Great (contemporary) songs for a bard! (Suggestions please!)

33 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm playing a succubus bard in a 3.0 campaign with some of my friends. She's a good demon  (half-demon, really) and will be a bard when she gets through her levels of succubus. The great part about our campaign is that our DM has brought in a lot of fun pop culture references throughout the game. When she starts to level as bard (she'll prestige into virtuoso) I'd love to actually have a playlist of songs on my ipod to play during our encounters. 

My question to you all is:

What (contemporary) songs would you love to have a bard sing in your campaign? They could be pop, country, etc. It would be prefered that said songs be performed by women, as my bard is a female and I'd like for my fellow players to be able to picture a female singing the songs.

Have fun coming up with some fun ones.
A bard needs only 1 song

You put your right foot in,
You put your right foot out;
You put your right foot in,
And you shake it all about.
You do the Hokey-Pokey,
And you turn yourself around.
That's what it's all about!

Well if you want something serious that sounds good I'd suggest looking into Corvus Corax (their music is probably the cloests anything comes to medival music that I've heard.) especially the songs Skudrinka, Mille Anni Passi Sunt, Seikilos, Titenka, Chou Chou Sheng, Dulcissima and Curritur.

If you want something more modern I'd go for some metal'ish stuff with a fantasy theme like Hammerfall (male singer, but female with a dark voice might be beliavle) - Trailblazers, Titan, Way of The Warrior, Templars of Steel
Avantasia (Male singer, but a girl with a dark voice might be belivable) - The Wicked Symphony, Ratrace, Blizzard on a Broken Mirror, Wasteland, Journey to Arcadia, Dying for an Angel.
Nightwish (female singer) - Bye bye Beautiful, Planet Hell, 10th Man down, Kinslayer, Moondance, Feel for you, End of all Hope, The Siren, Nemo
Kajiuri Yuka (female) - Anything from her really.
Ali Project (female) - Again, anything.
Within Temptation (female singer) -  What Have you Done, Our Solemn Hour, Deciver of Fools,
Hazel Fernandes (no idea, but sounds like a girl) - Number one
Tarja Turunen (female) - Die Alive, Lost Northern Star, I walk alone.

Hmm most of my music have male singers it seems like. Anyway those are just some suggestions, but really anything by the artists I suggested is good in my opinion, hope you find something you like.

I definitely agree with the nightwish and within temptation (great bands), and being that the bard if half demon, I could definitely see some serious, male sounding growls and screams coming from her.  You might also look into Lacuna Coil (early stuff is almost entirely female lead, newer has a lot more male lead vocals).  Specifically for Lacuna Coil, Spellbound (bards can fascinate, makes perfect sense, lulz), and Survive (for Inspire Courage, of course)

Good luck, sounds like an enormously fun toon to play
"Contemporary" meaning what here?

I thought Gloria Gaynor (I Will Survive), Donna Summer, The Chic (Le Freak).

Labelle (Lady Marmalade, "voulez-vous coucher avec moi (ce soir)" claim it's Infernal).

Maybe old Madonna stuff.

Or go really evil with Barbara Streisand.
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19670890/Keep_on_the_Shadowfell_Character_Errata
I used hero by enrique iglesias as my majestic word song, primarily the chorus

instrumental songs from anime fight sequences are generally good morale songs

its all preference, i dunno, but I generally aim for the over the top sill/epic/sad songs depending on the situation 
Succubus Bard?
Sympathy for the Devil, Rolling Stones.

Slash.

Thread.

Also, really, anything from Evanescence seems thematically appropriate.

"Not only are you wrong, but I even created an Excel spreadsheet to show you how wrong you are." --James Wyatt, May 2006

Dilige, et quod vis fac

Thanks for the suggestions, folks!

@Nikita -- I already decided to use a Within Temptation song on our campaign's "Soundtrack" that makes you awesome in my book.

All of your suggestions have been just great. Thanks everyone!
Succubus Bard?
Sympathy for the Devil, Rolling Stones.

Also, Suck My Kiss by Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Personally, for my Bard|Storm Sorceror (4E Hybrid - Voice of Thunder Paragon Path) I'm a fan of AC/DC's Thunderstruck (obvious reasons) and Hells Bells.  ("I'm rolling thunder, pouring rain - I'm coming on like a hurricane -  White lightning's flasing across the sky - You're only young but you're gonna die") 

For an inspirational song, how about "I Need a Hero" by Bonnie Tyler?

"Eye of the Tiger" also works, especially this version by Chiara Mastroianni: www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA-gAKiiM1I

For a creepy, haunting song, there's always Thriller (the Imogen Heap cover): www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxrIBCwyk80

You can also do "Master of Puppets". "One Tin Soldier Rides Away" is also good for tavern performances. And "Through Fire and Flames" by Dragon Force!

Actually, anything by Dragon Force is appropriate. Singing it with a girl's voice makes it more bad ass.

