Dungeon 178 - HT lv1 Coppernight's Salvation

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
DnDi_Large.png        Dungeon 178
Dungeon Delve Expansion
Coppernight's Salvation
An Adventure for 1st Level Characters

By Shawn Merwin

Way back in February '09's Dungeon Delve, the first-level adventure in the book was a 3-encounter mine delve known as Coppernight Hold.  Now a year and three months later, that delve is finally expanded upon and transformed into a full-sized adventure with Coppernight's Salvation.

A battle must have taken place here. Crystal clear water, roughly knee-deep to a human, pours out of a hole in the cavern wall. It forms a pool in front of the entrance before flowing off to the right, where you can hear the sound of falling water. Several suits of dwarf-sized armor litter the pool and the dry ground nearby.

Talk about this adventure here.
178-coppernight.jpg

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

In the skill challenge:

Contacting Coppernight
Level: 2 (375 XP)
Complexity: 3 (8 successes before 3 failures)
Primary Skills: Arcana, Dungeoneering, History,
Nature, Thievery

Arcana (DC 10, standard action, 4 maximum successes):
At least two successes in the skill challenge
must be from Arcana checks in order to understand
the arcane powers that the system uses.

Athletics (DC 12, 1 success, 2 maximum successes):
You improve the system’s performance by physically
removing debris which blocks parts of it.

Dungeoneering (DC 9, standard action, 1 success, 3
maximum successes): At least two successes in the skill
challenge must come from Dungeoneering checks.
Understanding how sound travels underground and
how passages are made help get the communication
system functioning properly.

Thievery (DC 12, 1 success, 3 maximum successes):
Some parts of the system work similarly to traps and
alarm systems you have seen.

Secondary Skills: Athletics, History, Insight,
Perception

History (DC 13, trained only; 0 successes, 2 maximum
successes): You assist (+2 to the roll) the next character
who makes a primary skill check by pointing out how
Coppernight’s design borrows concepts from a similar
design employed in other dwarven constructions.

When they say History (DC 13, trained only; 0 successes, 2 maximum
successes), what does the 0 successes stand for... same goes for Thievery (DC 12, 1 success, 3 maximum successes)... 1 success??

ok i think i know why =)

the one success means i gives you 1 success when you succeed and the 0 success means itll give you a boost in your next roll but doesnt give you a success... if so... why is there none in the arcana skill?

I'm wondering why we have yet another level 1 adventure? We have had tons and tons of them lately with the Chaos Scar ones, why not mid-late heroic or even paragon tier...? Epic would be cool also, even though I don't play that high, it'd be fun to see how they work such an adventure
When they say History (DC 13, trained only; 0 successes, 2 maximum

"0 successes" means that the use of this skill doesn't contribute any successes to the accomplishment of the skill challenge; it only contributes a bonus to someone else's skill check. "2 maximum" means you can use this skill successfully twice in the course of the challenge. History should have been listed as a secondary skill.

Steve

If your only tool is a warhammer, every problem looks like a gnoll.

Very cool adventure. Good to see Shawn (formerly a global admin for the Living Forgotten Realms campaign) see some more Dragon/Dungeon action. I liked the first encounter a lot with the nice decision PCs have to make regarding the dwarf in the pit.

I also really liked the skill challenge integration in the next encounter.

Overall, a lot of very cool ideas throughout that can make this a very fun adventure for a DM. It begs to be part of the larger series. This is almost not a delve at all, but a chapter in a cool story.

Follow my blog and Twitter feed with Dark Sun campaign design and DM tips!
Dark Sun's Ashes of Athas Campaign is now available for home play (PM me with your e-mail to order the campaign adventures).

Very cool adventure. Good to see Shawn (formerly a global admin for the Living Forgotten Realms campaign) see some more Dragon/Dungeon action. I liked the first encounter a lot with the nice decision PCs have to make regarding the dwarf in the pit.

I also really liked the skill challenge integration in the next encounter.

Overall, a lot of very cool ideas throughout that can make this a very fun adventure for a DM. It begs to be part of the larger series. This is almost not a delve at all, but a chapter in a cool story.

Thanks for the kind words, and I am glad you enjoyed the adventure.  I'd wanted to write a follow-up ever since designing the original delve, but there was so much to do and so little time.

I always envisioned a sort-of "Die Hard" D&D adventure, and this gave me the opportunity to do it.  You always have adventures where the PCs have to rescue the kidnapped innocent(s), but I always wanted to add the twist where the innocents were trapped but not captured, and there was a possibility of coordinating with them to make plans and gain assistance, rather than always having the kidnap victims be a hindrance to the effort.

Building maps using only Dungeon Tiles is always a challenge, to the point where it is usually more productive to build the maps first, and then build the encounters around that.  For writing 4e adventures, I think that is probably good advice even if you aren't using Dungeon Tiles.  :-)