updating the TO hand book

34 posts / 0 new
Last post

Its been mentioned to me by a few others that the current Tournament Organizer handbook is out of date,and so I am planning to update it, but I need help mainly in figureing out whats out dated and what to update it to. So if your interested in help with this project please let me know.

ThorvaldHafgrimsson wrote:
Life is full of choices. Sometimes you make the good ones, and sometimes you have to kill all the witnesses.
NastasiaLorn; wrote:
But then you have to pay the liability insurance.
A note about character and world creation
Show
Character and world creation are a form of expression. The point is that some people don't have much to say...
57949688 wrote:
Why doesnt anyone ever sig my qoutes!?
On the subject of who post in the Off-Topic Tavern:
57131438 wrote:
most of them are bored, immature adults.
Offical troller of the House of Trolls
Count me in completely, let's make some really good job so we can then submit the results to DCI so the document can be in the doc center.
Advanced TO DCI Judge lvl 1
Wolfstar and I were talking about it a while back, I think we're both on board.  He suggested that we do it in a wiki so that we can all moderate it as needed.  And then, you won't need as much feedback on what is current and what is not.
~James Fields T.O. & Judge. Check out the New Tournament Organizer's Handbook.
Wolfstar and I were talking about it a while back, I think we're both on board.  He suggested that we do it in a wiki so that we can all moderate it as needed.  And then, you won't need as much feedback on what is current and what is not.

YEah,i figured we'd go to the wiki format after submiting the changes to the DCI folks,so they can put it up in the document center and with the wiki we can submit it as we needed so that folks can download it in the PDF format and have it iwth them everywhere they go.

Life is full of choices. Sometimes you make the good ones, and sometimes you have to kill all the witnesses.
NastasiaLorn; wrote:
Show
Character and world creation are a form of expression. The point is that some people don't have much to say...
57949688 wrote:
57131438 wrote:
FYI, I've begun the wiki and I'll post a link in a few days when I finish with the initial data dump.  I'm about half way through, but I won't be able to finish it tomorrow.  I suspect it'll be done by Saturday.  After that time, I'll post the link and we can go to town on fixing inaccurate data and reformatting for clarity.
The Handbook is mostly finished.  You can find it here.  Basically, I have copied the original manual over while making changes to the areas I knew were out of date.  There are likely many more areas that need updating so if you have the time and want to help out, take a breeze through the Wiki and find yourself some problems.  If you do not feel comfortable fixing them yourself, just post in this thread (or PM me ) and I'll take care of it.

There are a few outstanding issues that I know need to be dealt with:
  1. Section C is a mess.  It's the worst formatted section in the original manual and moving if over only made it worse.  If someone wants to spend some time figuring out how to make that section read smoother, it would be awesome! 

2. Section G decided it didn't want to look like the other ones and runs crazy off the page.  If there is a wiki expert that wants to solve this problem, I would appreciate it.

3. The RPGA page is grossly out of date and I know nothing of this area.  Go here to see the problems I know about.

4. Section A needs the touch of a new T.O.  There are several statements about what new T.O.s receive and such that I do not believe are accurate.  Specifically we need to know if you do in fact receive an Organizers Handbook (which I highly doubt) and WER (or does WER need to be downloaded? 

Lastly, I'm thinking the Introduction paragraph to the whole thing needs a rewrite, since this handbook is written by T.O.s and players and not the DCI staff.  Please give me your feedback as to what should be in that introduction paragraph.  I'm thinking about something like this:

Thank you for your interest in sanctioning events with the DCI®. By sanctioning your 
events through the DCI, your local players receive the opportunity to develop rating
and rankings in the worldwide communities of their favorite Wizards of the Coast
games. And perhaps more importantly, sanctioning your events with the DCI says that
your store will be running the highest quality events available. This Tournament
Organizer’s Handbook is a reworking of the 2007 Tournament Organizers Handbook
It has been updated by T.O.s like yourselves who have been running events and
keeping in contact with Wizards staff.  While the information in here may not be
100% accurate it is an excellent source of information for you to get started with.  If
you have any questions about the content of this wiki please post them in the appropriate
forums:

Good luck with all of your upcoming events!
It also would be a good idea to note the modifications you make in the discussion area stating why you made the change.

