Known Bugs in WER

29 posts / 0 new
Last post
This is a list of known issues in WER.  The hope is to keep an ongoing list of issues so that we can all be aware of them and be prepared to deal with them when they occur.  This list is also used as a place for our VCL (Wolfstar76) to point Wizards to when giving his weekly update.  If you know any issues that are not listed here please let us know by posting.

Anyone experiencing bugs in WER should report them using the Customer Service Tool.  Reports should be sent regardless of whether the bug is on this list or not.  All such reports should be sent with your .dat file which can be found by following these directions.  You will notice that some of these issues do not have enough data for Wizards to fix at this time.  This is because they haven't received enough .dat files to pin point the problem.  Please send in you .dat files so that WER can be improved and made into an better program.

To download the most current version of WER, read articles about WER, or learn about the latest advances go to:  www.wizards.com/wer

Please Note:  This thread is for listing known issues and not for discussing the fixes.  When relevant, I will link to the appropriate thread with work-a-rounds.

Current Bugs:

-Exporting a tournament to another computer causes a failed upload (Scheduled Fix = late July)
-Entering one DCI # results in entering a different player 
-Combine event not transferring data (Scheduled Fix = November)
-Export throwing error (Still pending)
-Tournaments Appear Twice (Insufficient data to fix at this time)
-WER randomly changes from single elimination to swiss pairings. (Insufficient data to fix at this time)
-Reporter doesn't pair properly with less than 8 players/teams.
-Standings for Playoff rounds are not calculated properly.
-Formerly suspended players may not be unsuspended in WER when the time comes.
-Combining Events causes the Standings Tab to not show up.
-Combining Events can cause errors and an inability to upload.
-Independent T.O.s can no longer use WER (go here for a workaround)

Former Bugs

-Tie-Breakers don't work properly (Fixed)
-Slow local database (Fixed unless your Local Player Database is over 10,000 people)
-D&D Encounters adventure not ported over (Fixed = Sep. 2010)
-Object reference error (Fixed = Sep 2010)
-WER Freezes at splash screen for 5-45 minutes (Fixed)
-Cannot print Seatings or Pods prior to pairing round 1 (Fixed by multi-print feature)
-No Done button in Post event entry (Partially Fixed:  click on a different tab and click back)
-WER pairs players by tie-breakers (Fixed = Dec. 2010)
-WER lags during peak usage times. (Fixed = April 2011)
-Offline functionality is no longer working. (Fixed May 2011)
-Top 8 playoffs do not pair properly when doing limited events. (Fixed = May 2011)

Missing Features:

-Ordered Pairings 
-Composite Standings
-Ability to Delete Tournaments
-Cross-Pod Pairing
-Bug Reporting Feature in the Software itself
-Fixed seating for players with special needs

Formerly Missing Features

-Select Random Player/Table (Fixed = Sep. 2010)
-Penalty Tracking (Fixed = July 2010)
-Round Clock (Fixed = July 2010)
-Ordered Cut Slips (Fixed = May 2011)

FAQ
My Tournament Won't Upload
Unrecognized DCI# in /eventupload/event/@coordinator

This issue is cause by the wrong coordinator being logged in.  You have to be logged into WER as the T.O., not as yourself.

To fix this problem, Log Out and Log In the correct T.O. and then try the upload again.

Alternatively, you could take a preemptive strike approach and not manual put the sanctioning number in.  Instead click the button "Select sanctioned event" if the sanctioned event is not there, then the wrong person is logged in.  Log them out and log in the correct T.O.

Last Edit: June 9, 2011
~James Fields T.O. & Judge. Check out the New Tournament Organizer's Handbook.
If you run a tournament on one computer, export it as a .WER file, and then import it onto another computer, it is not possible to upload the results in the usual way. Instead you must send the .XML file to CS for manual data entry.
DCI Level 2 Judge WPN Advanced TO RPGA Herald-Level GM
Added.

Why would you want to do that?
Why would you want to do that?

one reason wound be: if the computer at the location where you ran the tournament is a desktop computer and the location has no internet connection.

another would be: the network card quit working in the computer that you normally run tournaments on, and you have to do this workaround until you can get a new network card.

lots more possibilities, but you get the idea.

another would be: the network card quit working in the computer that you normally run tournaments on, and you have to do this workaround until you can get a new network card.

lots more possibilities, but you get the idea.

i've had that happen to me...

