Dragon 387 - Ampersand: Just LIke the White Rabbit…

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
DnDi_Large.png    Dragon 387
Ampersand: Just Like the White Rabbit…
Who is Sometimes Very, Very Late…

By Bill Slavicsek

In this month's Ampersand, Bill discusses what's up for this month – HS1 The Slaying Stone, 5 new adventures in Dungeon, the Player's Strategy Guide.  He also gives a shout-out to the Creature Competition (which is being mean to your's truly right now and forgetting that I already made my picks, thus taking me out of the running); gives a mention in on the Castle Ravenloft board game, and then proceeds to reveal a monster, the aberrant desert creature Anakore, and a Sorcerer-King, the Shadow-King Nibenay (as well as his Shadow-Brides) from the Dark Sun Creature Catalog.

Talk about this column here.
387-ampersand-1.jpg

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

Wrath of Ashardalon looks to be the renamed Dungeons of Dragonfire Mountain, but it's not quite clear from the article. Waiting for WotC to update the product catalog...

and a Sorcerer-King, the Shadow-King Nibenay of Tyr (as well as his Shadow-Brides) from the Dark Sun Creature Catalog.

To your credit, I discovered that Nibenay's city (in the Tyr region) is called... Nibenay. And of course, it doesn't help that Nibenay's background/lore makes many mentions of the city of Tyr. For example, think of how much of a headache it would be if Mexico City was just called Mexico, and it was the center of all major events in our lifetime. Mexico, Mexico. And Luigi Mexico.
Do the monsters presented seem to have less HP but do more damage than the current 4E ones?
It could be an attempt to create quicker but more volatile encounters. You're not the only one who's commented on their HP.
Speaking of the monsters...

I'm a little surprised that a Sorcerer-King is a mere elite. I would've thought they'd be solo's. This isn't a problem. Just giving voice to a thought.

On a more constructive note, I really like the way the individual monsters' entries are constructed by grouping like powers under categories which jump out at you & make things much clearer.

I had a "duh" moment when I read that. Why hadn't I thought of that when I was designing my own monsters?

Good work! :D
Do the monsters presented seem to have less HP but do more damage than the current 4E ones?

I didn't do any of the damage expression calculations, but the hit points match the DMG guidelines.

Tim Eagon My DDI Articles.

DDEX2-8 Foulness Beneath Mulmaster

Follow me on Twitter @Tim_Eagon

Speaking of the monsters...

I'm a little surprised that a Sorcerer-King is a mere elite. I would've thought they'd be solo's. This isn't a problem. Just giving voice to a thought.

Elites are way more fun to run than solos.
"Anakore Hunter

The shuddering dunes might herald more than wind. Anakore hunters burrow beneath the loose earth, alert to prey that they can surprise and drag under the surface. The hunters leave their pray there to suffocate while they focus on dragging down other quarry."

It should be "prey" in that last sentence, too.

Elites are way more fun to run than solos.

More importantly as elites the sorcerer kings can be higher level than the party while still leaving room in the encounter budget for additional grunts and one-sided traps.

On an entirely different note, I'm disappointed to find out that the tiles in the Ravenloft board game have puzzle-like connectors along each edge.  No doubt this is a useful feature for keeping them from sliding around during play, but it also makes them mostly incompatible with the standard D&D tiles, which seems kind of a shame as there appear to be some new designs amongst them.
Sign In to post comments