5/24/2010 Feature: "Frontier Magic"

37 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Feature Article, which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Magic: the Board Game. I've been trying to perfect a similar variant I had made; the major differences being that an 8x8 board is pre-established, you play lands normally from your hand, diagonal moves count, creature abilities like landwalk apply normally, you can tap lands you own for mana like in regular Magic, creatures can be summoned to land spaces you own, your own life total would be entrusted to a special starting player token, planeswalkers can move, and cards like Armageddon and Dryad Arbor still worked. It was more along the lines of Dungeon Dice Monsters and Chess than this, which is more along the lines of Reversi and Treasure Hunt. I'm glad I don't have to think of ways to fix my format, for I can now simply use this one.
BZPower.com
Frontier Magic reminds me of the DragonBall Z TCG.  I was the only person I knew of who even heard of that game.  I did get a foily Goten in my first pack. 

I wish I had more friends that played Magic.  Id like to try this, but the only person I know who plays doesnt play much.   FNM is mostly out because of stupid work.  Oh well, theres always MTGO.
Frontier Archenemy Planechase Vanguard EDH.  I will play it.
Wrath of God is almost an Armageddon in this format. I imagine White Weenie would be very powerful.

On the other hand, green gets a little knee-capped; every colour has the same ability to mana-ramp.

Can you imagine Bitterblossom in this format? (shudder)
I like the sound of this format but certain decks would just be so much more suited to it than others. Small creatures are essential. A few large/X-mana spells for when you get enough creatures out would work well. Maybe a goblin deck with 4 fireballs or something similar would be optimal.

In any case, I think it'd be fun to sidestep all those issues by having each player draw a spell by drafting each turn. Maybe combine this with Winston or 'Zeddemore' draft.

boardgamegeek.com/thread/524572/zeddemor...

The lack of necessary deck construction would also make it more like a traditional board game.

Or maybe even have a system whereby mana doesn't deplete (maybe handing out counters each turn to represent mana) and then that same mana is used to bid on a card each turn. The rule changes might be:

- Mana does not deplete
 - PLayers start with 0 cards in hand
 - Use a communal deck.
 - during everyone's first turn, the 'draw' phase is skipped. This would let everyone gain 1 mana and move their guy.
 - Thereafter, instead of a normal draw, the top card of the communal library is revealed and - starting with the active player - players may bid any amount of mana for the privilege of adding that card to their hand. 0 is a valid bid and the mana paid can be of any colour - colours' values do not differ. Casting spells would require that much mana to be paid on top of the 'drawing cost'.

2 alternatives may be to start each player with a small amount of mana (<=3) and/or instead of just revealing the top card, reveal the top 3, allowing the winning bidder to choose any 1 of those cards.
How do you win? The article doesn't say.
I also think they should have an example card for landhome, just in case people don't know what it is.