ThorvaldHafgrimsson wrote:
Life is full of choices. Sometimes you make the good ones, and sometimes you have to kill all the witnesses.
NastasiaLorn; wrote:
But then you have to pay the liability insurance.
A note about character and world creation
Show
Character and world creation are a form of expression. The point is that some people don't have much to say...
57949688 wrote:
Why doesnt anyone ever sig my qoutes!?
On the subject of who post in the Off-Topic Tavern:
57131438 wrote:
most of them are bored, immature adults.
Offical troller of the House of Trolls
Cannot print out pod lists (which we use for seating) before round 1 is paired.
Added.
Added an FAQ entry for /eventupload/event/@coordinator since we've had three threads on this topic and fixed some grammar in the opening paragraph.
Dropped players being paired.

I had several people leave before the end of the 3rd round and selected the box to "drop" them on the results entry page.  When I created pairings for the 4th round three players out of five that were dropped showed up in the pairings.

I had to re-drop the players from the players tab even though they showed as dropped in the previous round.  I then had to edit the pairings so that no dropped players were paired any more.

WER version 4.05.256
on Windows Vista 64

I'll be submitting this to customer service as soon as I'm on the computer that had the issue so that I can upload the log files.  I wanted to share this here to see if anybody else has encountered this issue.
How to report a bug in Wizards Event Reporter Software (WER)

Show
If you encounter a bug in the Wizards Event Reporter, it would be most helpful to have a report on the issue.

To better determine the cause of the bug, it would be helpful if you would attach three WER files:
- reporter.log
- updater.log (The software might create this file - if you are unable to locate it, this is fine.)

The path for those files is:
XP: C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Wizards of the Coast\Event Reporter\logs
Vista: C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Wizards of the Coast\Event Reporter\logs

The other file needed is:
- TournamentData.dat (The software might not create this file, or it may be listed as TournamentData).

The path for this file is:
XP: C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Wizards of the Coast\Event Reporter
Vista: C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Wizards of the Coast\Event Reporter

If you are unable to use the path for these files, please use the search function in Windows.

• Click “Start”
  • Then mouseover the “Search” option.
  • Click “For Files or Folders”
  • Enter each file name and click 'search'
  • Right-click on the file and save a copy of the file to your desktop.
  • Now you are ready to submit your bug.
To submit your bug please submit the information here.

I personally have not experienced this issue, but I'll add it to the list.
I have been having the exact same issue as BrianF and was just coming to post it.
Brian & Amanda,

A new patch came out for WER today that fixes a bunch of stuff.  Let me know if you still experience issues with dropped players being paired.  I think they fixed it, but I'm not certain.  It looks like they've fixed a bunch of the issues revolving around dropped players, and that weird issue where putting in someone's DCI # would result in someone else being enrolled in the tournament. 
Since the patch today I haven't been able to use WER without lots of errors, but that may be do to the server maintenance they said they were doing earlier today.  I'll see what happens with tomorrow nights FNM.

Show
If you encounter a bug in the Wizards Event Reporter, it would be most helpful to have a report on the issue.

To better determine the cause of the bug, it would be helpful if you would attach three WER files:
- reporter.log
- updater.log (The software might create this file - if you are unable to locate it, this is fine.)

XP: C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Wizards of the Coast\Event Reporter\logs
Vista: C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Wizards of the Coast\Event Reporter\logs

- TournamentData.dat (The software might not create this file, or it may be listed as TournamentData).

XP: C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Wizards of the Coast\Event Reporter

If you are unable to use the path for these files, please use the search function in Windows.

• Click “Start”

That's disconcerting.  I did a practice run on it with no issues.   Hmmmm... we'll have to see after FNM I guess.
As of this afternoon I'm having no problems with WER.  I opened the program and it updated again and its now working like normal.

Show

- reporter.log

• Click “Start”

I'm guessing they reversed the patch, because when I fired up WER for FNM tonight there were no updates pending--and I haven't updated it in quite some time.
DCI Level 2 Judge WPN Advanced TO RPGA Herald-Level GM
In the few times I've run the software since the update, it seems like it is pairing the winners at the lower table numbers and then putting everybody at tables equivalent to their standings.  Is this what you guys have observed as well?  If so, I'll fixe the main entry of this thread to reflect this change.
First, it's a pain to sign up for this site.

