Ranger/Cleric, or How to Bowl With Arrows

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've seen a bunch of ranger/cleric builds around here, and this is a fun build that let's you knock bad guys all over the map, while healing like a champ.  (Oh noes, a ranger build without attacks on the run!)

Show

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
level 16
Elf, Cleric|Ranger, Battlefield Archer
Hybrid Ranger: Hybrid Ranger Fortitude
Hybrid Talent: Ranger Fighting Style
Ranger Fighting Style: Archer Fighting Style (Hybrid)
Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Bow)
Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Holy Symbol)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 12, Dex 24, Int 9, Wis 20, Cha 11.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 11, Dex 18, Int 8, Wis 14, Cha 10.

AC: 31 Fort: 24 Reflex: 28 Will: 27
HP: 99 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 24

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +12, Perception +20, Nature +20, Acrobatics +19

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +7, Bluff +8, Diplomacy +8, Dungeoneering +13, Endurance +8, Heal +13, History +7, Insight +13, Intimidate +8, Religion +7, Stealth +14, Streetwise +8, Thievery +14

FEATS
Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 2: Versatile Expertise
Level 4: Weapon Proficiency (Greatbow)
Level 6: Weapon Focus (Bow)
Level 8: Spirit Talker
Level 10: Mending Spirit
Level 11: Healer's Implement
Level 12: Hobbling Strike
Level 14: Staggering Strike
Level 16: Lethal Hunter

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Sacred Flame
Hybrid at-will 1: Twin Strike
Spirit Talker: World Speaker's Command
Hybrid encounter 1: Exacting Utterance
Hybrid daily 1: Hunter's Bear Trap
Hybrid utility 2: Invigorating Stride
Hybrid encounter 3: Disruptive Strike
Hybrid daily 5: Weapon of the Gods
Hybrid utility 6: Divine Favor
Hybrid encounter 7: Thundertusk Boar Strike
Hybrid daily 9: Blade Barrier
Hybrid utility 10: Knights of Unyielding Valor
Hybrid encounter 13: Remorse (replaces Exacting Utterance)
Hybrid daily 15: Confounding Arrows (replaces Hunter's Bear Trap)
Hybrid utility 16: Word of Vigor

ITEMS
Duelist's Bow Greatbow +4, Healer's Earthhide Armor +3, Magic Holy Symbol +3, Bracers of Archery (heroic tier), Healer's Brooch +3, Avalanche Boots (heroic tier), Gauntlets of the Ram (heroic tier)

Highlights:

• You have twin strike, so your dpr is ranger quality.  Buff yourself with both weapon of the gods and divine favor for more dpr fun.

• You have two encounter power heals, plus word of vigor, and if divine favor isn't that hot for you, you can switch it out for bastion of health.

• Most of your cleric powers are secondary, so don't worry about hitting with those. (sacred flame is just for when a party member is about to die to petrification, etc...)

• Set up a blade barrier next to a wall, then stand your 4 knights next to it so monsters can't leave.  Then push enemies into your blade barrier repeatedly with hobbling strike/staggering strike.  Something like (not to scale):

WWWWWWWWWWW
XXXXXXXBBBBBBBBBW
XXXXXXXXXXKKKKKKW

It's even better when you stick your defender on the edge of the knights.  The monsters will be screaming, "Can't...get...out...slowed...and pushed...in difficult...terrain...ow ow ow..."
I've been playing something very similar to this the last few months in LFR.  He's level 7 now.  I grabbed the shaman feats first and took Moment of Glory and Spitting Cobra instead of your options.  Moment of Glory is insanely powerful at low levels and Spitting Cobra gives a lot of extra attacks.  I grabbed Divine Glow to give myself an option in case I get swarmed and took Biting Volley at level 7, Bastion of Health at 6 and Begin the Hunt at 2.  Really enjoyable to play.
Yeah, the best thing about a ranger/cleric is how versatile they are, and how many good options there are for every level.  It's really difficult to make a bad one, because as long as you have twin strike you're fine.  I don't think my build is the best ever, I just really like pushing on a ranged character, so this is a lot of fun for me. 

