5/18/2010 SF: "Trading Blows with Tools"

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Serious Fun, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
So... Toolkit achieves the same rough effect as "buy four packs then rummage through that smelly guy's extra commons"?
Yet again, Wizards somehow manages to bungle a great concept into sad disappointment.
So... Toolkit achieves the same rough effect as "buy four packs then rummage through that smelly guy's extra commons"?
Yet again, Wizards somehow manages to bungle a great concept into sad disappointment.

Although it doesn't depend on having that smelly guy available and having extra commons, which is important from Wizards' point of view.

To be honest, since I mostly play online I'm looking to this as an easy way to pick up some paper-legal staples.

I was going to write a long rant but I decided to condense it: This idea was great and the execution is terrible. This is not a toolkit but a half made deck for people who are trying to expand a collection. Even with the "themed random cards" you still need to open a bunch of boosters that will probably not contribute to the deck a lot.

Face it, you're pretty much here as a meat shield.

If you are at Georgian Court Univeristy or Monmouth Univeristy PM me. If you are out by York College of PA, I can help you reach the group there.

So wait...there's four booster packs and a bunch of commons and uncommons....Ok so what else is there? Is there a whole bunch of Zendikar extended art landos or something similar? Also is it in a hard box to keep a card collection in. Is there a 20 sided die with an unique logo?
Just curious... 
So its like several intro packs mashed together, only worse because its even more random? Damn, and I thought you guys had finally learned why we prefer theme decks to intro packs.
Great article Adam - I especially liked how you responded to feedback from the last one.

One question still remains though: is there enough land in this thing? Mono-colored decks need 24 lands as a base amount, and its important that new players start on the right foot. Forcing them to use Terramorphic Expanses or proxy Islands as Forests (or crossing their fingers and hoping to pull 4 matching basics in the boosters) just to hit the right amount of Lands simply wont do - so please tell us, how many Basic Lands do you get of each type?

I dont think this product is aimed at me, but I might go in shares with some of the newer players in my group if the price is right (here in the UK).

~ Tim
p.s. will the contents of the box rotate with Standard? For example, when Scars of Mirrodin comes out will there be a new toolkit with no Shards/M10 boosters/cards in it... or will people be stuck with out of date cards and a confusing time working out what they are allowed to use at FNM?
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
so please tell us, how many Basic Lands do you get of each type?

20.  so yes, a mono-colored deck is going to be a little low on mana, or running terramorphics to make numbers.  Personally, I don't blame them for not wanting to print 20 more land per box.  It's also worth considering that most potentially successful mono-colored strategies that don't rely on a bunch of rares can run relatively low on the curve.  White weenie, burn, sligh, the only thing that might strugle is a dedicated blue control deck, but I'm pretty sure that one of those using standard cards would be pretty weak anyway.
This is the happy swamp. Love it. I am red/blue, I think logically and act impulsively.
I think there is a demographic that this product is for and it isn't the people who already frequent the website (i.e. you and me). Not everyone knows a guy with a giant box of excess commons; or doesn't think to ask someone for free cards because they don't realize how disposible commons/lands are to people who draft a lot.

I think we could have fun with the Toolkit. Since there is supposed to be more than one possible deck in the box, it might be fun to play Sealed Deck Two-Headed Giant where a team of two players share one Toolkit. (Could you stretch it with Emperor and try to get three decks out of one kit?)
Theme decks still seem to be the way to go with new players.
Au contraire.  My nephew is really getting into Magic and this toolkit is just what he needs.  He has 3 decks already built from extras I had stored away.  With this, he can power up his decks some more, get some lands and hints on new deck building, get a couple boosters that with luck will really make him happy with a decent rare or two, and a box to keep everything in when he's not playing.  It's like the product developers sneaked a peek at his christmas list.

Also, kudos to that Sebastian boy.  At 10, he's a better player than I was at 20 :p  My nephew is also 10 and like Sebastian has a lot of enthusiasm for Magic.  We play Duels of the Planeswalkers together and like I said he has 3 decks and aside from needing to learn some patience, he's a very capable player.
Having acually rifled through a Toolkit, I'd say it's a decent buy overall.
Four packs and a good-quality cardbox is probably close to a $20 value by itself, and the piles of junk included really aren't that junky.

I'd like to repectfully withdraw my earlier "bungled" comment.  That said, however, a "starting" player is going to need at least two Toolkits to get "started".

After seeing an example of one I think this is a product I can get behind. I can see myself buying these every so often. I (generally) buy 1 box per set so there are often times I don't have 4x of each common in the set. I think I only have 4-6 lightning bolt while I could use 20-30 so for me this will be a nice product. Basically I'm getting multiples of cards that I can always use like terramorphic expanse, doom blade, pacifismoverrun, fireball, and lightning bolt. These kinds of cards I can always use more of to put in multiple different decks. Also the deckbuilder's toolkit helps me avoid useless crap like burst of speed, and angel's feather. At least it ensures that I'll get a higher frequency of useful cards.

Don't be too smart to have fun
Sign In to post comments