Dragon 387 - Winning Races: Shifters

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
DnDi_Large.png      Dragon 387
Winning Races: Shifter
Shifters of the City

By Keith Baker

In today's Winning Races article, Keith discusses Shifters who grew up in urban environments.  Those who live in the sewers are known as rats, and those who live on the rooftops towering high above the streets like living gargoyles are called crows

To that end, Keith details three Urban Shifter backgrounds.  He also gives us six feats to enrich Shifter characters – and while they are built with urban shifters in mind, they're good for any Razorclaw or Longtooth. 

You were born on the ledge of a tower, and you took your first steps on the edge of a roof. The city is your playground, and you love climbing its walls and leaping between its bridges; you feel most alive when you are in motion. Before adventuring, you might have found work as a messenger or courier. Now you use your gifts in battle, outmaneuvering your enemies with your dazzling speed and agility.

Talk about this article here.
387-wr-shifter.jpg

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

One of my characters is an Urban Shifter, and this article is very cool in the way it describes them.

I think I'll be taking some of those feats too. :D  Gogo Crow's Flight!
I just read over this and thought it was pretty cool myself. However, I think there's an error in the Epic feat (or at least, a missing prerequisite) - the feat grants miss damage to at-will primal attack powers, but the feat doesn't require you to be a Primal class or have primal attack powers.

I suppose it's not really a prerequisite as such - you could take this feat and have it be utterly useless - but it seems like the pre-reqs should be "Shifter, any Primal class." Or is that not done?
I just read over this and thought it was pretty cool myself. However, I think there's an error in the Epic feat (or at least, a missing prerequisite) - the feat grants miss damage to at-will primal attack powers, but the feat doesn't require you to be a Primal class or have primal attack powers.

I suppose it's not really a prerequisite as such - you could take this feat and have it be utterly useless - but it seems like the pre-reqs should be "Shifter, any Primal class." Or is that not done?

It would still be possible to take the feat and have it be useless even if that was the prerequisite; A non-primal character multiclassing into a primal class wouldn't have a primal at-will (that I'm aware of, at least) unless he paragon multiclassed.

But, again, I do think the developers are right in that nobody is going to take the feat if it's not going to do them any good (but then, there are always exceptions).
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
There are some PPaths and Non-Class Multiclasses that allow access to other Power Sources.  As far as I know, however, none provide at-will powers.

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

What about a half-elf selecting a primal class at-will power as his dilettante power and then taking the Versatile Master feat at paragon? 
What about a half-elf selecting a primal class at-will power as his dilettante power and then taking the Versatile Master feat at paragon? 

I think that would work, actually.  It's a long way to go to get it, though.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Sign In to post comments