Dungeon 178 - HT lv3 Chaos Scar: The Crawling Fane

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
DnDi_Large.png  Dungeon 178
The Crawling Fane
A Chaos Scar Adventure for 3rd Level Characters

By Aeryn "Blackdirge" Rudel

In this second Chaos Scar adventure of the month, finally for 3rd level characters, the heroes traverse a ruined temple of the dwarven god Moradin within the Chaos Scar.  The adventure pits the characters against the machinations of a crazed duergar cleric devoted to an alien deity with dominion over giant insects and other crawling monstrosities. The heroes must recover the weapon of an ancient dwarven hero, reclaim Moradin’s temple, and thwart the emergence of a new and terrible evil within the Chaos Scar.

Before you, the crumbling shape of a long-abandoned ruin juts from the wild landscape of the Chaos Scar. The ruin stands open to the sky, and its once sturdy walls are now little more than weed-choked rubble. Two towering statues, each so weathered and eroded that its features are impossible to make out, flank what was once the main entrance. It is hard to imagine this sad, forgotten structure was once sacred to the faith of Moradin.

Talk about this article here.  For details on the Chaos Scar and its environs, read the Chaos Scar introduction and check out the map of the entire valley. Then check out and join the Chaos Scar group on the D&D Community pages.
178-cs-the-crawling-fane.jpg

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

Adventure download (1.43mb) is incomplete.

The download is 14 pages (4-17) and does not finish and the usual "By Line" is not at the end.

Everything is there except the author bio. We'll plug that in for the compilation.

Steve

If your only tool is a warhammer, every problem looks like a gnoll.

Even though the adventure is incomplete…it is also missing the conclusion.

I’m having trouble contemplation way a cleric of Moradin, with influence over Artisans, Creation, and Family, would build an above ground temple in such a dismal area in the first place.  It is described as:

Ø      “…in a dark and wild place between points of civilization.  Where once had stood a wild forest and swamp between a line of small hills…” from The Chaos Scar - Adventures in the Ruined Valley

Ø       “…a rank swamp…” from Stick in the Mud

It is assumed that the temple was there long enough to bury at least four of the temple’s honored dead.  The rectory itself is described as ancient.  Ancient is a “created” word used to describe a time period more than 824 years in the past.

Given the time period involved I’m also having trouble with why the dwarves have waited so long to reclaim a holy relic.

For more on time periods based on generations see my other posts here and here.

Hi all,

Just FYI, Jennifer Clarke Wilkes is not the author of this adventure. I am.

The byline has been corrected on the adventure itself, but not here.

Thanks

BD

Aeryn "Blackdirge" Rudel Editor-in-Chief, No Quarter magazine Privateer Press
Fixed.  Sorry for not double-checking against the article itself, Aeryn. 

I'll fix the Announcements thread as well.

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

...I’m having trouble contemplation way a cleric of Moradin, with influence over Artisans, Creation, and Family, would build an above ground temple in such a dismal area in the first place.  It is described as:

Ø      “…in a dark and wild place between points of civilization.  Where once had stood a wild forest and swamp between a line of small hills…” from The Chaos Scar - Adventures in the Ruined Valley

Ø       “…a rank swamp…” from Stick in the Mud

It is assumed that the temple was there long enough to bury at least four of the temple’s honored dead.  The rectory itself is described as ancient.  Ancient is a “created” word used to describe a time period more than 824 years in the past.

Given the time period involved I’m also having trouble with why the dwarves have waited so long to reclaim a holy relic...

Here's a quick hypothesis as to why the temple existed and why the dwarves waited so long to recover the Hammer.

Perhaps the creations that the artisan-priests made in this temple were of such a nature as to be dangerous to the dwarven community at large, thus a workshop/temple had to be located in such a remote area (i.e. Slaughterstone Constructs - MM2 p.186).

If a temple was to be consecrated for such purpose, it would make sense that only a select few would know of it's location. Should the Hammer of Ivak Stoneblood integral to the rituals used to forge such war machines, it would make sense that the hammer would be lost with the destruction of the temple.

Adding to the above scenario, perhaps in the wake of the arrival of the meteorite, it's evil warped the rudimentary intelligence of a Slaughterstone causing it to rampage throughout the temple, killing everyone before heading off deeper into the newly formed Chaos Scar. If those killed were the only ones that knew of the temple, it would explain why the hammer was lost. Back at the main dwarven community there may have only been rumors and speculation as to where the hammer went and of its ultimate fate.

Just a thought, but that's how I'd set it up and explain it to my players.

Thanks.  Sounds plausible and provides for a possible follow-up adventure.
Sign In to post comments