Duplication of effort

33 posts / 0 new
Last post
Is it me or is there two very similiar yet completely different RPGA-LFR forums?  One is easy to find the other is a pain in the Sealed to find.

I don't understand the multiple forums thing at all....
LFR Characters: Swordmage 20, Warlord 7, Rogue 5, Wizard 4
One is a forum created, I assume, by WotC when they started the forums. The other is a group forum attached to a group created after the fact, probably by the LFR admins. The latter seem to be fairly unpopulated and see less of the action but the admins seem to be using them for "official" stuff because their blog is attached to the group.

If possible, I would suggest that maybe the admins contact WotC about merging the two somehow. Seems silly to have both.
This is a legacy forum. The other is attached to the LFR group and it is the official one. We are trying to get the group one used more, but there are more pressing issues ;)
A sticky with a pointer would be a good start.

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

This is a legacy forum. The other is attached to the LFR group and it is the official one.

Given the ... activity ... I think you might have that backwards. :-)

A couple/few things when you -do- get to this: It is easier to get to this forum, this forum is more obvious to find, and there's a lot of history and content here that might be good to port over. The first two are simple to fix, but the third is where most of your work will be.
This is a legacy forum. The other is attached to the LFR group and it is the official one.

A couple/few things when you -do- get to this: It is easier to get to this forum, this forum is more obvious to find, and there's a lot of history and content here that might be good to port over. The first two are simple to fix, but the third is where most of your work will be.

Which is part of my, mostly unwritten, point.  These are easier to find but the admins are using the other ones.  So should we but how to get that to happen? 

Heck, I've had some forum admin experience, I'd volunteer to move the stuff.

I had not heard of this other forum site before this post, so after looking around for a couple seconds I came up with the this:

community.wizards.com/lfr/go/forum/viewb...

I hope I am posting the right link? 

It would be really helpful, if this is the correct forum for us to use, to announce it.....  Cool

Thanks!

Yes, that is the one. 

From what I've been told, it's kinda important that we use those over these...
I don't know why it is -important-. I think they'd -like- it if we did. And eventually they (being the admins) may stop reading over here.

I was told that funding is driven by traffic on that forum.  Don't remember exactly what the message said but it has to do with $ for the forum, IIRC.
Well, the obvious solution would be to merge the posts here with the forum over there, and then set it so people coming to these forums get automatically re-directed to the appropriate area.

Or, simpler, just put up a notice that these forums are closing, with a link to the new forums. People can re-start important threads from here to over there on their own. In a few weeks, actually close these forums, and re-route the links as above.

-np

LFR Characters: Lady Tiana Elinden Kobori Silverwane - Drow Control Wizard | Kro'tak Warscream - Orc Bard | Fulcrum of Gond - Warforged Laser Cleric

AL Character: Talia Ko'bori Silverwane - Tiefling Tome Fiend Warlock

It'll be interesting to see what happens. 

At the same time, this thread has seen numerous postings, however, the identical thread in the other forum is ominously quiet....
This is indeed a glitch or unintentional side effect of the new wizards community forum desigm. For a legacy idea they didn't throw out the old forums but integrated them into the new system. Problem is they also gave a forum option to the new groups.

Our idea as admins is to concentrate everything regarding LFR in the group fora which are being set up. Over time we are going to expand the group, including the wiki and hope to get everyone over there with questions. For now it is just a weird split. I will see if I can get something stickied in this forum pointing to the other forum.
As is the whole community is still beta and not in a Google way. While progression is slow, it is there so my guess would be that eventually this forum will go the way of the dodo. 

To be honest I do think however that if a push for centralization of LFR resources is truly planned getting the forums there to be the main hub for debate would go a long way. It can't be THAT hard to get this forum closed, the content moved and a detour sign applied.

To DME, or not to DME: that is the question: Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer The slings and arrows of outrageous powergaming, Or to take arms against a sea of Munchkins, And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;No more;

The other reason being that we (the globals) have full moderate control over the forum attached to the LFR group (we can delete, modify and move posts). We don't have those rights on this forum. So regardless, we cannot do much in regards to moving posts over, except using the LFR group for official announcements.

