WOTC PEOPLE LOOK AT THIS Renown Points

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
In our season the number of people that we have show up (to DM and Play) varies between 7 and 21. Becasue of this we had some people that were playing, had to then DM.  The player, who became the new DM, wanted to the 50 renown points for the Adventurer Reward. But becasue he became a part time DM he wasn't able to get it.

WOTC People — is there a way so that the part time DM's can still get renown points even if they DM, cus most DMs I know would rather play, and DM is pretty selfless.

—Guncici
Sounds like a good post to put in the Season Review thread, which WotC reads...

For renown, the issue is really to whom you want to give the limited rewards. You could break the rules and give it to a DM, but how does that work for a player that might have earned it?

My suggestion would be as follows. For season 2, try to see if you could run a slot 0 for DMs. You could run several sessions at a time. This has the extra benefit of giving your judges better prep, as they will have played before running. Now, during those slot 0s, give each PC the equivalent (even on scratch paper) of their choice of reward card. They get to play, they get rewards, and you get DMs.

At the end of the season you could either repeat this (with season 3), which frees up rewards for more players (making players happy), or put those DMs (because they also played) in the list of people that can get rewards - the downside being they will pull rewards away from players. I would just give them "ghost" rewards for slot 0s, to be honest. The only downside is you have to run a slot 0, but I bet you can increase your judge pool nicely and maybe even get them to promote the session better (4 judges is more than you need, but maybe they will recruit some more tables or help as backup judges).

In most cases, problems can be resolved at the individual store level. Should the program grant everyone rewards? It could, but then it isn't a rewards program. It then becomes a built-in thing and the players should just get it and it could just be a paper handout. I don't know which is better, to be honest. I think that is a WotC decision based on what they want to promote - if they want to promote a competition where the more you play the more you get, then limited cards is the way to do that.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

In my store, after the players who qualified for higher-tier rewards have received their due - leftovers go to the DMs.

They accept this, especially as they're most likely going to DM Season 2, and aren't likely to spend much time on the "player" side of the screen.  YMMV. 
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

I just wanted to bring up another related issue to the renown points reward system.  The problem being that if you weren't able to attend the earliest session possible you might earn all the renown points you need to get a reward and then get nothing.  My roomate and I joined on the 5th session as my work schedule changed to allow me to attend, but by the time we joined the store only had one of the lowest renown point cards left.  Since that point there have been about 4 other people who have joined who also could not get the basic renown card.  My question is this: Will there be more of the lowest level renown cards in future seasons of encounters so that everyone can receive at least one card for their efforts?

Beyond that I am really enjoying the all the encounters, with the one exception of last weeks which was brutal.

Thank you for making encounters
Keep in mind Renown is for players.  DM's have their own rewards for running... and not just the joy of a game well run!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but...are the rewards for the DM's the exact same for DS as they were for Undermountain? Or am I misunderstanding?
Yes, Condition Cards. Each store should have also received 12 can-coozies. I know each of my DMs will be getting one, and we will decide how to award the remaining six. Each table will probably get one to give to a player at the end of the season.
How many condition card packs were per kit?  My FLGS owner hasn't mentioned anything about the cards yet, and I'm running one of the sessions out of 2-3 planned.
There should be one pack of cards for each copy of the adventure, so two per kit. The organizer instructions leave it to the organizer/venue's discretion as to when to distribute DM Rewards (at first session, last, etc).

I know my venue gave a pack to at least one DM at the beginning of the season who proved unreliable and we really wish we would have held on to the cards to give to the reliable DM that took his place.
Yes, Condition Cards. Each store should have also received 12 can-coozies. I know each of my DMs will be getting one, and we will decide how to award the remaining six. Each table will probably get one to give to a player at the end of the season.

a.k.a. the same rewards as the DM rewards program last half.

Since we all have them, I bought my judges this shirt: www.pennyarcademerch.com/pat100021.html

It ended up being pretty expensive with shipping, but the shirt is pretty classy for D&D-related swag. 

a.k.a. the same rewards as the DM rewards program last half.

Since we all have them, I bought my judges this shirt: www.pennyarcademerch.com/pat100021.html

It ended up being pretty expensive with shipping, but the shirt is pretty classy for D&D-related swag. 

I need to DM at your store!
The Condition Cards that were out of date before we got them from the DM Rewards program... let alone the continued attempt to get rid of the stockpile by chucking them at DD Encounters DMs...

If they were updated, sure, but they aren't...

Hopefully we will get something actually useful soon...

@RCanine;
We need more TO's like you!
Sign In to post comments