Sig
Disclaimers
My initial responses to rules questions are usually just answers. If you want an explanation as to why, say so. Just because it says I'm there, I'm not necessarily there. I leave my browser open so I don't have to reload ~30 tabs. Anyone who wants to text duel me through either PM or chat can just PM me with a format (and a time if playing through chat). I don't play standard.
# Card Blind Hall of Fame
3CB
3CB #1 (1/30/11): Won by silasw, with Mishra's Factory, Orzhov Basilica, Vindicate. 3CB #2 (2/13/11): Won by Vektor480, with Mishra's Workshop, Ensnaring Bridge, Scalding Tongs 3CB #3(2/20/11): Joint win between defuse, with Saprazzan Skerry, Scalding Tongs, Energy Field; and Mown, with The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Inkmoth Nexus, Sheltered Valley 3CB #4(3/13/11): Won by Mown, with Keldon Megaliths, The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Boros Garrison 3CB #5(3/20/11): Won by silasw, with Black Lotus, Channel, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
5CB
5CB 1 (3/6/11): Won by Maraxus-of-Keld, with Tropical Island, Thallid, Nether Spirit, Daze, Foil
quotes
56819178 wrote:
So, how would I use a card that has a large in the top half and "sui?l? -- pu?? ?is?q" across the middle?
57031358 wrote:
99113151 wrote:
Winning is not important if: 1. You win by a blowout. 2. You pay billions of dollars in cards to win. If you like wasting money just to win one game, while you could have saved it to lose a few and end up winning more in the future, then it is fine by me.
what? do you ceremonially light your deck on fire after a win?
57169958 wrote:
Or did no one notice Transmogrifying Licid before. (And by not notice, I mean covered their ears and shouted LA LA LA LA )
57193048 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
Hmmm... I think the most awkward situation at the moment is simply the Myr Welder / Equipment / Licid / Aura craziness, but I'm pretty sure he's aware of it.
If the most awkward thing going on right now involves Licids, I declare victory.
56287226 wrote:
We regret to inform you of Trevor Kidd's untimely demise in an unfortunate accident involving a mysteriously blown breaker box and a photophobic creature of unknown origin at his home near Renton, Washington. We at the Wizards Community apologize for any inconvenience or delay, and assure you we'll be preparing a replacement to assume his duties as soon as we finish warming up the cloning vats.
[02:47:46] It doesn't merely "come out of suspend" - you take the last time counter off, and then suspend triggers and say "now cast that! CAST IT NOOOOOW!" [02:47:49] Because suspend has no indoors voice
[10:11:33] !opalescence [10:11:33] Opalescence {2WW} |Enchantment| Each other non-Aura enchantment is a creature with power and toughness each equal to its converted mana cost. It's still an enchantment. · Reserved,UD-R,Vin,Leg,Cla,USBC [10:11:51] *sigh* [10:12:10] Otecko: Do you have a question about Opalescence? [10:12:17] sure [10:12:23] $10 on humility interaction [10:12:25] :P [10:12:29] :D [10:12:47] humility + opalescence put into play by replenish
Ego
58325628 wrote:
Mage is awesome, BTW.
56967858 wrote:
Dear Mage24365, You are totally awesome. Thank you so much. I hope you are able to dine in Paradise without kicking the bucket to actually get there, and that every dollar you ever make magically becomes two more.
58158398 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
I don't think there are any cards like that. There are things that prevent you from activating activated abilities, things that increase their cost, and things that counter them, but I don't think anything triggers from them specifically. There are things that trigger from targeting, so that might be relevant, but I can't think of anything that triggers from targeting a player. I'm almost positive there's nothing that triggers from damage being prevented.
Rings of Brighthearth; Dormant Gomazoa; Samite Ministration.
56761258 wrote:
Well played.

It's implied that you attack your opponent as if they were a creature. I don't think the starting row counts as anything on the battlefield - meaning you can't play a bunch of artifacts to defend yourself.
The thing I don't understand is what you do if you cast a creature spell, but have no room in your starting row, wether filled with artifacts/enchantmens, or just other creatures. What happens if you summon six tokens at once? Does the last disappear? Does it go into waiting mode until the row is clear? Is it placed in front? Is a new column added just for the new creature?

This opperates a lot like MTG Battlegrounds for the Xbox, only you have control over everything and obviously the mana's different. I would love to see another Magic game that looks more like this.

I went through the keyword list and found some more keywords that would be reworded. I'm unfortunately too lazy to put them into proper game terms, though.

Show
Defender - Creature can't move beyond the first row, but it can move into it from the starting row.

Exalted - It only triggers if you declare exactly one attack.

Fear/Intimidate - Creatures with fear/intimidate may move through other creatures that couldn't normally block them as if that space said "move again in the same direction."

Flying - I just add that creatures can't fly over other creatures with flying or reach.

Hideaway - Whoever flipped the card looks at and chooses from the top four cards of his or her own library. Whoever controls the land may activate its ability (so long as the requirements are met)

Horsemanship - Instead of moving, a creature with horsemanship "charges" three spaces in one direction. If the creature hits another creature, it will stop and attack that creature during the combat phase with +X/+X until end of turn, where X is the number of spaces it moved this turn.