And you can also use (pardon the pun) "Bard Romance" by Her Majesty Lady Gallandra Gawhatsherface

There's a band called Blind Guardian that can be a good resource. Among their songs:

- The Bard's Song
- Harvest of Sorrow
- Skalds and Shadows
- The Maiden and the Minstrel Knight
- A Past and Future Secret

Blind Guardian are called the "Metal Bards" for a reason.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/23.jpg)

Some of the songs lack lyrics but:

Battle without honor or humanity (from Kill Bill)
Another one bites the dust (queen)
Still Alive (glados, from the game Portal)
King of Pain (the police)
Murder by numbers (the police)
Poison (alice cooper)
Great Balls of Fire (jerry lee louis)
Highway to the Danger zone (kenny loggins, from top gun)
Help! (beatles)
What's that coming over the hill (The Automatic)
Wardogs (juno reactor)
Ain't got no,  got life (Nina Simone)
Country Roads
500 Miles (the Proclamiers)
Boots are made for walking (nancy sinatra)
the Beer Song (weird al Yankovich)
Smoke two Joints (sublime)

That is the most of my two playlists:
Every body but me (see this magic card) for the combat background music and ****** Hippies (think Cartman) for the out of combat background music.
Kamikazegerbil wrote: Coke Spill Level 1 Encounter Attack Power Trigger: You must be pouring yourself a drink Range: Close Blast 1D10 from Player Target: All creatures and objects within blast Attack: Any vs. Reflex Hit: 1d6 Fizzy damage and target is wet (save ends) Aftereffect: Target is sticky (save ends)
I totally forgot "your only human" from Billy Joel. The chorus lyrics contain the words "don't forget your second wind!"
Kamikazegerbil wrote: Coke Spill Level 1 Encounter Attack Power Trigger: You must be pouring yourself a drink Range: Close Blast 1D10 from Player Target: All creatures and objects within blast Attack: Any vs. Reflex Hit: 1d6 Fizzy damage and target is wet (save ends) Aftereffect: Target is sticky (save ends)
probally a little bit off:
i'm still standing(Elton John)
Do a search for Mercedes Lackey's music/songs.
There's a good amount of em and at least 4 CDs that I know of.
Really, REALLY good Bard stuff in those for any occasion.
The Doors "spanish caravan"
Black Sabbath "planet caravan"

anything caravan related, really.
if you don't mind Japanese music there are some very good...wait good no what i mean to say godlike female singers you might want to check out like.........

Leah
High and Mighty Color
Lia
Anglea
Yuria
Origa
Megumi Nakajima
May\'n
Kalafina
Yoko Hikasa
FictionJunction
fripSide
Shoko Nakagawa
The Brillant Green

there so many more but there are my favorites out of the bunch
Enjoy!
P.S PM me if would like these singers ill give you some of there songs for you I own most of there albums
Drop the PC nonsense. Laying waste to thousands of enemies by raining fire and death from the sky is women's work, dammit! By: Boraxe
Contemporary Songs that a bard could sing...

Any of the songs at the end of the 3 Lord of the Rings Movies...
Somewhere over the rainbow (see Iz)
Where I belong (from Hercules)
Hey there delilah, (replace locations and modern transportation references as needed)
Close to you, (Simon and Garfunkel)
Short People (Randy Newman... hysteical in a group full of halflings)
You are the New Day
First cut is the deepest (lol)

Some classical songs...

The Songs of Travel by Vaughan Williams fit the Bard or Rogue PERFECTLY... listen to them once if you get the chance, and you'll see why.

Some sound funny, but honestly, apply them with your typical lute/lyre playing and singing bard and they work... some are particularly good for singing in the tavern after the party just got out of that pesky dungeon that rocked their faces...
In the celtic/folk/rock/metal list I would add:

- Eluveitie
(www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQcyZgY7es8)
(www.youtube.com/watch?v=iijKLHCQw5o)

- Finntroll
(www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yUu7c5TBXs)
(www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGywo81G6lk)

- Kivimetsan Druidi
(www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Vp6I6kRjTM)

And I will bump the suggestion of Corvus Corax with the Filii Neidhardi song.
-Realize You are your own source of all Creation, of your own master plan.
The Highwayman by Loreena McKennitt: www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2CFM4ev-g8
...Undisclosed Desires, Muse?

slash thread?
Leaders are fifth wheels - the steering one.
Everyone's suggestions have been simply fantastc. I hope everyone has had fun coming up with these unique ideas. Keep them coming. Maybe we can put together some sort of definitive must have list for bards!
Your half-succubus female bard will be singing these songs, yes? My suggestion: find a Voice. Whatever your character sings, whatever the actual artists, the character sings them using that Voice.

I suggest Amy Lee or Annie Lennox, maybe? My 2 cent's worth.

As far as the actual songs go, you'll more than likely have a ton more suggestions in the time it takes me to finish writing this post.

Your half-succubus female bard will be singing these songs, yes? My suggestion: find a Voice. Whatever your character sings, whatever the actual artists, the character sings them using that Voice.

I suggest Amy Lee or Annie Lennox, maybe? My 2 cent's worth.

As far as the actual songs go, you'll more than likely have a ton more suggestions in the time it takes me to finish writing this post.