As others have said, it is not really much of a priority right now, so for now we keep using both.
As is the whole community is still beta and not in a Google way. While progression is slow, it is there so my guess would be that eventually this forum will go the way of the dodo. 

To be honest I do think however that if a push for centralization of LFR resources is truly planned getting the forums there to be the main hub for debate would go a long way. It can't be THAT hard to get this forum closed, the content moved and a detour sign applied.

FWIW, I would still volunteer my time to migrate all the content to the LFR Group Forum.  Granted I can understand them not wanting to grant forum mod rights to someone that is relatively unknown. 

The other reason being that we (the globals) have full moderate control over the forum attached to the LFR group (we can delete, modify and move posts). We don't have those rights on this forum. So regardless, we cannot do much in regards to moving posts over, except using the LFR group for official announcements.

As others have said, it is not really much of a priority right now, so for now we keep using both.

I think this forum has a few VCLs attached to it, so if you pull them together for a big transition project, I imagine you could get things done.

It is interesting considering the whole VCL, normal forums, vs group forums and moderation aspect though. 
Keith Richmond Living Forgotten Realms Epic Writing Director
I think this forum has a few VCLs attached to it, so if you pull them together for a big transition project, I imagine you could get things done.

We do. WolfStar76 is our Senior VCL for this forum; Dragon9 and I are the VCLs, and we also have pedr as a Guide (which is what Dragon9 and I were before we were promoted to VCL).
"Of course [Richard] has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives. It's 1183, and we're barbarians!" - Eleanor of Aquitaine, "The Lion in Winter"
My understanding is that the VCLs don't have moderator rights either...
I had no idea that there were seperate forums attached to the group pages, or that there was a seperate forum than this one on the LFR group page.  I knew about the blog and the wiki over there, but if the LFR admins prefer us using the new forum over there, it might be a good idea to tell people about it...
We have posted to that effect in some of the various discussions here; particularly the new rules discussions. It's easy to miss among all the various discussions here.
It's a sticky basket - we (VCLs) don't have direct moderation control of the general forums, and to date what I'm hearing is that there's no way to move content from these forums to the "Group Forums".

However - much of what's been said here has been pretty spot on.

WotC upgraded to the community site, and knew they were getting a lot of great new features - but it wasn't clear, even to them, how best to utilize many of those new features. 

One of the key things they wanted to do, during the transition, was to make sure they did *not* lose the information, or even the familiarity they'd already established in the existing foum community.

This is what lead to the existing forums remaining open - while giving WotC (and we the community members) the freedom to test out the new format and to figure out how to best leverage the new features. 

At first, this lead to not only doubling, but in some cases TRIPLING, sources of information.  A forum, A group, a smaller more specific group (The D&D Game Day group comes to mind as an example).  Unfortunately - too many groups leads to information overload, so now WotC is starting to pare back and refine their choices.  (The D&D Game Day group, I'm told, is going to be closed, and a Game Day forum made in the Dungeons & Dragons group - much like there is an Encounters forum there).

That brings us to where we are today.  Many of us are used to having these particular forums.  It's been our home for many years - and it's been the primary source of information, be it news from Tulach, myself, or the Globals.  We're in a transition right now - and one that's admittedly moving slowly. 

However, more and more of what the Globals have to say is being focued in the LFR Group.  And, frankly, because the Admins can moderate and blog there - this makes sense. 

We (the VCLs including myself) haven't made a "hard push" over to the new group yet, because we haven't been asked to yet.  I think the Globals are still getting their feet wet in the new group - making some postings, making some blog posts, and figuring out how to make the most of their group. 

Someone suggested a sticky post highlighting the LFR Group - and that's actually a really good idea.  I'll get something posted and stickied in the next couple days if one of my VCLs doesn't beat me to it (hint, hint, gentlemen ;) ).

This forum isn't in any risk of shutting down right now, mind you.  In fact, to be completely honest - as some of you likely noticed with the Living Greyhawk and other forums, I'm not entirely sure WotC has the ability to shut down specific General Forums at the moment.  I know much has changed on the backed since the new community went up, but it wasn't possible at first.

