5/21/2010 TWTW: "Pieces of Cake"

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's The Week That Was, which goes live Friday morning on magicthegathering.com.
are we supposed to congratulate you on being able to read a deck list?
I think we are supposed to enjoy a good article and not be an unpleasant idiot. That's just my guess though. If a friend of yours won playing Jund or whatever netdeck that the kids play these day, wouldn't you congratulate him/her?
Gerry deserves an entire cake for that list. Everyone I know who played it got amazing results!
I'm more interested in the RU deck. Izzet Fish? Maybe package it will geopedes and devastating summons, and surreal memoir as an engine? Seems like it might be hard to balance the spells right for that kind of deck...
the game by game breakdown was pretty good. The polymorph matchup was pretty exciting with a lot of back and forth.

It could be just me but I think this is the best game by game breakdown I've read in awhile. I've read some of the tournament reports and the write ups on feature matches. I've read Jacob (and Ben before him) in building on a budget but this is simply better writing.
Don't be too smart to have fun

Because this is totally a column about coming up with rogue decks, right?  'Cause that's the only aspect of the game that's important and worth reading about, right?

Cats land on their feet. Toast lands peanut butter side down. A cat with toast strapped to its back will hover above the ground in a state of quantum indecision.

Come on; I read BDM's report all the way through and thought it was pretty good, which is more than I can say for most of his articles (mainly because of his typical subject matter).  Just look at it as a generic report from someone who qualified for Nationals.
I've been hearing about an "awesome new naya-type deck" for a while now and I've been looking at the deck list... and find myself wondering why the hell this is a new deck. It's naya with Vengevine. Isn't that still naya?!?!?!? What the heck? New cards get put in classic decks as they come out all the time, but no one treats the deck as a new thing. It's not a new deck. It's still naya.

Anyways, this article was pretty interesting. I didn't really understand the cake thing... if you win a PTQ and live in New York, you are required to buy cake? Or is that just your play group? Or did I miss something... should I go back and re-read? I probably just missed that one.
Anyways, this article was pretty interesting. I didn't really understand the cake thing... if you win a PTQ and live in New York, you are required to buy cake? Or is that just your play group? Or did I miss something... should I go back and re-read? I probably just missed that one.

I would suggest that if you win a PTQ, GP, or Nationals Qualifier level event that you celebrate by buying cake for your playtest group and friends. We do this in NY and I know that the Seattle crowd has adopted the tradition as well.

Couple of questions,
1. how much did you compensate the dude that scooped you into the top 8? because the next time a magic player gives up prize so that someone can go to nationals will be a first. Collusion in any form is illegal

2. If not the prize then how much did you beg for the scoop? it must be nice to be a wizards employee and be able to put the pressure on someone to scoop. Like this story seems pathetic to me but whatever I guess congrats on the con job that got you into the top 8.

I thought it was a cool story untill the end, then I asked myself if I were in this situation would I write a tourney report about it. The answer is no or right off the bat I would mention how I got to nationals and then begin the story. I mean you didn't earn it, it was given to you? I think it would be nice to go to nationals no matter how you get there, I just wouldn't brag, or feel good about how I got there if this was how I got there. You said "I finished second".........well by default.

My final question is who in the hell would go to a qualifier and not go to nationals. It's the worse tourney in terms of EV you can attend when it comes ot qualifiers. It's 30 dollars to play for a box if your not going to nationals, and you have to go x-1 or x-0-2 thats a lot of work for a 80$ box and a long day. I made top 8 last year but didn't go this year because even if I qued I wouldn't have gone. And I liked my chances of prizing. This story is ubsurd and is full of you know what.

Must be nice to have a soap box to gloss yourself BDM.

"1. how much did you compensate the dude that scooped you into the top 8? because the next time a magic player gives up prize so that someone can go to nationals will be a first."

Wrong.

Now, it may be that you're allergic to the notion of ever yielding any of your precious, precious packs and to let someone take an invite to a tournament you aren't going to attend without the promise of material reward, but it happens all the time. Sometimes it is done grudgingly and sometimes not, but either way it is something that earns respect from fellow players. Most importantly, it is absolutely allowed within the rules. Based on the rest of your post, it doesn't even seem like you actually doubt it, but just decided to be a jerk for attention's sake and...

Oh. Opps. Troll feeding. My bad.
Sign In to post comments