5/10/2010 Feature: "Extra Pulled from the Archives"

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
 This thread is for discussion of this week's Feature Article, which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.
After reading that article, it made me wish The Duelist enver ceased printing. The Extra Pulled cards were funny as hell and always made my day.

MaRo should totally revivie Extra Pulled on the website.
It certainly was very amusing to see these cards, some of which could not even be placed in an Un-set.

Coming up with weird ideas to make everyone happy since 2008!

I have now started a blog as an appropriate place to put my crazy ideas.

That Armageddon is broken, it kills lands and planeswalkers :P
Would it be any less broken if it didn't kill planeswalkers?
Green Doesn't Suck Now, Dammit! could be printed today, of course as a Mythic.

At any rate, why isn't all of The Duelist legitimately archived online yet?  The epic grousing about Hymn to Tourach, alone, is worth a good laugh.

They printed it already. It got renamed Tarmogoyf though.

They printed it already. It got renamed Tarmogoyf though.

No, that was 'Blue Has a Beater on the Ground Now, Dammit!'

I'm shocked that Amulet of Ignorance wasn't included in Rise of the Eldrazi!
In the comment on Homarid Leper the fact that Lion's Eye Diamond is called out as being bad is hilarious in hindsight.
The flavor text for Canadian Wrath of God is pretty funny, too.
Let's just say there are certain people I'd play Disrobing Scepter with and some I wouldn't...
The end is always nigh.
I chuckled at the Armageddon and Wrath of God, but I would love to see something like Cheat 'Em and Weep in an actual Un-set someday, assuming there's another eventually--that looks like fun.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

I had to smile wryly at "Mox Dragon of the Lotus", and the reference to "ulterior motives" in naming cards. Lotus Cobra was named as it was precisely to hype it up and justify the mythic rarity (in my own humble but very strongly held opinion). Mark Rosewater would have us believe that the card "reminded R&D of Black Lotus", but I don't buy that for two seconds. Ok so it makes mana, and mana of any colour at that - but so does Birchlore Rangers, Birds of Paradise, Carpet of Flowers, Dawn's Reflection, Elvish Harbinger, Fertile Ground, Food Chain, Gemhide Sliver, Harabaz Druid, Morselhoarder, Mul Daya Channelers, Multani's Harmony, Overlaid TerrainQuirion Sentinel, Trace of Abundance, Utopia Mycon, Utopia Tree, Utopia Vow, Verdant Eidolon, Wild Cantor, Wirewood Channeler, to name but a few.

Verdant Eidolon has much more in common with Black Lotus than the Cobra (it's sacrificed as part of playing its abillity, and it adds three mana rather than one), but didn't need pushing as a mythic, hence no cynical cash-in name.
"Personally, I believe $50 is the roof that someone will pay for a Standard card, Mythic or otherwise." - Ben Bleiweiss, StarCity Games ----------------------------------------------------------
Really glad they haven't printed Homarid Leper. With Highland Weald and friends, that thing would be way too unblockable!
I love Dojo Effect and still find it relevant.
Why wasn't Double Dog Dare printed in Unhinged? Bad platest experiences?
[c]Hill Giant[/c] = Hill Giant [c=Hill Giant]That guy[/c] = That guy [[ b][/b]c]Hill Giant[/c] without the space = [c]Hill Giant[/c] [mc]123456789[/mc] = [mc]wubrg[/mc] = [mc]TQxyzS[/mc] = yz [mc](W/U)(U/B)(B/R)(R/G)(G/W)[/mc] = [mc](2/W)(2/U)(2/B)(2/R)(2/G)[/mc] =
Lotus Cobra was named as it was precisely to hype it up and justify the mythic rarity (in my own humble but very strongly held opinion).

While I tend to agree, I don't mind or even care all that much. Of course, Lotus Guardian was probably a better card. (Well, maybe not. It was overcosted... and it should have been named Mox Guardian, for that matter.)

