5/12/2010 StF: "Rising to the Occasion"

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Savor the Flavor, which goes live Wednesday on magicthegathering.com.
Pretty good main article, but the Letter of the Week points out why I consider the Eldrazi to have been a D+ or C- on the flavor grading scale - they're pretty cool, but they could have been an A++ if they'd been handled correctly, and it's sad that something this potentially awesome wasn't pushed as hard as planeswalkers were to make sure they came out living up to all the epicness they were capable of.  The Eldrazi are supposed to be "Cthulhu meets Galactus", but while Cthulhu is alien and incomprehensible, Galactus is not so much - he was once just a guy, and while he lived through the end of a universe and thus has a rather foreign perspective compared to people who aren't about five billion years old, he's still a lot more human and relatable than Cthulhu.  And the flavor text written for the Eldrazi, as well as their portrayal in the novels, makes them seem a lot less enigmatic than they were maybe intended to be.  (I will speak more on this later.)
My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi
Pretty good main article, but the Letter of the Week points out why I consider the Eldrazi to have been a D+ or C- on the flavor grading scale - they're pretty cool, but they could have been an A++ if they'd been handled correctly, and it's sad that something this potentially awesome wasn't pushed as hard as planeswalkers were to make sure they came out living up to all the epicness they were capable of.  The Eldrazi are supposed to be "Cthulhu meets Galactus", but while Cthulhu is alien and incomprehensible, Galactus is not so much - he was once just a guy, and while he lived through the end of a universe and thus has a rather foreign perspective compared to people who aren't about five billion years old, he's still a lot more human and relatable than Cthulhu.  And the flavor text written for the Eldrazi, as well as their portrayal in the novels, makes them seem a lot less enigmatic than they were maybe intended to be.  (I will speak more on this later.)

Looking forward to it. I think Doug's explaination confuses the matter too much and I am starting to dislike the eldrazi concept as a result. I hate when the explaination is "you can't understand it"
Don't be too smart to have fun

Rise of the Eldrazi has few legends (and even fewer planeswalkers)

The paragraph that starts with this appears twice. 
Looking forward to it. I think Doug's explaination confuses the matter too much and I am starting to dislike the eldrazi concept as a result. I hate when the explaination is "you can't understand it"

Don't ever read Lovecraft, then; that was basically his whole shtick.  (He did it before it became a cliche, and he did it so well that it became a cliche; I agree that these days it just looks like a lazy writer's friend, but it was groundbreaking 80 years ago.)  Since the Eldrazi are directly inspired by Lovecraft, my take on them can't entirely ignore this, but I will also be trying to draw on other sources.  Some of the better Green Lantern comics, for instance, do a passable job of putting you inside the head of an alien entity which is just barely possible to describe most of the way in human terms - not so much a shortcut for writers that have run out of adjectives as just saying "incomprehensible".
My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi
Sign In to post comments