5/25/2010 SF: "Bouncing Back For You"

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Serious Fun, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Yay first! Anyway... just had an interesting idea for a Stack. A Stack built around the "One" cycle (Heedless One, Soulless One, Reckless One, Doubtless One and Nameless One). All the creatures would be creatures of one of those types and support the general theme of their appropriate bomb, and all the instants would play off their bomb's theme. I might just go do that.
However as I alluded to then, and later, as well as picked up on by quitequieter on the forums "obviously cube and stack are different because of card draw, land effects, etc. but they are not as fundamentally different as [Adam] suggests."

...Look what you did...
"Ranvica" is my favorite block
I voted Time Spiral for the singleton deck because it was so many cards and with such variety that it would play similarly to the 4th Edition Chaos game referenced in the article. I loved Ranvica [sic], but Time Spiral Block felt more like kitchen-table Magic from the old days than any block since Urza's.
However as I alluded to then, and later, as well as picked up on by quitequieter on the forums "obviously cube and stack are different because of card draw, land effects, etc. but they are not as fundamentally different as [Adam] suggests."

...Look what you did...

i'm glad my first bit of recognition here comes from a post where i'm coherent and saying something worthwhile, instead of a wall of text argument with pell or something equally embarrassing. Smile i was actually directed here by someone on salvation, since i rarely come to this site anymore due to its complete redesign failure.
Alara is the best on the list.

Zendikar and Time Spiral shouldn't even be on there because they suck so bad.
Some years ago I would kill time on MTGO by trying to get people to play Complete Set Singleton and Complete Block Singleton games.  (shuffling digitally is so much easier)  It was pretty hard to find someone to play against, so often I'd have to advertise "500+ singleton" or something similar.

So, if this piques someone's interest, find me on MTGO...

(and the sets that "suck so bad" are even better to play in this format - what else are you going to do with the cards?)
This is exactly what I've been looking for for a while. Now I've got a name for the format.

In the past year, I've developed somewhat of an obsession with creating 60-card decks to be played in the manner described in the article: shared library, shared graveyard. These make for some very handy decks on the go. There are plenty of cards that become incredibly interesting in this format like Panglacial Wurm and Squee, Goblin Nabob.

White Deck

White Combat Deck
Creatures: (22)Spells: (15)Lands: (23)
1x Benevolent Bodyguard
1x Icatian Priest
1x Deftblade Elite
1x Nova Cleric
1x Akrasan Squire
1x Sighted-Caste Sorcerer
1x Squall Drifter
1x Standard Bearer
1x Defiant Falcon
1x Ronom Unicorn
1x Longbow Archer
1x Puresight Merrow
1x Azorius Guildmage
1x Soldier Replica
1x Burrenton Bombardier
1x Azorius Herald
1x Thistledown Duo
1x Soulsworn Jury
1x Wishmonger
1x Glamer Spinners
1x Voidstone Gargoyle
1x Razor Golem
1x Stand Firm
1x Stand // Deliver
1x Triclopean Sight
1x Leonin Bola
1x Temporal Isolation
1x Last Breath
1x Pitfall Trap
1x Devouring Light
1x Journey to Nowhere
1x Oblivion Ring
1x Bound in Silence
1x Prison Term
1x Faith's Fetters
1x Lapse of Certainty
1x Solemn Offering
10x Plains
4x Azorius Chancery
1x Island
1x Sejiri Steppe
1x Rustic Clachan
1x Forbidding Watchtower
1x Kabira Crossroads
1x Nomad Stadium
1x Stalking Stones
1x Quicksand
1x Rath's Edge

Of all the decks I've built for this format, this plays the smoothest and has the gentilest curve. It has several interactions among its pieces which should keep play interesting. Oust would be a neat addition, but I'm unsure of if it would be too powerful and there isn't really anything I'd want to cut for it.

Mill Deck

Black-Blue Mill Deck
Creatures: (20)Spells: (20)Lands: (20)
1x Hedron Crab
1x Drowner Initiate
1x Screeching Sliver
1x Mindlash Sliver
1x Millikin
1x Inkfathom Witch
1x Dimir Guildmage
1x Looter il-Kor
1x Soratami Cloudskater
1x Dregscape Zombie
1x Rotting Rats
1x Golgari Thug
1x Bloodcurdler
1x Gomazoa
1x Reckless Scholar
1x Stinkweed Imp
1x Viscera Dragger
1x Architects of Will
1x Shoreline Ranger
1x Twisted Abomination
1x Expedition Map
1x Memory Sluice
1x Mental Note
1x Raven's Crime
1x Cremate
1x Darkblast
1x Memory Lapse
1x Metamorphose
1x Words of Wisdom
1x Manipulate Fate
1x False Memories
1x Grave Consequences
1x Grim Discovery
1x Footbottom Feast
1x Mind Funeral
1x Crippling Fatigue
1x Deep Analysis
1x Dread Return
1x Death Rattle
1x Archive Trap
4x Island
1x Shelldock Isle
1x Tolaria West
1x Magosi, the Waterveil
1x Halimar Depths
4x Swamp
1x Crypt of Agadeem
1x Dakmor Salvage
1x Bojuka Bog
1x Cabal Pit
1x Creeping Tar Pit
1x Ghost Quarter
1x Terramorphic Expanse
1x Evolving Wilds

This deck attacks at the core of the format. Since each player is drawing from the same library, any mill theme would bring both players towards the same shared goal. When there are few cards remaining however, the player who collected the most tools in the early game will have the better position. There is an alternative route to victory in creature combat, though it can't happen very often.

This sort of deck could easily scale to more than two players, since there are a plethora of milling cards I've not included. The only real problem would be finding a way to represent the contents of the graveyard and library so that nobody has to ask about them every few plays. The game play would end up rather stale with a larger group of players, so it would probably be best to add a larger pool of creatures for attacking and open-ended cards like those with Transmute. You could also get a long going mill-like deck if you added a copy or two of Gaea's Blessing, (which could also open up the green half of dredge, bringing the deck into a third color).

I've got half a dozen of these kinds of decks and am still working on more. A blue deck with several morphs provides the actual theme of bluffing in a controlled environment (Shaper Parasite is a beast). I've also got a black deck with lots of graveyard recursion. When Scars of Mirrodin is out, I'm looking to complete a Blue-Red artifact based deck. The format is just so wonderful.

The only problem I've encountered so far is that there is only so much good removal to be had. Blue and Green really have a problem in this area, green only having Utopia Vow, Lignify, Entangling Vines and a couple of provokers, although it is realy indicitive of the color. The green deck just ended up with several pump spells. The decks themselves will therefore have to evolve over time as new cards are printed. Bramblesnap was added to the green deck as a way to give smaller creatures a use later in the game, but also ended up being perfect as provoker defense.
Sign In to post comments