What I want to know is if the name of Kobra and the Lotus (a heavy-metal band from Calgary with a woman as their lead singer) is just a coincidence...

Coming up with weird ideas to make everyone happy since 2008!

I have now started a blog as an appropriate place to put my crazy ideas.

Was it a joke or is there actually a page 60. I want to know why the Disrobing Scepter wasnt printed lolTongue out
Really glad they haven't printed Homarid Leper. With Highland Weald and friends, that thing would be way too unblockable!

Think of it as advance hate for Dark Depths.
Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...
Was it a joke or is there actually a page 60. I want to know why the Disrobing Scepter wasnt printed lol

Regardless of an actual page 60, do you really want to play this with your friends?

Does anybody remember the magazine InQuest?  That was one of the funniest periodicals I've ever read.  I still pull out old copies and read them because not much compares.  I don't know what it is about people who play Magic who have a good sense of humor.

Speaking of if you're interested in MTG humor check out Good Gamery.  Those guys are pretty funny.
Was it a joke or is there actually a page 60. I want to know why the Disrobing Scepter wasnt printed lol

Duellist 30, Eggtober 1998, Unglued unveiled

Page 60 has an article titled "Chickens and Cows and Clams ... Oh My", that talked about development of unglued. One Section gave reasons for rejects:

Gratuitous Babe Art: (snipped description) Reason for Rejection: People were unclear as to whether we were parodying babe art or secretly sneaking babe art into the set under the guise of parody. Also, there are too many androgynous Magic creatures.

Disrobing Scepter: (see "Extra Pulled," p.22) Reason for Rejection: Not as many internal supporters of strip Magic as external supporters. Also, there was some fear of this card seeing league play.

Think of it as advance hate for Dark Depths.

Hahaha, but it wouldn't be unblockable anymore when that land is sacced =(

Where can I find "Chickens and Cows and Claims... Oh My"

Where can I find "Chickens and Cows and Claims... Oh My"

I don't know if it is available online. I found it in my bookshelf. :/

Disrobing Scepter: (see "Extra Pulled," p.22) Reason for Rejection: Not as many internal supporters of strip Magic as external supporters. Also, there was some fear of this card seeing league play.

Thanks for sharing!

I wonder what internal/external supporters refer to. Are hypothetical internal supporters the supporters playing Magic, or those playing the game of Magic that involves the Disrobing Scepter?

In answer to the previous poster, I - for one - WOULD want to play this with any opponent.
- Time Walk Variant #22: The sacrificing a kidney thing, I assumed was a reference to the rising price of the P9. ($50 or $300 for a Lotus? No way!) Maybe with a follow up joke about "This is how we reprint Time Walk without affecting the Type I players." But then I read "The goal of this card was to create a sorcery that naturally restricted itself to two uses." Good one! Well, that's one way to prevent Regrowth / Timetwister shenanigans.

- Homarid Leper: Sorrow's Path, Seafarer's Quay, and Wood Elemental. Some things never change.

- Kill Me Now, Please: Seems totally printable to me. It's like an Underworld Dreams on crack! Oh, wait, I get it.

- Amulet of Ignorance: my favorite.

- Target Target: Target spell, which targets a permanent, cannot be the target of spells or abilities that target permanents. But ... it ... all .. ready ... can ... not ... be?

- Gratuitous Babe Art: ... Guay? Guay.

- Cheat 'em And Weep: This is printable, but maybe restrict it to 10 or 20 cards rather than 60 seconds. That way the cumulative upkeep will kill it eventually, due to hitting the still random part of your deck.
I remember reading most of these the first time around.  Apparently, I'm old.
I remember reading most of these the first time around.  Apparently, I'm old.

Dude, you joined in 2003 and have 21 posts. That's the definition of old.
They reset the boards somewhere between when I created my sign on and when I felt it was important enough to start posting again (mostly to indicate just how much I hate RoE).