Second, for the issue of Event Reporter locking up when launching the program. I'm no programmer, but this works in a batch file:

ipconfig /release
start /d "C:\Program Files\Wizards of the Coast\Event Reporter" Reporter.exe
ipconfig /renew

You'll have to point it to the Reporter executable for your computer (I think the above is the default), and you will receive errors when starting that it cannot connect to the updater. I've tried editing the config files to not look for updates, but no luck. This will hang the network long enough to launch with no issues, then it will connect back to Wizards in about 20 seconds. Two errors, plus clicking OK to connect, but much better than waiting 45 minutes to even open.

Hope that helps
-Joey
First, it's a pain to sign up for this site.

Second, for the issue of Event Reporter locking up when launching the program. I'm no programmer, but this works in a batch file:

-Joey

Joey,

This website can take a little getting used to, but when you learn where everything is it's not so bad.  If you have any questions about how to navigate on here, let us know.

Thanks for your input.  It looks like they've fixed it on their end with the update yesterday.  If they didn't, please let me know so I can edit the first post, and let Wizards know via the Customer Service Tool so they can get it fixed.  If you ever locate a problem like this, I highly encourage you to report that problem to Customer Service.  Your input could result in these issues being resolved in days rather than months.  Smile

Hey Folks,

I talked to Wotc today and discussed many of the WER bugs.  I have been told that they are aware of several of the issues on our list but they have not received any .dat files for those issues.  Without those files it is possible for them to find the specified issue and fix it.  Anyone experiencing bugs in WER should report them using the Customer Service Tool.  All such reports should be sent with your .dat file which can be found by following these directions.  

Thanks,
hi development team,

it would be very great if the WER would contain a function that is able to export the standings and results after each round of a tournament as a csv-file.
data from csv-files may easily be read by other programs or scripts (like php) and it would help TOs to use these date e.g. to compute league tables.

greetings,
jan.
hi development team...

Unfortunately, the Dev Team does not usually read the forums.  The way they keep up on bugs and missing features is by reading the e-mails that T.O.s & Judges submit to them using the online Customer Service Tool.  Just Select "WPN Organizers -- WER Issues" and submit you suggestions/comments to them using that form.

Hope that helps,
ok, thanks for your answer.
i have posted my issue at the customer service tool.

jan.
ERROR: unexpected token when importing local player database: 
'alessandro' is an unexpected token. Expecting white space. Line 1, position 28418.

SOLUTION: I opened the tournament file in Notepad and searched for "alessandro." A player's name was saved as D"alessandro. " is used to create breaks, so it didn't parse properly. I corrected it to D'alessandro, saved, and imported successfully.

This has been reported via the Customer Service tool, I simply wanted to document the error and provide a solution for anyone experiencing a similar problem. 
Level 2 Judge.
Hi,

where I can find a solution for this problem :

Entering one DCI # results in entering a different player

Many thanks in advance

Anakin1979
My DCI password wont work, and I dont recieve an email to change it. DID I GET HACKED? what do I do? call customer service? HELP!
Greetings...

This is to report an undocumented feature (non-feature) in WER.
It is noted that we can enter the name of a tournament into WER that only the user sees.

However, regardless of the name that is entered into WER for the name of the tournament, it always changes to the default name of the tournament. Even when changing the name of the tournament with WER, upon the next synch, it always changes the name to the default name.

(This makes it particularly difficult to see what type of tournaments are being held if several tournaments of different types are scheduled close together; we would like to use the "name of tournament" to help us quickly identify the different tournaments that are being held.)

Until that time... 
Hello,

I and a couple TOs I know are experiencing a bug I don't see anywhere in the known bugs.
The Penalties tab disappear at some point of the tournament. Just minutes ago My friend and I discovered it was linked somehow to entering the judges in the first tab. No more clues. If any of you have ideas or solution it would be great. 

About half the people in my LGS's current tournament have lost their DCI numbers to a group of people in Great Britain.

Biggest issue about this : Their names changed in the middle of round 2, The DCI number no longer belongs to them, but to someone else.

I recall at one point if a DCI number was already taken, a player could not register with it, i'd assume that's what the bug is.

Sign In to post comments