Landfall - Whenever a land is flipped, it is considered to have entered the battlefield under control of the player whos creature is on it. If the land is scouted, then it entered the battlefield, but not under anyone's control. Controversely, if you scout a land, it counts as playing a land for anything that checks such as Burgeoning or Jokulmorder.

Ninjutsu - Note that creatures can't attack empty spaces.

Phasing - Creatures may not move into spaces that a phased out creature was in.

Provoke - I don't know what to do for provoke. Creatures already have it in this format.

Rampage - The creature may attack again with +X/+X, where X is their rampage #.

Reach - Creatures with Reach may not be passed by creatures with flying.

[c]Hill Giant[/c] = Hill Giant [c=Hill Giant]That guy[/c] = That guy [[ b][/b]c]Hill Giant[/c] without the space = [c]Hill Giant[/c] [mc]123456789[/mc] = [mc]wubrg[/mc] = [mc]TQxyzS[/mc] = yz [mc](W/U)(U/B)(B/R)(R/G)(G/W)[/mc] = [mc](2/W)(2/U)(2/B)(2/R)(2/G)[/mc] =
Questions...

1) How am I supposed to win a frontier match?
2) What am I gonna do with cards like Rampant Growth ??
3) Control decks, especialy non-creature control ones, will not summon any creatures. I would never want to use a Merrow Witsniper just to get the mana I want. What should I do? (Same goes for Dread Return or Living Death Decks). Do I still earn My Token?! Such tactics deserve something like that....!!
Questions...

1) How am I supposed to win a frontier match?
2) What am I gonna do with cards like Rampant Growth ??
3) Control decks, especialy non-creature control ones, will not summon any creatures. I would never want to use a Merrow Witsniper just to get the mana I want. What should I do? (Same goes for Dread Return or Living Death Decks). Do I still earn My Token?! Such tactics deserve something like that....!!

1) The article says:
"Players of Frontier Magic will find they already know most of the rules; you'll cast spells, tap creatures, and try to reduce your opponent to 0 life just like in the regular Magic game."
 It also states how to attack your opponent with a creature so attack him/her from 20 to 0 or use spells to do so and you win.
 2) & 3) The article says to make up rules on the fly if need be and that some cards are just not fun to use in this format. (Armageddon for example) I would say Rampant Growth would reveal a land card of your choice as long as there still are any, if not it does nothing. (just like when you have already drawn all your land from your deck) You could also say that it allows you to shuffle your deck in addition to this alternatively you could rule that "dead cards" have cycling or something. Your point about Merrow Witsniper is not clear to me I guess you could try and use it to deck your opponent. The other two cards you mention just return creatures to the row between you and the first row of lands. Are these strategies fun in this format? I would say to try and find out. What happens when that row is full? I don't know, depends on what you and your opponent agree upon I guess.

@Dothar_Vahlin

Ok. My first question was misunderstood. My fault. Here we go again:

1) How do I attack the opponen't? From any land or by reaching the opponent's row?

2) Question answered. Thank you very much.

3) Part a) My point is... you will get to reveal a land card beyond the first of your row without summoning a creature and going to explore with it? Else, control decks are in real trouble.
    Part b) 1st turn: reveal an island, cast a Careful Study and discard a Dread Return and a Hellkite Overlord then summon three creatures with cmc and flash back the Hellkite Overlord with the Dread Return ... Could really be fun...? For me at least yeah...
I think that too many people are assuming that the summoning row has restricted space.  I think you can have any number of permanents in the space behind your first row of lands, but they are counted as not being there when an opponent is attacking from the land field.  And any creature there have to move onto the nearest open land if able, starting with non-token creatures.  Creatures on the first row of lands MUST move if there are creatures waiting to move onto the field.

