Shardmind's Telepathy

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ok, so I just want to be certain of this since one of my players just brought a shardmind to the party. They gain languages as any other race: common deep speech, and one more, and their telepathy ability says: "you can communicate telepathically with any creature within 5 squares of you that has a language." Is the telepathy restricted to the languages known by the shardmind, and if so is the telepathy the only means of communication a shardmind has? Going from the images, they don't seem to have anything resembling mouths, not that it's set instone just because of that. And one more thing: is the shardmind limited to speaking telepathically to one person at a time or should they be able to talk to any and all within 5 sqaures simultaneously?

Personally I would say that they can speak just like anyone else (too problematic if they can't), but telepathically as well, and when speaking telepathically, then only in those languages they actually know, and only to one person at a time, but I'd like to hear if anyone thinks otherwise.
RAW, they speak languages like everyone else (whether or not they have a mouth), and they don't need to share a common language to speak telepathically, although this is obviously a short-range form of communication.

I don't remember there being any indication of how many creatures they can speak with at once when using telepathy, but I'd lean toward "whichever ones they are aware of and want to", not limited to one at a time.
My understanding is that telepathy is language-neutral. While a shardmind can't telepathically talk to an animal, they should be able to communicate with anything that has a language, as they don't use a language to do telepathy.
Take into account that while they can talk to any creature in range, they can't set up a group conference call.  At best they can be a central translator passing back what each person in range is saying, but that's not going to be efficient.  Certainly if they "say" something telepathically to 4 others in the party at the same time, they are going to have trouble understanding the simultaneous response of all 4 of those party members.  How many people can't even listen to someone talking on the phone and someone standing right next to them at the same time?  (In fact, that's a good analogy for just 2 people other than the shardmind being involved.)
Is it a one-way Telepathy ? Nothing indicate others can communicate back with him.

“You can communicate telepathically with any creature within 5 squares of you that has a language.”

If we compare it to the Kalashtar, it says it work in a two-way Telepathy allowing responses back.

“Telepathy 5 (you can communicate with any other creature that has a language and is within line of sight and within 5 squares of you; this allows for two-way communication)”

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Is it a one-way Telepathy ? Nothing indicate others can communicate back with him.

“You can communicate telepathically with any creature within 5 squares of you that has a language.”

If we compare it to the Kalashtar, it says it work in a two-way Telepathy allowing responses back.

“Telepathy 5 (you can communicate with any other creature that has a language and is within line of sight and within 5 squares of you; this allows for two-way communication)”

Er...hm. That's a disturbing idea. 

Well, let's compare the Thought Projection wild talent, which is definitely one way:
You broadcast a thought or an image to nearby allies.</i></p><br /> <p>Target: One or more allies in the burst</p><br /> <p>Effect: You convey either an image or a message of 10 words or fewer to each target.

And Send Thoughts, which is explicitly two-way:
<i>You communicate telepathically with a creature.</i></p><br /> <p>Target: One creature that shares a language with you</p><br /> <p>Effect: You send a mental message of 25 words or fewer to the target. The target can respond in kind as a free action.

I would say "communicate" implies two-way communication, and the "this allows for two-way communication" bit is a gloss; just explanation with no game mechanic effect.

At least I hope so; otherwise I've been using my shardmind all wrong. 
SyDarkSun, my 4e Dark Sun campaign

At least I hope so; otherwise I've been using my shardmind all wrong. 

Yeah, I know this is resurrecting an old thread, but I thought I'd point out that while the Shardmind racial entry in the Compendium still doesn't specify two-way communication, the Compendium does specify in the glossary entry for Telepathy that telepathy allows for two-way communication.  Since this is a defined term, I would assume that all telepathy allows two-way communication, unless specified that it does not.

So, yes, you are playing your Shardmind correctly. 
In our game:

* Shardminds cannot speak. They may only communicate via their telepathy.
* They can broadcast to everyone in their radius at once.
* They CANNOT receive mental responses.
* I had thought they could only project in languages they knew and we've been playing that. However, I can see the interpretation that they can project ideas 'in any language' effectively; however, they could not understand a spoken response.

This is quite balanced and makes sense; shardminds are effectively limited to 25' speaking (no shouting!), but the usefulness of silent speech is immeasurable.

Given that there are several varieties of telepathy (some allowing image projection, some allowing ten words, some allowing unlimited twoway communication), it seems reasonable to say that the shardmind power ought to say twoway if it grants it.

The Telepathy keyword in the Glossary really seems to be defining it for monsters.
That is, however, 100 percent pure houserules.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.

Given that the first clause is identical and the use of the words "this allows" I'm not sure you can really make the argument that one is two-way and the other isn't.  Either it allows it or it doesn't.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Wow this thread has been ressurected twice in 2 years+, each after a year intervale Wink
As JustynThyme pointed out, in fact all Telephaty allow for two-way communications now as of the Rule Compendium, so this should put it to rest for good...

RC 316 Telephaty: Telepathy allows for two-way communication. 

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Good evening I do not know English well I wish not understand my question. I play shardmind and my best friend is the narrator and we have strongly disagreed and only here from the official site will accept the answer. shardmind can pick and choose who you're talking telepathically; When I talk to people listen; personally finds it silly to not be able to choose with whom communication.Sorry again for the way you wrote your understanding.