I dig moment of glory, and if I were going to be the main healer I'd get that at L1, though once I hit L5 I'd retrain out of that, since weapon of the gods is really neat when paired with twin strike spam.  This is more built for dpr, and can be adjusted for main heals if needed.  (Remorse plus twin strike plus bladebarrier plus pushing/slow being the main combo).

Hey guys,

I have been tooling around with a Ranger|Cleric hybrid (and a fast zap before that) for a long time. Here is what I have settled on for my character. I am currently at 11 but I statted it out to 16 for comparison purposes. I do great damage, rarely get hit and have 4 minor action heals for an encounter. I have tried several builds and this one is the most fun so far. I finally buckled to frostcheese ;) Oh this guy is the scout/trap guy too so the background and skill choices reflect that. Gear was picked for 16ish level.

Rook , level 16
Elf, Ranger|Cleric, Battlefield Archer
Hybrid Ranger: Hybrid Ranger Reflex
Ranger Fighting Style: Archer Fighting Style (Hybrid)
Background: Luskan (Luskan Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 13, Dex 22, Int 9, Wis 22, Cha 18.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 12, Dex 16, Int 8, Wis 16, Cha 17.

AC: 30 Fort: 26 Reflex: 28 Will: 28
HP: 100 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 25

TRAINED SKILLS
Perception +21, Stealth +19, Heal +19, Thievery +19, Nature +21

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +13, Arcana +7, Bluff +12, Diplomacy +12, Dungeoneering +14, Endurance +8, History +7, Insight +14, Intimidate +12, Religion +7, Streetwise +12, Athletics +7

FEATS
Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 2: Spirit Talker
Level 4: Mending Spirit
Level 6: Mark of Healing
Level 8: Versatile Expertise
Level 10: Wintertouched
Level 11: Lasting Frost
Level 12: Spirit's Eyes
Level 14: Lethal Hunter
Level 16: Hunter's Advantage

POWERS
Spirit Talker: Spirit's Prey
Hybrid encounter 1: Cause Fear
Hybrid daily 1: Moment of Glory
Hybrid utility 2: Begin the Hunt
Hybrid encounter 3: Disruptive Strike
Hybrid daily 5: Spitting-Cobra Stance
Hybrid utility 6: Bastion of Health
Hybrid encounter 7: Biting Volley
Hybrid daily 9: Attacks on the Run
Hybrid utility 10: Word of Vigor
Hybrid encounter 13: Pinning Strike (replaces Biting Volley)
Hybrid daily 15: Confounding Arrows (replaces Spitting-Cobra Stance)
Hybrid utility 16: Evade the Blow

ITEMS
Shadow Hunter Hide Earthhide Armor +3, Forceful Longbow +4, Siberys Shard of Merciless Cold (paragon tier), Freezing Arrow +1 (40), Symbol of the Holy Nimbus +2, Bracers of Archery (heroic tier), Sandals of Precise Stepping (heroic tier), Gloves of Ice (paragon tier), Eagle Eye Goggles (paragon tier), Raven Cloak +3, Belt of Vim (epic tier), Fleet Hero Tattoo (heroic tier)
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Any thoughts, comments or critiques would be great =)

Sorry, 10 extra points for stats houserule for the above character.
I find that in the right party blade barrier does more damage over time than attacks on the run.  I mean, assuming you have a 50% chance to hit, then you are going to miss on one attack, then get 2d8+3d10+mods, which might be around 40-50ish damage.  OTOH, you could upkeep a blade barrier, and everyone in your party could knock bad guys into your wall for 3d6+8 autodamage, plus 5 ongoing, so 23 free damage a hit.  Assuming you autohit at least 2-3 dudes to start off (or more if your fighter lined them up in a row with come and get it), then every push effect afterwards into your wall is additional damage.  Plus, the tactical benefit of plopping a 5 square wall into the battlefield is immense.

In our party atm, we have a ranger cleric with blade barrier, and both myself (playing a dragonborn push fighter) and the barbarian regularly dispose of enemies in his blade barrier, doing double damage since the enemies take damage entering the barrier and when they start their turns in it.  It's even better when he can get a remorse in there for the 10 vulnerable debuff.  So the initial push attack, plus entering the barrier, plus starting their turn in it is an additional 30 damage, not counting any other attacks.