Regardless, for now, please feel free to post where you're most comfortable with - and even to give suggestions (to me, or to the Globals) on what you'd like to see more of in the new Group.  What information (wiki pages?  Blog posts?  Sticky posts?) would help draw you in that direction.

If we're heading in that direction anyway, the least we can do is make it a place you all want to be. 
WolfStar76 Community Advocate (SVCL) for D&D Organized Play, Avalon Hill, and the DCI/WPN LFR Community Manager DDi Guide

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Someone suggested a sticky post highlighting the LFR Group - and that's actually a really good idea.  I'll get something posted and stickied in the next couple days if one of my VCLs doesn't beat me to it (hint, hint, gentlemen ;) ).

NOT IT!

Too busy chasing a 15-month old around the house with a strong desire to self-destruct... or maybe a lack of a sense of mortality.  Either way, it's the same outcome.    It;s all I can do to get on the boards and be the grumpy one.
Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf
I can make the post if you can sticky it....
I'll take care of it, and see about getting it stickied. Smile
"Of course [Richard] has a knife. He always has a knife. We all have knives. It's 1183, and we're barbarians!" - Eleanor of Aquitaine, "The Lion in Winter"
I had no idea there were other fora than these until somebody posted on the LFR Yahoo! group about the starting above 1st/reward card discussions.  I still don't know how to get there other than using the bookmark that I made.

If it is a forum, it should be available when I go to the Community page and select 'Forums'.

Oh, and IMO change=bad (slightly tongue in cheeck).
Group can be found at the link below. 

community.wizards.com/go/browse/groups

and on the bottom of the left column off the LFR group home page is the link to those forums.

If it is a forum, it should be available when I go to the Community page and select 'Forums'.

Stop making sense right this instant!
I still don't know how to get there other than using the bookmark that I made.

From the forums, you can click the big link at the top of the page that says "Groups" and then select the LFR Group (it's one of the top 3 groups so it's always on the front page).

From the Main D&D website, click the bog link that says Community and in the top sidebar one of the Community links says "Living Forgotten Realms Wiki" and that takes you to the groups wiki page which you can then use the links in the left sidebar to get to the forums, etc.  I have no idea why they have a link direct to the Wiki and not the group itself.
Sorry WOTC, you lost me with Essentials. So where I used to buy every book that came out, now I will be very choosy about what I buy. Can we just get back to real 4e? Check out the 4e Conversion Wiki. 1. Wizards fight dirty. They hit their enemies in the NADs. -- Dragon9 2. A barbarian hits people with his axe. A warlord hits people with his barbarian. 3. Boo-freakin'-hoo, ya light-slingin' finger-wigglers. -- MrCelcius in response to the Cleric's Healer's Lore nerf

From the forums, you can click the big link at the top of the page that says "Groups" and then select the LFR Group (it's one of the top 3 groups so it's always on the front page).

One thing I've noticed is that the groups seem to be sorted by number of members, and the LFR group is only 8 member (last I looked) behind the Magic group.  If we can pass them then perhaps we'll be before them in the listing.

ok, ok, I'm a little bored ATM.
Heh... we used to be ahead of them.  Sadly, no longer.
I really think there has to be a way to move this content over there. It should be possible. I really don't see the reason to move over there. Sure, admins get more control... is that control really needed? Are the globals really wanting to do Wolfstar's and the other VCLs' work in addition to everything on their plates?

It makes little sense to me to lose all of this institutional history. It makes little sense to be posting in the other place but first have to search here to see if it was dealt with before. It makes no sense to tell players to go to two places. I worry that we are turning people off, yet again. Too much work and confusion and people just stop following either place.

Whatever is done, it should result in just one place where everything is located.

For me, the Groups functionality has been terrible. There is nothing "community" about them. At least Forums are what they claim to be. Groups needs a massive overhaul in functionality, starting with being able to subscribe to and be notified of changes.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

This is a legacy forum. The other is attached to the LFR group and it is the official one. We are trying to get the group one used more, but there are more pressing issues ;)

I'll be a bit nitpicky and point out that there is a section of these fora called "RPGA Legacy Forums".  It contains fora for Living Greyhawk, Mark of Heroes and Xen'drik Expeditions.
Sign In to post comments