Lastly make changes only when you are sure that your change is correct.
Advanced TO DCI Judge lvl 1
Good point.  I made too many changes to document them all, but I do know the changes I made are accurate (with the potential exclusion to the number of players needed to change an event to a K-value of 24).

Anyone making changes should post here and the reason for the change.
Skimmed through it today and made the following changes:

• Added a link in the K-value section that takes you to the Document Center

• Made some formatting and grammar changes to Section F (DCI Reporter)

• Reformatted Section G fixing the aforementioned problem that was there.

• Minor formatting in Sections A, B, H, I, & J

• Added a link to the T.O. test in Section A

• Added a link in Section B for customer service

Read through section A and discovered some more issues.  I think they'll be best solved if a newer T.O. runs through it and sees what is actually still accurate.  Do they send you a tournament organizers handbook? Do they send a copy of WER or does it need to be downloaded? Also Changed the following:
  • Added another link to the T.O. test and a link to Section C. 

Read through section A and discovered some more issues.  I think they'll be best solved if a newer T.O. runs through it and sees what is actually still accurate.  Do they send you a tournament organizers handbook? Do they send a copy of WER or does it need to be downloaded? Also Changed the following:
  • Added another link to the T.O. test and a link to Section C. 

No they don't send us newbies anything

NastasiaLorn; wrote:
Show
57949688 wrote:
57131438 wrote:
What about DCI cards?  Do they send a shipment of them automatically or do you have to "sanction" them first?

Rewrote Section A with your notes in mind, though I left DCI cards in the section that says they send them automatically.  Let me know if that is inaccurate. 
What about DCI cards?  Do they send a shipment of them automatically or do you have to "sanction" them first?

Rewrote Section A with your notes in mind, though I left DCI cards in the section that says they send them automatically.  Let me know if that is inaccurate. 

you have to order them,currently they don't send you anything for becoming a TO

NastasiaLorn; wrote:
Show
57949688 wrote:
57131438 wrote:
Thanks again for the help!

I have updates items 1-4 in section A to reflect this change. 
I feel like I'm posting here like crazy/obsessed person.  Hopefully my incessant posting isn't too cumbersome.  

I made the following minor changes:
  • Formatting in sections A &G 

• Rewrote intro in Section F for clarity.

I'm going to post this introduction section to the Manual in a couple days.  I've changed it a little bit to make it reflect the work we've all put into it.  If you have any changes (grammatical, spelling, or content wise) please let me know soon so I can revise it.

Thank you for your interest in sanctioning events with the DCI®. By sanctioning your events through the DCI, your local players receive the opportunity to develop rating and rankings in the worldwide communities of their favorite Wizards of the Coast games. And perhaps more importantly, sanctioning your events with the DCI says that your venue will be running the highest quality events available.

This Tournament Organizer’s Handbook is a reworking of the 2007 Tournament Organizers Handbook.  It has been updated by T.O.s like yourselves who have been running events and keeping in contact with Wizards staff.  While we cannot guarantee that the information in here is 100% accurate due to the continual policy changes, it is an excellent source of information for you to get started with.  If you have any questions about the content of this wiki please post them in the appropriate forums:

If you believe the information in this manual is outdated please post in this thread so that you fellow T.O.s can take a look at it and determine if it does in fact need to be changed.

Good luck with all of your upcoming events!

