Paladin's mount gaining Dragonborn Template

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm making a Dragonborn paladin and I was wondering if I could apply it to my mount as well?  I'll be using the class option from Dragon Magic to have a Drakkensteed as my mount.  How would the template affect the drakkensteed if allowed? 
Isn't that template humanoid only?
Normally a Drakensteed can't become a Dragonborn because of their Int score is 2, but as a Paladin's mount it meets both requirements (Int 3 or higher and non-evil).

If the DM allows it it would lose the Trample extraordinary ability, gain Draconic as an automatic language, and gain the traits of the Dragonborn.

Personally as a DM I probably wouldn't allow it as you seem to gain a lot for almost nothing.
Et in arcadia ego~Even in paradise I am here Est Sularus Oth Mithas~My Honor Is My Life You, sir, are a liar. Or delusional. I like your style.- Zombie_Babies
Show
The two editions are very different...and make for two different games. In general, 3.0/3.5 is built around more-or-less full freedom in terms of character customization. In contrast, 4.0 is built around balance and ease of play. Honestly, I think WotC should have maintained both lines as parallel games.
(real life friends came up with this not me) The Resident Nonexistant Antichrist Neanderthal Amish Werewolf Jesus Delusion.
Offer to treat the Dragonborn mount as though your paladin's 3 levels lower than he is for abilities.  That should balance it out.
ResidentDie-hard 3.x supporter! 12833.png I don't resent 4E. I just see its players as... misguided by its oversimplicity. I DO resent the original marketing for it, though.
To answer the first question, I wasn't sure my self, but if you read the Prerequisites they're Non-evil and Int 3 or above.  

I'm thinking 3levels lower in a bit to much.  At 15th lvl It could have a Breath weapon 60ft line for 4d8 or Darkvision out to 120ft.   At my current level it would be 30 ft line and 2d8.  Since it levels with you I don't think adding a penalty is really needed.
Oh my god no. Flavour wise the answer is no, as far as i'm concerned. You have to choose to be a Dragonborn, it can't be chosen for you. I'm going to say don't do it, just for my sake.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein When the forces of stupid collide, magical things happen. And by magical, I mean ******* moronic. - Anon
But for Flavour wise I'm a Dragonborn Paladin of Bahamut and think it would be great if my Mount was to.  So maybe look at it as Bahamut is giving me an extra speical mount.  One created by him!

As for choosing the mount as have a 6 and higher Int as a Special Mount.   
But for Flavour wise I'm a Dragonborn Paladin of Bahamut and think it would be great if my Mount was to.  So maybe look at it as Bahamut is giving me an extra speical mount.  One created by him!

As for choosing the mount as have a 6 and higher Int as a Special Mount.   

Maybe, but i still think you could use a different creature: Possible a Dragonne or maybe just get a horse (or any other mount) & add the Draconic Template (which is like the Half-Dragon but futher away from there dragon ancestor). Then you just reflavour it as a gift from Bahumat himself for your good work in his name & as insurances against the tribulations you still have to come.

See the Dragonborn is only truly cool if its not overused (yes 4E i'm looking at you). "The Rule of Cool" is too dangerous to ongoing games if its used all the time.

-M

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein When the forces of stupid collide, magical things happen. And by magical, I mean ******* moronic. - Anon