back in the day", I was DMing with someone else's copy so I don't have access to it anymore!
Kjordan filled in some of the monsters. I'll look to work on some table tents when I get a chance. I have some travel and a lot of work these days, so I'll do what I can to get some images. I do think we should try to scan as little as possible. While we are obviously doing this all with the best of intentions, it is better to copy select text and scan individual images than to copy/scan entire sections. Just what is needed should probably be the golden rule to avoid copyright issues.

Sign In to post comments