War of attrition errata

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
In the recent patch, war of attrition lost virtually the entire attack bonus, at least, for inspiring warlords. While that not seem too bad, the problem is that in it's current form, it is inferior to the level 3 encounter power of the same warlord build, warlord's strike. The advantages this last power has are as follows:

-The damage bonus is larger.
-The damage bonus in untyped.
-The damage bonus lasts longer.
-The damage bonus is not restricted to only basic attacks and at-will powers.

Combined, the above four factors heaviliy outweigh the +1 bonus to hit that is still on war of attrition, and the potential to continue if the focus target goes down. Especially the restriction to basic attacks hurts the power, since starting in paragon, most characters will have such a number of encounter and daily attack powers that at-will powers will rarely be used. The power simply does not make using them appealable over encounter powers anymore, which highly narrows it's usefulless. Aside from that, it feels rather disappointing to level from level 3 to 7 as an inspiring warlord to see your specific power being a weaker version of the power you already have.

To fix this, I would increase the to-hit bonus of the power to a higher, yet static value, such as +3 or something similar. The power really needs to grant a more substantial bonus to hit for it to be viable, to stay something that can truly give inspiring warlords a chance to shine against the superior powers/presences of for instance tactical warlords and bravura warlords.

Warlord's Strike gives 1 more damage, at loss of 1 attack.
Warlord's Strike is against a single target, Warlord's Attrition is against any.
Those are both big advantages over Warlord Strike.

The main thing Warlord's Strike has going for it is that it's not only with basics and at-wills. Which is an advantage for Warlord's Strike, certainly, but depending on the group you might like one or the other, or both. If you have a Swordmage and Wizard tossing around close/area at-wills, War is a much stronger choice, for instance. If you're about to handout basic attacks, War is a stronger choice.

It's still a good power. It's still worth its level. It's just no longer an amazing one. And I play as a warlord who has both, saying that.
Keith Richmond Living Forgotten Realms Epic Writing Director
Warlord's Strike gives 1 more damage, at loss of 1 attack.
Warlord's Strike is against a single target, Warlord's Attrition is against any.
Those are both big advantages over Warlord Strike.

The main thing Warlord's Strike has going for it is that it's not only with basics and at-wills. Which is an advantage for Warlord's Strike, certainly, but depending on the group you might like one or the other, or both. If you have a Swordmage and Wizard tossing around close/area at-wills, War is a much stronger choice, for instance. If you're about to handout basic attacks, War is a stronger choice.

It's still a good power. It's still worth its level. It's just no longer an amazing one. And I play as a warlord who has both, saying that.

I currently still have both powers as well, however, the problem is that the +5 damage/+1 hit bonus war of attrition provides will never make an at-will preferable over an encounter power. With 2[W]/xDx powers abundant (and players supposedly having at least 1d10 weapons), encounter powers are already equal on damage and presumably have a more powerful secondary effect. Starting paragon, with 4 encounter powers per combat and 3 daily powers, it's feasable to go through an encounter without ever using an at-will, which makes the power highly situational. It intends to largely resitrict the options of your allies for a very marginal benefit. In addition, being typed and short-durated  prevents it's effect from stacking/woking as well with certrain nova daily power like War Master's Assault.

I suppose the exception to this is when you have allies with hugely powerful aoe at-wills such as thunderwave and swordburst. However, even with the unnerfed version, there were plenty of times people still preferred to use their encounter powers. With this version, I don't see it happening very often.

The main concern that I have is that this power is what gave inspiring warlords a unique and powerful feature compared to Bravelords and Taclords, which allowed the build to be competative. Do you feel as if an often unrequired/weak surgeless heal weighs up to free attacks and massive+scaling to hit bonusses? This seems to be the current comparison as the powers unique to the inspiring warlord feel as if they are rather weak or easily replaced by generic warlord ones.