Magic Arcana / Card of the Day / Daily Decks for June, 2010

235 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of magicthegathering.com's Magic Arcana, Card of the Day, and Daily Decks features for the month of June, 2010.
I'm rather interested in the Sorcerer's Strongbox card.  Must be an SoM preview, most likely rare, might even showcase a new keyword?
Niiiice deck. So $20 gets you Sundering Titan, Lightning Greaves, Lodestone Golem, Master Transmuter, Memnarch and Magister Sphinx? That's actually rather good value. Surprised there's no Etherium Sculptors on board.

Hopefully the other Archenemy decks are at this level of value and playability. That's probably the one thing that undid Planechase - the standard of the decks varied wildly. I wanted four of the black zombie deck, and wanted to burn all copies of the red/blue deck on sight.
~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
I'm rather interested in the Sorcerer's Strongbox card.  Must be an SoM preview, most likely rare, might even showcase a new keyword?

Spoiled! 
@ Cadaverous Bl00m = there was no red/blue deck in Planechase.  They were red-white and red-green, plus mono-black and gold/artifact.

Re:  Archenemy:  I'll admit this one looks pretty good.  No way am I getting all four Archenemy decks at the cost they go for, but I might tumble to one of them, and this seems like a candidate.  The display window is odd - it seems to contain the actual card "Feed the Machine" plus a blown-up artwork of "The Pieces are Coming Together".

As to the deck, Sundering Titan seems like a poor choice here since this deck has three colors of basic land in it, and the description of the other decks make it unlikely any of the others will have more.  Granted they're not supposed to fight each other, but still, the chances are fairly good of you having to lose a land or two because your opponents might not contain any representatives of those lands.

PS Monty, the autocard for Everflowing Chalice isn't working.  (Neither is Sorcerer's Strongbox, but I assume that was intentional.)

@ Cakeytastes:  I doubt that the Strongbox is either rare (I count 8 rares in the deck already, 7 artifact creatures and March of the Machines) or features a new keyword (though I could be wrong on that one, they did have the Trap mechanic in Planechase, which isn't a keyword but could have been with a slight stretch).  I'm anticipating that it may be a relative of Gustha's Scepter or maybe a Synod Sanctum for artifacts, but who knows at this point.
My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi
In the Deck List for Assemble the Doomsday Machine, Everflowing Chalice has a space between fl and owing
@ Cadaverous Bl00m = there was no red/blue deck in Planechase.  They were red-white and red-green, plus mono-black and gold/artifact.

Now that you've forced me to go back and look at the decklists...
... I'm thinking of the gold/artifact one (which is really five-colour blue, to be honest).
Your $20 got you Bosh, Forge, the N00bstick and... um... er...

~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)

@ Cakeytastes:  I doubt that the Strongbox is either rare

That's right. It's already spoiled. XD

Now, I think I'll definately get one of those. At least this one seems like a lot of fun. =D And it has an awesome ''I am so much stronger than all of you.''-flavor... Just, those names and flavor texts.
If I can find someone to trade one of my 4 Lodestone Golems with, I might get this one. Depends what is in the others, though.

~ Tim
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
Looks like my type of deck.  Full of blue and artifacts, specially Mirrodin block cards (my favourite block for its abundance of artifacts) and Esper cards (again, abundance of artifacts and blue).  And now I can easily get Memnarch, the card I always wanted.
I'm happy i preordered one of each for $13 a piece. I figured it would be a good deal regardless of what the cards are in the sets. They aren't going to dip lower than that for a while i figure. Good move?
I'm happy i preordered one of each for $13 a piece. I figured it would be a good deal regardless of what the cards are in the sets. They aren't going to dip lower than that for a while i figure. Good move?

Err yes. Thats less than half what they are going to cost me here in the UK. At that price I would have bought them all too! (instead I am going to wait for decklists and then buy 1, maybe 2)

~ Tim

Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
I'm actually just a little disappointed. I was hoping a deck from such a flavorful format called "Assemble the Doomsday Machine" would somehow evoke the flavor of, y'know... assembling some kind of doomsday machine. I mean sure, the artifacts are there, but there's nothing like, "as soon as I put together the last piece of this combo, you're ALL DOOMED," or something like that. Is the machine in question just a lot of artifacts and mechanical-sounding schemes that I will use at once to kill you?

