Prismatic Omen Viability

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Within the next year or so I'm planning on getting into competitive Extend play.  The thing is, however, that I am on a budget: not for most cards, but for some of the most expensive ones, particularly the Zendikar fetch lands and the Ravnica shock lands.  From my own research, it looks like this would cut the price of an competitive Extended deck by as little as 1/3 to as much as 1/2.  This would allow me to divert my other funds into the actual meat of the deck.

Naturally, however, this will drastically effect the consistency of the deck, especially if I run three or more colors.  Now, I'm not sure exactly what kind of deck I'd want to play yet, but I've been looking into what I could do with a more budgeted land base.  Then I remembered Prismatic Omen.

Having a Prismatic Omen stick would mean that I could tap my lands for anything.  There are, however, three questions that I have pertaining to it:

1) How heavy is enchantment destruction in Extended?  I know that Sideboards are filled with cards like Ancient Grudge to deal with Affinity & friends, but is actual Enchantment destruction all that prevalent?

2) Would that lost turn 2 be all that devastating?  I understand that a lot happens turn 2, particularly Tarmogoyf, but would the tempo loss experienced by Prismatic Omen for mana fixing be that bad?

3) Would it just be simpler and easier to go for a 1-2 color deck that can get by without significant mana fixing?  I made an Extended legal Merfolk deck that can win with frightening speed (it's similar to the Legacy Legal deck that combos out half the merfolk in your deck turn 3 or 4, then attacks for 50+ damage turn 4 or 5.

I'd be very appreciative for any help that I can get on the subject.
"Do not concern yourself with my origin, my race, or my ancestry. Seek my record in the pits, and then make your wager." --Arcanis the Omnipotent
Who Am I?
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png)
Before they banned the format out of existence, I was a proud supporter of Modern.

1) How heavy is enchantment destruction in Extended?  I know that Sideboards are filled with cards like Ancient Grudge to deal with Affinity & friends, but is actual Enchantment destruction all that prevalent?

There is Qasali Pridemage, Maelstrom Pulse and EE. Most non- decks just rely on bouncing or discard to deal with problem enchantments like Blood Moon.

2) Would that lost turn 2 be all that devastating?  I understand that a lot happens turn 2, particularly Tarmogoyf, but would the tempo loss experienced by Prismatic Omen for mana fixing be that bad?

You can't play aggro and Prismatic Omen. With it you don't further your board position, nor do you disrupt your opponent, nor do you apply any pressure.

3) Would it just be simpler and easier to go for a 1-2 color deck that can get by without significant mana fixing?  I made an Extended legal Merfolk deck that can win with frightening speed (it's similar to the Legacy Legal deck that combos out half the merfolk in your deck turn 3 or 4, then attacks for 50+ damage turn 4 or 5.

Yes, yes, and yes! If you can't afford the duals/fetches, the next best alternative to being competitive is running monochrome decks.
Deck Critique VCL
Show
Rules Advisor Don't assume I have read any response you might have made directed toward me in a thread or post. The best method to contact me is Private Message as I will always check there upon logging on Please review the Code of Conduct or the Comprehensive Rules when in doubt. Also, please use Google for your easy-to-answer questions. Read this for a bit on game mathematics. This is information on game psychology and the infamous term "scrub." Autocard:
[c]Gifts Ungiven[/c] -> Gifts Ungiven
royk's Tradesroyk's Deck Dump
Okay, thanks.  I appreciate the response.
"Do not concern yourself with my origin, my race, or my ancestry. Seek my record in the pits, and then make your wager." --Arcanis the Omnipotent
Who Am I?
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png)
Before they banned the format out of existence, I was a proud supporter of Modern.