Thank you for your interest in sanctioning events with the DCI®. By sanctioning your events through the DCI, your local players receive the opportunity to develop rating and rankings in the worldwide communities of their favorite Wizards of the Coast games. And perhaps more importantly, sanctioning your events with the DCI says that your store  location will be running the highest quality events available.

to reflect that not all TOs are associated iwth a store

NastasiaLorn; wrote:
Show
57949688 wrote:
57131438 wrote:
LOL... fair enough.  Changed.
What do you guys think of changing the DCI logo to this official remake?

ld44_dciLogo.jpg

nice

NastasiaLorn; wrote:
Show
57949688 wrote:
57131438 wrote:
Changed the dci logo to the new blue one, changed the intro paragraphs, and made minor formatting changes throughout the whole document.
I just want to add, when I joined up in January I believe, I did receive a getting started package that included  a small handbook and a sheet that went over some formats to play. There might have been more but I know my dog ate some of it and I'm at work right now so i don't have all my TO stuff in front of me. The software definitely needed to be downloaded and was not provided.
Excellent.  Thanks for the info!  If you want to post all the contents of the kit in here when you get a chance, we'll make sure it makes it in the handbook.
I'd love to, but I can't find all of it, and as I said, the dog ate the Getting Started guide. I know it had Decals for your window if you were a store. Also had a few DCI Membership cards, the Getting started guide and possibly some other documentation. The Shipping papers list it as WPN Intro Kit. Maybe someone else can fill in the blanks.
Considering the new Regular REL Guide to Fixing Common Errors is so small, should we include it in the Handbook?  Or should we put it a link and suggest new T.O.s go there?
Maybe a link to the document center if its not already in the handbook.  Or perhaps links to each document seperately, both the Guide to Fixing Common Errors and the full Infraction Procedure guide with brief summaries about them and when to use them.
How to report a bug in Wizards Event Reporter Software (WER)

Show
If you encounter a bug in the Wizards Event Reporter, it would be most helpful to have a report on the issue.

To better determine the cause of the bug, it would be helpful if you would attach three WER files:
- reporter.log
- updater.log (The software might create this file - if you are unable to locate it, this is fine.)

The path for those files is:
XP: C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Wizards of the Coast\Event Reporter\logs
Vista: C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Wizards of the Coast\Event Reporter\logs

The other file needed is:
- TournamentData.dat (The software might not create this file, or it may be listed as TournamentData).

The path for this file is:
XP: C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Wizards of the Coast\Event Reporter
Vista: C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Wizards of the Coast\Event Reporter

If you are unable to use the path for these files, please use the search function in Windows.

• Click “Start”
  • Then mouseover the “Search” option.
  • Click “For Files or Folders”
  • Enter each file name and click 'search'
  • Right-click on the file and save a copy of the file to your desktop.
  • Now you are ready to submit your bug.
To submit your bug please submit the information here.

I'd rather put a link to the document center, those documents are updated 4 times a year.
I sent an e-mail to one of my wizards contacts to find out what's in the new T.O. kit and the reply I got was this:
The “WPN Intro Kit” is actually the Gateway Kit as there is no automatic kit that is sent off to a TO the moment they join the WPN. And so, I’m sure you are pretty aware of what is included in a Gateway Kit.

So it looks like we'll just have to add a little section in on how to get your first Gateway Kit. 
Added instructions for Add Venue & Gateway Kits
Updated the section on how to become a T.O. under the newest changes regarding no Judge Center testing.
Updated Section C to reflect the MTR on Tiebreakers and current policy on top 8 drafting.
The policy on K-Values recently changed.  T.O.s can no longer apply for a variance in the K-Value of an event.  However, B&M T.O.s have more options for events to run.  I rewrote Section D - K-Value System to reflect this change in policy.
On the section involving judges, you might want to mention the Regional Coordinators as well.
www.wizards.com/magic/tcg/events.aspx?x=...

RILSQIID

On the section involving judges, you might want to mention the Regional Coordinators as well.
www.wizards.com/magic/tcg/events.aspx?x=...

I have added information on Regional Coordinators to the last 2 sections, let me know what you think.