Playtest: Lurk

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
ok here is another humble attempt at converting another of my favorite classes into 4th ed. Th flavor comes directly from complete psionics. Any suggestions and/or constructive feedback will be truly appreciated. (Feel free to check out my other creations in my sig)

Last Update (February 28 2011):
www.box.net/shared/0qcq2ksy7h

Updates so far:
Powers up to 6th level and some 7th level (February 28 2011)
Powers up to 5th level (may 06 2010)
lvl 1 at-wills and daily powers. (May 04 2010)
It seems like the Lurk is missing a striker mechanic. Just eyeballing it, they couldn't compare to other strikers in the game. The Psionic Focus power doesn't really put you at odds with the focused creature like the flavor suggests. In play, the most reasonable response to that would be to avoid the Lurk while the Lurk tails him and pings him. Its like an anti-defender power.

At this point, the Lurk looks like a controller. But there's a lot of potential in the idea of a Lurk. There's so much potential between the Psionic Augmentation class feature and the striker role and Wizards left it wide open with the monk as the Psionic power source's striker.

If I had any experience with the Psionic power source in 4e, I'd be glad to help. But alas...

EDIT: Also, page 4 has The Archivist on the top part of the page.
Homebrew classes: Guerrilla, Airbender, Earthbender, Firebender, and Waterbender. (PHASE 2 BEGINS! Tell us how we could make these classes better. The Shadow power source done right.

It seems like the Lurk is missing a striker mechanic. Just eyeballing it, they couldn't compare to other strikers in the game. The Psionic Focus power doesn't really put you at odds with the focused creature like the flavor suggests. In play, the most reasonable response to that would be to avoid the Lurk while the Lurk tails him and pings him. Its like an anti-defender power.

At this point, the Lurk looks like a controller. But there's a lot of potential in the idea of a Lurk. There's so much potential between the Psionic Augmentation class feature and the striker role and Wizards left it wide open with the monk as the Psionic power source's striker.

If I had any experience with the Psionic power source in 4e, I'd be glad to help. But alas...

EDIT: Also, page 4 has The Archivist on the top part of the page.

Indeed there is a lot of potential for a psionic striker and i as well feel my build so far feels as a controller more than a striker. The 1st lvl at-wills need some work, i am aware of that and thats why i posted it here since i am new with psionics (4e ones) so my ideas may not come out as good as i want them to be. The theme of my lurk is its psionic focus and being able to deal lots of damage and/or hinder him as the lurk picks on him.
I believe you can help me out with suggestions for powers or even just simply giving out concept ideas and i will work with that. Also, thank you for the archivist heads up, i use the same word file to format all my classes. 

So in your opinion how would the lurk class feel more like a striker and less like a controller?

P.S Controller will be the lurk's secondary roll, but not to control crowds only a target at a time.
ok i made a few modifications and added powers up to 5th level, please comment and critique.
(link is in the first post) 
Before i continue i could surely use some feedback. I could do this on my own and not publish it to the public but i chose to do it so other people could use it. Thanks in advance.
"before you make your attack roll" in the moment of prescience seems like odd phrasing, I'm not sure I've seen that kind of thing on a power before.

Also, how does Psionic Focus scale with tier?

You've got a very professional setup there, are you using a template?
"before you make your attack roll" in the moment of prescience seems like odd phrasing, I'm not sure I've seen that kind of thing on a power before.

Also, how does Psionic Focus scale with tier?

You've got a very professional setup there, are you using a template?

Granted the wording is a bit odd, will try to fix that. About psionic focus i dont want it to be like the warlock or ranger or rogue, i want to think of another way to scale damage for the Lurk and if i cant, then i will go with mechanics common for strikers... This is why i look for feedback in the forums because if i cant come up with something i am certain that someone will, or make me realize that sometimes is better to go with what its known than to try to be original.

I made the template in microsoft word and then export it to pdf, if you want a similar template i can make one for you.
Ah I hadn't seen the riders yet. If I understand correctly, your idea is to have half the extra damage be riders on the powers and half part of focus, giving sort of a ranger/barbarian blend of mechanics. I like the idea. It sounds very tricky to implement/balance, and I can't really think of any good advice to give on that front, but that's not to say it can't be done. New at-wills every few levels may actually help control the scaling better than a class like the barbarian can.
Ah I hadn't seen the riders yet. If I understand correctly, your idea is to have half the extra damage be riders on the powers and half part of focus, giving sort of a ranger/barbarian blend of mechanics. I like the idea. It sounds very tricky to implement/balance, and I can't really think of any good advice to give on that front, but that's not to say it can't be done. New at-wills every few levels may actually help control the scaling better than a class like the barbarian can.

Correct! i havent worked on any powers yet because i am trying to balance out the at-will  powers by level. For example a lvl 3 lurk that takes the unfocusing strike at-will power and uses it against his psionic focus target deals 1 [W] + intelligence modifier psychic damage + 1d6 of psychic damage from psionic focus powers + 1d6 for the target being its focus + the target grants combat advantage.
if the Lurk uses a weapon that deals 1d8 the math would be:
1d8 + int mod + 2d6 psychic damage + combat advantage.

I believe the power itself is too strong for a lvl 3. 
Sorry for the long wait, lurk has been update even though its not much.
Sign In to post comments