Generally awesome, though. And if Planechase was any example, each deck is probably going to have another preview card. 
"The truth resists simplicity."
Some memorable quotes
57461258 wrote:
I know, as a good liberal scholar, that I'm supposed to respect every other belief and culture and what have you that comes along but... at the end of the day, when all is said and done, some things are just plain wrong.
92481331 wrote:
Venser "Ah, Hello Myr. This is the King. Long Time no see. We thought today would be a good day for rolling. The Myr Battlesphere. The Myr. Where the first rolls and the second follows. Roll, roll, roll. For that purpose we went to the bother, the bother of fixing up Mirrodin. The King of the Multiverse going to the bother just for rolling a Myr Battlephere, just for that, we went to the bother."
92126575 wrote:
Heard a joke once: Mare goes to doctor. Says she's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says she feels all alone in a threatening world where even ponies you thought were your friends can't be trusted. Doctor says "Treatment is simple. Go to one of Pinkie Pie's great parties tonight. Party hard. That should pick you up." Mare bursts into tears. Says "But, doctor...I am Pinkie Pie." Good joke. Everypony laughs. Roll on snare drum. Curtains. Fade to black.
69511863 wrote:
Sure, "the average person" might go see Transformers 3 if s/he wants a good story, but that doesn't stop people from making decent movies. Hell, they even managed to make Batman into a respectable movie. "The average" person might like American Idol or Jersey Shore, but people still made The Wire.
57722938 wrote:
I think the people who would sit down and listen to a minstrel reciting Homer, or thought that novels were art, or read poetry were always a minority. It's a common viewpoint that art was better in the past because everyone's forgotten the bad stuff, while we haven't had time to forget the awful stuff that is current.
56738148 wrote:
For almost all Magic fans, the "story" of Ravnica, for example, is that it's a city world with ten guilds -- yes, for most, that's a "story." All but a tiny fraction of the fan base are entirely unaware of an elaborate plot perpetrated by Augustin IV to trick Agrus Kos and Szadek into breaking the Guildpact, thereby enabling the Azorius to take control. Likewise, the vast majority of Magic players don't know who Harbin is, or Nivea, or Al-Hayat, or Feather, or Jared Carthalion, or Rebbec, or Zagorka ... the list goes on and on.
57916198 wrote:
I'm pulling this out of nowhere and it has nothing like fact attached to it, but it cannot be disproven without breaking the fourth wall, and this is going to be my headcanon because it makes perfect sense. I posit [Tamiyo, the Moon Sage] writes the Planeswalker's Guides to planes.
And one more thing...
CANON is the collected events and details of a fictional work that come directly from its author or someone with equal authority to the author. CANNON is a weapon that fires metal balls at a target, usually a structure or a crowd of enemy combatants. Every time you confuse the two, I'm forced to break one of my own fingers.
I'm actually just a little disappointed. I was hoping a deck from such a flavorful format called "Assemble the Doomsday Machine" would somehow evoke the flavor of, y'know... assembling some kind of doomsday machine.

Like what, Station? Voltron?

I'm actually just a little disappointed. I was hoping a deck from such a flavorful format called "Assemble the Doomsday Machine" would somehow evoke the flavor of, y'know... assembling some kind of doomsday machine.

Like what, Station? Voltron?

Exactly.  Except that the chimeras pretty much stink - all cost 4, you can't combine two that have combined with two others, and one Dark Banishing kills the whole mass.  If we're lucky maybe Scars of Mirrodin will have something similar but decent-quality, although it'll come too late for our mad machinist here.

I'll agree with Carlown that the "BWAHAHAHAHAH!!!" flavor seems to have been done rather excellently and is most of the appeal here.  And curse you, Guest, for getting that deep a discount.  I could have afforded them at that price, but not their actual one.
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi

I would have waited for release celebration. If there is a promo scheme that would be hot!

It would seem to me that with 15 artifacts that March of the Machines is the "assembling of doom" which is kind of cool. Too bad there isn't a Tezzeret.

Curious though what did you have in mind for the Doomsday assemble?

Voltron? Thats funny! I could hear it now "AND I'LL FORM THE HEAD!!!"
I guess these are as close as it gets?:
Helm of Kaldra
Sheild of Kaldra
Sword of Kaldra

KAAAAALLLLDRA!!! Defender of the Universe!