Battlefield Archer is more strikerish. You can go also with seldarine dedicate, it's great (i tried it for two sessions)

Great build!

Chauntea/Lathander/Torm Cleric since 1995 My husband married a DM - καλὸς καὶ ἀγαθός

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/14.jpg)

Yeah I have been wanting to try some murder pinball with the barrier. My only concern is do you find your self missing the extra move from Attacks on the Run? I can see how the damage of the barrier can be much higher, especially with a slidy/pushy group. I may have to swap it out, but again, I am worried about losing the move from the power of AotR...especially sense many of the ranger moves are dropped when hybriding (yield ground, weave thru the fray, etc.).

I will say I do think Remorse combo sweetens the deal, I never put two and two together with that one ;)

Seldarine Dedicate is nice, I have been bouncing between Sharpshooter/beastmaster, Dedicate and BA w/ Frostcheese. If you want the extra heals and bow implement, the Dedicate is pretty sweet. Our group needs the damage so I finally stuck with BA and frostcheese.

I've been playing something very similar to this the last few months in LFR.  He's level 7 now.  I grabbed the shaman feats first and took Moment of Glory and Spitting Cobra instead of your options.  Moment of Glory is insanely powerful at low levels and Spitting Cobra gives a lot of extra attacks.  I grabbed Divine Glow to give myself an option in case I get swarmed and took Biting Volley at level 7, Bastion of Health at 6 and Begin the Hunt at 2.  Really enjoyable to play.

Spitting Cobra Stance is an immediate reaction now.  So you can only use it once per round.  Not really worth taking any more, in my opinion.  As an opportunity action power, it was great; how I imagine Legolas playing out.
Here's my variation that I'm currently playing.  This isn't meant to be a 100% optimized build; for example, I'm playing a revenant instead of a straight elf for story reasons.  My group has one of every role among the other four PCs (Fighter, Warlord, Invoker, Warlock) so I play secondary striker/secondary leader.  It often ends up the Fighter and the Warlock off on their own fighting with the warlord off-tanking and me playing support.  Some unnecessary content snipped out.

I went with assassin mostly for training in Stealth and for a couple of feats.  Killer in the Crowd really frees me up since I don't have to worry about enemy positioning when I'm lining up a shot at that distant controller.  (Plus I can hide behind big monsters and get cover from them.)  I'm eventually planning on going Raven Knight and picking up the pair of feats (Nimble Runner and Running Shot) to negate the penalties for running so I can run every round to take advantage of Shadow Rush.  Insubstantial is an amazing defensive boost, plus an effective speed of 10 and phasing?  Sign me up.

Revenant, Cleric|Ranger, Seldarine Dedicate
Hybrid Ranger: Hybrid Ranger Reflex
Ranger Fighting Style: Beast Mastery (Hybrid)
Choose your Race in Life: Elf
Beast Companion Type: Raptor

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 12, Con 14, Dex 20, Int 9, Wis 20, Cha 12.

TRAINED SKILLS
Heal +16, Acrobatics +15, Insight +16, Perception +16, Stealth +15

FEATS
Level 1: Elf Soul
Level 2: Hybrid Talent
Level 4: Shadow Initiate
Level 6: Versatile Expertise
Level 8: Lethal Hunter
Level 10: Weapon Focus (Bow)
Level 11: Paragon Defenses
Level 12: Killer in the Crowd

POWERS
Hybrid encounter 1: Fox's Cunning
Hybrid daily 1: Cascade of Light
Hybrid utility 2: Yield Ground
Hybrid encounter 3: Daunting Light (retrained to Disruptive Strike at Level 7)
Hybrid daily 5: Spitting-Cobra Stance (retrained to Weapon of the Gods at Level 9)
Hybrid utility 6: Bastion of Health
Hybrid encounter 7: Searing Light
Hybrid daily 9: Attacks on the Run
Hybrid utility 10: Mass Cure Light Wounds
Hybrid encounter 13: Mantle of Glory (replaces Fox's Cunning)

