Training Grounds + Azorius Guildmage = Stifle?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
How viable would this be?

First turn: Training Grounds

Second turn: Azorius Guildmage

From then on out, use Azorius Guildmage's blue ability to Stifle their fetchlands, Vampire Hexmages, etc...

Would this combo be too slow to be useful (as it wouldn't actually go on until your third turn, by which time they presumably have their land situation settled), or could it potentially screw your opponent by acting as a repeatable pseudo-Stifle?
"Do not concern yourself with my origin, my race, or my ancestry. Seek my record in the pits, and then make your wager." --Arcanis the Omnipotent
Who Am I?
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png)
Before they banned the format out of existence, I was a proud supporter of Modern.

Not.

DDT will easily deal with the Guildmage or Grounds before popping the Hexmage.
Zoo doesn't really need too many lands, so by the time you've got this up Zoo will already have enough lands or will have dispatched the Guildmage.

Primary problem is that Training Grounds necessitates that you run other creatures that can benefit from it. The other problem is that creatures that become quite good with Training Grounds out are quite bad without Training Grounds being out.

Ideally we'd like cards to have some functional independence; that, or be stupidly good if you ever combo out (see Hexmage -> Depths). Guildmage is pretty bad alone, and even if you do combo out it isn't that fantastic.

Deck Critique VCL
Show
Rules Advisor Don't assume I have read any response you might have made directed toward me in a thread or post. The best method to contact me is Private Message as I will always check there upon logging on Please review the Code of Conduct or the Comprehensive Rules when in doubt. Also, please use Google for your easy-to-answer questions. Read this for a bit on game mathematics. This is information on game psychology and the infamous term "scrub." Autocard:
[c]Gifts Ungiven[/c] -> Gifts Ungiven
royk's Tradesroyk's Deck Dump
Okay, thanks for answering my question.
"Do not concern yourself with my origin, my race, or my ancestry. Seek my record in the pits, and then make your wager." --Arcanis the Omnipotent
Who Am I?
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png)
Before they banned the format out of existence, I was a proud supporter of Modern.