I plan on getting all 4. I want all the schemes. I plan to play the heck out of this format.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
Steam, huh?  It's probably the least offensive of it's kind, but I'm trying so hard to avoid those persistent gaming connection installs.  I'd probably buy DotP otherwise, but this makes me a little hesitant.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

So I went to Steam, created an account just to buy this game, and apparently it can't be bought yet.  WTF?  What tease Wizards, when is it going to be available for purchase?
I'm definitely getting this on Steam. And if the price tag is still a bit high for your tastes, there's always the chance it'll be put on sale on Steam during the weekly weekend sales sometime in the future.

Been using the service for years now and it's been reliable with only a few hiccups every now and then when Gabe Newell decides to eat the servers. It also has an offline mode for single player, although achievements don't get updated that way.

I've also got a couple of friends on Steam who play Magic with me along with the usual TF2 and L4D/L4D2, so this should be a good way to play two headed giant with them.
So it comes to PC at last.

PS Impulse > Steam.
No promo for PC users?

And how do I tell if my junkpile of a PC will be up to running it?

~ Tim
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
Taken from the Steam store page

Processor: 2GHz CPU (Pentium 4 or equivalent)
Memory: 1GB RAM (2GB for Vista)
DirectX®: DirectX 9c or later
Hard Drive: 700MB
Sound: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card
Video: 256MB VRAM GPU capable of Pixel Shader 2.0b or better

You can compare your system specs by pressing Start -> Run or using the search bar if on Vista/Win 7 -> then entering dxdiag. First tab should cover your CPU, Memory, OS and Direct X version. The video tab should tell you what video card you have and how much VRAM it has. You can just search the internet to see if your video card support Pixel Shader 2.0b, although most, if not all PCI-E video cards should have it supported by default.
SAD! Cry

I was soooo looking forward to the next Archenemy spoiler today.

I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
Seems you cannot in fact order this now.....just set up the account at Steam and there is no preorder or buy now button or anything.  Am I doing something wrong?
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
My Same problem. Is this thing for sale yet?  And do we get the foil Nissa mailed to us when we do order it?
Ditto.  I would like to check this out, but can not.  There is no "buy now" link.
So no DotP for Mac?
SAD!

I was soooo looking forward to the next Archenemy spoiler today.

Two of the other decks are spoiled here. The dragon one looks kind of weird with its red green thing, but i like it. I'm not too impressed with the zombie one. too much like the planechase deck. however, getting a reanimate is pretty sweet.
whoops, for got to hyperlink. Here's the link
While a quick Google search shows lots of articles that say the game would be released on steam on June 1, the steam product page still says "Release date: June 2010," which I'm assuming means it should be released some time this month.  I'm hoping it goes on sale soon, this is a great opportunity for those who don't have consoles.
So any chance someone from Wizards could tell us what's going on with DotP on Steam and why their press release is wrong because we can't in fact pre-order it at this stage?
Hopefully we get full art of the Archenemy cards once they are released, A Display of my Dark power looks awesome
98% of people use statistics in their sigs, or have used them in the past. If you are one of the 2% that haven't or don't, place this into your signature. New Magic Forums, Im'a let you finish, but the old Magic Forums were one of the greatest boards of all time!
I think that this just replaced the Machine deck as my choice of the one Archenemy deck I can afford.  The art on My Dark Power and Surrender your Thoughts are just too amazing.

Also...REASSEMBLING SKELETON?  Throb!
"Dance, Pathetic Marionette" killing creatureless decks outright seems wrong. Wouldn't shuffling the cards back into the library have been a better choice?

The artwork is brilliant! Especially the pieces of Howard Lyon and Jim Nelson.
Can someone explain this Steam thing to me?  I've never heard of it, and I don't understand at all what I'm looking at.  Someone is making money off this thing somehow?  What was that about a "persistent connection"?  Very scary phrase, that.
Steam in a DRM content provider set up by Valve (The creators of half life, counterstike, teamfortress).  Basically, it stores all of your games in a "Cloud" online, so you never have to fuddle around with disks or hard copies.  

The games can be run from any computer with steam installed on them, there is no forcing you to play on one system.