Now, I'm really surprised no one has brought up planeswalkers yet.  Are you not afraid of being bonked by a Jace (either one) that is played long before your creatures could ever attack it?  Or having a line of dragons toasting you when your opponent pulls a Sarkhan to Sarkhan tag team on turn seven?  Or having an Elspeth keeping you from ever destroying your opponent's stuff again?  And Gideon can ramp his Loyalty up to untouchable without any drawback.  Just a thought.

Lastly, what are your thoughts on EDH Frontier Magic?  Should your commander be your starting creature?  If so, what should the limitations on commanders be (i.e. you can't start a game with Progenitus or Emrakul already on the board)?

My first thought about strategy: play a colorless deck, with lands that only produce colorless mana, to limit your opponent's access to appropriate mana but not your own.

1) How do I attack the opponen't? From any land or by reaching the opponent's row?

"Attacking your opponent. To attack your opponent with your creatures, first move them to the row closest to your opponent. Then they'll deal damage equal to their power to your opponent. The move doesn't tap them, but the attack does."
@Dothar_Vahlin

Ok. My first question was misunderstood. My fault. Here we go again:

2) Question answered. Thank you very much.

3) Part a) My point is... you will get to reveal a land card beyond the first of your row without summoning a creature and going to explore with it? Else, control decks are in real trouble.
    Part b) 1st turn: reveal an island, cast a Careful Study and discard a Dread Return and a Hellkite Overlord then summon three creatures with cmc and flash back the Hellkite Overlord with the Dread Return ... Could really be fun...? For me at least yeah...

1) Again from the article:

"Attacking your opponent. To attack your opponent with your creatures, first move them to the row closest to your opponent. Then they'll deal damage equal to their power to your opponent. The move doesn't tap them, but the attack does." 

So the answer to your question is that your creature needs to be on a land of the "opponent's row" if you want to attack him/her, if we are talking about something like a prodigal pyromancer you could say it's ability can only reach adjacent lands and therefore only hit your opponent ones it reaches the last row or maybe give it a range of 2 so that the ability doesn't have the same result as just attack (assuming no land bonus) or just let it hit any creature on the battlefield and any planeswalker. (player or card) The first might be more flavourful: how can you hit something in unexplored terrain? But it does raise the question of what to do with spells.

3a) you might be right about this not being a real counterdeck friendly format and the same goes for creatureless decks I guess a maximum of 2 mana from your 1/1 opening token that is going to need a lot of signets or dark ritual type cards to pull of but nobody said it would be easy to do.
b) I agree that these cards can be abused and no that is not my idea of fun either however I do believe that it is possible to put them in a deck that doesn't abuse them in a unfun way. Also my idea of fun doesn't correspond with everybody else's so you never know if there is someone out there that does find this fun to do (although they might have a hard time finding someone to play against after a few plays like that) 

I think that too many people are assuming that the summoning row has restricted space.  I think you can have any number of permanents in the space behind your first row of lands, but they are counted as not being there when an opponent is attacking from the land field.  And any creature there have to move onto the nearest open land if able, starting with non-token creatures.  Creatures on the first row of lands MUST move if there are creatures waiting to move onto the field.

Now, I'm really surprised no one has brought up planeswalkers yet.  Are you not afraid of being bonked by a Jace (either one) that is played long before your creatures could ever attack it?  Or having a line of dragons toasting you when your opponent pulls a Sarkhan to Sarkhan tag team on turn seven?  Or having an Elspeth keeping you from ever destroying your opponent's stuff again?  And Gideon can ramp his Loyalty up to untouchable without any drawback.  Just a thought.

Lastly, what are your thoughts on EDH Frontier Magic?  Should your commander be your starting creature?  If so, what should the limitations on commanders be (i.e. you can't start a game with Progenitus or Emrakul already on the board)?

Well I guess that if you find planeswalker ok to play you better have some spells to stop them in case your opponent plays them, counter, burn, or a creature ability like vampire hexmage or something else.