Thanks! Yeah, she's half-succubus/half-human. Her voice would probably be very close to Amy Lee or Sharon den Adel of Within Temptation, with a little bit of my own voice thrown in for good measure (it's part of her backstory). Thanks for your advice!
Pretty much anything from Diana Krall would do (I'm thinking in particular of her "Girl In The Other Room" CD), and perhaps Sarah McLachlan.  I'd also agree with the Annie Lennox idea.  

Lily Allen's "F*** You" would be nice for a fight against some kind of mendacious evil priest.

And Joni Mitchell would probably be particularly suitable.  She did a great job with "The Magdelene Laundries" with the Chieftains.

Best of luck...

T 
Yeah. I did just kill your BBEG with a vorpal frisbee. Problem?
Thanks! Those suggestions are awesome. I'm going to start putting together a list of particular songs soon. We took a 2 week break so I figure I can do that at least.

Also, vorpal frisbee... amazing!
How about "Bard" by Tripod in their musical Tripod vs the Dragon?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=oheBQz6wuu0

It was so much more awesome to see it as the final song, live and on stage.  I mean, it's a musical about people playing D&D!  It's awesome!

Or how about "Dungeons & Dragons"
www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IgVPnhmVNE&feat...

I'm going to look up the ones the Dragon sings.  They didn't show up on YouTube, but I hear the CD is on iTunes.  I've gotta find this.

EDIT: So YouTube doesn't have many more songs from the show, but the CD on iTunes have them.  On Paper, Don't Feel Bad, Heart of a Fighter, I Will Still Play, The Smell of Adventure.  If nothing else, I'm using this for the next time I play a bard.
Don't know if anyone's suggested this (I'm too lazy to read through all the comments), but how about "Turn the Page"? Especially the Metalica version.

Personally, when I use a bard, I typically hear him singing the soundtrack from The Last Unicorn. :P
"Oh, I don't get upset. I have people to do that for me." ~DBZ Abridged-Frieza
Almost anything by Pink Floyd can have a few appropriate lines.  Dogs of War is good for fights where both sides have been preparing for the confrontation ahead of time.  Wish You Were Here is good for remembering fallen comrades.  Glenn Beck was able to take bits and pieces from Dark Side of the Moon and create "Pink Floyd's Passion of the Christ" !

Pat Benatar has good material (Hit Me With Your Best Shot), some of which can be used to lighten tone.  Hell is for Children may inspire a paladin to fight the evil overlord.

Use Madonna's Like A Prayer to mock an evil cleric.  (This should work REALLY well with your character.)  If you have seen the video, she attempts - and fails miserably - to manipulate Christian symbology.  Because she's forgotten what the symbols mean.

Wagner's Ring Cycle has a lot of awesome instrumentals (not just Charge of the Valkyries and Siegfried's Funeral) to use as background music.

If your group is willing to put together a comedy act, (hey, adventurers gotta have a job too) you could use the Looney Tunes theme to introduce yourselves!

Best complements I have yet received

Making it up as I go along:

{BRJN} If I was writing the Tome of Lore, I would let Auppenser sleep. But I also would have him dream. In his dreaming he re-activates the innate powers of (some) mortal minds. Or his dreaming changes the nature of reality - currently very malleable thanks to Spellplague &c. Or whatever really cool flavor text and pseudo-science explanation people react positively to.

{Lord_Karsus} You know, I like that better than the explanations for the Spellplague.

{BRJN} If Bhaal approves of The Joker, does he approve of Jack Nicholson's portrayal or Heath Ledger's protrayal more?

{Stigger} That question is utterly classic, and completely on target.

Prepped ahead of time:

I started the 4e thread "1001 Failed Interrogation Results" (now lost in that great electronic goodnight, alas)

{ADHadh} These are all good and make sense! I just can't come up with something that's not covered here and is not completely ridiculous.

(News bulletin: Updated thread to be posted after I review the 5e DMG)

My 5e characters

Active:

none yet - gotta find a group !

Character Ready-to-go:

Erevyn Meliamne, Wood elf Monk1, inspired by "Radar O'Reilley" from M*A*S*H

Concepts I'm kicking around:

Barbarian w/Tough feat, to be nearly indestructible

"Truenamer" cleric - all spells are Verbal

"Buggy" Wizard - insect flavor on everything.  His DMPC / BBEG version is going to become a beetle version of a Worm That Walks.  (See the 4e Lamia.)  Because lichdom is so cliche.

lol...yeah, that was a long while back, 2ed game.  I had a wizard char, couldn't hit crap, but we found this vorpal frisbee thing (one of those Xena throwing circles, the DM thought those were cool), and I was the only one who could use it.  

Couple months later we had a bad guy that we were never going to take down, total TPK in the works, so I figured as long as we're going down I might as well throw it a few times.  If I'm not so lucky, I kill a friend earlier than the bad guy can get to him.

I got lucky on about the third shot ).

T 
Yeah. I did just kill your BBEG with a vorpal frisbee. Problem?
Face Your Demons by After Forever came to mind for me. Near enough anything by Blackmore's Night too as they are a medieval/Rennaissance style band. There was also this one time, at bard camp.... :p
Sign In to post comments