Dragon 387 - Bazaar of the Bizarre: Ritual Enhancements

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
DnDi_Large.png         Dragon 387
Bazaar of the Bizarre
Ritual Enhancements

By Peter Schaefer

In today's Dragon article, we get a bunch of magic items that can be used as optional foci for various rituals, and expand the powers and abilities of those rituals to greater lengths.

The elf sorcerer Ydri felt certain that his servants and allies were scheming with each other. He was not so paranoid that he believed they plotted his ruin—he had confidence in his diplomatic skills—but he wanted to be aware of their plans and hated every secret they kept from him. Long ago he created the glass eyes and began placing them all over the world. With a sorcerer’s life span, he might be looking through them still.

Talk about this article here.
387-bob-ritual-enhancements.jpg

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

Dragon 387
Bazaar of the Bizarre
Ritual Enhancements

By Peter Schaefer

In today's Dragon article, we get a bunch of magic items that can be used as optional foci for various rituals, and expand the powers and abilities of those rituals to greater lengths.

The elf sorcerer Ydri felt certain that his servants and allies were scheming with each other. He was not so paranoid that he believed they plotted his ruin—he had confidence in his diplomatic skills—but he wanted to be aware of their plans and hated every secret they kept from him. Long ago he created the glass eyes and began placing them all over the world. With a sorcerer’s life span, he might be looking through them still.

Talk about this article here.

The Tenser's Floating Disk enhancement might need clarification -- what happens if I'm riding on top of the disk affected by this enhancement? Do I get the resist 20?
Good catch.  Mention it in an errata thread, and they might clarify it before the end of the month.

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

It specifically states "objects."
Tim Eagon My DDI Articles Follow me on Twitter @Tim_Eagon
More of a problem isn't the Resist, but the "Monsters can't touch you without your express permission." Which clearly wasn't the intent, but yeah, some clarification that the protection only applies to objects would be nice. Honestly, I'd like it just not to be so absolute regardless, since that only leaves it open to abuse. Making the protection only work against lower level creatures, or allowing some sort of check to bypass it, would make it a bit more complex, but severely limit the potential for it to really disrupt a game.
Yeah, the conjuration is referred to as "Tenser's Floating Headache" at my table. At low (and even paragon) levels, the versatility of this spell is crazy. "Tenser's Floating Battletank" is just one variation.

Now, this isn't all bad, it just means that the DM has to always account for TFH in trap and dungeon design. I like the fact that it adds an element of creative thinking to the game.

This item, desperately needs errata, however. It's bad enough to have "Tenser's Floating Battletank", but do we have to sing "Ice, Ice, Baby" while we fight? :P A fair chuck of mobs (those using what 3.5 called natural weapons) can't hurt people they can't touch.

The absolute prohibition on object touching doesn't bother me all that much though. If a very powerful entity wants your stuff, they can just kill you first, then take your stuff. It's a fairly standard MO. :P 
I'd rule that the resist 20 works both ways, with the "bubble" of energy acting as a two way damage negating wall. Let's see how a player reacts when his character's big boom turns out to be more of a fizzle.
Once all grandious plans of the "Tenser's battletank" are reduced, then this ritual item can be used with the spirit in which it was intended (though Player's are a tricky and innovative breed).

I'd rule that the resist 20 works both ways, with the "bubble" of energy acting as a two way damage negating wall. Let's see how a player reacts when his character's big boom turns out to be more of a fizzle.
Once all grandious plans of the "Tenser's battletank" are reduced, then this ritual item can be used with the spirit in which it was intended (though Player's are a tricky and innovative breed).

Yeah, the problem there is when you have someone making use of powers that don't deal damage - like a pacifist cleric. Or a psion with charm powers, for that matter.