On the EDH thing: I never played EDH but isn't your commander in a special zone until you cast him normally? So if you would play EDH Frontier I wouldn't start with the commander in game either. The commanders you name are examples of why not, of course if you want to do it anyway some limitation in commander options might be in order, maximum cmc or something? On second thought everybody starting of with a huge commander might be fun to try just  for one game.  

Now I want to build a tribal Scout deck and play Frontier Magic with it.

@ orcishartilery

Nice thought. Gargoyle Castle , Mana Vault , Phyrexian Colosus and Affinity cards can give you a great advantage...

By removing lands from your deck you are very vulnerable to Dimir Decks. At first the opponent draws 7 cards out of 40 (max) which leaves 33. Of course such a thing means that both of you and your opponents have TREMENDOUSLY INCREASED CHANCES to draw exactly the card you need. Nevertheless the game gets broken by using a Jace Beleren deck with 4 Traumatize and the cards I ALWAYS loved: Whirlpool Warrior with Plagiarize , Howling Mine , Kami of the Crescent Moon ... even Memory Sluice cound help... Many choices, literaly.

If this game came preconstructed it would be fun... but otherwise I just see way too many ways to abuse it.

There is one line from this article I truly loved.

This isn't the Pro Tour; if a card is broken, just don't use it next time.

Well I guess that if you find planeswalker ok to play you better have some spells to stop them in case your opponent plays them, counter, burn, or a creature ability like vampire hexmage or something else.

On the EDH thing: I never played EDH but isn't your commander in a special zone until you cast him normally? So if you would play EDH Frontier I wouldn't start with the commander in game either. The commanders you name are examples of why not, of course if you want to do it anyway some limitation in commander options might be in order, maximum cmc or something? On second thought everybody starting of with a huge commander might be fun to try just  for one game.  

What I meant with the EDH thing was that (in one varient of this) you use the commander as your initial scout instead of that oddling 1/1 whatever token.  And, as I said, building a deck using a massive legend specifically to abuse this varient's rule would be a little silly.  I would cap the commander's power at 4/4 and five converted mana (WUBRG creature).  So the best you could get is a Nath, or a Stonebrow, or a Scion of the Ur-Dragon, or something like that.  Me?  I would play a Captain Sisay deck Wink  And the first creature I would fetch?  Akroma Cool
A picture would have been nice. The land set up was a little bit confusing. "Left to Right in Columns of 5"? So, that's just 5 rows, right? 5 rows of 8-10 lands or so, with the extras discarded so you have an even grid?
Less confusing than Columns Left to Right.

Anyway, sounds interesting, but way too easily abused. 
I was inspired by the article and came up with this Cool

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
Dude have you ever tested that? it could be really embarrassing if you haven't. in other words I test your decks in at least a couple of games before I say anything about them.

"Terrain bonuses. Untapped creatures get a +1/+1 bonus if their color matches the color of the surrounding terrain."

"Keep in mind that just in like in regular Magic, your attacking creatures get tapped."

"If there are a number of islands there, don't let your opponent get a blue creature there, because terrain-pumped attacks on you really hurt."

These seem to be in contradiction. An attacking creature is tapped, so it doesn't get a terrain bonus, so why should I be afraid of extra damage that doesn't exist. (Of course an untapping Twiddle could hurt, but that's on part with a Giant Growth anyway.)

A picture would have been nice. The land set up was a little bit confusing. "Left to Right in Columns of 5"? So, that's just 5 rows, right? 5 rows of 8-10 lands or so, with the extras discarded so you have an even grid?
Less confusing than Columns Left to Right.

Anyway, sounds interesting, but way too easily abused. 

Seriously, I have no bloody idea what's going on here. I'd love to try a MTG variant, but this just seems overdone. 
Proud member of C.A.R.D. - Campaign Against Rare Duals "...but the time has come when lands just need to be better. Creatures have gotten stronger, spells have always been insane, and lands just sat in this awkward place of necessity." Jacob Van Lunen on the refuge duals, 16 Sep 2009. "While it made thematic sense to separate enemy and allied color fixing in the past, we have come around to the definite conclusion that it is just plain incorrect from a game-play perspective. This is one of these situations where game play should just trump flavor." - Sam Stoddard on ending the separation of allied/enemy dual lands. 05 July 2013

"Terrain bonuses. Untapped creatures get a +1/+1 bonus if their color matches the color of the surrounding terrain."

