Questions about hovering + stealth (Session 8)

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
If a creature is invisible and moves (fly+hovers) more than 3 spaces, does it need to make stealth checks at -5 to not be heard?

session 8 specific
I saw nothing special about Specter's stealth/invisibility. I assume the players would be able to hear the specter if their passive perception exceeded its stealth check when it was moving while invisible.

I could use some tips/insight on how to handle this for players detecting an invisible+moving creature.

Thanks!
Yes, a creature needs to make a Stealth check (at -2) to remain Hidden if it moves more than 2 squares per round; the penalty is -5 if the creature Runs. Enemies have to exceed the Stealth check by 10 to identify the specific square the Invisible creature is in, however. If Perception rolls (or Passive Perception) meets or exceed the Invisible creatures Stealth check (but not by 10) they just know the general direction -- not the specific square.

If the Invisible creature attacks it immediately loses Hidden status which means its enemies know which square it is in. Melee or Ranged attacks against an Invisible creature are -5 to hit and you must know or correctly guess the square the Invisible creature is in; there is no penalty for Close and Area attacks.

Note that you cannot gain Combat Advantage against a creature you cannot see; Flanking, Dazing/Stunning/Restraining or Knocking it Prone does not gain a +2 to hit and Rogues cannot Sneak Attack. Many DMs forget this.
My understanding was its a -5 if you move more than 2 and -10 if you run. (From PHB2 p222)

Is there another source of information that says differently for creatures?

moving into enemy space
Also, what happens if a player trys to enter the square of the specter while its invisible? I figure because its insubstantial, I might let them feel something "cold". If they end their square there, I might push them out 1 space. RAW says that the hidden creature become no longer hidden when an enemy enters their space -- although the specter would still remain invisible.
Compendium does list the same penalties -5 for moving more than 2, -10 for running.
Joe
Enemies have to exceed the Stealth check by 10 to identify the specific square the Invisible creature is in, however. If Perception rolls (or Passive Perception) meets or exceed the Invisible creatures Stealth check (but not by 10) they just know the general direction -- not the specific square.

This is wrong; this is old information that was corrected in PHB2. There is no -10 to perception to find invisible creatures and you always know the square (if passive perception exceeds the stealth check), never just a direction.

Also, in addition to thieves sneak attack not working, almost no striker extra damage abilities can be placed on invisible creatures (they still work if you get them before they go invisible): no hunter's quarry, no assassin shrouds, no warlock's curse, no avenger's oath.
Also, in addition to thieves sneak attack not working, almost no striker extra damage abilities can be placed on invisible creatures (they still work if you get them before they go invisible): no hunter's quarry, no assassin shrouds, no warlock's curse, no avenger's oath.

I've never heard of the sneak attack problem before, care to cite?

And as to not being able to quarry etc. if it becomes invisible too early; that would be a problem if it were going to stay that way...
Edit, my CP of the text was incomplete ...] Under definition of Combat Advantage "Able to See Target: You must be able to see a target to gain combat advantage against it.". Since Sneak Attack requires Combat Advantage, you're not going to get it on an invisible target unless you can see invisible (e.g. Blindsight).
Edit, my CP of the text was incomplete ...] Under definition of Combat Advantage "Able to See Target: You must be able to see a target to gain combat advantage against it.". Since Sneak Attack requires Combat Advantage, you're not going to get it on an invisible target unless you can see invisible (e.g. Blindsight).

Yes, this.
I've never heard of the sneak attack problem before, care to cite?

It is not just Sneak Attack that Invisibility denies but Combat Advantage itself. From the PH1 p.279:

COMBAT ADVANTAGE

+2 Bonus to Attack Rolls: You gain a +2 bonus to your attack roll when you have combat advantage against the target of your attack.

Able to See Target: You must be able to see a target to gain combat advantage against it.

Sign In to post comments