ITEMS
Bracers of Archery (heroic tier), Rebounding Longbow +2, Adventurer's Kit, Gauntlets of Blood (heroic tier), Stone of Wind (paragon tier), Elven Battle Earthhide Armor +3, Torc of Fortune +3
RITUALS
Raise Beast Companion
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

There are three reasons why I don't like seldarine dedicate:

1. You can't use greatbows.

2. Healer's implement specifically says holy symbol.

3. The extra healing seems like overkill.  A healing word, plus mending spirit, plus utilities, seems like more than enough healing.

OTOH, why battlefield archer is great:
  1. Everyone in your party gets a +1 to hit your quarry.

2. Reroll

3. Combined fire, archer's glory, quarry's bane are all neato (which is not really something you can say about seldarine dedicate.)

Besides, I'm thinking that this is a striker that can heal, not the other way around.  Stick in another pure leader like a warlord and your party will be exploding enemies like landmines.

The ranger cleric in our party never seems to need to move, since he's pretty well protected with me and the barbarian.  The sorcerer takes more damage than he does.  But then again, I'm knocking enemies off my party with a tide of iron that pushes 5 and slows, so maybe I'm biased. 

"Come and get it!  Now try getting away, since my combat challenge and opp attacks deal W+strx2+con, and push 5 and slow (at L11).  Attack me, you know you want to."

I completely understand that if your party isn't thrilled with forced movement, or the tank is less able to protect squishies, then I can understand why having a bucketload of disengaging powers would be necessary.  In my party, 3/4 of us have at will push effects, so blade barrier just seems like the better choice for us.
PERSONALLY, I'm of the opinion that the Greatbow isn't all that, well, great (pardon the pun).  It amounts to nothing more than a +1 to damage in exchange for a feat.  Yes, I'm aware it increases the range of the bow, but a longbow already has an effective range of infinite given normal encounter circumstances.  Given a choice between the two, I'd take Weapon Focus (bow) over Weapon Proficiency (Greatbow) every time.  And since my PC is already a bit feat-starved, choosing both isn't an option.  Now, if a greatbow were a +3 proficiency weapon, well, then that would be worth the feat.

However, Moonbeam is a rather unimpressive power.  Maybe it's just the makeup of my group, but I really only find it useful to set up Searing Light on an action point round (for when I've already used Cascade of Light and can't piggyback Twin Strike on top of it to trigger the vulnerable 5 twice before they even get a chance to save).  (The warlock's player likes to live dangerously and has specifically built his PC to be a "melee" warlock with battle caster defense and razordark bracers so combat advatage isn't a problem for him.  He just stands across from the fighter and uses ranged attacks anyway.  Of course, half the time he causes as much trouble for us as the monsters so the DM tends to not focus on him and pound him to death...)

The real benefits of Seldarine Dedicate are
  1. Not having to pay to maintain separate weapons and implements of comparable power.  That gold can instead be spent to get better Bracers of Archery or Gauntlets of Blood sooner, or some other item specific to your build.

2. Bracers of Archery and Weapon Focus (bow) grant their bonus damage to your Cleric powers too.  That's +3/tier more damage the Seldarine Dedicate is doing every time they throw down a cleric power, which is likely to be once or twice an encounter.

Of course, I can't argue your thought process.  You go Battlefield Archer if you're building a striker who carries around an emergency heal to save themselves if they get cornered.  You go Seldarine Dedicate if you're building a healer that can drop several dice of extra damage when the circumstances permit.  With an optimized, tactical party around them, a Cleric|Ranger/Seldarine Dedicate could very well function as the party's only Leader.
I'm on my way to bild a Winterking Eladrin Battle Cleric

Key feats

Heroic
Wintertouched
Winterkin Heritage

Paragon
Bralani Wintersoul

Lasting Frost

Epic
Winter Sovereign

Together with Raven Queen as Diety and witch brings some nice Cold Necromancer feats, and some cold weappon, with wich you can slow nock prone and petrify enemys make quide fun to play.
Sign In to post comments