"Keep in mind that just in like in regular Magic, your attacking creatures get tapped."

"If there are a number of islands there, don't let your opponent get a blue creature there, because terrain-pumped attacks on you really hurt."

These seem to be in contradiction. An attacking creature is tapped, so it doesn't get a terrain bonus, so why should I be afraid of extra damage that doesn't exist. (Of course an untapping Twiddle could hurt, but that's on part with a Giant Growth anyway.)

Keep in mind this was made about 13 years ago (landhome is a big hint). Errors were much more abundant back then.
Try "Attacking creatures and untapped creatures get +1/+1 if their color matches a color the land they're on could produce. They recieve an additional +1/+1 for each surrounding land they also match."
[c]Hill Giant[/c] = Hill Giant [c=Hill Giant]That guy[/c] = That guy [[ b][/b]c]Hill Giant[/c] without the space = [c]Hill Giant[/c] [mc]123456789[/mc] = [mc]wubrg[/mc] = [mc]TQxyzS[/mc] = yz [mc](W/U)(U/B)(B/R)(R/G)(G/W)[/mc] = [mc](2/W)(2/U)(2/B)(2/R)(2/G)[/mc] =
Try "Attacking creatures and untapped creatures get +1/+1 if their color matches a color the land they're on could produce. They recieve an additional +1/+1 for each surrounding land they also match."

Alternately, "Attacking creatures and untapped creatures get +1/+1 if their color matches the corresponding basic land type(s) of the land they're on..."

Wow. I like this idea. I'm surpied that already they have another Magic spin-off game after they told us about Archenemy. I like Frountier more alreay, though. The concept and the theme. I would really like to play this with some friends.
Already I'm looking at ways this can be improved apon and adpated and I'm sure it will be popular.

Wow. I like this idea. I'm surpied that already they have another Magic spin-off game after they told us about Archenemy. I like Frountier more alreay, though. The concept and the theme. I would really like to play this with some friends.
Already I'm looking at ways this can be improved apon and adpated and I'm sure it will be popular.

This is not new.  It is ten or more years old.  I know because I played it -- exactly this -- eight years ago with my brother based off nearly this exact article when it was first written then.

On the other hand, I like that they brought this particular thing up again (to let newer casual players know about it).
OMG Dave Noonan from Dungeons and Dragons! Surprised 

Yeah, I remember playing this back in the early '00s, but I don't remember if I made it up or was taught it...

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

I think I have a way to make land destruction workable in frontier magic, also a way to make land searching work better, and not leave green so weakened.

Searching for land
   If you land search, you choose a land that is face down on the board and flip it over, and put a colored bead on the land to claim it. That land would untap  on your untap phase if it was taped. Also, if an opponent's creature landed on that land, he would change that bead to the opponents bead color.  example: cast Borderland Ranger, he goes into the summoning sickness row between you and the first row of lands, and you get to claim and unclaimed land by putting a colored bead on and flipping  any land over.
  If you choose a land on your opponents side of the board, your opponent can easily claim that land with a creature landing on it at a later turn.  I think this balances, with haste creatures that come into play on the board and then can tap to flip over an unclaimed land (scouting).