Steam automatically checks and installs updates for you as well, so you don't have to ever go and manually patch any of your games.    

Steam in completly free to use, I expect Wizzards pays Valve a small percentage of all of the sales they make over it.

Steam is also completly secure, there are a few people who run around on "Steam Friends" (a way you can add other gamers to view their status/join their games) trying to scam people out of their passwords, but as long as you never give out your password it is completely safe. 

Steam also doesn't block you out from editing your games - I purchased fallout 3 over steam and have many mods installed, so it doesn't lock up your system.  I play TF2 a lot, so I use steam everyday, and completely trust it.  
"Dance, Pathetic Marionette" killing creatureless decks outright seems wrong. Wouldn't shuffling the cards back into the library have been a better choice?

Figure Polymorph decks...
But yeah, they should've been shuffled back.
I think this deck seems a lot better than the previous. With so many scaling effects on the schemes (as opposed to only one on the previous) it should scale far better to variable numbers of players. I wonder at their absence in the other deck - maybe I missed something else that ensures it scales OK?

I watched the Mananation archenemy video (worth watching for anyone vaguely interested) and after seeing a 'useless' card pulled on the first turn, it strikes me that they could have made such spells modal. Even if the other choice were something as perfunctory as 'draw a card'. Setting a useless scheme in motion seems a definite 'feel bad' moment.

Edit: On further reflection, I suppose that having modal spells isn't generally very flavourful and so maybe they wanted to sacrifice a wee bit of balance/mechanical fun for more 'flavour fun'?

I think this reanimation deck will play out fine in archenemy but I wish they had some more exciting rares in this deck. It doesn't seem like a very appealing deck outside of the archenemy applications. cemetery reaper with only 8 zombies bleh. Also with the amount of magic cards to choose from over the ages why do they have to choose the same ones they've had in past products. (not including theme decks here are some that have been in planechase and/or duel decks) beacon of unrest, festering goblin (who is basically useless after M10 as they've removed his upside but he still has the huge drawback) dredgescape zombie, twisted abomination (I don't know how much I should complain about this one since I love this card) uborg syphon-mage, incremental blight and sign in blood, barren moor. For a total of almost one in every 6 cards including a rare have been released recently in angels v. demons, garruk v. lilliana, or the planechase zombie deck. 2 of those were just released less than a year ago. While I can see some overlapping of themes and reasons to choose certain cards like sign in blood there are plenty of other options throughout Magic's history. I think if I do skip out on any of these archenemy decks this will likely be the one because

1st the rares are unexciting. 8+ mana creatures go well in a reanimator deck but without the great reanimators like angel of despiar we are left with some crappy cards. They could have spread out the big creatures among the rarities instead of putting all the big guys at rare. This would have freed up some of the rare slots for exciting cards like kokusho, the morning star. artisan of kozilek seems perfect for this deck and I appreciate his inclusion but many of the rare slots are taken up by overcosted spells that are useless in anything other than reanimator.

2nd too many recently reprinted in product. As a customer who buys a lot of these kinds of products (duel decks, planechase, and now archenemy) and a customer who has been playing since kamigawa there are thousands of cards I have never seen or come across but you insist on giving me the same in each product. I appreciate that sometimes there just isn't a better option like with twisted abomination however there are so many potential replacements for dredgescape zombie, festering goblin and uborg syphon-mage that I don't even want to get into it. Due to the nature of my playgroup and how much these kinds of products appeal to them I'd say that nearly a quarter of my MtG budget goes towards this kind of product so help me out a bit and use a higher percentage of pre kamigawa cards and cards that aren't reprinted as much in multiple kinds of products like this so I am more likely to get exciting cards that I don't own.

I really love the schemes in this one though. This one looks like a more powerful archenemy. So I'm kind of in a pickle. I don't want all the crap but.... I still may buy it anyway we'll see how the other two are. So far I'm leaning towards the first one.

Don't be too smart to have fun
Anyone know what the deal is with Steam?  When is the pre-order possible and how is the Nissa promo going to be available?
Steam automatically checks and installs updates for you as well, so you don't have to ever go and manually patch any of your games.    

That's the part I was worried about.  There's a good chance this would give my rather old and creaky computer a heart attack.  Oh well, at least I'm more likely to buy a modern PC than an Xbox....
Sign In to post comments