5/06/2010 TD: "A Little Bit of This, a Little Bit of That"

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Top Decks, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.
haha, american gladiators.  what have i done?
mmmh,
Blue decks are winning again and they even use counters.
I wonder why all the "blue sucks" whiners are not here rejoicing...
probably they'll complain anyway that there is not mono blue deck winning.

I wonder what blue haters will do now that the blue lovers aren't complaining anymore.
probably they'll complain about imaginary statements that no one actually made.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

A very nice roundup article by Mr. Flores. No silly jokes and excess lingo. That's the way I like'em. Good job.
Manaug.gif | Manawu.gif | Manau.gif | Manaub.gif | Manaur.gif
I think the grixis can afford some duress/inquisition main deck
an undisrupted specter could go all the way.
and it could use a touch more draw to compliment the jaces

If UW control becomes the new deck to hate, Standard will finally be fun to watch again.
I wonder what blue haters will do now that the blue lovers aren't complaining anymore.

There is one complaint though, that the blue control decks are expensive as hell (Baneslayers, Jaces, Gideons, Elspeths, nice broken mythic rares...)
I don't really understand why Jund has fallen so much in popularity. Do Wall of Omens, Gideon Jura, and Deprive really bump the U/W control decks to the point that they just beat Jund, or is just that people want to play decks that try out some of the new ROE cards?
I don't really understand why Jund has fallen so much in popularity. Do Wall of Omens, Gideon Jura, and Deprive really bump the U/W control decks to the point that they just beat Jund, or is just that people want to play decks that try out some of the new ROE cards?

it's a combination of factors:

1. U/W was always really good, argueably better then jund, it just finally got it's hit in the spotlight.

2. it helps that jund is to unfun to play with and thus less people are playing it becaused they are sick of it.

3. this is really more of a showcase to prove that other decks are tier 1 viable.

4. U/W is that annoying to deal with, it is definitely tier 1 worthy, and this is just proof, the hype is basically from the why does blue suck crowd seeing a blue deck beat some PTQ's and run over jund.
w00t hit my 1000th post on 4/25/2010
Show
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isblack.jpg)Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

56859838 wrote:
Well obviously goblins breed at a rate of millions of times per year, thus in a few years they had evolved into a new species... you know or....
Show
63344365 wrote:
Your asking for proof that the ocean is wet, while your standing on the beach.
56733088 wrote:
Are these rankings all anonymus? Can I go rank everybody I think is mafia with 1 star?
•Collecting a complete foil set of Zendikar block both on Magic Online and in paper Magic does not entitle you to one (1) free Richard Garfield. Because that would be slavery, and slavery is bad.
slayer of fluffy, and single handedly annoyed half of the flavor/storyline group in one fell swoop[/sblock]

Even before ROE, I was of the opinion that UWR control was the strongest deck.  It's just that I didn't have the $400 to put it together.  :P  (and with New Jace, add $150-$200 more.)  Same thing for Mythic, as the name suggests. 

Jund is a cheap deck to build (minus malestrom pulse) and it plays several of the BEST CARDS in standard.  Heck, the only amazing card it doesn't play is Baneslayer Angel.  But yeah, I've always hated Jund with a passion so I'm very glad to see UW decks have their turn.  I think with anything, once people see a deck win a tournament, everyone starts to play it. 

(Fine article, but ... doesn't wizards have copy editors to help spell "complement" correctly?)
Why do people keep on referring to UW control as BLUE control decks, when these are really WHITE control decks.   The only blue cards that are consistently played are Spreading Seas and Jace.  If Jund didn't see much play, I doubt Spreading Seas would either.    When other colors are added, it's the extra blue cards that go out first.   
Why do people keep on referring to UW control as BLUE control decks, when these are really WHITE control decks.   The only blue cards that are consistently played are Spreading Seas and Jace.  If Jund didn't see much play, I doubt Spreading Seas would either.    When other colors are added, it's the extra blue cards that go out first.   

they all play counterspells in some form or fashion. I know people who keep clamoring for better counterspells don't like to admit it but deprive, negate, cancel and the rest are good enough to play in standard without warping the format. Plus you have real choices and so many different counterspells are viable while in the past you didn't have to choose between negate, essence scatter, or deprive instead you just always chose counterspell because it's obviously better.

Like others I belive that we've seen a disproportionate number of jund decks because it was much cheaper to build. Rather than RoE making much of an impact directly on U/W or Jund decks I think it's just the nature of players to try out something new.
Don't be too smart to have fun
Don't forget Mind Spring. Even Divination is OK. Plus any of the three good Sphinxes in Standard. Even though white is the main color in U/W, blue is still necessary for CA, Jace, counters and Colonnade.

ROFTL

You only have to look at the poster in the second page who complained about the presence of the color white in those decks.
You can call me Nostradamus if you want ;P