Land Destruction
  Have a deck of 25 lands, 5 of each basic type, and set it aside.
  If a player casts a spell that destroys target land, on a land that is face up, that land becomes unclaimed, and gets shuffled into the pile of 25 lands, 5 lands of each type, the destroyed land is replaced by a new land.  The new land is placed face down, unclaimed in the same spot of the destroyed land.
  The new land could be a swamp when flipped over, when the original was a island.  This is a more flavorful way and not so game damaging. When a land is destroyed and it is not face up, it is removed from the game, and now you have a hole in the board.  I think ..."OpenTip(event, "Armageddon")" href="...:autoCardWindow('Armageddon')">Armageddon and other land destruction spells would work under this new rule.
   I'm not sure what to do in the case of a creature being on a land that is destroyed. I'm thinking, if a creature is on a face up land that is destroyed, the creature is unaffected, and that creatures owner will flip and claim that land at the beginning of their first main phase on their next turn (as is done with the 1/1 token at the beginning of the game). If the land is face down with a creature on it, the creature is in the hole in the game board and therefore removed from the game (exiled). For this to happen, the land would have to be destroyed twice in a turn, unless there is some spell out there to cause a land to flip over.

Other Spells
  What to do about exile and comes back into the game spells, like Momentary Blink and Otherworldly Journey?  I'm thinking of having the creature re-enter the game at the summoning sickness area or any land that u "claim" that is unoccupied on the board. Perhaps, within three lands of where the creature was before the spell was cast.

Response to the Article
  Perhaps, ..."OpenTip(event, "Stalking Stones")" href="...:autoCardWindow('Stalking_Stones')">Stalking Stones is workable, if you have it claimed, activate it, and have it switch positions with another land.  This might be a way to move lands around on the board.  Then, when  your turn ends, it would be a regular land again. It then is possible for your opponent to claim it with a creature like a basic land.  Strategically, it would be risky to use. Plus if destroyed it would get shuffled into the 25 land card pool and can become something else!
  Likewise, ..."OpenTip(event, "Chimeric Staff")" href="...:autoCardWindow('Chimeric_Staff')">Chimeric Staff  could be activated moved onto the board and reactivated on a later turn.  at the least ..."OpenTip(event, "Chimeric Staff")" href="...:autoCardWindow('Chimeric_Staff')">Chimeric Staff is a blocker for when your opponent gets a creature on your last row to attack you.

I tried out a test match of the base game, you don't have much mana, only mana under your creatures, and mana that you tap a creature, to tap a un claimed land. You wont get much use out of spells over 4 mana. That leaves the game at weenie creatures. Claiming a land, with a marker, makes you able to cast the larger spells. Plus, you know which lands to untap on your untap phase.
Ops
  In my example, I used borderland ranger, when I should have used Farhaven Elf.  Borderland Ranger would just flip over a land of your choice, not claim the land.  Farhaven Elf would flip over and tap the land and you would put your "claim marker" on the land.
I have played Frontier Magic in the past, I saw it was removed in the past.  How I've waited for it to return.  It has always been my group's favored variant of all.

Yes, the memories, when Mirrodin was the latest block.  I had a Cosmic Larva, and it ate up half the board, finally I had to sacrifice it because I cannot eat up anymore of the board without choking the other creatures.  Good memories.
I have played Frontier Magic in the past, I saw it was removed in the past. 

In what way was it removed?
I have played Frontier Magic in the past, I saw it was removed in the past. 

In what way was it removed?

Removed from the website, of course, from the old Wizards-Magic site.  I couldn't find it in the past when the main Magic website changed to the way it is now.
Ah, OK :-)

Though if it was your favourite variant, shouldn't the removal from the website be a non-issue for you? You'd have surely memorised the rules...
Ah, OK :-)

Though if it was your favourite variant, shouldn't the removal from the website be a non-issue for you? You'd have surely memorised the rules...

Memorised the rules, I have.  Teaching others the rules and having them out for reference, is harder without the actual rules available.
Ah, gotcha.
  I think I have a way to make land destruction workable in frontier magic, also a way to make land searching work better, and not leave green so weakened.

[awkward land logistics]

Suppose the 'frontier' setup part were dropped completely, and replaced with something simpler:
  • The 'board' is a 5x5 (or some other size) grid.

• Lands are played normally, but placed either in the row closest to oneself or adjacent to a land one controls.

• If no square on the grid is available, the closest row may be extended laterally.

• (Some sort of vague bonus should exist should exist for controlling a land on the opponent's 'home' row.)